Coffee Shop

Rheo

Another story, via flashback, why any panic is premature. A Slate opinion piece on "Why Bush is Toast" It could have been written today about the current campaign

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2000/09/why_bush_is_toast.html

Since Labor Day, the media have released about 20 polls on the presidential race. Three show a dead heat, one shows George W. Bush leading by a single percentage point, and the rest show Al Gore leading by one to 10 points. In the latest polls, Gore leads by an average of five points. It's fashionable at this stage to caution that "anything can happen," that Bush is "retooling," and that the numbers can turn in Bush's favor just as easily as they turned against him. But they can't. The numbers are moving toward Gore because fundamental dynamics tilt the election in his favor. The only question has been how far those dynamics would carry him. Now that he has passed Bush, the race is over.

Yes, in principle, Bush could win. The stock market could crash. Gore could be caught shagging an intern. Bush could electrify the country with the greatest performance in the history of presidential debates. But barring such a grossly unlikely event, there is noreason to think Bush will recover. Ultimately, reasons drive elections. For months, pundits yapped about Bush's lead in the polls without scrutinizing the basis of that lead. Now they're doing the same to Gore. But look closely at the trends beneath the horse-race numbers, and you'll realize why it's practically impossible to turn those numbers around. Gore doesn't just have the lead. On each underlying factor, he has the upside as well.

1. Peace and prosperity. Bush's allies have always pointed to the incongruity between his poll numbers and the current peace and prosperity as evidence of his strength. They had it backward. That gap reflected the extent of the economic strength Gore had yet to exploit. Gore had nothing but upside on these crucial issues, while Bush had nothing but downside. On the question of which candidate can handle the economy better, the Republican convention trimmed Gore's numbers by just one point in the USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll and two points in the Washington Post/ABC News poll. The Democratic convention, on the other hand, blew 10 and 12 points off Bush's numbers in those polls, putting Gore on top.

There's no reason to think this trend will stop, much less reverse. Gore can gain votes just by reciting economic data and linking those data to his administration. All Bush can do is limit his losses by disputing those links. Nobody who thinks we're better off than we were eight years ago is going to be convinced in the next nine weeks that we aren't. And nobody who thinks the vice president deserves some credit for this is going to be convinced that he doesn't. At this point, the people most susceptible to persuasion are those who have forgotten the extent of economic progress since 1992 or have never considered the idea that the good economy might have something to do with the guy who stands next to Bill Clinton.

Scissors-32x32.png

Jim Treacher@jtLOL

President Genius McBrainsfordays can’t figure out an iPhone: http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/10/president-genius-mcbrainsfordays-cant-figure-out-an-iphone/ …Expand

6h Brad Thor@BradThor

@jtLOL Now we know why his grades have been kept sealed...

Retweeted by Jim Treacher Hide conversation

11:54 AM - 10 Sep 12 · Details

Tweet text

Image will appear as a link

6h L. Allen@L_Allen_

.@BradThor My theory: Obama's grades are sealed because he only got half a sunshine in math & a frowning kitty cat in history @jtLOL #tcot

Expand

From the WashingtonTimes

The owner of a Florida pizza shop says people are boycotting his business because he bear-hugged President Barack Obama on Sunday.

“People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant,” Scott Van Duzer, 46, told POLITICO. “There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.”

The owner of Big Apple Pizza & Pasta Restaurant in Fort Pierce, Fla., said that both Democrats and Republicans are welcome in his store.

Read more:http://times247.com/articles/obama-hugger-s-shop-facing-boycott?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz266tQTq9d

A2dmJnHCUAA-V6f.jpg

Eric Kohn@iEricKohn

@emzanotti Literacy rate commensurate to something more like this: pic.twitter.com/tmJm6XsY

Retweeted by David Burge

I make lots of unintentional misspellings when I am typing. HOWEVER, I would make absolutely for CERTAIN that any political sign I held up was spelled correctly. These are teachers for crying out loud! ohmy.png

A2dmJnHCUAA-V6f.jpg

Eric Kohn@iEricKohn

@emzanotti Literacy rate commensurate to something more like this: pic.twitter.com/tmJm6XsY

Retweeted by David Burge

I make lots of unintentional misspellings when I am typing. HOWEVER, I would make absolutely for CERTAIN that any political sign I held up was spelled correctly. These are teachers for crying out loud! ohmy.png

LMFAO.gif but it is also sad for the kids who are taught by these lunatics!!!

A2dmJnHCUAA-V6f.jpg

Eric Kohn@iEricKohn

Retweeted by David Burge

OK, the question is, How is the GOP the cause of this?

A2dmJnHCUAA-V6f.jpg

Eric Kohn@iEricKohn

Retweeted by David Burge

OK, the question is, How is the GOP the cause of this?

We distracted him by talking about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? LMFAO.gif

You think you joke @Valin

Portland school sees racism in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

@nickydog

And I suspect you want that PB&J on WHITE Bread!

Home -> News -> WHITE HOUSE INSIDER: Ohio Now Turning To Romney – Polling Data 101

WHITE HOUSE INSIDER: Ohio Now Turning To Romney – Polling Data 101

by Ulsterman on September 10, 2012 with 67 Comments in News

A longtime D.C. political operative gives us a quick rundown on a new Ohio poll that on the surface would appear to favor Barack Obama. Not so fast says Insider – this poll is apparently GREAT news for Mitt Romney and has the Obama team growing increasingly concerned. Here’s why.

romney-ohio-speech-division.jpg

Scissors-32x32.png

Insider: Go look up the latest Public Policy poll. It’s on Ohio. Obama has to have Ohio. Critical. Biden has been sent out there about four times this past week alone. Romney has just started the ad blitz in that state so this poll won’t even reflect that push. I am going to use this poll to show how we read this stuff. How somebody like me, really pulls the facts from the bullshit of those polls. Their side is doing this. Our side is doing this. They put out a headline, we ignore that headline. We know the facts. And they know we know the facts. From there the messaging is formed. If we don’t like the perception we spend millions changing that perception. They are doing the same thing. Difference is, they don’t have me.

So back to the PPP data. Now Public Policy is left leaning. Keep that in mind. And that poll comes out right after the DNC. That was no accident. It’s an attempt to form the perception I just told you about. Try and counter the internal data. There’s the kicker here. Obama spent money in Ohio. They ran at least three internals over the last few weeks that I know of. Each time they came back showing Ohio leaning for Romney. Tight but leaning. And that’s after the Obama campaign has spent a ton of money there. And the unions working double time to help out Obama as well. Obama’s #s are stuck in Ohio. They won’t budge. Romney’s #s keep creeping up. So the campaign is sh-tting itself trying to figure out what to do. Like I said, Obama has to have Ohio. And Oh isn’t the state that jumped over to Romney I told you about before. That state is looking to be wrapped up for Romney. An early night earthquake on Election Night. Ohio is a major front for the campaign war. Romney has Obama spending big $$$$ that they didn’t think they would have to. And while Obama’s donations are leveling off or dropping off, Romney’s donations keep pouring in.

For 9/11: “We pray, very simply, in remembrance…”

September 10, 2012 By Deacon Greg Kandra

110912062130-9-11-ten-year-memorials-updated-00021626-story-top-575x323.jpg

Scissors-32x32.png

“It is difficult to capture what this anniversary means to us as Americans, as New Yorkers, as Catholic Christians. The things we feel are almost beyond words. We are still, in many ways, groping in the dark, struggling to find a way to deal with what happened, and how much our lives and our world have changed. Yet, this day, as we come before the altar of God with our prayers and petitions, our grief and our anger, we hear these words from the ancient prophet:

“Forgive your neighbor’s injustice; then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven. Think of the commandments, hate not your neighbor; remember the Most High’s covenant, and overlook faults.”

In the gospel, Jesus says it again: “Forgive your brother,” he says, “from your heart.”

But how? I wish I knew. I wish there were a mystical way to click on a forgiveness switch in the human heart. I wish I knew how to love all my enemies and pray for all my persecutors and “forgive my neighbor’s injustice” – even this most heinous injustice of all.

9/11 lawsuit ‘Bigger than your wildest imagination’

‘Abysmal’ security could cost Massport billions

jdwinell50.jpg?1=1 By Joe Dwinell

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - Updated 5 hours ago

Scissors-32x32.png

Massport could be on the hook for billions of dollars in damages as part of a lawsuit filed by the owners of the World Trade Center who accuse the agency of “abysmal” security at Logan Airport on Sept. 11, 2001, when al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked two jets and unleashed their war on America.

The suit — one of the last linked to the attacks 11 years ago today — could give the country its first courtroom airing of airport security blunders, and might end in a staggering jury award.

“This could be bigger than your wildest imagination,” said attorney Don Migliori, a partner in the Motley Rice law firm in Providence, and an expert on 9/11 litigation. “You don’t have any idea what will happen if this goes to a jury. Anything can happen.”

Tragedy times two.