At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary school

Valin

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1220752

More details on the shooter... Asperger’s . Interesting this article says the Mom had not been at the school teaching in years... Very strange.

I thought they said he killed his mom at the school, then saw it was at her house and now she hadn't been teaching for years, strange, we will probably never really know why he did such a horrific thing

This is why I hate the press. This morning the story was that it was the parent of a student. Then it was the shooter brother that was implicated. Then we heard that the shooters father was killed in New Jersey. Then we heard the mother was the kindergarten teacher and among those killed in the school. And that the shooters girlfriend and best friend were missing. Now we find out dad is alive, brother was questioned, nothing about any friends and mom was at home and didn't really have any connection to the school.

I believe that is what we used to call a day completely wasted on gossip. Have I mentioned my disdain and abject hatred of the press?

Would it have harmed any of us to just wait until we had some actual facts?

• Like 1

How TV is covering the Newtown, CT, school massacre: For the most part, badly, inevitably

http://watching-tv.e...cre-sandy-hook/

The horrific event at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, in which school children and adults were murdered and wounded, brought out the full force — the strengths and weaknesses — of TV news reporting.

The problem is the nature of TV news at this moment. There is a compulsion to stay on the story for hours on end, with each network looking at the other, not wanting to become the first to cut away. The result is an endless repetition of the few known facts, surrounded by far too much improvised speculation, and the kind of sentimentality that does not do justice to the victims. There is a parade of experts on child and psychopathic psychology, weapons, and police investigative policy that adds little enlightenment (none of the experts know the people they’re opining about). And, most disgracefully, especially in the early hours of the TV coverage, there were interviews with young children who attend the school. People who are not public figures, or who are too young to know they have the option to remain quiet, should not be made to feel compelled to comment to the media.

Watching TV, we got hours of misinformation about the killer, Adam Lanza, and the entire incident. Early reports had Adam’s brother Ryan as the shooter; there was a “source confirms gunman’s father dead” chyron running beneath at least one news channel’s screen, which proved not true; some TV outlets said the killer’s mother was a teacher at the school, while others said she was not, but “may have been an aide.”

Scissors-32x32.png

I always give a story like this about two hours before I start giving it my full attention. I takes that long for the facts to start being developed. Yesterday I foud a link to the town's police department scanner and heard some of the transmissions that said it was 'no longer an active scene'. Twitter also has better news than some of the networks.

• Like 1