Coffee Shop

Rheo

pollyannaish

5 Ways to Educate People About the Realities of Disaster Recovery

Eric Holdeman

May 30, 2013

A 2010 American Red Cross survey found that an alarming 75 percent of 1,058 respondents expected help to arrive within an hour if they posted a request on a social media site. Hold that thought.

(Snip)

There are A Lot of really stupid[/b] people out there.

Hahahahaha! No kidding.

Sharyl Attkisson on being hacked: My computers turned themselves on and off in the middle of the night

Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, a follow-up to Fridays post. Forgive me for a possibly stupid question but when she says that her computers were turning on and off, she means they were powering on and then powering down, not that they were merely waking up from sleep mode, right? When I tweeted the link to this, a bunch of people tweeted back that a computer might wake up automatically due to Windows Update. But Attkisson has had professional computer forensics people investigate, though; obviously she knows the difference by now between a computer updating itself and doing something freaky weird like powering on. The question is, how could a remote intruder access the computer in the first place if it was powered down? They would have needed to gain physical access to the machine and installed some sort of remote power switch, I assume. And why would they do something like that if, per Attkisson herself, they took sophisticated steps to erase their digital fingerprints after they messed around in her hard drive? If you dont want your target to know shes being hacked then maybe dont alert her by remotely powering on her computer. Something doesnt add up.

Maybe she means that her computers did merely wake up from sleep mode but that there was no apparent explanation for it, including automatic updating?

(Snip)

That was also the pic at the top of Drudge last night. Doesn't look like there's much connection between those two. biggrin.png

However, according to Drudge Michelle announced before a performance of Riverdance that it was great to be home. Michelle is Irish? blink.png

However, according to Drudge Michelle announced before a performance of Riverdance that it was great to be home. Michelle is Irish? blink.png

Black Irish? smile.png

I don't think so....

Apparently she considers herself a citizen of the world, much like her husband, as opposed to being an American citizen. dry.png

Black Irish? smile.png

I don't think so....

Apparently she considers herself a citizen of the world, much like her husband, as opposed to being an American citizen. dry.png

I think its really great and a high honor that they choose to live in this hate filled, racist, homophobic, islamaphobic, every other kind of phobic country instead of some other enlightened nation, like say Zimbabwe, or Venezuela. I think we the great unwashed should show a bit more appreciation for all they have done to for us.

• Like 2

Sharyl Attkisson on being hacked: My computers turned themselves on and off in the middle of the night

Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, a follow-up to Fridays post. Forgive me for a possibly stupid question but when she says that her computers were turning on and off, she means they were powering on and then powering down, not that they were merely waking up from sleep mode, right? When I tweeted the link to this, a bunch of people tweeted back that a computer might wake up automatically due to Windows Update. But Attkisson has had professional computer forensics people investigate, though; obviously she knows the difference by now between a computer updating itself and doing something freaky weird like powering on. The question is, how could a remote intruder access the computer in the first place if it was powered down? They would have needed to gain physical access to the machine and installed some sort of remote power switch, I assume. And why would they do something like that if, per Attkisson herself, they took sophisticated steps to erase their digital fingerprints after they messed around in her hard drive? If you dont want your target to know shes being hacked then maybe dont alert her by remotely powering on her computer. Something doesnt add up.

Maybe she means that her computers did merely wake up from sleep mode but that there was no apparent explanation for it, including automatic updating?

(Snip)

Sharyl Attkisson: I think I know who hacked into my computers

Allahpundit

6/18/13

She covers some of the same ground with OReilly that she covered in yesterdays CBS segment, but he finally gets her to confirm near the end that yes, she has a solid suspicion about whodunnit. And if shes willing to make an issue of this on her network, let alone another one, while taking care to emphasize that this all happened while she was working on stories that embarrassed Obama and his DOJ, its abundantly clear who she thinks the culprit is. You dont go on national news to talk about being hacked if you think its some kid halfway around the world who was messing around.

One obvious question, though: Why go public with this before shes prepared to formally accuse someone? Im guessing maybe she thought that, after the hacker caused her so much anxiety by violating her privacy, shed make him/them sweat a bit too by teasing the exposure to come. Or maybe the revelations about the AP and James Rosen prompted her to start talking about this before she had planned to. No sense holding back on your own bombshell about government harassment of reporters when the medias been chattering about other instances for weeks.

(Snip)

http://youtu.be/ISXYITh09TA

SrWoodchuck

New Statue of Liberty to be placed at the border with Mexico.

Inscription will read: Come & Get It!

statue-of-liberty-on-mex-border1.jpg

H/T:WhatBubbaKnows

SrWoodchuck

goin’ full jackass http://www.sondrakistan.com/2013/06/18/goin-full-jackass/

President Barack Obama repeated the oft disproved claim that Catholic education increases division in front of an audience of 2000 young people, including many Catholics, at Belfast’s Waterfront hall when he arrived in the country this morning.

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” the US president said.Scissors-32x32.png

More here:

http://www.sconews.co.uk/news/29253/us-president-undermines-catholic-schools-after-vatican-prefect-praised-them/

Oh Brother… Obama Tells Irish Audience “Hope” Can Resolve Wars (Video)

Jim Hoft

some of us who are war mongering haters who hate prefer this.

The huge problem is there are people out there who don't really truly understand that there are people out there that you cannot reason with.

You can however drop a 500lb bomb on them. Ok its a short term solution...but sometimes short term solutions are all you have.

righteousmomma

Novelist Vince Flynn, who was diagnosed with stage three metastatic prostate cancer in 2010, but continued to write his best-selling thrillers, has died at the age of 47.

Flynn died Wednesday morning at United Hospital in St. Paul.

He's best known for his CIA page-turners that starred Mitch Rapp, a counterterrorism operative who made Flynn the darling of conservatives.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2013/06/19/best-selling-author-vince-flynn-dies-at-age-47/2437951/

Novelist Vince Flynn, who was diagnosed with stage three metastatic prostate cancer in 2010, but continued to write his best-selling thrillers, has died at the age of 47.

He's best known for his CIA page-turners that starred Mitch Rapp, a counterterrorism operative who made Flynn the darling of conservatives.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2013/06/19/best-selling-author-vince-flynn-dies-at-age-47/2437951/

That's a very sad news update. He was not only a great writer (IMO) but was a good guy that gets it.

I've read or listened to most of his books in the Rapp series.

• Like 1

200,000 to 4,000.

That's pretty significant drop off... Maybe it was caused by the angle of the sun.

(Oh, that was Matthew's excuse for Barry teleprompter fizzle.)

"Frankly, I don't know what it is about California, but we seem to have a strange urge to elect really obnoxious women to high office. I'm not bragging, you understand, but no other state, including Maine, even comes close. When it comes to sending left-wing dingbats to Washington, we're Number One. There's no getting around the fact that the last time anyone saw the likes of Barbara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein, Maxine Waters, and Nancy Pelosi, they were stirring a cauldron when the curtain went up on 'Macbeth'. The four of them are like jackasses who happen to possess the gift of blab. You don't know if you should condemn them for their stupidity or simply marvel at their ability to form words."

--Columnist Burt Prelutsky, Los Angeles Times

Saw this quote from the LATimes columnist posted elsewhere. Pretty well nails it.

• Like 3

clearvision

That's a very sad news update. He was not only a great writer (IMO) but was a good guy that gets it.

I've read or listened to most of his books in the Rapp series.

Yes sad news. Very much enjoyed his work.
  • Like 1