Coffee Shop

Rheo

Just saw Oliver North on Gretta FoxNews tonight... discussing the threats of Islamic terror.

He shared that several years ago he had been on the Islamic targets list....when the FBI notified him of a threat to himself and family at their home in Northern Virginia.

He said that they immediately picked up and bunkered down at Camp Lejeune NC for several months.

I had never heard of this event and action by Ollie and his family.

I knew of the threats to his family but never knew they went to Camp Lejeune. I heard in an interview quite a few years back that he has extra ordinary security put around the perimeter of his home.

@snowfall,

You are now a full member and can add new topics. If you thinking about sticking around you should upload an avatar by clicking on your name in the upper right and going to profile.

Welcome.

@snowfall If you use the megaphone in the left top by the reply box or just a @ before someones name, you will be giving who ever you are replying to a 'shout'. You can also quote someone's post by using the 'quote' tab in the lower right hand corner of the reply box. Also, if you just use the first 3 or 4 letters of someones name after the @, you don't have to fill out the whole thingwink.png

While other cities are struggling with gang violence, mayoral relations with the police department, terrorist attacks, earthquakes, or crumbling infrastructure... here in Raleigh we have a more pressing and complex issue to solve!

Who doed the doo doo?

WRAL

At least I'm glad this only involves facial cheek swabbing!

• Like 1

@snowfall If you use the megaphone in the left top by the reply box or just a @ before someones name, you will be giving who ever you are replying to a 'shout'. You can also quote someone's post by using the 'quote' tab in the lower right hand corner of the reply box. Also, if you just use the first 3 or 4 letters of someones name after the @, you don't have to fill out the whole thingwink.png

@Geee like this?

• Like 2

@Geee like this?

Exactly. Except if you quote someone they will get notice so shouting at them just to let them know is redundant and not normally needed.

While other cities are struggling with gang violence, mayoral relations with the police department, terrorist attacks, earthquakes, or crumbling infrastructure... here in Raleigh we have a more pressing and complex issue to solve!

Who doed the doo doo?

WRAL

@NCTexan

Perchance....properly prevented per putting poor pooches poop in a pouch?

• Like 1

Who doed the doo doo?

WRAL

@NCTexan

Perchance....properly prevented per putting poor pooches poop in a pouch?

If I click this, will my head hurt? I ask because its to early for my head to hurt.

Thoughts from the ammo line

Scott Johnson

January 9, 2015

Ammo Grrrll returns this week THINKING ABOUT PLINKING. She writes:

It is 7:00 on a Wednesday morning and just turning from dark to light. It is a beautiful 55 degrees. And I am loading magazines preparatory to going plinking. I got an Israeli-made autoloader for my birthday. Last year I got a gun-cleaning workbench. I’m easy to buy for.

Indoor ranges are fine, but for the most fun you can have with your clothes on, you have to plink in the desert of a beautiful clear morning. The mountains surround you on three sides. The bees are humming in perfect unison at a decibel level that you wouldn’t notice with city noises. The sun is just peeking over the horizon and the temperature will eventually drive you back to your air-conditioning or heat, depending on the season. But for now, all is perfect.

Here in the desert, in gay profusion all around us, the evidence exists of the inventive things that others have shot at: old 33 rpm record albums and their covers; retired Hallowe’en pumpkins; bowling pins; watermelons; metal targets that spin when you hit one of the movable arms; hay bales with shredded bullseye targets still on them. Shooters are a convivial lot – they will leave cool stuff to play with. They pick up their brass, though.

(Snip)

• Like 1

241835_3_.jpg

Hello there. My name is Eugene Robinson, and I want to show you just how mind numbingly stupid I can be Click Here To Find Out

BTW You're all Racists.

What a mucking foron.

You have your forons, and then you have your Robinsons.

@SrWoodchuck @NCTexan

@Pepper

Per their lame slamming of "if only a good guy with a gun".....3 of their police officers are dead from not having the ability to at least confront their murderers with a weapon.

Nowadays....I never leave my house, having to say, "Baaaaaa." Let me die in a pile of brass, if I have to go.

• Like 2

241835_3_.jpg

Hello there. My name is Eugene Robinson, and I want to show you just how mind numbingly stupid I can be Click Here To Find Out

BTW You're all Racists.

What a mucking foron.

You have your forons, and then you have your Robinsons.

@SrWoodchuck @NCTexan

@Pepper and @SrWoodchuck

Unfortunately... today there are so many forons in politics, TV and the MSM... it's hard to pick Eugene out from the rest of them.

It's kinda like trying to separate the pepper from the fly poop.

(No offense intended or implied Pepper. However I am deeply troubled that I may have offended any of the peppers out there who many not have understood the nuance of my remark.)

• Like 3

The only thing more confounding than trying to understand the thoughts of murdering terrorists like those in Paris... is trying to understand what possibly could be going on in the minds of most MSM so called journalists.

This is the second paragraph of CNN's lead story. The most important work item for the French government is to create "healing"? This sounds like code for preventing backlash against the killers?

It also sounds like something we'd hear in a White House press briefing of from the mouth of the Ohole himself.

The French government's work is not over. There's still a lot of healing to do, a lot of questions to answer about how to prevent future attacks, and the pursuit of a woman wanted in the policewoman's shooting.

• Like 2

The only thing more confounding than trying to understand the thoughts of murdering terrorists like those in Paris... is trying to understand what possibly could be going on in the minds of most MSM so called journalists.

This is the second paragraph of CNN's lead story. The most important work item for the French government is to create "healing"? This sounds like code for preventing backlash against the killers?

It also sounds like something we'd hear in a White House press briefing of from the mouth of the Ohole himself.

The French government's work is not over. There's still a lot of healing to do, a lot of questions to answer about how to prevent future attacks, and the pursuit of a woman wanted in the policewoman's shooting.

@NCTexan!

I'm thankful that there won't be any "show trials" for the murderers....something that would probably happen in progressive America.

The French gendarmes were not about to let them keep wasting air.

righteousmomma

I had to send NCT out to walk Rita. We both were a little perturbed to hear Bob Beckel on the 5 ( Fox) call radical islamic terrorists - "right wing extremists"

• Like 1

righteousmomma

Taranto has a good one tonight on the Wall Street Journal Editors Summary:

Opinion: Best of the Web Today - January 9, 2015‏

Fawlty Logic
Don’t mention Islam!

BY JAMES TARANTO

According to Vox’s Max Fisher, French celebrity intellectual Bernard-Henri Levy is a bigot who has an intellectual kinship with violent criminals. This columnist is not BHL’s most ardent admirer, but we’d nonetheless like to defend him against Fisher’s calumny.

Fisher doesn’t mention Levy by name, but his is a broad indictment that certainly includes the Frenchman in its sweep. Fisher’s headline: “Stop Asking Muslims to Condemn Terrorism. It’s Bigoted and Islamophobic.” In today’s Wall Street Journal, Levy does just that:

"Those whose faith is Islam must proclaim very loudly, very often and in great numbers their rejection of this corrupt and abject form of theocratic passion. Too often have we heard that France’s Muslims should be summoned to explain themselves. They don’t need to explain themselves, but they should feel called to express their tangible brotherhood with their massacred fellow citizens. In so doing, they would put to rest once and for all the lie of a spiritual commonality between their faith as they know it and that of the murderers.
They have the responsibility—the opportunity—before history and their own conscience to echo the “Not in our name!” with which Britain’s Muslims dissociated themselves last year from the Islamic State killers of journalist James Foley. But they also have the even more urgent duty to define their identity as sons and daughters of an Islam of tolerance and peace."

Here is Fisher’s objection:

"This expectation we place on Muslims, to be absolutely clear, is Islamophobic and bigoted. The denunciation is a form of apology: an apology for Islam and for Muslims. The implication is that every Muslim is under suspicion of being sympathetic to terrorism unless he or she explicitly says otherwise. The implication is also that any crime committed by a Muslim is the responsibility of all Muslims simply by virtue of their shared religion.
This sort of thinking—blaming an entire group for the actions of a few individuals, assuming the worst about a person just because of their [sic] identity—is the very definition of bigotry. It is also, by the way, the very same logic that leads French non-Muslims, outraged by the Charlie Hebdo murders, to attack French mosques in hateful and misguided retaliation."

We’d agree that attacks on mosques are hateful and misguided. Apart from that, every word of the quoted passage is wrong.

Let’s begin by noting a curious contrast between Fisher and his boss, Ezra Klein, who in a piece responding to the Paris massacre urged a know-nothing approach to the attackers’ ideological motivations. The murders, he wrote, “can only be explained by the madness of the perpetrators, who did something horrible and evil that almost no human beings anywhere ever do, and the condemnation doesn’t need to be any more complex than saying unprovoked mass slaughter is wrong.”

righteousmomma

I was going to post this liberal political correctness earlier but got too involved so here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/nicholas-kristof-lessons-from-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-in-paris.html?_r=0

The great divide is not between faiths. Rather it is between terrorists and moderates, between those who are tolerant and those who “otherwize.”

Yeh sure.

Is Life Worth Living? http://www.nationalreview.com/article/395915/life-worth-living-lee-edwards

These are troubling times for many Americans. The economic recovery since the Great Recession of 2008 has been the slowest in U.S. history, with millions of out-of-work Americans so discouraged they are no longer even trying to find a job. Forbes puts the real unemployment rate at 12.5 percent.

Consumer confidence about the future, according to the University of Michigan, stands at a limp 73.7, similar to past recession lows. The national exit poll taken after the November elections found that 78 percent of the people feel that you can only “sometimes” (60 percent) or “never” (18 percent) trust Washington “to do what is right.”

You can hardly blame people for being so negative about their government, given the actions of the anti–Tea Party IRS, the grievously ineffective Department of Veterans Affairs, and the overly inquisitive National Security Agency.

Most important of all, there is our culture. George Orwell was wrong, and Aldous Huxley was right: The true danger is not a totalitarian government ruled by Big Brother, but a hedonistic society tranquilized by drugs, sex, and mass media.

We are bombarded on all sides by pernicious messages. The Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule are fusty and old-fashioned and should be cast aside. Smoking a cigarette is banned, but smoking a joint is celebrated. “Pot entrepreneurs” are pushing to make Washington the Pot Capital of the World. Same-sex marriage is protected by our legal system, while traditional brides and grooms are patronized.

Cohabitation is the new norm for young couples. In the past decade, the percentage of children born outside of marriage grew by almost 7 percent; the unwed birth rate for African Americans is over 70 percent. The proportion of twelfth-graders admitting to drug use — ranging from marijuana to cocaine to heroin — is more than 25 percent.

The number of movies that offer death and destruction tops those concerned with life and love. TV programs such as House of Cards and Scandal, whose protagonists are corrupt, violent public officials, win awards. George Clooney is more famous than George Washington among our schoolchildren.

Scissors-32x32.png

So the bothersome question, “Is life worth living?” is bothersome because it forces us to consider not only our own life but the lives of others.

Aristotle, described by St. Thomas Aquinas as simply “The Philosopher,” said that happiness is the purpose of human existence. But happiness is not simply pleasure or self-gratification — it is the daily exercise of the classical virtues, led by prudence. Happiness, Aristotle said, is the sum of our whole life, “for as it is not one swallow or one fine day that makes a spring, so it is not one day or a short time that makes a man blessed and happy.” And since man is a rational animal, Aristotle said, human happiness depends on exercising reason, not being ruled by fleeting passions.

But Aristotle was a Greek philosopher who lived some 2,300 years ago. What do modern American thinkers say about what constitutes a good life, a worthwhile life?

Mary Rice Hasson of the Ethics & Public Policy Center counsels against despair. We have not yet lost the culture wars, she insists. For example, only 7 percent of Americans say that abortion is morally acceptable, only 4 percent say extramarital affairs are morally acceptable, and 50 percent think that homosexual activity is a sin. Overall, 72 percent of adults are still married to their first spouse. The sinews of a good society are there, if atrophied.

According to the conservatives’ favorite president, Ronald Reagan, “Every individual is unique, but we all want freedom and liberty, peace, love and security, a good home, and a chance to worship God in our own way; we all want the chance to get ahead and make our children’s lives better than our own.” Above all other places, Reagan wrote, America “gives us the freedom to reach out and make our dreams come true.” Note there is no mention of the government guaranteeing a job or a minimum wage or first place at the finishing line.

Best known for his political writing, William F. Buckley Jr. suggested in his book Nearer, My God, that work and prayer were the real stuff of a good life. “However routine,” he wrote, “work is a fortifying experience, your intimate sense of your own productivity.” Of his visit to the French town of Lourdes, the site of a thousand miracles, the Roman Catholic Buckley said that the pilgrims who visited Lourdes did so out of a conviction that “the Lord God loves his creatures, healthy or infirm; that they — we — must understand the nature of love, which is salvific in its powers.”

Scissors-32x32.png

NRO via iOTWReports

The Week in Pictures: Charlie Hebdo Edition

Steven Hayward

January 10, 2015

There is something obviously wrong with all of the “brave” cartoonists doing “pen is mightier than the sword” images. Yes, ideas rule over the long term, but in the short term bullets can cancel ballots, and end cartoonists, too. The idea of free expression depends on it being used for what the cultural left calls “transgressive” purposes. So how about some “transgressive” images directed at “the Prophet”? We’ll go there.

Charlie-Hebdo-3-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C

(Snip)

Charlie-Hebdo2-copy.jpg,qresize=460,P2C6

New-Art-Critic-copy.jpg,qresize=560,P2C3

Mohammed-Miss-Potato-Sack-copy.jpg,qresi

Mohammed judges the “Miss Potato Sack” pageant.

(Snip)

xWar-Over-copy.jpg,qresize=416,P2C579.pa

(Snip)

Non-Cartoon-copy.jpg,qresize=403,P2C341.

(Snip)

xGOP-Must-Compromise-copy.jpg,qresize=50

(Snip)

Gore-Glaciers-copy.jpg,qresize=446,P2C44

(Snip)

xWe-Have-Bacon-copy.jpg,qresize=538,P2C5

(Snip)

Autism-causes-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C38

(Snip)

And finally, as befits this week’s main theme, a double helping of the lady warriors of the IDF, who know what to do:

IDF-Chicks-5-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C520

xIDF-Chicks-6-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C53

• Like 3