Losing Egypt?

Geee

If these protests/demonstrations don't inspire you, I don't know what would.

Valin!

No they don't. So I guess that you wouldn't know what would.

Not surprising.

People demonstrating/fighting for their freedom doesn't inspire you? Sad.

No Valin!

That is your opinion. And I don't appreciate your "sad" comment.

I see more in play than just "people fighting for freedom". I know that you think that you're the only one with any worthwhile opinions on the Middle East and Islam... but I don't agree.

I do? News to me.

Not surprising.

Site where I have ever said this. Feel free to go back as far as you want, and the whatever site you care to. You won't find me saying anything like that.

Do I have strongly held views? DUH!

Site where I have ever said this. Feel free to go back as far as you want, and the whatever site you care to. You won't find me saying anything like that.

Do I have strongly held views? DUH!

Valin! I'm not going to waste my time going back to search out some obscure quote from you... just to prove a point.

No, you never said "that". It's not what you say. It's how you sometime say it... Like "Sad" or the above "DUH!"

I'm through with this silly exchange.

Unreasonable Faith: Reasons to be Optimistic about Egypt

2/4/11

At the beginning of the year, there was a story about Coptic Christians in Egypt suffering from attacks by Muslim radicals. In response, large numbers of their Muslim neighbors joined them at church to offer a human shield for their protection.

(Snip)

Now it appears that in the midst of the uprising, some Christians are returning the favor. Via Reddit, here’s a photograph of Egyptian Christians forming a human chain to protect a praying group of Muslims:

Link

NhC4m-590x442.jpg

Another story comes from the Egyptian Museum, which houses an enormous number of artifacts from ancient Egypt. The museum suffered from looting, vandalism or both during the early part of the protests. Then, according to the Christian Science Monitor, Egyptian citizens once again formed a human shield around the museum until the military could arrive

(Snip)

That's a great story Valin. Thanks for posting it.

My grandmother spent a great deal of time in the ME as an archeologist. I have to admit that due to her stories and students that she sponsored to come to the US for education...I've ended up with quite a soft spot for Egyptians and Jordanians. I really hope this works out well for them.

My grandmother spent a great deal of time in the ME as an archeologist. I have to admit that due to her stories and students that she sponsored to come to the US for education...I've ended up with quite a soft spot for Egyptians and Jordanians. I really hope this works out well for them.

It will work out. It will take some time, and there will be some bad times to go through, but it will work out.

" I really hope this works out well for them."

I do too, but it is unrealistic. There are millions of innocents whose freedoms hang in the balance at any given moment.

Other than the Good Lord, no one knows what forces are at play in Egypt.

Worldwide there are seemingly unconnected groups of thugs and terrorists with a common goal: depriving others of the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as well as anything associated with the West. We and nations of the willing, must either contain those goups or destroy them.

Just like house being slowly eaten by termites, members of these groups are at work in the US. And now we are fostering the growth of such groups in other nations with Obama dithering and blathering.

Egypt is only ablaze in Cairo.

No one has answered the question: why did Obama dither when Neda was killed in Iran and the government jailed and executed hundreds if not more. Why did he not support what was a true nation wide revolution?

It will work out. It will take some time, and there will be some bad times to go through, but it will work out.

NCTexan!

If you had a doubt as to where Fox News and Shep Smith AKA Baghdad Shep is on this, he is on the streets fighting for freedom.

From the mouth of Shepherd Smith on the loss of internet access and loss of news in Egypt and how WE might be hurt.

3:30 pm Friday February 4 From my TV just now. Excuse the typing:

"I have one thing though that I've been very curious about and quite frankly a little worried about...

our correspondents and technicians and all the rest from over there and my friends from other networks and newspapers are telling me that what happens is these people go home at night especially the middle class to the poor there.

there are a lot of poor people - about half of them live under the poverty level less than four dollars a day

they go home and all they get is Egyptian state television.

On the Fox report last night we were telling you what they were reporting there.

They were reporting that the Westerners have organized all of this

that these are traitors to the United States - that there were no people injured in Tahrir Square - there were no Egyptian on Egyptian violence - that none of it really happened - that Westerners have stirred this stuff up - that Hosni Mubarek has the best of the people at hand

In other words they are getting nothing but propaganda of the Baghdad Bob sort of version

And then the protesters - whose numbers have dwindled in recent days at least until today -

come home and they're having these arguments in their neighborhood about

why are you ruining our country we are watching the television we don't have access to the Internet or anything else

So I wonder if we are losing the battle for hearts and minds during this process

and that might hurt us

in a few weeks or months from now and we may not even realize what is going on."

shoutPepper!

Katrina Shep has "morphed" into Baghdad Shep. I can't watch the FNC's liberal news hour's [he's on twice here] without retching anymore.

shoutSrWoodchuck

Katrina Shep. That's a good one. The Shepster has his fawning staff and friend Jonathan. And how obsequious they all are

"As you said earlier, Shep" "Yes, Shep, that is exactly what is happening"

VOA: Mixed Reports On Cause Of Blast At Egyptian Gas Terminal

FFC3C6D4-466C-471D-975C-46E8A213DCA2_w527_s.jpg

An image grab taken from Egyptian state television shows what the channel said is a flame rising from the site of an attack on a gas pipeline. (AFP Photo/Al-Masriya TV)

An explosion has rocked a gas terminal in Egypt's northern Sinai Peninsula, forcing operators to shut off the flow of gas to neighboring Jordan and Egypt.

There are conflicting reports of what caused the blast.

Regional governor Abdel Wahab Mabrouk told Egyptian media he suspected "sabotage" but did not explain further.

The head of Egypt's natural gas company says the fire was caused by a gas leak.

(Snip)

Regional governor Abdel Wahab Mabrouk told Egyptian media he suspected "sabotage" but did not explain further.

The head of Egypt's natural gas company says the fire was caused by a gas leak.

And both could be correct...

Is it me, or has Her Heinousness aged about 30 years(and gained about 30 pounds) in the last two weeks? She makes Nancy Reagan look chipper. I've never been a big fan, but she looks older than Pat Nixon. :blink:

Egypt ruling party leaders resign; regime holds

2/5/11

CAIRO (AP) — The leadership of Egypt's ruling party stepped down Saturday as the military figures spearheading the transition tried to placate protesters without giving them the one resignation they demand, President Hosni Mubarak's. The United States gave key backing to the regime's gradual changes, warning of the dangers if Mubarak goes too quickly.

But protesters in the streets rejected the new concessions and vowed to keep up their campaign until the 82-year-old president steps down. Many are convinced that the regime wants wear down their movement and enact only superficial democratic reforms that will leave its deeply entrenched monopoly on power in place.

Tens of thousands thronged Cairo's central Tahrir Square in a 12th day of protests, waving flags and chanting, "He will go! He will go!"

(Snip)

Report: Assassination Attempt Made on Omar Suleiman, Egyptian Vice President

2/5/11

Fox News is reporting that an assassination attempt has been made on newly named Egyptian vice president Omar Suleiman. Two of the longtime intelligence chief’s bodyguards, Fox says, were killed in the attack. Egyptian security officials, reports Al Arabiya, are denying the reports.

(Snip)