Candidate - Herman Cain

Geee

righteousmomma
RUSH: Folks, I don't want to mention any names out there 'cause I frankly don't particularly like the names I would have to mention. They're already making fun of Herman Cain and the way he talks on television. They're already doing that. Now, they never did that with the Bamster, as you know. It was just the exact opposite. Obama, oh, my God, look at the crease of his slacks. Oh, my God, what a smart guy. David Brooks said he was destined not just to be president, he was gonna be a great one because of the crease in his slacks. And we're supposed to rely on that, conservative columnist for the New York Times. That's the criteria which we are supposed to accept Obama being qualified. "Smart guy, very serious candidate, Rush, very, very serious, a man of incredible depth, you can hear it. He's incredibly nuanced. He's elegant in the way he speaks, very, very eloquent and elegant."

I remember the commentators were marveling at the way Obama spoke and put syllables together. I can just tell you they're out there making fun of the way Herman Cain talks, just like they make fun of everything else about Palin. They make fun of everything about Palin. They make fun of Romney about being a Mormon and being a cookie cutter Ken doll. I don't know what they're making fun of Pawlenty for but they're making fun of Pawlenty, but they're not making fun of Obama. Herman Cain, if I had to say, Herman probably represents everything the news media says does not exist. Herman Cain is articulate; he is very highly successful; he is a conservative Republican who is black; and that is what they tell you doesn't exist, and that is a primary problem that Herman Cain has.

You identify yourself as a black conservative and you may as well be admitting that you're a whore or a prostitute, an Uncle Tom, you've been bought off, whatever, you aren't real. It's not possible for a black person to be conservative. The way the media and the left look at this country, a black person who is conservative is a black person who would agree with the whole notion of slavery and would wanna be a slave owner. That's how bad it is that is how devoid and distanced from reality that they are. But I mean the media will not even admit that somebody like Herman Cain can exist. Look what they do to black Americans who identify themselves as conservatives.

Now, if you want to talk genuine intelligence, if you want to talk real depth of education, Shelby Steele, writer, professor, economics, stuff appears in the Wall Street Journal. Thomas Sowell, a brilliant economist, philosopher, an incredibly deep individual. Our sometimes guest host, Walter Williams, ditto. These people don't exist. They are black conservatives. They are traitors. They don't deserve any legitimacy at all as far as the media is concerned, as far as the left is concerned. They don't even deserve respect. Legitimacy of any kind. And, of course, it's the height of unfairness. That's what it is. And that's one of the hard, cold realities of politics. It is what it is, and you have to deal with what it is day in and day out.

Politics is the epitome, just like meritocracy in sports, it's the epitome of there's no such thing as fair. And a lot of people think that life is not fair and that the attempt to make it fair, thus the attempt to legislate outcomes, is destructive and devoid of any reality, because it cannot be done. Genuine fairness has been defined by these people as everybody is the same, everybody finishes the same. Everybody gets up, if they survive the abortion. They go to work. They get a job, and they all earn the same amount of money. They all live in the same kind of house. They all pollute just as little or as much as their neighbors. They all have the same kinds of cars. They all have the same kind of kids, who all go to the same kind of college.

That's the utopia. Everybody's the same. And to make that happen we're gonna take away money from people who don't conform, people who have too much, whose car is too big, whose houses are too big, "Don't worry about it. We'll take what they've got and we'll give it to you and we'll make everybody the same." Flies in the face of what everybody left, right, independent, Libertarian, everybody in politics knows there is no such thing as fairness. Not only is there no fairness in politics, there really isn't any fairness in life, when you get down to brass tacks.

shoutRMomma

This is not a race issue, it is a Dem vs Rep issue. I can remember Bush/Gore race where Dubya was described as an idiot in the press, and Gore the "genius". It didn't matter that GWB finished higher in his class at Yale than did Gore, or that he earned his post graduate degree at Harvard, while Gore flunked out of post graduate school. Further, the press tried to trash 43's military record, while ignoring the fact that Algore had none.

Being a black conservative is not easy in this country, but Cain, as well as others, are getting the exact same treatment as conservative women in politics. If the demographics are traditionally liberal, prepare to play Joan of Arc.

righteousmomma

shoutRMomma

This is not a race issue, it is a Dem vs Rep issue. I can remember Bush/Gore race where Dubya was described as an idiot in the press, and Gore the "genius". It didn't matter that GWB finished higher in his class at Yale than did Gore, or that he earned his post graduate degree at Harvard, while Gore flunked out of post graduate school. Further, the press tried to trash 43's military record, while ignoring the fact that Algore had none.

Being a black conservative is not easy in this country, but Cain, as well as others, are getting the exact same treatment as conservative women in politics. If the demographics are traditionally liberal, prepare to play Joan of Arc.

Afraid I don't see it that way, Argyle58. With the liberal/Democrats it is always about race. Cain is a threat to Obama because he is a fabulously successful, intellegent black man who is conservative -sad but a fact. Obama is President because he is black. He was the Ideal Dream Candidate for the Democrats.

Cain being a conservative does not fit the template. Guess you could say he is "out of the box" as Cain himself says he is viewed and as even water carrier for Obama Juan Williams says.

Racial double standards abound within liberalism and that is most of the LSM.

Herman Cain In Person

The candidate on the race, foreign policy, immigration, and more.

Brian Bolduc & Katrina Trinko

6/28/11

Herman Cain won’t be “trashing” his fellow tea-party candidate Michele Bachmann, but he’s convinced that his more extensive business experience will give him a boost among voters.

“I would make my case [to undecided tea-party voters] not by trashing Bachmann,” Cain tells National Review Online in a wide-ranging interview today. “I happen to think that she’s very competent, very capable, and I like the fact that she is helping to deliver the conservative message. On issues, you’re not going to find us too far apart.”

Instead, Cain pinpoints “leadership style” as the key difference between himself and the Minnesota congresswoman......(Snip)

Hugh Hewitt: Talking with the Hermanator

HH: Pleased to welcome now to the Hugh Hewitt Show Herman Cain. Herman Cain, welcome, it’s great to have you on.

HC: Hey, Hugh, I’m happy to be on. I didn’t think that you were going to have me on this quick after we saw each other in Des Moines. I only wanted one mea culpa.

HH: Well, I already told the audience that you would be beating up on me today because of my oft-stated opinion that is now in ruins, that you were not a serious candidate.

HC: (laughing)(Snip)

Herman Cain.com A Real Leader. com

Herman Cain Revs Up Mainstream Conservatives

ATLANTA – Bolstered by support from his loyal radio talk-show audience and tea party backers, businessman Herman Cain has revved up mainstream conservatives, rising recently to third place in a poll of voters in Iowa, the leadoff caucus state.

In his pursuit of the Republican presidential nomination, Cain's views on the economy and his fiery delivery have resonated with some in the GOP.

His campaign has also been marked by controversy, including his comment that he would not want a Muslim bent on killing Americans in his administration. Just this week, Cain accused comedian Jon Stewart of disliking him because he is an "American black conservative."

Already losing some of his cachet to tea party favorite Michele Bachmann, Cain, the lone African-American GOP candidate, is trying to win over a party that hasn't had a black nominee. Sidestepping race as an issue in his campaign may have helped him gain momentum in recent weeks, but whether he can turn vigor into votes will depend largely on voters' ability to look past his skin color and perceive him as a serious candidate.

"He appeals to people because he doesn't talk about race," said South Carolina Republican strategist Chip Felkel. "I think that too often, if anyone does go into that discussion, it's then used by other people to criticize them. I don't think that needs to be part of his narrative. He's a business person. He's an American."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/02/herman-cain-revs-up-mainstream-conservatives/

Herman Cain's top Iowa staff resigns

A few days after two senior aides in New England, the other shoe drops on Herman Cain in Iowa:

Herman Cain’s Iowa Director, Tina Goff, told TheIowaRepublican.com that she has submitted her resignation and is no longer working for the campaign. In addition to Goff’s resignation, TheIowaRepublican.com can confirm that Kevin Hall has also left the campaign. Hall served as Cain’s Straw Poll coordinator.

Goff and Hall both worked on Fred Thompson’s presidential campaign in 2008 and Iowa Governor Terry Branstad’s campaign in 2010. Goff stated that she resigned because the Cain campaign refused to make a serious effort in Iowa, the home of the First-in-the-Nation caucuses.

Cain spokeswoman Ellen Carmichael told POLITICO a few days ago that the New Hampshire staff would be replaced in short order. Cain has not yet released his quarterly fundraising numbers.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58242.html

pollyannaish

Hmmm. I always worry about too many resignations.

I like Cain and appreciate his business experience though. Something to watch.

Edited to add: So far, he is the only exciting candidate. Mostly because he reminds me of my favorite presidents in his ease with himself. He is comfortable with who he is, and doesn't seem to be overly thin skinned. He is not a control freak from the looks of it. I am much more at ease with him, than Bachmann for reasons I can't quite identify.

Always!

Edited to add: So far, he is the only exciting candidate. Mostly because he reminds me of my favorite presidents in his ease with himself. He is comfortable with who he is, and doesn't seem to be overly thin skinned. He is not a control freak from the looks of it.

One of the things that I like about Herman is, he's gonna say what he really believes, without regard to how it sounds.

You can't be a good sucessuful CEO/leader by being a control freak. Not only can't you know everything, you can't know most things. I am reminded of something George Will (?) said of Ronald Reagan....(I paraphrase) 'here's my policy..government is too big...taxes are too high...the Soviet Union is evil...you guys work out the details'.

I am much more at ease with him, than Bachmann for reasons I can't quite identify.

My problem with her is simple, I really don't think she can win.

Always!

Edited to add: So far, he is the only exciting candidate. Mostly because he reminds me of my favorite presidents in his ease with himself. He is comfortable with who he is, and doesn't seem to be overly thin skinned. He is not a control freak from the looks of it.

One of the things that I like about Herman is, he's gonna say what he really believes, without regard to how it sounds.

You can't be a good sucessuful CEO/leader by being a control freak. Not only can't you know everything, you can't know most things. I am reminded of something George Will (?) said of Ronald Reagan....(I paraphrase) 'here's my policy..government is too big...taxes are too high...the Soviet Union is evil...you guys work out the details'.

I am much more at ease with him, than Bachmann for reasons I can't quite identify.

Cain doesn't stand a chance either. Not trying to get racial, but is the country ready for two black presidents in a row? IMO Obama has set them back decades.

pollyannaish

Always!

Cain doesn't stand a chance either. Not trying to get racial, but is the country ready for two black presidents in a row? IMO Obama has set them back decades.

Call me weird, but I think it really doesn't matter now. Maybe it's just because I live in the NW and part of a different generation, but most people I know couldn't care less what color someone is. They judge Obama on his OWN merits and don't apply it broadly to his color. He's inept, but blacks as a group aren't inept.

I like Cain due to the exact points Valin stated. Right now, he tops my list because of his experience OUTSIDE of government. He communicates well, exudes common sense, connects with people easily due to charisma, and can speak coherently off the cuff and has a presidential timber. He seems to be of good character. Those are all big pluses on my list. That puts my second choice as Romney which surprises me a lot. His biggest drawback....very boring. But boring may be better for the countrya t this point.

Romney's original drawback was Romneycare...but I actually think that can be spun as an asset. He can use his FAILED experience with it, to prove that he can compromise, look for new ideas, and adjust when appropriate. That would definitely be an asset in the general. AND His last ads were brilliant which says he can put together a good team.

For now though, I'm keeping a very close eye on Cain.

Polly, I respect your opinion and am sure it is valid for a great deal of the voters.

If he was the candidate running against the 0, I would surely vote for him, even though I don't think he would be an effective president. I think right now he is a black Perrot, a plain speaking novelty.

Would you vote for the guy that owns PapaJohns?

pollyannaish

Polly, I respect your opinion and am sure it is valid for a great deal of the voters.

If he was the candidate running against the 0, I would surely vote for him, even though I don't think he would be an effective president. I think right now he is a black Perrot, a plain speaking novelty.

Good question. I don't know. I actually don't know much about him.

Interesting perspective on Cain being a Perot. That is absolutely possible.

I think the one thing we can agree on is that it is hard to get excited about politicians. ;)

Edited by pollyannaish
Clarity

"Anyone on the stage would be a better president than President Obama.”

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

pollyannaish

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

Amen. And I'm to the point where I'm thinking plenty of people NOT on that stage.

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

Amen. And I'm to the point where I'm thinking plenty of people NOT on that stage.

Who in particular Polly?

pollyannaish

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

Who in particular Polly?

I was meaning all of us hoi paloi in front of the stage along the lines of William F. Buckleys observation that "I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

Obama is so inept and idealistic, out of touch and I'm starting to think lazy...that I'd vote for Hillary over him. Those are words I never thought I'd hear myself say!

Edited to say: I still love Chris Christie.

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

Who in particular Polly?

I was meaning all of us hoi paloi in front of the stage along the lines of William F. Buckleys observation that "I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

Obama is so inept and idealistic, out of touch and I'm starting to think lazy...that I'd vote for Hillary over him. Those are words I never thought I'd hear myself say!

I was hoping for Hillary would have won.

I like Christie too, but we won't see him in a national race for some time. If he runs for re-election, the long knives are going to go after him hard. They already know they don't want him in the WH.

Always!

My sentiments exactly Casino-and that is sad. This is exactly why I want to first woman president to be extremely qualified. If Condi had run and won last time we would have killed two birds with one stone.

Mitt Romney Jun 14, 2011

Who in particular Polly?

Unfortunately most of the people that I like are governors that are too busy digging their states out of a whole to even think about president this time :( But as Cain also said in the last debate, anyone on this stage would be better than the current president.

• 2 weeks later...

A Businessman for President?

by John Stossel

Herman Cain has an impressive record in the business world. He was a successful vice president at Pillsbury and Burger King, then he turned around the failing Godfather's Pizza.

Is that the kind of person the country needs as president? Cain thinks so.

I spoke with Cain last week.

As a businessman, Cain saw firsthand the harm that government interventions like the minimum-wage inflict. People lose their jobs without even realizing why.

"If the government were to mandate an increase in minimum wage today ... it would simply drive the unemployment rate even higher."

How would he deal with the debt problem?

"We will not default because the amount of interest we pay is approximately $500 billion a year. That is about 20 times smaller than the amount of revenue we bring in. ... (P)ay the military people and their military families, make sure we pay the interest on debt, pay Medicare bills, and then make sure we pay the Medicaid bills. (E)verything else should be on the table. "

Cain says government is not only too big -- it's too complex. To change that, he said congressional bills should be no more than three pages. He's taken a ribbing on that from Jon Stewart

"(T)hree pages was a number to exaggerate a point. Make sure bills are short enough and understandable enough for the American people to understand."

On other matters, Cain can be ambiguous -- special tax treatment for corn-based ethanol, for example.

"(M)ake sure the farmers who are dependent upon ethanol subsidies have the proper alternative distribution for the product."

How can a defender of free markets say that?

"Once you help the farmers get their products to market all over the world, they won't need those subsidies and the free market principles will perform much better because then we should allow ethanol, methanol and all sources to compete in the marketplace."

He also supported TARP bank bailout.

"I looked at the financial meltdown. That was one of the worst situations that I have ever seen, and we need(ed) to do something drastic. But when the administration started to pick winners and losers, I did not agree with the implementation."

He opposed the bailouts of Chrysler and General Motors. snip

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44959

• 2 months later...

York: How Cain won Florida

Byron York

9/25/11

126309887.jpg

Adelaida Rosario (L), and Mercedes Sabina ®,react to the announcement of Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain winning Florida's straw poll at the Florida President 5 convention at the Orange County Convention Center on September 24, 2011 in Orlando, Florida. Herman Cain won Florida's straw poll with 37.11% of the vote. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

ORLANDO - It wasn't fully clear at the time, but the political ground was shifting under Rick Perry's feet from virtually the moment he arrived here in Orlando for the Republican presidential debate and Florida GOP straw poll. Just how much the ground shifted wasn't apparent until early Saturday evening, when Florida Gov. Rick Scott announced the poll's results: Perry, and fellow leader Mitt Romney, and the rest of the Republican field finished far behind longshot winner Herman Cain.

It was a huge victory for Cain in a key state. After all, Gov. Scott said repeatedly that the straw poll would choose the next president. "I believe whoever wins this straw poll on Saturday will be the Republican nominee and I believe the Republican nominee will be the next president," Scott told Fox News earlier in the week. And Perry himself said just hours before the poll that, "I've got all my hopes on Florida." (Of course, shortly after uttering those words, Perry got on a plane for Michigan, passing up an opportunity to address straw poll voters in person before the balloting, which probably didn't help his chances.)

(Snip)

One other factor should not be underestimated. Yes, the delegates liked what Cain had to say. But how he said it was just as important. With his deep, booming voice and a style that any motivational speaker would envy, Cain can give a rousing speech, and he gave several of them during four days in Orlando. No other candidate, frontrunner or back of the pack, could match him. It's not an exaggeration to say that his power as an orator sealed the deal for hundreds of delegates. They believed Cain was speaking to them from the heart, and they were carried away by it. As with the Democratic primary contests of 2007 and 2008, never underestimate the power of a stirring speech.

(Snip)

The story is not the same with the larger political establishment. Already some Republicans are interpreting Cain's victory as a statement of voter unhappiness with the GOP field and are calling for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie to enter the race. Others see Saturday's vote as the ultimate illustration of the problem with straw polls, which attract an activist base that does not resemble the general election electorate. After Michele Bachmann's victory at the Ames, Iowa straw poll and Cain's win in Florida, some will say it's time to do away with such contests.

(Snip)