Coffee Shop- Open 24/7

Rheo

Lifting a post from Al_Simmons in the Newt thread to here for wider exposure.

Amazing campaign season, and we haven't had one primary yet.

The anyone-but-Romney vote, which is the large majority of the GOP primary electorate, has been oscillating wildly - Bachmann was destined to fade, but she was cute to look at for a few weeks - when Perry came in, many of us sang our Hosannas, only to see that he was actually being truthful when he said that the difference between him an Dubya was that Dubya went to Yale while he (Perry) went to Texas A & M. Yikes! What were we thinking?

Cain, so far, has had the longest run, but he is fading, partly unfairly due to the trumped up Axelrod-dirty-tricks-sex-(non)scandal, but also because as likeable he is - well, anyone else getting the notion that he and his team are a wee bit unprepared?

Which brings us to Newt, who would have been my own favorite a few months ago, except that a. he was only running to sell more books and b. everyone knew he could never win anyway.

Well .... I think all bets are off now. Newt's turn is coming up, and of ALL the candidates out there he is certainly the smartest with a resume of actually having done some good as Speaker and engineer of the 1994 earthquake. Lets just say that his "known good" on balance outweighs his "known bads" - if he could just discipline himself (and his loquacious mouth for 12 months - who knows?

If he can get the anyone-but-Mitt crowd to coalesce, he can win. Whether he can accomplish this with the "midget" candidates taking a point here and a point there, and without the machine and moulah Mitt has - well its an outside shot, but worth it. [As an aside, how much MORE EPIC would his campaign's insane press release of a few months back be if he ACTUALLY CAME BACK TO WIN? If you don't remember, just go to Youtube and search for actor John Lithgow's performance, word-for-word, of the actual press release on Steven Colbet's show.]

Turns out Newt was right about one thing - his unconventional campaign might actually catch fire - for its a nutty, nutty year. They best get their act together and go after BHO soon though. And the pipsqueak candidates ought to ponder that it might be in the nation's best interest to withdraw and "release" their voters to go after a nominee with a chance.

Now - it Newt fails, we'll be left with Mitt. No Reagan he, but given the Marxist-occupied White House, he would be a vast improvement. And we know that Axelrod will (knocks on wood) NOT be able to find anything on him. Plus he can out-debate Obambi and look at ease doing it. We haven't had a GOP candidate with THAT ability since ... ummm ... lessee .... 1984, I believe. I have been singularly impressed at the way he has been able to verbally deflect the criticisms of his past liberal excesses aka "Romneycare".

Wrap-up: Its Newt's turn, the hill is steep, but here it is, his chance for the brass ring at last.

And if he doesn't make it, we still have Mitt. Compared to McCain and Dole and Bush I, that's not a bad final option at all.

That's my take. I'm OUT!

shoutclearvision shoutAl_Simmons

Bottom line for all Republicans: Support your candidate of choice with all your heart during the primary season. But when the final nomination is made, be willing to swallow your pride and support that nominee in ousting Obama. DON'T STAY HOME. That will be a vote for Obama.

WestVirginiaRebel

Good discussion about Pakistan in the latest Republican debate. Santorum says we need too continue to engage friendly elements in Pakistan.

Well done! Mod tried to pit Newt against Mitt. Newt said, nope don't have an opinion on that. Then brought it back to Obama and the results this panel brings to the table.

WestVirginiaRebel

Cain and Bachmann support waterboarding and enhanced interrogation techniques. Paul: It's torture, illegal and impractical. Bachmann tries to respond. Huntsman: We have values. We diminish our standing when we torture. I have to say Huntsman gives a more presidential response here.

Mitt has done well tonight, Cain is good and Newt is awesome.

The others are background noise now. ha.

Crap, they cut the debate off for NCIS. Where is it playing for the next 1/2 hour. Only the CBS online feed that is cutting out so you can't watch it?

:angry:

All of the feeds I have found are cutting off every 8-10 secs. It will be rebroadcast somewhere later probably. Irritating.

So it's not just my system.

This really makes me mad. Why would they agree to a 90 minute debate knowing it would not broadcast the entire time?

Spitting mad.

It is over and I'm still steaming mad.

National Security and foreign policy and they pull this change channel crap.

Major Garrett did well but did not like that other smug dude from CBS.