Coffee Shop

Rheo

Rare warplane that survived Pearl Harbor attack returning to US

12/7/13

pearlharborplaneap.jpg

This photo provided by the Collings Foundation, shows a Buffalo, N.Y.-built American fighter thats one of the few remaining still-airworthy planes to survive the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. (AP)

ALBANY, NY A New York-built American fighter that's one of the few remaining still-airworthy planes to survive the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor is being donated to a Massachusetts-based organization that flies World War II aircraft at living history events across the nation.

Robert Collings, executive director of the Stow, Massachusetts-based Collings Foundation, said that the purchase of the Curtiss P-40B Warhawk from an aviation museum in England was completed this week. The plane will be disassembled and shipped to the United States, where it eventually will fly over Buffalo and other cities, with plans to participate in the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack in 2016, he said.

"The history that comes with it is pretty special," Collings said Friday, the day before the 72nd anniversary of the surprise attack in Hawaii that launched the U.S. into the Second World War. "It was obvious that we needed to get this airplane back to America."

(Snip)

If anyone thinks all "cyber tech" companies are cut from the same cloth....

Take a look at how the two top search engines recognized Pearl Harbor Day today.

bing_zps3b608ba3.jpg

goog_zpsac9e4fde.jpg

Interesting considering what other events Google chooses to celebrate with their special page designs.

• Like 2

If anyone thinks all "cyber tech" companies are cut from the same cloth....

Take a look at how the two top search engines recognized Pearl Harbor Day today.

bing_zps3b608ba3.jpg

goog_zpsac9e4fde.jpg

Interesting considering what other events Google chooses to celebrate with their special page designs.

I hadn't noticed. Thanks for pointing this out.

I know I've started using Bing a lot more.

The Week in Pictures, Media Overdrive Edition

Steven Hayward

12/7/13

Hey, I hear Nelson Mandela died this week. But I havent heard very much about him in the media, especially the big three networks. I know I want more coverage. More interviews with Bill Clintonyeah, thats the ticket. More comparisons between Mandela and Obama, because Mandelas 27-year prison sentence was just like Obamas miserable childhood at the Punahou school in Honolulu. Meanwhile, oh yeah, Obamacare continues to collapse. Good time to change the subject.

580x391xObama-Mandela-copy-600x405.jpg.p

(Snip)

502x374xAmazon-Drones2-copy.jpg.pagespee

(Snip)

580x223xKarnak-Obama-copy-600x231.jpg.pa

(Snip)

472x363xContraception-copy.jpg.pagespeed

462x349xImmigration-Change-copy.jpg.page

(Snip)

462x460xAlligator-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

346x447xNaked-Driver-copy.jpg.pagespeed.

(Snip)

580x598xRedskins-sign-copy-581x600.jpg.p

(Snip)

335x600xFretboard-copy-335x600.jpg.pages

And Finally...something for the sexist gun toters

479x600xHot-76-copy-479x600.jpg.pagespee

• Like 2

Minneapolis man must pay $115 for spitting

Boua Xiong

Dec 6, 2013

MINNEAPOLIS -- Most of the sidewalks near Dinkytown are now covered in snow. But that doesn't erase the bad taste left in Myles Thomas' mouth.

"I was walking to get some pizza with some buddies," Thomas said.

The 21-year-old said he was getting over an illness and he spit as he was walking. He quickly learned that's illegal in Minneapolis.

Police officers driving by in Dinkytown cited him for spitting, which carries a hefty fine. According to the city ordinance if you spit on sidewalks, bus or public areas it's a $115 misdemeanor.

(Snip)

H/T JAMES LILEKS

Glad to see the MPD is On The Job protecting us from criminals like Myles 'loogie' Thomas.

• Like 3

'Smartbra’ To Combat Stress-Related Overeating Is A Bust

(CNSNews.com) – There are smartphones and smart appliances, but Microsoft has discovered that smart technology goes only so far. The tech giant has decided not to pursue the idea of a “smartbra” with embedded sensors dreamed up by a team of researchers to combat stress-related overeating.

The ultimate goal of the team led by Mary Czerwinski, a research manager in Microsoft’s Visualization and Interaction Research Group, was not to make a bra, a Microsoft spokesman told CNSNews.com, but to figure out ways to use behavior modification to prevent emotional overeating.

The team came up with two mobile phone apps for “tracking emotions, food, and receiving interventions.” They also designed “a novel, wearable sensor system for detecting emotions…This system consisted of physiological sensors which were placed into women’s brassieres.” The sensors measured heart and respiration rates and streamed the information to a smartphone.Scissors-32x32.png

http://'Smartbra’ To Combat Stress-Related Overeating Is A Bust

World War II veteran en route to Pearl Harbor ceremony booted from flight

December 08, 2013

A 90-year-old World War II veteran en route to a ceremony marking the 72nd anniversary of the attack at Pearl Harbor was booted from his flight to accommodate the weight of additional jet fuel needed for the trip.

According to Hawaii News Now, Ewalt Walt Shatz, a WWII veteran credited with shooting down a Japanese plane during the 1941 attack, was scheduled to take a United Airlines flight direct from Los Angeles to Honolulu on Wednesday, but was re-booked on an American Airlines flight leaving eight hours later that included a layover in Maui.

(Snip)

Word of his Shatzs plight traveled quickly on the Internet, and 71 people mostly U.S. service members organized a last-second welcoming party for him at the airport in Honolulu.

"Getting ready to put my khakis on and go greet a WWII vet (Pearl Harbor Survivor)... If you are on island and would like to come greet and honor this hero, come on out," Navy Chief Benjiman Scott wrote in part on his Facebook page, according to the paper.

"Everybody wanted a picture with me and they were making out like I was hero, but I'm not really. It was embarrassing in a way, but I liked it. It was nice," Shatz told WOAI News 4.

Reportedly added Chief Navy Counselor Rex Parmelee: This is why we're serving. We're here to tell their story. We're here to show our respect for them. It's a tremendous honor and that's why we take it so serious. Heritage is huge."

(Snip)

Story.jpg

• Like 3

I want to add an extra picture from the article @Valin posted above. It is even more impressive. Look how many service members came out to support this veteran! This was at 10:00 at night--and actually much later by the time he got off the plane.

24143676_BG3.jpg

• Like 3

I want to add an extra picture from the article @Valin posted above. It is even more impressive. Look how many service members came out to support this veteran! This was at 10:00 at night--and actually much later by the time he got off the plane.

24143676_BG3.jpg

Smooth Move United Airlines...Real Smooth!

• Like 1