2012 Presidential Election Part 7

Valin

Romney Pressures Obama by Expanding Electoral Map

Michael Barone

11/1/12

As the East Coast recoils from Hurricane Sandy, the political news is of new states suddenly inundated with presidential campaign ads. First Wisconsin, then Pennsylvania, more recently Minnesota. Ann Romney is campaigning in Michigan; Bill Clinton in Minnesota.

All these are states Barack Obama carried by 10 points or more in 2008. Why is the electoral map scrambled this year?

One reason, which I wrote about last week, is that Mitt Romney seems to be running better in affluent suburbs than other recent Republican nominees. That's one reason he made big gains after the first debate in Florida and Virginia -- target states where most votes are cast in relatively affluent suburban counties.

(Snip)

For and Against

Impromptus by Jay Nordlinger

I am voting for Romney and against Obama. (Not that anyone should care, especially. But opinion-giving is part of what I do.) I thought I would list my reasons. I will not list all of them, but some of them — certainly the basics.

I will first say why I will vote for Romney. And then say why I’ll vote against O. Here we go.

(Snip)

I am sending this to a normally clear-thinking friend who told me last week that she would probably leave her vote for pres. blank because she doesn't like either candidate! Excellent post.

• Like 1

For and Against

I am voting for Romney and against Obama. (Not that anyone should care, especially. But opinion-giving is part of what I do.) I thought I would list my reasons. I will not list all of them, but some of them — certainly the basics.

I will first say why I will vote for Romney. And then say why I’ll vote against O. Here we go.

(Snip)

I am sending this to a normally clear-thinking friend who told me last week that she would probably leave her vote for pres. blank because she doesn't like either candidate! Excellent post.

I though so.

For and Against

(Snip)

Well done Jay..........and @Valin!

bamster-vi.jpg

POTUS and TOTUS in Green Bay this morning. He can't do a stump speech w/o the teleprompter? Really???

Thanks, @mozartlover!

Which one is the POTUS.....and which one is the TOTUS? I know which one spouts the prepared pablum that is loaded up & spewed out........but where is the brain located? Offstage?

I hope you're not trying to say Willard is not trustworthy in his opinions. rolleyes.gif

@Valin! I think you meant William.....as in Billy Jeff.....or BJ Clinton. Willard is actually Romney's first name & he is trustworthy.

Benghazi blunder: Obama unworthy commander-in-chief

Editorial, Las Vegas Review Journal.

Can't post from there. It is a good read.

edited to add: thought they had endorsed Obama in 2008. Only in the dem primaries it turns out. They endorsed McCain in the general.

Still a good read.

Benghazi blunder: Obama unworthy commander-in-chief

Editorial, Las Vegas Review Journal.

Can't post from there. It is a good read.

edited to add: thought they had endorsed Obama in 2008. Only in the dem primaries it turns out. They endorsed McCain in the general.

Still a good read.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Las+Vegas+Review+Journal.&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS362US362&oq=Las+Vegas+Review+Journal.&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

Can you believe this thing is almost over? Just four more wake-ups to election day. Then one year of analysis of what happened. Then one year of carping about it. And two more years of the next campaign. And then we are there again.

Can you believe this thing is almost over? Just four more wake-ups to election day. Then one year of analysis of what happened. Then one year of carping about it. And two more years of the next campaign. And then we are there again.

Yep. Sigh

blink.png

blink.png

Could it ever be this bad again?!

blink.png

Could it ever be this bad again?!

Yes....and probably will.

OTOH a little something to remember....we're not in the middle of a civil war where 100's of thousands of men are killing each other. There are not B-52 sitting on 5 minutes alert in the Dakotas waiting for the Russians to attack. And one matter who wins on Tuesday, the bloom is definitely off the Obama Rose.

"Be Not Afraid"

JPII...dead white guy

• Like 1

For what its worth....

Morning Jay: Why Romney Is Likely to Win

JAY COST

6:00 AM, Nov 2, 2012

When I started making election predictions eight years ago, I had a very different perspective than I do today. I knew relatively little about the history of presidential elections or the geography of American politics. I had a good background in political science and statistics. So, unsurprisingly in retrospect, I focused on drawing confidence intervals from poll averages.

Since then, I have learned substantially more history, soured somewhat on political science as an academic discipline, and have become much more skeptical of public opinion polls. Both political science and the political polls too often imply a scientific precision that I no longer think actually exists in American politics. I have slowly learned that politics is a lot more art than science than I once believed.

Accordingly, what follows is a prediction based on my interpretation of the lay of the land. I know others see it differently--and they could very well be right, and I could be wrong.

(Snip)

Unfortunately, Mr. Cost is concentrating on the popular vote.

OK...so let's suppose that Mr. Romney does indeed win the popular vote.

Again, most unfortunately, winning the popular vote does not make a candidate anything - that is, anything other than "popular". And it sure as hell doesn't make the popular vote winner the president of anything!

No....only Electoral College votes count. And in this count, at this time, Mr. Romney is behind. Far behind. And unless something completely unforseen occurs, Mr. Romeny will lose this election to the stain.

And that is a crying shame. It also means the end of the original American dream.

I'm old now; I won't have to suffer much longer. But what of my kids?? And their kids???

And yours???

Don't get discouraged @logicnreason! The press lives in a bubble. They are missing the forest for the trees. This is not 2008. It's not even 2000. They have a vested interest in making assumptions to keep everyone tuning in.

It's no guarantee, but be confident that we will win. Believing we will doesn't guarantee it will happen, but teams who believe they won't win, won't.

four days...clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

• Like 1

Don't get discouraged @logicnreason! The press lives in a bubble. They are missing the forest for the trees. This is not 2008. It's not even 2000. They have a vested interest in making assumptions to keep everyone tuning in.

It's no guarantee, but be confident that we will win. Believing we will doesn't guarantee it will happen, but teams who believe they won't win, won't.

four days...clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

By the way....anyone hear much from the "Tea Party"??

Talk about a movement that has either a) gone completely underground or B) has ceased to be a political force.

Not even FOX mentions them or their possible effect on the upcoming election.

Oh....and just a silly question....

It is now less than 100 hours until Tuesday when the polls open. Does anyone believe there are any voters who - by this time - truly and honestly do not know for whom they will vote on Tuesday?

t1larg_ryan_clapping_august12.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we're not supposed to concern ourselves with things like this, but dang, he's cute.rolleyes.gif.....and he's called me several times this week!!!!

More importantly, he's heading to Minnesota on Sunday; they must think it's in play!!

• Like 4