Coffee Shop

Rheo

Boom! #AskFLOTUS hashtag hijack: Michelle Obama asks for questions; Happy warriors deliver

Bet she didn't answer any of those questions

Boom! #AskFLOTUS hashtag hijack: Michelle Obama asks for questions; Happy warriors deliver

Bet she didn't answer any of those questions

Nadine Elhindi ‏@NadineElhindi

Just so we're clear, 'My Body My Choice' only applies to killing the unborn--not what I eat or drink. Do I have that right? #AskFLOTUS

K King ‏@kmissinglink

#AskFLOTUS will we be seeing any answers to any of the questions put forth to you today on Twitter?

Why Won’t Mary Pat Christie’s Hurricane Sandy Charity Give Out Any Money?

The Sandy relief fund chaired by New Jersey first lady Mary Pat Christie has raised more than $32 million so far. But four months after the superstorm, none of that aid has reached storm victims yet. In an interview, Mary Pat Christie pointed to the logistical challenge of starting a charity from scratch, the relief fund’s focus on addressing long-term recovery needs, instead of short-term relief, and her own “methodical” approach to putting the proper resources and safeguards in place, as reasons for the delay. . .

The Sandy relief fund chaired by New Jersey first lady Mary Pat Christie has raised more than $32 million so far. But four months after the superstorm, none of that aid has reached storm victims yet. In an interview, Mary Pat Christie pointed to the logistical challenge of starting a charity from scratch, the relief fund’s focus on addressing long-term recovery needs, instead of short-term relief, and her own “methodical” approach to putting the proper resources and safeguards in place, as reasons for the delay. . .

I wonder if those waiting for any of that money appreciate her methodical approach to putting the proper resources and safeguards in place. And if they agree that long-term recovery needs should be focused on over short-term relief. dry.png

I wonder if those waiting for any of that money appreciate her methodical approach to putting the proper resources and safeguards in place. And if they agree that long-term recovery needs should be focused on over short-term relief. dry.png

Government in action.

This would not be an issue if a certain Governor had not shot off his big mouth....or hugged Obama.

Pastor Removes Pope's Picture for Fear of Offending LGBT Members

Dr. Susan Berry

11 Mar 2013

Rev. Brian Costello, pastor of Most Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic parish in San Francisco, wrote in his March 3rd church bulletin that he decided to remove a picture of now-Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI in order not to offend members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) community.

Father Costello wrote in his bulletin:

Two weeks ago, after Pope Benedict XVI had announced to the world that he would be resigning the office of Peter as of February 28th, I put the Pope’s picture, that usually hangs in the rectory, in the church. A handful of people told me that they would rather it not be there. They explained that the feeling was while he was Pope, as well as his time as a Cardinal, Pope Benedict had made hurtful and hateful statements regarding the LGBT Community and thus, his picture should not be placed on the altar of MHR [Most Holy Redeemer]. I was also warned, many parishioners would walk out of Sunday Mass if the picture was not removed. I spoke with a close priest friend of mine, and even though both of us were saddened by this, the wisest course, I felt, was to remove the Pope’s picture.

(Snip)

Gay rights advocates have expressed distress over Pope Benedict’s appointment of new Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, an outspoken defender of Catholic teaching on sexuality, to the Archdiocese of San Francisco. Cordileone had arrived from the Diocese of Oakland, where he had been a prominent force behind Proposition 8, the state’s amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

(Snip)

Due to some mailing list I'm on... I received this email today. It's a very thoughtful approach to the subject of guns and gun control.

Southern Conservative Newsletter

To understand the gun debate, one must know how each side comes to understand guns in the first place. As federal and local lawmakers consider new gun restrictions on law-abiding citizens, how do we shape the debate to actually solve problems such as the safety of our children and the reduction of crime – which are the stated purpose of all gun control efforts?

Gun Culture in the South

Growing up in Alabama, everyone I knew had guns, and most had several. Most of these guns were used regularly in the field, forest or on a range. Teenagers had gun racks in the back window of their trucks and brought guns to school on a daily basis. They either had been hunting before school or were going as soon as the final school bell rang. In fact, schools would close on the first day of deer season because there wouldn’t be enough students to hold classes, and most of the teachers and administrators would prefer to be hunting that day too.

So, I grew up in a heavily-armed small, rural community where teenagers brought guns to school daily, and yet I never heard of someone creating violence with a firearm.

Guns were the currency of acceptance in small southern towns. Did you have a Browning or a Remington? 12 gauge or 16? Hey, take a look at the new Lugar pistol I got for Christmas. Without a gun, or at least detailed knowledge of them, you were left out. And from the time you were six and shot your first squirrel with a 4-10 you knew guns were built to kill - and that power was understood and respected.

Gun Culture in the North

In the aftermath of the Newtown devastation and others, the gun control debate is understandably but illogically reactionary. These two understandings of firearms run squarely into both the Constitution AND politicians who are interested in self-preservation over actually solving problems. The result? “Because we don’t want kids to be shot, we’re going to change the number of bullets a gun can hold! Problem solved! We DID something about guns.” Obviously, “solutions” like this make no sense. If someone wants to cause harm with a gun, they are going to do it whether that gun holds five bullets or five hundred. But the effectiveness of proposed solutions don’t matter – only that action was taken.

As southerners who understand and respect guns and the place they hold in a responsible, respectful social environment, we MUST be part of the discussion. If we cross our arms and just say “no” to any discussion of keeping guns away from criminals and the mentally disturbed, then the discussion is dominated by those who fear guns and see them only as a tool for violence and intimidation.

Long prison sentences for those using a gun in a crime, mental health and criminal checks for those wishing to purchase a gun, safety courses - all of these are reasonable ways politicians can reduce criminal use of firearms and protect rights of those who use guns lawfully. We must be the ones to tell them, but we must first understand the nature and thought process of those on the other side of the debate.

Due to some mailing list I'm on... I received this email today. It's a very thoughtful approach to the subject of guns and gun control.

Southern Conservative Newsletter

A quick take, it's not so much North and South, as Left and Right (/Broad Brush).

According to the NRA there are something like 20,000 gun control laws in America, so I am forced to ask just what makes people thing 1-10-20 more will solve this problem?

George H.W. Bush Greeted by Flash Mob

By Eliana Johnson

March 12, 2013

http://youtu.be/p7FA2JlPTzE

Former president George H.W. Bush learned the meaning of the term “flash mob” during a routine visit to the Texas A&M school named in his honor. As he prepared to depart, dozens of students burst into a choreographed dance set to Brooks & Dunn’s “Boot Scootin’ Boogie.” Watch the video above; Bush’s granddaughter, Jenna, explains just what’s happening as he takes things in. CBS News explains how the whole event came about.

• Like 1

GREAT NEWS ALERT!

Obama looking for way to resume White House tours for school groups

Meghashyam Mali

03/13/13

President Obama said his administration was looking at ways to resume White House tours for school groups.

“This was not a decision that went up to the White House,” noted Obama in an ABC News interview aired on Wednesday, saying the directive came from the Secret Service.

(Snip)

The president said that the Secret Service had faced a difficult decision over whether to suspend the tours after sequester cuts took effect.

(Snip)

One can only imagine the agonies The One went through before signing off on canceling WH tours.

Cruse You John Boehner!

Women protest all-male conclave to elect new pope

Mar 12, 2013

SARASOTA (FOX 13)

Demonstrations took place across the United States and internationally to protest the male-only conclave to elect the next pope.

Members of a church in Sarasota sent up their own smoke signals Tuesday -- not black or white, but pink.

They gathered at the St. Andrews UCC Church in Sarasota. The vigil was one of many held on Tuesday around the globe. Not all were so peaceful though: a melee ensued outside the Vatican Tuesday when two female activists who went topless were dragged away from St. Peter's Square.

(Snip)

SIGH

WestVirginiaRebel

Rand Paul: "The GOP Of Old Has Grown Stale And Moss-Covered"

The GOP of old has grown stale and moss-covered. I don't think we need to name any names, do we? Our party is encumbered by an inconsistent approach to freedom. The new GOP will need to embrace liberty in both the economic and the personal sphere. If we're going to have a Republican party that can win, liberty needs to be the backbone of the GOP. We must have a message that is broad, our vision must be broad, and that vision must be based on freedom.

There are millions of Americans, young and old, native and immigrant, black, white and brown, who simply seek to live free, to practice a religion, free to choose where their kids go to school, free to choose their own health care, free to keep the fruits of their labor, free to live without government constantly being on their back. I will stand for them. I will stand for you. I will stand for our prosperity and our freedom, and I ask everyone who values liberty to stand with me. Thank you. God bless America.

gallery_42_26_20225.jpg

Mooch is hitting the newstand on Vogue, the most faked, air brushed picture ever.

But some things are just real.

I Should Have Gone Long on Tinfoil

Pejman Yousefzadeh

3/15/13

It takes a lot to be as crazy and deranged as Hugo Chavez was, but Nicolas Maduro is proving that he is up to the task:

Late Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez may have had a hand in Christ’s decision to opt for a Latin American pope, acting President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday.

(Snip)

“He (Chavez) may also call a constitutional assembly in Heaven at any moment to change the (Catholic) church on earth so the people, the pure people of Christ, may govern the world,” Maduro added of his mentor.

(Snip)