Coffee Shop

Rheo

saveliberty

Video: George W. and the warriors

posted at 11:01 am on July 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Scissors-32x32.png

The subjects of today’s story are a bit of an odd pairing. The first is Piers Morgan, who many of our readers likely don’t watch on a regular basis. He’s on CNN, for starters, seems to demonstrate some left skewing views and is most often seen interviewing celebrities or the inventor of Chapstick.

But this week he did a feature story on former president George W. Bush. This one has nothing to do with politics, which W largely stays out of anyway, but instead promotes a mountain bike race he sponsors for wounded veterans. The feature also tells the story of one of the warriors in question, how he happened to originally meet Bush, and how that led to the creation of this event.

Read the whole thing and also watch the video. :) You will be glad you did.

saveliberty

Why Conservatives Are Happier Than Liberals

08HAPPY-articleLarge.jpg

By ARTHUR C. BROOKS

Published: July 7, 2012

Scissors-32x32.png

WHO is happier about life — liberals or conservatives? The answer might seem straightforward. After all, there is an entire academic literature in the social sciences dedicated to showing conservatives as naturally authoritarian, dogmatic, intolerant of ambiguity, fearful of threat and loss, low in self-esteem and uncomfortable with complex modes of thinking. And it was the candidate Barack Obama in 2008 who infamously labeled blue-collar voters “bitter,” as they “cling to guns or religion.” Obviously, liberals must be happier, right?

Wrong. Scholars on both the left and right have studied this question extensively, and have reached a consensus that it is conservatives who possess the happiness edge. Many data sets show this. For example, the Pew Research Center in 2006 reported that conservative Republicans were 68 percent more likely than liberal Democrats to say they were “very happy” about their lives. This pattern has persisted for decades. The question isn’t whether this is true, but why.

My signature/tag line stands validated once again.

CNSNEWS

‘I,’ ‘Me’—Obama Uses First-Person Pronoun 117 Times in 1 Speech

Speaking in Sandusky, Ohio on July 5, President Barack Obama used the first-person pronouns “I” and “me” a combined 117 times in a speech that lasted about 25 minutes and 32 seconds.

Obama used “I” 98 times and “me” 19 times, according to a transcript of the speech posted by the White House. A

posted on YouTube shows that Obama spoke for about 25-and-a-half minutes.

During this speech, Obama used “I” or “me” approximately once every 13.09 seconds.

• Like 1

SrWoodchuck

The new Obama Administration's Czar of Alternative Lifestyles:

32.jpg

Pic from TheFeralIrishman

• Like 1

SrWoodchuck

From KnuckleDragginMyLifeAway:

Last Saturday afternoon, in Washington , D.C. , an aide to Nancy Pelosi visited the Bishop of the Catholic cathedral in D.C.. He told the Cardinal that Nancy Pelosi would be attending the next day's Mass, and he asked if the Cardinal would kindly point out Pelosi to the congregation and say a few words that would include calling Pelosi a "saint".

The Cardinal replied, "No. I don't really like the woman, and there are her issues of conflict with the Catholic Church over certain of Pelosi's views."

Pelosi's aide said, "Look, I'll write a check here and now for a donation of $100,000 to your church if you'll just tell the congregation you see Pelosi as a saint.”

The Cardinal then thought about it and said, "Well, the church can use the money, so I'll work your request into tomorrow's sermon."

As Pelosi's aide promised, Nancy Pelosi appeared for the Sunday worship and seated herself prominently at the forward left side of the center aisle.

As promised, and at the start of his sermon, the Cardinal pointed out that Ms.Pelosi was present. The Cardinal then went on to explain to the congregation, "While Ms. Pelosi's presence is probably an honor to some, the woman is not numbered among my personal favorite personages. Some of her most egregious views are contrary to tenets of the Church, and she tends to flip- flop on many other issues. Nancy Pelosi is a petty, self -absorbed hypocrite, a thumb sucker, and a nit-wit. Nancy Pelosi is also a serial liar, a cheat, and a thief. I must also say Nancy Pelosi is the worst example of a Catholic I have ever personally witnessed. She married for money and is using her wealth to lie to the American people. She also has a well known reputation for shirking her Representative obligations both in Washington, and in California. The woman is simply NOT to be trusted."

The Cardinal concluded, "But, when compared with President Obama, Ms. Pelosi is a saint."

-Stu

• Like 1

LOL, Sr Woodchuck.

Been reading Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg. Given the history he describes, I don't think that it is an accident that Obama has given the go-ahead to HHS to smash head-on to the Catholic Church. It's part of the playbook and they much have made the judgment that the church is weak enough from the parade of compromises too many bishops have been willing to make over the last generation or so.

I suspect that their judgment is wrong. I certainly hope and pray that there their judgment is wrong. I am pleased and proud that the bishops have been so strong and united on this issue. Perhaps their eyes have been open on some other issues too. :)

Popes JPII and BXVI have been clear thinkers all along, thank Goodness! :wub:

From KnuckleDragginMyLifeAway:

Last Saturday afternoon, in Washington , D.C. , an aide to Nancy Pelosi visited the Bishop of the Catholic cathedral in D.C.. He told the Cardinal that Nancy Pelosi would be attending the next day's Mass, and he asked if the Cardinal would kindly point out Pelosi to the congregation and say a few words that would include calling Pelosi a "saint".

The Cardinal replied, "No. I don't really like the woman, and there are her issues of conflict with the Catholic Church over certain of Pelosi's views."

Pelosi's aide said, "Look, I'll write a check here and now for a donation of $100,000 to your church if you'll just tell the congregation you see Pelosi as a saint.”

The Cardinal then thought about it and said, "Well, the church can use the money, so I'll work your request into tomorrow's sermon."

As Pelosi's aide promised, Nancy Pelosi appeared for the Sunday worship and seated herself prominently at the forward left side of the center aisle.

As promised, and at the start of his sermon, the Cardinal pointed out that Ms.Pelosi was present. The Cardinal then went on to explain to the congregation, "While Ms. Pelosi's presence is probably an honor to some, the woman is not numbered among my personal favorite personages. Some of her most egregious views are contrary to tenets of the Church, and she tends to flip- flop on many other issues. Nancy Pelosi is a petty, self -absorbed hypocrite, a thumb sucker, and a nit-wit. Nancy Pelosi is also a serial liar, a cheat, and a thief. I must also say Nancy Pelosi is the worst example of a Catholic I have ever personally witnessed. She married for money and is using her wealth to lie to the American people. She also has a well known reputation for shirking her Representative obligations both in Washington, and in California. The woman is simply NOT to be trusted."

The Cardinal concluded, "But, when compared with President Obama, Ms. Pelosi is a saint."

-Stu

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark....Some bishop really needs to speak these words.

Are Universities, Public Schools Dismantling American Culture?

America-Lite: How Imperial Academia Dismantled Our Culture (and Ushered In the Obamacrats)

David Gelernter

Book Description

Publication Date: June 26, 2012

America-Lite (where we all live) is just like America, only turned into an amusement park or a video game or a supersized Pinkberry, where the past and future are blank and there is only a big NOW. How did we come to expect no virtue and so much cynicism from our culture, our leaders—and each other?

In this refreshingly judgmental book, David Gelernter connects the historical dots to reveal a stealth revolution carried out by post-religious globalist intellectuals who, by and large, “can’t run their own universities or scholarly fields, but are very sure they can run you.” These imperial academics have deployed their students into the top echelon of professions once monopolized by staid and steady WASPs. In this simple way, they have installed themselves as the new designated drivers of American culture.

Imperial academics live in a world of theory; they preach disdain for mere facts and for old-fashioned fact-based judgments like true or false. Schoolchildren are routinely taught theories about history instead of actual history—they learn, for example, that all nations are equally nice except for America, which is nearly always nasty.

With academic experts to do our thinking for us, we’ve politely shut up and let second-raters take the wheel. In fact, we have handed the keys to the star pupil and teacher’s pet of the post-religious globalist intellectuals, whose election to the presidency of the United States constituted the ultimate global group hug.

How do we finally face the truth and get back into the driver’s seat? America-Lite ends with a one-point plan.

BREAKING WLS: Hill sources saying likely Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. tried to commit suicide.

Last week, Twitchy reported that the Illinois congressman has been on a leave of absence for the past month under mysterious circumstances. Chicago talk radio station WLS has reported that Jackson in fact attempted suicide.

Twitchy will continue to monitor this story and will provide updates as they come in.

Source: http://twitchy.com/2012/07/10/report-rep-jesse-jackson-jr-attempted-suicide/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

He must be in real trouble.

NAACP Requires Photo I.D. to See Holder Speak in State Being Sued Over Voter ID

Katie Pavlich

7/10/12

Earlier today, Attorney General Eric Holder addressed the NAACP Nation Convention at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas. What did media need in order to attend? That's right, government issued photo identification (and a second form of identification too!), something both Holder and the NAACP stand firmly against when it comes to voting. Holder's DOJ is currently suing Texas for "discriminatory" voter ID laws. From the press release:

All media must present government-issued photo I.D. (such as a driver’s license) as well as valid media credentials. Members of the media must RSVP to receive press credentials at registration. For security purposes, media check-in and equipment set up must be completed by 7:45 a.m. CDT for an 8:00 a.m. CDT security sweep. Once the security sweep is completed, additional media equipment will NOT be permitted to enter and swept equipment will NOT be permitted to exit.

Ironically, NAACP President Ben Jealous railed against voter ID just before Holder took the stage.

(Snip)

Do as I say...not as I do.

NAACP Nation Convention.... LaRaza

I missed Holder's at the OWFFFOC Conference. (Old White Folks From Fly Over Country... Yup, I'm a member!)