Losing Egypt?

Geee

losing-egypt
Front Page Magazine:

“An earthquake has shaken the region.”

The above headline from an Israeli newspaper describes with unfailing accuracy the pivotal events now taking place in the Middle East. In Egypt, the Arab world’s largest and most populous country of more than 80 million, massive demonstrations involving tens of thousands of people began on Tuesday in what was billed as a “Day of Anger” and are continuing despite a ban by a very rattled government. Smaller protests are likewise occurring in Jordan, Libya, Morocco and Algeria. The domino effect so feared by Middle Eastern strongmen after Tunisian protesters chased their president from power earlier this month after a 24-year rule may soon become reality in Egypt.

Inspired by events in Tunisia, demonstrators took to the streets in Cairo on Tuesday to protest against President Hosni Mubarak’s corrupt, authoritarian regime, demanding political freedoms and higher wages. During those demonstrations, which saw water cannon and tear gas employed, three people died in encounters with security forces. A policeman was also killed.

“With us, there has been a cautious reawakening of belief in our own strength,” an Egyptian journalist told the German newspaper, Die Welt.

According to the Egyptian newspaper, The Daily News, the demonstrations were organized by the National Association for Change, which contains various opposition groups, and the Popular Parliament. January 25 was chosen as the day to launch mass movement because it coincided with a national holiday that commemorates another famous protest in Egyptian history. On this date in 1952, Egyptian police rose up against the British occupation.snip

Losing Egypt?

And waiting to take over:The Muslim Brotherhood. If they take over, they can close off the Suez Canal.

Losing Egypt?

And waiting to take over:The Muslim Brotherhood. If they take over, they can close off the Suez Canal.

A couple of points...

1 Losing Egypt. Wouldn't that presuppose that it's our to lose?

2 I have no doubt they want to take over, I question (A) can they, the answer is probably yes they can...but (B)can they maintain power?

Losing Egypt?

A couple of points...

2 I have no doubt they want to take over, I question (A) can they, the answer is probably yes they can...but (B)can they maintain power?

There is alot to lose. First and formost a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt. If Egypt falls to jihadists, the first thing they will will do is tear up that treaty. That treaty has kept the peace in the area. The Egyptian police have been "helpful" in stopping Hamas. That will end if Egypt falls. The only way Mubarak can stay in power is the armed forces. If the armed forces turns on Mubarak either he is a dead man or will be sent into exile. Sadat was assasinated by his own army troops because they hated the treaty. Mubarak was sitting behind Sadat when he was murdered. So Mubarak knows the stakes.

Losing Egypt?

A couple of points...

There is alot to lose. First and formost a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt. If Egypt falls to jihadists, the first thing they will will do is tear up that treaty. That treaty has kept the peace in the area. The Egyptian police have been "helpful" in stopping Hamas. That will end if Egypt falls. The only way Mubarak can stay in power is the armed forces. If the armed forces turns on Mubarak either he is a dead man or will be sent into exile. Sadat was assasinated by his own army troops because they hated the treaty. Mubarak was sitting behind Sadat when he was murdered. So Mubarak knows the stakes.

No real disagreements. But a couple of comments

1. Regardless how this turns out. This is a major development, large numbers of people standing up without fear and saying to the dictator...Enough! After 30 years time for you to go! Even if Mubarak stays in power (and remember he's getting long in the tooth), people will remember.

2. The Mubarak rule is part of the problem, yes true he brought stability. But at what price, where has the progress been? Remember the Warsaw nations were stable also. Stability is not and should not be be all and end all of Americas foreign policy.

IMO supporting this revolution is worth the gamble. And I admit it's a big gamble, but as Walid Phares says in his new book "The revolution is coming"

Bolton on Fox saying that the Muslim Brotherhood. That is not good news and I hope that Iran has nothing to do with this. This makes the WH statement a little curious. I also think that Biden's statement and the WH statement are a little different in tone.(what else is new)

Bolton on Fox saying that the Muslim Brotherhood. That is not good news and I hope that Iran has nothing to do with this. This makes the WH statement a little curious. I also think that Biden's statement and the WH statement are a little different in tone.(what else is new)

Fox

snip

Friday's demonstrations were energized by the return of ElBaradei on Thursday night, when he said he was ready to lead the opposition toward a regime change.

They also got a boost from the endorsement of the country's biggest opposition group, the Islamic fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood. The group called its supporters to join the protests on Friday.

The Brotherhood, outlawed since 1954, is Egypt's largest and best organized opposition group. It seeks to establish an Islamic state. It renounced violence in the 1970s and has since been a peaceful movement. Its network of social and medical services has traditionally won it popular support, but its detractors say its involvement in politics has chipped away at its support base.

snip

Hillary Rodham Clinton just now on Fox

"We urge Egyptian authority to allow peaceful protests.

SNIP

These protests underscore that there are deep grievances in Egyptian society and the Egyptian government needs to understand that violence will not make these grievances go away."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

We urge Obama's government to allow peaceful protests.

These [Tea Party] protests underscore that there are deep grievances in American society and Obama's government needs to understand that a continual course to the Left will not make these grievances go away.

Hillary Rodham Clinton just now on Fox

"We urge Egyptian authority to allow peaceful protests.

SNIP

These protests underscore that there are deep grievances in Egyptian society and the Egyptian government needs to understand that violence will not make these grievances go away."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

We urge Obama's government to allow peaceful protests.

These [Tea Party] protests underscore that there are deep grievances in American society and Obama's government needs to understand that a continual course to the Left will not make these grievances go away.

Got to get some Muslims to participate in those Tea Party eventsshoutPepper. Then they will be AOK.

I'm really bad this morning! I got a chuckle at the bank robber slipping on the ice, even though he perished and now I kind of got a cheap thrill out of El Baridai(sp) having to be rescued by the Egyptian military from the rioters. :o

Didn't Obama just ask for us to fast track this type of internet "switch" for him to have bedside?

You are correct sir!!!

Geee!

Should be easy.

We keep getting told that there is this great silent majority of good guys out there.

snip

Got to get some Muslims to participate in those Tea Party eventsshoutPepper. Then they will be AOK.

President-in-Waiting Robert Gibbs on a presser on Egypt.

Gibbs is sporting some type of bruise below his left nostril. HD TV is brutally honest. He must have stuck a pencil there.

Gibbs has said repeated we are monitoring a very fluid situation.

Press korps is asking why Obama has not checked in or why he has not spoken with Mubarak.

The press thinks Obama actually does anything? I saw a news report that some of his cabinet members have NEVER had a meeting with him directly.

Gibbs to an answer about VodaPhone:

"We have been very clear.... we believe in the Basket of Individual Freedoms includes, uhh includes uhh, the freedom to access to the Internet and uhh, the freedom to use social networking sites."

??

A Basket of Individual Freedoms??

This is bizarre listening to Gibbs and grievances of Egyptians.

Will Obama ever listen to the grievances of Conservatives and clean up his own act?

Losing Egypt?

A couple of points...

No real disagreements. But a couple of comments

1. Regardless how this turns out. This is a major development, large numbers of people standing up without fear and saying to the dictator...Enough! After 30 years time for you to go! Even if Mubarak stays in power (and remember he's getting long in the tooth), people will remember.

2. The Mubarak rule is part of the problem, yes true he brought stability. But at what price, where has the progress been? Remember the Warsaw nations were stable also. Stability is not and should not be be all and end all of Americas foreign policy.

IMO supporting this revolution is worth the gamble. And I admit it's a big gamble, but as Walid Phares says in his new book "The revolution is coming"

As I pointed out in another thread, Mubarak is only a figurehead. The military is in charge of the Egyptian government and will not cede their power. Trust me, if the riots continue, there will be tanks in the streets and the put down will be as brutal as any seen.

Crude oil up 4%.

Suez Canal threatened.

Up 22% for the year.

The only thing faster than a speeding bullet is how a gas station changes its gas prices.