Candidate - Herman Cain

Geee

Paul Ryan summed up my thoughts pretty well, except I wouldn't have been so politically correct in my speech. But then, that's why I'm not in politics. :)

I'm not a fan of 9-9-9, but at least it's a PLAN for God's sake. The current admin has not even put out a budget in over 1000 days in office. I can just see Herman's concession speech... "Well, I just shouldn't have had a plan. If only I went in there with some ambiguous "we're gonna lower taxes and cut spending" nonsense, I might have been elected."

That said, I'm not a fan of 9-9-9. You do NOT give the government a new way to tax people no matter how well intended. We've become a country of precedent, not law. I can already hear the 2024 election where the Democrats say "Well, it was the Republicans that introduced the federal sales tax" as it crests above 15%.

Whatever upheaval in the tax system occurs, at the end of the day it needs to get rid of the IRS.

Whatever upheaval in the tax system occurs, at the end of the day it needs to get rid of the IRS.

Oh man! Now we are going to have to provide account info when the IRS comes looking for you for that special audit.

Meh. It ain't gonna happen. I'm just venting. Can't a guy dream?

As Herman Cain said in an inexplicable interview with Piers Morgan that nobody watched, paraphrased "you can't throw the baby out with the bath water, we need to fix the government" referring to Ron Paul's plans to flat out eliminate sections of our government. In other words, we don't want to reduce government, we want to "fix" it.

I'm not a Ron Paul-ite, but I believe in reducing the government. Who has the stones to actually do it?

I'm surprised. I didn't think Cain did all that well in that debate. The "apples and oranges" defense. Huh?

Newt in 3rd! Go, go go!

Ron Paul in 4th, and he's basically sea level. That means the rest of you guys are holding your breath and don't have much time to make a bold move.

And I thought Perry was terrible, but wow,... 3%. It does go to show you can ascend and descend overnight, so it's still anyone's game.

York - Rove vs. Cain: The people's choice?

Herman Cain is tired of pundits telling him his 15 minutes are up. In particular, the Georgia businessman-turned-presidential candidate is becoming impatient with Karl Rove, the former top George W. Bush aide who in a Monday appearance on Fox News actually pulled out a whiteboard to list a series of gaffes that, according to Rove, suggest Cain isn't up to the job of president.

"It's a good thing the voters are not looking at Karl Rove's little whiteboard," Cain said in a phone conversation from a stop in Chicago Monday. "I believe it is a deliberate attempt to damage me because I am not, quote unquote, the establishment choice. But why not go with the choice that the people seem to like?"

There's no doubt Cain has stepped on his own message a number of times recently. He has said things that made him sound like he was pro-choice when he wanted to say he was pro-life. He has made conflicting statements on his 9-9-9 tax reform proposal. He messed up the answer to a question about whether he would trade hostages for terrorists, as the government of Israel did recently. He appeared not to be familiar with the term "neoconservative" during a recent TV appearance, and some months ago was not familiar with the concept of a Palestinian "right of return."

Put it all together, and it's a lot of mistakes. "Everybody gets a mulligan," Rove said on Fox Monday. "Everybody in fact gets a couple of mulligans. But if you look at Herman Cain's record here, and while it shows a lot of passion, a lot of energy...the cumulative effect of all of these misstatements and errors is to create a sense that he's not up to it."

Cain says some of his remarks have been taken out of context but freely admits that others were just plain mistakes. Indeed, the ability to concede mistakes seems to be something voters like in Cain. But Cain is becoming increasingly unhappy with mainstream Republican voices, like Rove, who are focusing on the gaffes.

"What has Karl Rove done?" Cain asks. "If I become the nominee, he has given Democrats talking points for a commercial to attack me. It makes no sense unless it's a deliberate attempt on his part to try to push me down so that the candidate he wants rises to the top."snip

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/york-rove-vs-cain-peoples-choice

Barone: Revolt against experts helps Herman Cain

At the moment national polls show Herman Cain leading or tied for the lead in the race for the Republican presidential nomination. This despite the fact that he has never won an election, has never held public office (except on a regional Federal Reserve advisory panel), and has shown prodigious ignorance on some important foreign policy and domestic issues.

We in the punditocracy have been attributing Cain's lead to many conservatives' resistance to frequent front-runner Mitt Romney. Many have described Cain as the flavor of the month and have predicted his numbers will collapse, as Michele Bachmann's and Rick Perry's have.

Reasonable analysis, as far as it goes. But I think Cain's current lead is evidence of a larger and longer-range trend that is both heartening and disturbing.

I call it the revolt against the experts.

It has been going on for a long time. In the years after World War II, when pollsters first started testing confidence in leaders and institutions, midcentury Americans expressed great confidence and respect for experts and those at the head of large organizations.

This was an unsurprising result, since the leaders of big government, big business and big labor had produced a glorious victory in World War II and then seemed to produce postwar prosperity when almost everyone expected a return to depression.

Confidence in leaders and respect for expertise fell in the years that gave us the Vietnam War, Watergate and stagflation. They're at a low point now, after years in which experts seemed to fail in Iraq and at home.snip

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/barone-revolt-against-experts-helps-herman-cain

Listening to Cain interview on Hannity Radio -

"I'm not married to this plan (9-9-9.) I'd consider others, as long as they get the job done."

Instead of 9-9-9, it would have been just simpler for him to say he would seek alternatives to the current federal income tax as in begin with abolishing it first. I know he was a good radio talk show guy, but he should now talk less and listen more.

To me, all this sudden jumping on the bandwagon to change the tax laws is a diversion.

Finding new and better ways to extort money from the masses is not the problem. The problem is SPENDING.

STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING...that's the only thing I want fixed....for now.

/rant off

Listening to Cain interview on Hannity Radio -

"I'm not married to this plan (9-9-9.) I'd consider others, as long as they get the job done."

Instead of 9-9-9, it would have been just simpler for him to say he would seek alternatives to the current federal income tax as in begin with abolishing it first. I know he was a good radio talk show guy, but he should now talk less and listen more.

To me, all this sudden jumping on the bandwagon to change the tax laws is a diversion.

Finding new and better ways to extort money from the masses is not the problem. The problem is SPENDING.

STOP SPENDING, STOP SPENDING...that's the only thing I want fixed....for now.

/rant off

shoutPepper Agree the current tax code is an abomination...and no one knows whats in the damn thing. Now the practical question is how do we get rid of it, and get a tax code that we can understand? It's going to take some very hard work on our part to send politicians to Washington who really believe.

shoutEvad IMO Cutting spending & cutting taxes are two sides of the same coin. Once again it requires people like us to find good * electable politicians to send to Washington.

* Bolded because it it's easy to find true believers...it's quite another thing to find people who can actually get elected. You can have the best plan since sliced bread, but if you can't get elected....?

Now I LOVE Herman he has my heart (and and several other organs :lol:) and has for quite some time, but the question we need to be asking (and I believe most republicans are asking) is...can he win the nomination, and more importantly can he win the general election? Because if a candidate can't do both...I got no time for you.

valin! Evad IMO Cutting spending & cutting taxes are two sides of the same coin. Once again it requires people like us to find good * electable politicians to send to Washington.

I would agree but these plans as I see them are not designed to CUT taxes, they are designed to spread spending over a broader base. Remember Herman's statement "you can't stop an out of control train", or something like that. He said it when he introduced his 9-9-9 plan. Now, certain people or certain segments may get a tax cut but the overall plan is revenue neutral.

You can stop an out of control train. Divert it to a new set of tracks and send it over a cliff if necessary.

SPENDING is the only problem.

valin! Evad IMO Cutting spending & cutting taxes are two sides of the same coin. Once again it requires people like us to find good * electable politicians to send to Washington.

I would agree but these plans as I see them are not designed to CUT taxes, they are designed to spread spending over a broader base. Remember Herman's statement "you can't stop an out of control train", or something like that. He said it when he introduced his 9-9-9 plan. Now, certain people or certain segments may get a tax cut but the overall plan is revenue neutral.

You can stop an out of control train. Divert it to a new set of tracks and send it over a cliff if necessary.

SPENDING is the only problem.

If you go to the Newt Gingrich Thread he addresses this in a Az. town hall meeting.

Cain to Debate Newt: What Is Herman Thinking?

Why would the frontrunner give a chance to middle-of-the-pack Gingrich, a great debater?

Ryan Mauro

10/29/11

Polls show Herman Cain as the frontrunner, and things are going his way. Now, he has agreed to a “modified Lincoln-Douglas”-style debate with Newt Gingrich, where Cain has little to gain and a lot to lose.

On November 5, Gingrich and Cain will go mano-a-mano in a debate about entitlement reform, with no moderator and only a timekeeper from the Texas Tea Party Patriots. “It will be divided into parts, one for each major entitlement — Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid — with each candidate detailing their arguments,” says Bill O’Sullivan, the treasurer of the group. Obviously, the candidates will find ways to bring up other issues if they believe it to be advantageous.

(Snip)

I would point out spending time as a talk radio host does improve a persons debating skills.

No matter...This should be good. Two really smart guys going head to head...gotta like that.

Also see Dem Wit: GOP Likes Cain Because ‘He’s a Black Man Who Knows His Place’

WestVirginiaRebel

Cain responds to sex harassment allegation

Herman Cain's campaign headquarters has released a response to a story, broken this evening on Politico, that in the 1990s two female employees of the National Restaurant Association "complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain," who at the time was head of the trade group.

Calling the story "thinly source allegations," Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon said: "Since Washington establishment critics haven't had much luck in attacking Mr. Cain's ideas to fix a bad economy and create jobs, they are trying to attack him in any way they can." Gordon did not address any of the specific allegations in the report. Asked for a more specific answer, the campaign did not provide details.

Here is Gordon's complete response:

Inside the Beltway media attacks Cain

Fearing the message of Herman Cain who is shaking up the political landscape in Washington, Inside the Beltway media have begun to launch unsubstantiated personal attacks on Cain.

Dredging up thinly sourced allegations stemming from Mr. Cain’s tenure as the Chief Executive Officer at the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, political trade press are now casting aspersions on his character and spreading rumors that never stood up to the facts.

Since Washington establishment critics haven't had much luck in attacking Mr. Cain's ideas to fix a bad economy and create jobs, they are trying to attack him in any way they can.

Sadly, we’ve seen this movie played out before – a prominent Conservative targeted by liberals simply because they disagree with his politics.

Mr. Cain -- and all Americans, deserve better.

Cain is likely to face questions about the matter on Monday. He is scheduled to appear at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington in the morning to discuss his 9-9-9 tax plan, and then speak -- and take questions -- at the National Press Club at lunch.

From CBS News

As allegations of sexual harassment from the 1990's continue to loom over Herman Cain's campaign this week, the GOP frontrunner is also raising eyebrows with his foreign policy remarks.

In an interview Monday, Cain said part of China's threat to the United States stems from its attempts to develop nuclear weapons -- even though China tested its first nuclear weaponin 1964.

"Yes, they're a military threat," Cain said on the PBS NewsHour, in response to a question from Judy Woodruff. "They've indicated that they're trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat."

He is going to be picked apart. I don't know how many times he will get to say "I meant this, or I used the wrong words". Clearly Obama would have never survived a media process the Republicans face.

From CBS News

As allegations of sexual harassment from the 1990's continue to loom over Herman Cain's campaign this week, the GOP frontrunner is also raising eyebrows with his foreign policy remarks.

In an interview Monday, Cain said part of China's threat to the United States stems from its attempts to develop nuclear weapons -- even though China tested its first nuclear weaponin 1964.

"Yes, they're a military threat," Cain said on the PBS NewsHour, in response to a question from Judy Woodruff. "They've indicated that they're trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat."

He is going to be picked apart. I don't know how many times he will get to say "I meant this, or I used the wrong words". Clearly Obama would have never survived a media process the Republicans face.

The good thing about Herman is he is not a politician...the bad thing about Herman is he is not a politician.

Washington Post: Cain rises in Post-ABC poll despite scandal; most Republicans dismiss allegations

Jon Cohen

November 4

Businessman Herman Cain and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney are running nearly even atop the field of 2012 GOP presidential hopefuls, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows, with most Republicans dismissing the harassment allegations that over the past week have roiled Cain’s campaign.

Seven in 10 Republicans say reports that Cain made unwanted advances toward two employees when he was head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s — allegations which have been stiffly rebutted by Cain’s campaign — do not matter when it comes to picking a candidate.

(Snip)

Nearly a quarter of all Republicans and GOP-leaning independents now back Cain as the party’s nominee, his best showing in Post-ABC polls this year, and up significantly from early October. At 23 percent nationally, Cain is neck-and-neck with Romney (24 percent) atop the GOP field.

(Snip)