Coffee Shop

Rheo

WARNING Reading this may cause brain damage

Here Are 10 Outrageous 'Zero Tolerance' Follies of 2014

Lenore Skenazy

Dec. 29, 2014

Are your children safe at school? That depends on if you're worried about bullies or administrators. Here are 10 of the most infamous "zero tolerance" punishments handed down to kids—and even some adults—this year.

(Snip)

10. Student suspended for twirling pencil, subjected to five-hour evaluation

Ethan Chaplin, 13, was twirling his pencil, which made the child sitting behind him feel "threatened or uncomfortable." That's all it took for the Vernon, New Jersey, school to send Chaplin for a 5-hour physical and psych evaluation. His urine was tested and blood drawn. “We never know what’s percolating in the mind of children, okay?" the superintendent, Charles Maranzano, said. "When they demonstrate behaviors that raise red flags, we must do our duty.”

And a very Happy New Year to everyone who goes to school, works at a school, or is suspended from school for a sandwich swap, monkey wrench, or pencil twirl!

It's a little known fact that Charlie Manson was famous for his pencil twirls.

DU: How did the Democratic Party let this President become so vilified?

Dec 31 2014

Because, in politics, if you do not defend yourself, your political opponents will destroy you.

Is the President's record really as indefensible as the Republicans would suggest?

If these character assaults continue, it will make it more difficult for Democrats in 2016. We need a Republican in the White House like we need another hole in the head.

(Snip)

DU: How did the Democratic Party let this President become so vilified?

Dec 31 2014

Because, in politics, if you do not defend yourself, your political opponents will destroy you.

Is the President's record really as indefensible as the Republicans would suggest?

If these character assaults continue, it will make it more difficult for Democrats in 2016. We need a Republican in the White House like we need another hole in the head.

(Snip)

Thanks for lifting the New Year's spirit @Valin!

From The Instapundit

January 1, 2015

I DOUBT THIS IS TRUE, BUT I WOULDN’T MIND IF IT WERE. DOES THIS MAKE ME A BAD PERSON? Iraqi and Kurdish Media Reports: ISIS Fighters Have Contracted Ebola.

You're not a bad person.

In fact, I'm thinking drones + Ebola might be a good attack strategy. Does that make me a bad person?

No.

Reid suffers broken ribs, facial bones in exercising accident

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid broke several ribs and facial bones when a piece of exercise equipment snapped at his Nevada home Thursday, causing the lawmaker to fall.

In a statement issued Friday, Reid's office said the 75-year-old senator was hospitalized overnight at University Medical Center in Las Vegas as a precaution. His security detail had initially taken Reid to St. Rose Dominican Hospital near his home in Henderson, Nevada.

The accident occurred when an elastic exercise band broke, striking Reid in the face and causing him to fall, said spokesman Adam Jentleson. Reid struck some equipment as he fell, breaking multiple bones near his right eye.

• Like 1

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid broke several ribs and facial bones when a piece of exercise equipment snapped at his Nevada home Thursday, causing the lawmaker to fall.

In a statement issued Friday, Reid's office said the 75-year-old senator was hospitalized overnight at University Medical Center in Las Vegas as a precaution. His security detail had initially taken Reid to St. Rose Dominican Hospital near his home in Henderson, Nevada.

The accident occurred when an elastic exercise band broke, striking Reid in the face and causing him to fall, said spokesman Adam Jentleson. Reid struck some equipment as he fell, breaking multiple bones near his right eye.

@clearvision

While not taking pleasure in another's pain....even if it is Dingy......I can reflect on his karma & think about Cosmic Bonks.

He must have been chewing gum at the time.

• Like 3

@clearvision

While not taking pleasure in another's pain....even if it is Dingy......I can reflect on his karma & think about Cosmic Bonks.

In this case I'll do it. To bad his jaw wasn't broken, so we we would not have to listen to him talk.

• Like 3

@clearvision

In this case I'll do it. To bad his jaw wasn't broken, so we we would not have to listen to him talk.

I agree. I can't stand the sound of his voice.

• Like 1

H/T Power Line

In which we award Michelle Ye Hee Lee one Rather

Scott Johnson

January 3, 2015

The Washington Post found Rudy Giuliani guilty of telling a whopper when he stated recently: “We’ve had four months of propaganda, starting with the president, that everybody should hate the police.” On Face the Nation this past Sunday, Major Garrett asked Giuliani if he wanted to retract his statement in light of the Washington’s Post’s verdict. Giuliani rejected the verdict (video below).

(Snip)

The Washington Post fact-check reporter to whom Giuliani was responding — Michelle Ye Hee Lee — was not amused. She has subjected Giuliani’s response to the machinery of her investigation.

First, she examines the claim that Sharpton has visited the White House “80, 85 times[.]” She verifies that Giuliani’s number comports with his source, but takes a close look at the White House data base. She will only vouch for 72 times. She breaks these 72 visits down scientifically into categories that seek to diminish the appearance of Sharpton’s standing. She then finds Giuliani guilty of exaggerating Sharpton’s status as a “close adviser” of Obama and awards Giuliani’s Face the Nation statement one Pinocchio.

Ms. Ye Hee Lee is guilty of glorified quibbling. In her rush to judgment, moreover, Ms. Ye Hee Lee overlooks Glenn Thrush’s reportage on Sharpton’s standing with the White House. Thrush characterized Sharpton as the White House’s go-to man on race. Thrush quoted White House sources making out Sharpton’s standing. Thrush’s article provides all the evidence necessary to support the gist of Giuliani’s Face the Nation statement. I therefore award Ms. Ye Hee Lee’s column one Rather, indicating selective use of evidence reflective of journalistic bias.

(Snip)

Via Seth Mandel/Commentary.

• Like 2

The Week in Pictures: Happy New Year Edition

Steven Hayward

January 3, 2015

I’ve already broken my new year’s resolution, which was to pay less attention to how much Obama annoys me. And he’s still in vacation. Anyway, here’s to 2015. And, Go Ducks! Any team with uniforms that awful has to be supported. I mean, are they kidding?

GOP-New-year-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2C467

New-years-Res-copy.jpg,qresize=391,P2C53

xZero-Mile-Run-copy.jpg,qresize=450,P2C5

Obama-Pee-Wee-copy.jpg,qresize=509,P2C48

(Snip)

Gutfeld-on-Obama-copy.jpg,qresize=552,P2

(Snip)

xHollywood-script-copy.jpg,qresize=555,P

Dynasty-copy.jpg,qresize=550,P2C417.page

(Snip)

Chicken-and-egg.jpg,qresize=362,P2C500.p

Germans-Light-Bulb-copy.jpg,qresize=468,

(Snip)

Glockamole-copy.jpg,qresize=501,P2C373.p

Glockamole dip?

(Snip)

Jets-Quarterback-copy.jpg,qresize=580,P2

And finally. . .

xHot-Angie-copy.jpg,qresize=279,P2C298.p

Bonus H/T The Gay Patriot

10888440_898460416865521_763116137020260

• Like 1

Mike Huckabee’s Final Fox News Show Airs Tonight

Breaking: Mike Huckabee‘s final “Huckabee” will air tonight, TVNewser has learned. Huckabee will announce on his show that he is parting ways with Fox News as he explores the possibility of a presidential run. The show was taped at Fox News studios in Manhattan this evening and will air tonight at 8pmET.

Huckabee began hosting his weekend show in Sept., 2008, months after he dropped out the race for the 2008 GOP nomination. In 2011, the former Arkansas governor teased on the May 14 episode of “Huckabee” that he would make a big announcement. At the time it was thought Huckabee would jump into the 2012 presidential race. Instead, the announcement was that he would be staying with Fox News.

Fox News executives have made it clear, that any host or contributor who is eyeing a presidential run would have to step aside from the network. Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum were both contributors when, in March 2011, Fox News suspended their contracts as they sought the GOP presidential nomination.

(Snip)

not-this-again.jpg

• Like 1