Drunkblogging Bill Clinton’s DNC Speech

Martinis and Bubba.

stephengreen-422125689.jpg

by

Stephen Green

Bio

September 5, 2012 - 7:09 pm

Scissors-32x32.png

7:09PM OK, here we go. I have a massive head cold and an even bigger scotch.

This will get ugly.

7:10PM Sandra Fluke as a warmup act to Bill Clinton.

Irony is dead on the left. It died young and left a corpse that wasn’t all that attractive, considering how much it spent on contraceptives.

7:10PM “Empowered.”

Drink.

7:15PM Guess we’re going to have to let that Costco membership slide. What a shame — we’ve needed a lot of cheap booze the last four years.

7:17PM Wow. They brought out Elizabeth Warren for real.

“I never dreamed I’d be the warmup act for President Bill Clinton.”

Yeah… neither did he.

7:18PM Rich Democrats telling sob stories to a nation with 11% (real) unemployment won’t go over so well, methinks.

7:19PM I’m watching the C-SPAN feed, meaning I get all of this without any sort of cutaways or commercial interruption.

So… y’all owe me, bigtime.

H/T Instapundit

• Like 3

More comic relief:

Menino no ‘mordel’ speaker

howie_carr.gif?1=1 By Howie Carr

Thursday, September 6, 2012 - Updated 2 hours ago

Scissors-32x32.png

Mumbles Menino will never let you down.

Right out of the box yesterday at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, he introduces himself to the crowd of delegates.

“I come from Boston ... where millions of students have come to study, and ‘cluding’ a great American name, Martha Luther King Jr.”

That’s what he said, Martha Luther King Jr. Any relation to BU grad Martin Luther King Jr., Mumbles? He was a Republican, you know.

Speaking of Republicans, that was Mumbles’ assignment, taking down Mitt Romney a few pegs. Even Mumbles had to admit “we worked together pretty well” — like before the 2004 Democratic convention, when Mitt and Mumbles got together to save Liveshot Kerry’s convention while he played Hamlet up in Louisburg Square. But that was then, and this is now, and it’s time to put the blast on Willard.

“His campaign’s based in Boston, a city mooing forward.”

Not moving, mooing.

Mitt Romney's first name is Willard. Howie also treated Dukakis to this treatment: M. Stanley Dukakis.

Fauxcahontas bores John Kerry

Posted at 11:58 pm on September 5, 2012 by Twitchy Staff | View Comments

Scissors-32x32.png

BB_MT_normal.jpg

Here's the video of John Kerry caught on camera yawning in the middle of Elizabeth Warren's speech:

Mass. Democratic Senate candidate and ethnic preference fabulist Elizabeth Warren, known affectionately to all informed political observers as #Fauxcohantas, delivered her usual Salt of the Earth stemwinder. Senior Mass. Democrat Sen. John Kerry gave his candid review in an unscripted moment caught by CNN. Hilarity and sympathy yawns ensued:

Here's the video of John Kerry caught on camera yawning in the middle of Elizabeth Warren's speech:

1l54pe5lek1u7ibqjv48_normal.jpeg

In all fairness, can you blame him?

Posted at 11:24 PM ET, 09/05/2012

Horror show: Wednesday night at the DNC

By Jennifer Rubin

Scissors-32x32.png

Wednesday was a wonderful political day for Republicans. Let’s recap. The day started off with the flap over platform language. That in turn led to the spectacle of Democratic delegates booing the vote to put back Jerusalem and God back into the platform. It was even in the eyes of the most Obama-sympathetic media a horrid disruption, signaling both incompetence and hostility to things that many if not most Americans hold dear. The news got worse as Politico reported that the president had signed off on the platform sans God and Jerusalem. The Romney camp could hardly believe the avalanche of atrocious press. (Democratic National Committee chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s insistence that there had been no controversy brought CNN’s Anderson Cooper to declare she was operating in an “alternate universe.”)

It was a remarkable, actual newsmaking episode, something we rarely get at conventions. Moreover, it was the worst blunder in a scripted TV event in recent memory.

H/T Instapundit

Posted at 11:58 PM ET, 09/05/2012

Bill Clinton’s long, long speech about the meanie Republicans

By Jennifer Rubin

Scissors-32x32.png

Bill Clinton, don’t get me wrong, was the best speaker Wednesday night. But that is largely because the rest of the evening was atrocious. Clinton was hoarse, and he seemed to holler for no reason at all. He decried those meanie Republicans of today (the favorite ploy of partisan Democrats is to praise every Republican no longer in office), and he repeated the tropes that Republicans want you to be on your own, want a “winner-take-all” society and want to help only the rich. Yawn.

At times his defense of President Obama strained credulity: Obama, he said, is bipartisan because he hired Republicans in government jobs and he is willing to work “cooperatively.” The Obama record is so obviously at odds with that sentiment (unilateral action on immigration and on welfare and the refusal to make a deal entitlements or address the fiscal cliff) that Clinton’s argument seemed unserious.

H/T Instapundit

Edited by saveliberty

Romney: DNC a 'celebration of failure'

By Justin Sink - 09/05/12 06:11 PM ET

Scissors-32x32.png

Mitt Romney blasted the first day of the Democratic convention on Wednesday, saying that the effort by his political rivals was "so far a celebration of failure."

Romney and his allies have pounced on Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley's comments over the weekend that Americans are not better off than they were four years ago. The top Democratic surrogate has since walked back those remarks, and officials with the Obama campaign have contended this week that Americans are better off under Obama's presidency.

But the Republican nominee brushed aside those assertions in an interview with Fox News, noting that the "better off" message hasn't been expressed from the stage in Charlotte, N.C.

H/T Instapundit

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz: Hey, there was no discord on the floor over that God and Jerusalem language; Update: “Alternate universe”; Update: Interviews canceled

posted at 9:02 pm on September 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Scissors-32x32.png

Via BuzzFeed, even by the usual standards of America’s most lifelike talking-points robot, this is rote Orwellian spinbabble. I wasn’t watching CNN when it aired but apparently even the anchors found it too egregious to let it pass without comment:

MaddyDad_normal.JPG

Anderson Cooper's reaction to
' CNN performance: "That's an alternate universe."

• Like 1

God not “booed” but DNC Policies and Smarts Unclear

September 5, 2012 By Elizabeth Scalia 4 Comments

Obama-and-God.jpg

Scissors-32x32.png

After the Democrats made a hasty move to restore God and a policy about Jerusalem into their national platform, from which they’d earlier been expunged, I see a lot of headlines (and tweets) about this video, and describing convention attendees as “booing God and Jerusalem.

If, in fact, that’s what they’re doing, you gotta think that (especially for the so-called “smart” party**), that’s pretty dumb. Not only do you not put those optics out there, you also don’t give an impression that you’re done with God or weak on God’s holiest spot, Jerusalem, and you especially don’t do it when the headlines are blaring that your policy on Jerusalem is so oblique as to be indeterminable. You want to take a stand. You want your position to be clear, or at least seem clear.

rogersimon-1083163516.jpg

Jerusalem Debacle at the DNC: Whither the Jewish Vote?

September 6, 2012 - 12:00 am - by Roger L Simon

Scissors-32x32.png

I was both elated and scared when I heard the “nays” and “boos” emanating from the Democratic National Convention floor Wednesday as a pathetic Antonio Villaraigosa desperately tried to take votes amending the Democratic platform on “God” and “Jerusalem” — elated because I was watching a bogus public dumb show come apart, at least temporarily, at the seams, but scared because I was staring, again at least temporarily, into the gaping yaw of the 1930s.

For those fleeting seconds, I realized that, yes, it could also happen here, because, make no mistake about it, those copious boos were not for “God” (except, perhaps, for a few scattered nitwits), but for Israel. A sizable and serious claque on the Democratic National Convention floor was shouting and applauding against the Jews.

Edited by saveliberty

by Bridget Johnson

The Night — and Maybe the DNC — Belonged to Bill Clinton

Scissors-32x32.png

President Clinton came just five minutes shy of the length of his 1992 nomination speech in a gift tonight to President Obama: an endorsement speech that hit on every embattled topic from ObamaCare and “shared prosperity” to voter ID and the DREAM Act.

“We’re here to nominate a president, and I’ve got one in mind,” Clinton said. “I want to nominate a man whose own life has known its fair share of adversity and uncertainty. …I want a man who believes with no doubt that we can build a new American dream economy, driven by innovation and creativity, by education and, yes, by cooperation. And by the way, after last night, I want a man who had the good sense to marry Michelle Obama.”

“I want Barack Obama to be the next president of the United States and I proudly nominate him as the standard bearer of the Democratic Party,” he said, kicking off his remarks.

Krauthammer: Clinton’s speech truly self-indulgent, wasted opportunity, strangest nomination speech evah!

Posted by The Right Scoop on September 6th, 2012

Scissors-32x32.png

Krauthammer didn’t much care for Bill Clinton’s nomination speech tonight, saying that it was undisciplined, sprawling, truly self-indulgent and may be one of the strangest nomination speeches ever given. He called it a wasted opportunity for what could have been a rousing endorsement of Obama.

video at the link

Edited by saveliberty
  • Like 1

by Bridget Johnson

Scissors-32x32.png

President Clinton came just five minutes shy of the length of his 1992 nomination speech in a gift tonight to President Obama: an endorsement speech that hit on every embattled topic from ObamaCare and “shared prosperity” to voter ID and the DREAM Act.

“We’re here to nominate a president, and I’ve got one in mind,” Clinton said. “I want to nominate a man whose own life has known its fair share of adversity and uncertainty. …I want a man who believes with no doubt that we can build a new American dream economy, driven by innovation and creativity, by education and, yes, by cooperation. And by the way, after last night, I want a man who had the good sense to marry Michelle Obama.”

“I want Barack Obama to be the next president of the United States and I proudly nominate him as the standard bearer of the Democratic Party,” he said, kicking off his remarks.

I made a small wager everyone in that room last night wished Bill was their candidate....not Obama.

• Like 2

righteousmomma

I just read the transcript of Clinton's speech.

Let's all of us be nice and co operative and stop our evil progress blocking ways and reelect the only ones who can save us.

One thing ya have to give Clinton- he is a masterful politician - probably the most charming, smartest, best self agrandizing lie-ing hypocrite there is.

Calling all idiots who were on the fence. Just watch for the donkey paddies.

Hey Repubs, it's not the economy , stupid. It's ideology.

Btw, Drudge has excerpts from Woodward's new book. They don't exactly jive with Clinton's evaluations.

Krauthammer: Clinton’s speech truly self-indulgent, wasted opportunity, strangest nomination speech evah!

Posted by The Right Scoop on September 6th, 2012

Scissors-32x32.png

Krauthammer didn’t much care for Bill Clinton’s nomination speech tonight, saying that it was undisciplined, sprawling, truly self-indulgent and may be one of the strangest nomination speeches ever given. He called it a wasted opportunity for what could have been a rousing endorsement of Obama.

video at the link

I disagree. I thought it was a really good speech. Remember who Bill was speaking to. He told them everything they wanted to hear, and did it with passion. A Great piece of spin.

Just noticed that Google has a hot link to watch Obama's acceptance speech tonight on their main page.

I don't remember them doing that for Romney... My memory must be slipping in my old age.

• Like 2

Pelosi, Frank, Fluke, Clinton...........yeah......we're gonna be watching football chez Mozie...........what a lineup............blink.png

If you read that aloud, it doesn't sound tasteful

Pelosi, Frank, Fluk, Clinton..

Did anyone see the voice vote at the DNC on changes to platform recognizing Jerusalem as capital and restoring God? They had to take three voice votes before the chairman finally said the vote was the way the DNC wanted it to be, agreed to.

Even CNN is saying it was embarrassing for the DNC to not even be able to agree.

I think this crowd would vote to deny the holocaust.

As Lars Larson said, being forced to do the right thing at the point of a gun is not.

Bridget Johnson

9/5/12

Obama came out on stage after the 48-minute address — the third-longest in Clinton’s seven Democratic National Conventions — for a stiff hug and to pose for the cameras together. The state roll call then began to formally nominate Obama for a second term.

But the night belonged to the two-term president from Arkansas.

(Snip)

@Valin

Thanks for that image of the teleprompter for God and Israel vote

http://www.therights...rdless-outcome/

@Valin

Some of us are talking about this at CGP

greenleaf

"Is it possible to believe in a Judeo-Christian God, and be a democrat?

Maybe just barely, but you had better keep it quiet."

Valin

"God is not a Democrat...God is not a Republican...God is.

The question is not, or should not be, Is God On Our Side...but as Abraham Lincoln put it, Are We On Gods Side.

That being said...one thing I think is true (and yesterdays platform vote bears me out) one party is more outwardly secular than the other."