Candidate - Herman Cain

Geee

WestVirginiaRebel

Herman Cain to Occupy Wall Street protesters: If you're not rich 'blame yourself'

Unemployed Wall Street protesters only have themselves to blame for lacking a job, so says Herman Cain.

The Republican presidential candidate insisted that the demonstrations were being "orchestrated" to help President Obama.

"I don't have the facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama Administration," Cain told the Wall Street Journal.

The Tea Party favorite then argued that the plight of the unemployed was their own fault.

"Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself. It is not someone's fault if they succeeded, it is someone's fault if they failed," the ex-Godfather's Pizza CEO declared.

righteousmomma

I like Herman Cain too. Always have. Heard him on Beck today and like him more. Of all the candidates invited to Israel he was the only one who actually went. He went with no fanfare and according to Beck asked for nothing from Beck. Beck only knew he was there because he saw him in the audience. Cain may be too much a throw back to my generation - which to me is great - but to others maybe not. I think in the long run he might be better as a V.P.JMO

Oh, and welcome RoseD1st. :blush::)

RighteousMomma! I like him too but Cain stepped in it big time without checking out the background Perry's leased hunting camp at Niggerhead.

His Florida vote went to his head. Reminds me of the crow and the grapes by Jim Bob Aesop.

CAIN: I don’t have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself! [...] It is not someone’s fault if they succeeded, it is someone’s fault if they failed.

Sometimes it is better not to speak the truth too loudly.... The press is all over this comment.

There;s a lot more unemployed voters out there than there are millionaires.

RighteousMomma! I like him too but Cain stepped in it big time without checking out the background Perry's leased hunting camp at Niggerhead.

His Florida vote went to his head. Reminds me of the crow and the grapes by Jim Bob Aesop.

Cain's remarks with regards to that homosexual soldier disturbed me, too. He has got to stop letting the MSM lead him by the nose. Franly, I think he'll wither under the spotlight, especially when the hostile Obamamedia hammer him on the 999 plan.

CAIN: I don’t have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Don’t blame Wall Street, don’t blame the big banks, if you don’t have a job and you’re not rich, blame yourself! [...] It is not someone’s fault if they succeeded, it is someone’s fault if they failed.

Sometimes it is better not to speak the truth too loudly.... The press is all over this comment.

I cringed when I read that comment also.

I was reading the reader response comments below, and they were very critical with more than one "I was a Cain supporter, but after this comment he's lost me."

One of the things I admire most about Herman Cain, is the fact that he doesn't seem to have as much BS, as the usual pol [Dem./Rep./Ind. or Libert.]

If you examine his life, he has lived what he just said....in truth.

Have we become so jaded by the double-speak & half truth of our present class of politicians, that we are repelled by straight talk?

righteousmomma

I agree, pepper.

I also agree with several other comments here.

Just not 100% thrilled with anyone right now but will vote for whoever the Republican nominee is. Some things I like about each and some things I don't or have reservations about. Don't think though we will have much choice in the matter.

SrWoodchuck, it depends on who "we" is. In general I suspect most R's have no problem with the idea he was conveying. He certainly will piss of the media and left with those comments AND in our current environment I know alot of hard working people that are trying to recover from layoffs, etc. that are quite smart, hard workers, but with the current environment it is hard to say "blame yourself". You of course should not go around blaming others for your misfortune, but I think this one was just a little over the top in this environment. It is not easy trying to recover a job in this economy, especially if you are older, no matter how good you are.

Also everything he says now will come back to haunt him if he makes to be the nominee. He does not have to be wishy washy, but at the same time should not be poking ants nests for very little benefit.

RighteousMomma! Correct. The great thing about any of these Republican candidates is that there are some things to like and some things not to like about each.

Conversely, given a Democrat such as Obama, there is ZERO about him to like.

SrWoodchuck, it depends on who "we" is. In general I suspect most R's have no problem with the idea he was conveying. He certainly will piss of the media and left with those comments AND in our current environment I know alot of hard working people that are trying to recover from layoffs, etc. that are quite smart, hard workers, but with the current environment it is hard to say "blame yourself". You of course should not go around blaming others for your misfortune, but I think this one was just a little over the top in this environment. It is not easy trying to recover a job in this economy, especially if you are older, no matter how good you are.

Also everything he says now will come back to haunt him if he makes to be the nominee. He does not have to be wishy washy, but at the same time should not be poking ants nests for very little benefit.

Clearvision!

I just hate to think that in order to be electable, Herman must undergo what amounts to a reformat....becoming part of the machine that is not working.

Stifle, Herman...or the co-opted lame stream media, will write bad things about you & demonize you as an insensitive black bigot. He already has the leper's mark of 'conservative'....which apparently outweighs every other qualification. I write this as a 58 year old business [3 actaully since the mid-70's] owner, watching Obama & progressives destroy my life opportunities; while Republicans play pitty-pat & let's not look bad, before the 2012 election. From someone who has never taken a handout [even government cheese,] to a 'retiree' with squat....due to the ruination of our economy & the progressive policy of removing wealth from those that produce....& giving to those who only feel entitled. I guess, from my perspective, I prefer someone that speaks & acts plainly; over someone that has polish & a great team.

Maybe my eyes are just glazed over by the accepted & approved crapola. I never want to vote for a McCain to defeat an Obama again.

shoutValin! Is this what you wanted?

Nothing I have seen lately has so shown the difference between the Left and the Right.

WSJ: Cain's Post-Racial Promise

Black individuals who don't see themselves primarily as victims are a threat to the political left.

JASON L. RILEY

When Barack Obama and Herman Cain both ran for U.S. Senate seats in 2004, Mr. Obama was the media's Chosen One and Mr. Cain was the Invisible Man. That was then.

(Snip)

"One of the most important lessons Dad taught us was not to feel like victims. He never felt like a victim; he never talked like a victim," writes Mr. Cain of his youth in the Jim Crow South. "And both of our parents"—his mother worked as a maid and his father was a chauffeur—"taught us not to think that the government owed us something. They didn't teach us to be mad at this country." Is it any wonder that Mr. Cain wound up as a conservative Republican?

Black individuals who don't see themselves primarily as victims are a threat to the political left, which helps explain why MSNBC commentators have derided Mr. Cain as a token and why Jon Stewart has mocked him in tones that evoke Amos 'n' Andy or Stepin Fetchit. To secure political victories, Democrats need blacks to vote for them in unison. Independent thinking cannot be tolerated.

No one is hoping more than the White House that Mr. Cain fades away. If he doesn't, Mr. Obama's fear of Mr. Romney winning independent voters next year could turn into a fear of Mr. Cain peeling away black support. Black enthusiasm for the president remains high but has slipped in recent months, and a black alternative to Mr. Obama is not a scenario that Democrats would welcome.

WestVirginiaRebel

Herman Cain fires back in highly offensive MSNBC interview

I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard a more offensive interview on MSNBC than the one I just heard from Lawrence O’Donnell with Herman Cain. In one interview O’Donnell managed to accuse Herman Cain of not only sitting on the sidelines during the civil rights movement, but also of dodging the Vietnam war. His contempt for a black Republican has never been more clear.

At one point in the interview, O’Donnell asked Cain where America would be right now if Rosa Parks took his dad’s advice to stay out of trouble and just sit in the back of the bus. Seriously. It was like he was trying to prove that Cain hadn’t earned his black skin or something. It was terribly offensive and I hope Cain never steps foot again in the studios of MSNBC.

I will say that Cain proved he could hold his own and not be rattled by the offensive assumptions of these whackos on MSNBC. He hit back in the interview several times but always kept his cool. He could have hit back more in my opinion but overall I think he did great.

Some more from Legal Insurrection:

Lawrence O’Donnell lectures and snidely criticized Herman Cain, who was a minor when Rosa Parks refused to sit in the back of the bus in 1955 and in high school for the desegregation fights in the late 1950s and early 1960s, for not participating in civil rights demonstrations later in the 1960s. The Freedom Rides referenced in the interview and as to which O’Donnell lambasted Cain for not participating, were in 1961, when Cain was in high school.

Just unreal... :wacko:

pollyannaish

Here's the thing as I see it on race.

We need a successful BLACK man fighting the Elite White Establishment in order to change the dynamics in this country. If Obama loses, race relations will dissolve and we are going to have SERIOUS trouble in the next decade or so. If a successful, strong and well spoken black man becomes President, and he relates to us "regular folks" we will put a chance at changing race relations in this country significantly and we may save a couple of generations from self sabotage.

But only if Cain can be successful. I believe he can. He will make mistakes like he did...but if we can not forgive a candidate one or two mistakes then we should not be considering Romney or Perry either. Cain is a scrappy fighter with a great story. He's not afraid to be in the ring. He's not afraid to go to the mat. He isn't always diplomatic, but he speaks his mind and you know EXACTLY where he stands whether you like it or not. He is CLEAR.

The thing we all need to remember is that if we put Ronald Reagan's stands on issues on the table, he wasn't all that exciting. And if we put his actual accomplishments on the table, it was a mixed bag. What made President Reagan the beloved figure he was, was his ability to connect, his rags to riches story, his willingness to say FLAT OUT what he saw as the truth without any fancy rhetoric and his ability to not shrink from a fight...but at the same time not degrade those with whom he disagreed. It was his character, his temperament and his belief in Americans and what this country stands for that made him the right man for the job at that time. It was NOT his policy stances.

Hermain Cain is offering up some ideas that I don't find practical. But he has the basic understanding of America, he understand what we stand for, he won't shrink from important fights...and most of all...he BELIEVES in US. When you hear him talk, he doesn't focus on all this namby pamby government policy stuff. He talks about what a FANTASTIC resource America is. He understands that the American people will solve the financial crisis, not he government.

He really is a uniter who will rob Obama of his one ugly weapon. The race card.

And that is why, I am supporting Herman Cain for President of the United States. It is not a protest vote. It is not because there is nobody better. It is because I see in him ( a very human an likely to make mistakes like everyone else him) the very qualities that we need right now to return this country to a positive path.

I don't see that SPECIFIC quality in a single other person on the stage.

So there you have it. I like his "intangibles." :lol:

pollyannaish

The man is smart; he has integrity; he cares. No phoniness.

Oh man Randy! You put my whole long hoopla into eleven words. BRAVO! :D

Herman Cain fires back in highly offensive MSNBC interview

I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard a more offensive interview on MSNBC than the one I just heard from Lawrence O’Donnell with Herman Cain. In one interview O’Donnell managed to accuse Herman Cain of not only sitting on the sidelines during the civil rights movement, but also of dodging the Vietnam war. His contempt for a black Republican has never been more clear.

At one point in the interview, O’Donnell asked Cain where America would be right now if Rosa Parks took his dad’s advice to stay out of trouble and just sit in the back of the bus. Seriously. It was like he was trying to prove that Cain hadn’t earned his black skin or something. It was terribly offensive and I hope Cain never steps foot again in the studios of MSNBC.

I will say that Cain proved he could hold his own and not be rattled by the offensive assumptions of these whackos on MSNBC. He hit back in the interview several times but always kept his cool. He could have hit back more in my opinion but overall I think he did great.

Good Stuff!

MSNBC's O'Donnell Shamelessly Tries to Paint Herman Cain -- Who Worked for Navy Dept. -- As Draft-dodger

LAWRENCE O’DONNELL, HOST: Question about the Commander in Chief role. I misread your book in its references to the Navy, and I thought you served in the Navy. You're now telling me you didn't. Can you explain how you avoided military service during the Vietnam War and during the draft and why you should be Commander in Chief if you did successfully avoid military service during the war that came during what would have been your war years, how you, after avoiding the Vietnam War, why should you be Commander in Chief?

Can you imagine O'Donnell asking this question of Bill Clinton who completely evaded the Vietnam War? This seems especially absurd as Cain while in college worked full-time for the Department of the Navy developing fire control systems for ships and fighter planes:

HERMAN CAIN, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Lawrence, you know, do you stay up night to come up with the wording in these questions or do you have someone writing them for you?

O’DONNELL: I just thought of that one right now when I heard you didn't serve in the Navy or the military during Vietnam.

CAIN: First of all --

O’DONNELL: How did you do that?

CAIN: Lawrence, first of all, I wanted to clarify the record because I didn't want to be accused later of saying that I served in the Navy. And if you read the book closely, it says I worked for the Department of the Navy. Now, your choice of words to say, “How did I avoid the Vietnam War?” I wasn't trying to avoid the Vietnam War. Here's what happened, Lawrence. I was working in a critical area called exterior ballistics. I worked on something called the rocket-assisted projectile for the Department of the Navy. It was my local board in Atlanta, Georgia, that told me, we would rather for you to continue to do that analytical work to help the Navy rather than us drafting you. Secondly, when they had the lottery, I made myself available. The year that they had the lottery for the draft they did not draft me because they didn't get to my number. So I think that's a poor choice of words on your part, to say that I avoided the Vietnam War. I made myself available to my country, and they did not draft me. The rest of the time I was serving my country in a critical role called exterior ballistics analysis. So I am offended with your choice of words in terms of what I was doing during the Vietnam War.

Seems like a good answer, right? Not for O'Donnell who continued to press the issue:

O’DONNELL: I am offended on behalf of all the veterans of the Vietnam War who joined, Mr. Cain. The veterans who did not wait to be drafted like John Kerry who joined. They didn't sit there and wait to find out what their draft board was going to do. They had the courage to join and to go and fight that war. What prevented you from joining, and what gives you the feeling that after having made that choice you should be the Commander in Chief?

snip