Coffee Shop

Rheo

That special bond between father and daughter

July 10, 2012 By Deacon Greg Kandra

You can’t put a price on memories like this. Watch what happens when big, brave Dad agrees to go on the scariest ride at the amusement park with his little girl.

Calling @Geee, @Pepper and @Rheo biggrin.png

Cute movie, Save!

I like the little hand check - confirmatory hand holding the man does prior to second ride. Priceless!

• Like 1

Instapundit

THOUGHTS ON BEING HEARD: Sarah Hoyt stands up to Oikophobia.

Read the whole thing.

Finally she says, in a bombastic tone, “You see, I wish I weren’t an American. I’m trying to leave the country.”

Only a leftest would have trouble figuring out how to leave this country.

thinking.gif Now I'm not all that bright, and barely got out of High School, but it wouldn't take me more than....10-15 minutes to figure it out.

saveliberty

Instapundit

THOUGHTS ON BEING HEARD: Sarah Hoyt stands up to Oikophobia.

Read the whole thing.

Finally she says, in a bombastic tone, "You see, I wish I weren't an American. I'm trying to leave the country."

Only a leftest would have trouble figuring out how to leave this country.

thinking.gif Now I'm not all that bright, and barely got out of High School, but it wouldn't take me more than....10-15 minutes to figure it out.

@Valin, there are many different kinds of intelligence. You are smart, you just don't make a big deal about it, which is very endearing.

I was surprised that the woman did question her assumptions.

saveliberty

@saveliberty

I would not have been as gentle with her as Sarah Hoyt....but then I do not suffer fools well..or long.

Sarah Hoyt did a marvelous job.

The fool part, well I live in Massachusetts. My favorite story is when we first joined the church that we attend, Mom and I volunteered to make up Easter baskets for the Lazarus House. The parish is in an affluent and liberal (but I repeat myself) community. We live in a blue collar town nearby. We love the music there and the Homilies.

While making up the bunny baskets, all of the well-heeled women wanted to be the manager. As in project manager. It was like a status thing. The real organizer was running here hither and yon and was working really hard.

I just made up basket after basket. I'd set up a little area where I could work in an orderly way. I got a lot of questions from the wannabe project managers about how to do something and I would help.

But the wealthy women were still struggling for control.

Over chocolate bunnies. :rolleyes:

@saveliberty

I would not have been as gentle with her as Sarah Hoyt....but then I do not suffer fools well..or long.

Sarah Hoyt did a marvelous job.

The fool part, well I live in Massachusetts. My favorite story is when we first joined the church that we attend, Mom and I volunteered to make up Easter baskets for the Lazarus House. The parish is in an affluent and liberal (but I repeat myself) community. We live in a blue collar town nearby. We love the music there and the Homilies.

While making up the bunny baskets, all of the well-heeled women wanted to be the manager. As in project manager. It was like a status thing. The real organizer was running here hither and yon and was working really hard.

I just made up basket after basket. I'd set up a little area where I could work in an orderly way. I got a lot of questions from the wannabe project managers about how to do something and I would help.

But the wealthy women were still struggling for control.

Over chocolate bunnies. :rolleyes:

Lord grant me strength!

saveliberty

Barone: Like charter schools, Britain's academies aim high

July 14, 2012

Michael Barone

Examiner Senior Political Analyst

The Washington Examiner w200-f349cd516821112319e40b0686f5e281.jpg

CAMBRIDGE, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 13: A general view of Trinity College on March 13, 2012 in Cambridge, England. Cambridge has a student population in excess of 22,000 spread over 31 different independent Colleges across the city. The city is home to several famous University's, including The University of Cambridge, which was founded in 1209, and is ranked one of the top five universities in the world, King's College Chapel, and Trinity College. Famous alumni have included the likes of Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, Samuel Pepys and David Attenborough. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Scissors-32x32.png

LONDON

1776 is a number with great resonance for Americans, but not one you expect to be featured on a British government website. But there it is, on the home page of the United Kingdom's Department of Education: "As of 1 April 2012 there are 1776 academies open in England."

Academies, as you might expect, mean something different in Britain than in the United States. They are, approximately, what we would call charter schools. And there are 1,776 of them largely because of the energy and determination of British Education Secretary Michael Gove.

Edited by saveliberty

@saveliberty

The Blob wants students to have lots of self-esteem and deems it oppressive to demand that they learn to read or do multiplication tables.

If you didn't learn your Times tables and felt bad about getting an F, Sister Margaret and her gang at St. John the evangilist would tell you GOOD! Then lay a guilt trip on you....but next time you'd get it right. They were not there to make you feel good, they were there to teach you, andtheir rule was...You will learn, or it will not go well for you.

saveliberty

Five Myths Challenging everything you think you know

Five myths about free enterprise

By Arthur Brooks, Published: July 13

Scissors-32x32.png

The 2012 presidential campaign is shaping up to be a battle of two economic philosophies. One favors a greater redistributive and regulatory role for the government; the other prioritizes the values of free enterprise, including private property, individual liberty and limited government. Given the economic hardships the United States has endured in recent years, it is tempting to conclude that free markets are no longer best for us — but that would misread our history, and buy into myths about the impact of free enterprise.

1. Free enterprise hurts the poor.

The Occupy Wall Street movement of 2011 and plenty of politicians would have us believe that the free-market system is a contest between the ultra-rich and everyone else (the “99 percent”). But in fact, there never has been a greater force for helping the poor than free enterprise.

@Valin, they were more interested in making sure that you knew than in being your pal or looking for employment benefits.

That was then...this is now. The good news is, That which can't go on...won't.

pollyannaish

It is OFFICAL You Are A Bad Terrible Person.

That is unseriouslness at it's best. I've seen that kind of ridiculousness from the right as well...but the difference is the fact that our leadership is smart enough to push it aside and behave like grown ups.

But if that is what it means to be a bad terrible person, well, I guess I am.

saveliberty

Instapundit

Scissors-32x32.png

TODAY’S SHOCKING DISCOVERY: Choices Matter In Avoiding Poverty.

UPDATE: Reader Bill Reece writes:

I had a law professor who taught the traditional business related law classes at my law school who followed the Chicago School’s “Law and Economics” Theory of Law...

Read the whole thing.

saveliberty

Jonah Goldberg made a comment in response on the Fox News Panel to the effect that the President's statement was so crammed full of fallacies and banalities as to be like a clown car.

I transcribed as well as I could.