Coffee Shop

Rheo

Has anyone seen an objective day-by-day timeline comparison of federal response to Katrina and Sandy?

I would think that the publicly decried failure of Katrina looks very similar to what we're seeing today with Sandy.

Krugman's op-ed in the NYT yesterday basically boiled down to... "Katrina impacted black people and Bush hates them...

I could do a point-by-point — and it’s definitely worth it, if you’re curious, to revisit the 2005 Katrina timeline to get a sense of just how bad the response really was. But for me the difference is summed up in two images. One is the nightmare at the New Orleans convention center, where thousands were stranded for days amid inconceivable squalor, an outrage that all of America watched live on TV, but to which top officials seemed oblivious. The other is the scene in flooded Hoboken, with the National Guard moving in the day after the storm struck to deliver food and water and rescue stranded residents.

@Valin I believe that may happen no matter who is president, although with GOP in charge it will remain only higher end. Without Obamacare, places like Krogers and other service and blue collar industries will continue to offer full time positions.

However among more educated and tightly skilled professions, people will more likely be hired for specific projects and "gigs" rather than being on site permanently. Project management, marketing, sales, healthcare, design and other jobs that require specialized tasks--positions that have been in house--will be hired on contract on a project by project basis. As a result of this, several things will happen, but essentially you will hire yourself out through agents similarly to the way Actors work.

The way companies work is shifting significantly. Since labor is now an unbearable cost, look for companies to see employees as commodities that they shop for in a similar way you shop for the best price on supplies and materials.

The world is changing. Fast and big. And it is market, government and technological forces that are spurring that change.

@Valin I believe that may happen no matter who is president, although with GOP in charge it will remain only higher end. Without Obamacare, places like Krogers and other service and blue collar industries will continue to offer full time positions.

However among more educated and tightly skilled professions, people will more likely be hired for specific projects and "gigs" rather than being on site permanently. Project management, marketing, sales, healthcare, design and other jobs that require specialized tasks--positions that have been in house--will be hired on contract on a project by project basis. As a result of this, several things will happen, but essentially you will hire yourself out through agents similarly to the way Actors work.

The way companies work is shifting significantly. Since labor is now an unbearable cost, look for companies to see employees as commodities that they shop for in a similar way you shop for the best price on supplies and materials.

The world is changing. Fast and big. And it is market, government and technological forces that are spurring that change.

At both of the last two places I worked at most of the people were either Temps or Contract Workers (white collar) At Chem Rex there were three permanent and eight temps., at Donaldsons the only reason we didn't have tempt. (in my little corner of the world) was what we did was super duper tippy top secret.

Certainly technological forces are driving the changes, the thing is I don't see government being able to keep up with these changes. I see this as good. Remember "Trends That Cannot Continue...won't".

• Like 1

This has been the case for several years already. The UFCW union has lost concessions from the stores for the last 3-4 contracts. Realistically, there is no way for a new hire to ever go full time, unless the store management wants the employee. [such as nepotism, or skill set that they need] The sad part is that the grocery stores will keep it that way, and insist that the employee make them their first choice, by scheduling hours, or tell them to hit the door. You need 2 jobs to make a living & support a family, but with the way it's set up, you'd have to literally work night & day to make it. There are employee's with 20-30 years of part-time employment that will retire that way.

I agree @Valin. I actually like it because I believe it gives us unprecedented opportunity for personal achievement. There Are stability downsides, but I suspect those will work themselves out.

Feinstein meets w/ATF to plan semi-automatic weapons ban, if Obama is re-elected:

http://onlygunsandmo...t-if-obama.html

Scissors-32x32.png

In today's Shooting Wire, he reports on a meeting that Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legal staff is reported to have had with the FBI and ATF concerning a new assault weapons (sic) ban. Don't have the minutes of the meeting (yet), but sources tell me California Senator and longtime gun-hater Dianne Feinstein's legal staff held meetings on Friday with FTB/ATF legal staff to discuss a new "Assault Weapons Ban" Madame Feinstein would be looking to push through Congress if President Obama wins reelection.

This same "pretty good intelligence" says the items that would lead to a ban would ban pistol grips and "high-capacity" magazines, eliminate any grandfathering and ban sales of "weapons in possession". I don't know about you, but if these things come to pass and I'm "in possession" I'm certainly not selling. In fact, the lack of interest in the idea surprised the California liberal's legal staffers. Apparently, they believe no logical person could possible disagree with them.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't begin (or end) with a rumor, but today and tomorrow aren't exactly ordinary days. Today is the final day before the general election, and in case you haven't noticed there are plenty of significant items on ballots across the nation.

Scissors-32x32.png

From TheFeralIrishman:

clinton_portrait.jpg

Just wanted to make sure I had it right....

From an email:

Bill Clinton was disbarred from practicing law in Arkansas and was also disbarred from practicing law in front of the Supreme Court over the Lewinski incident. He also paid a $25,000.00 fine over the Lewinski incident. He also paid an $850,000.00 settlement over the Lewinski incident. He was also fined $90,000 for giving false testimony in the Paula Jones case.

So Bill Clinton, a disbarred lawyer, a President who was fined for lying under oath, asks the American people to believe him when he says the best thing for the Country is 4 more years of Obama.

Just wanted to make sure I had it right!

Feinstein meets w/ATF to plan semi-automatic weapons ban, if Obama is re-elected:

http://onlygunsandmo...t-if-obama.html

Scissors-32x32.png

In today's Shooting Wire, he reports on a meeting that Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legal staff is reported to have had with the FBI and ATF concerning a new assault weapons (sic) ban. Don't have the minutes of the meeting (yet), but sources tell me California Senator and longtime gun-hater Dianne Feinstein's legal staff held meetings on Friday with FTB/ATF legal staff to discuss a new "Assault Weapons Ban" Madame Feinstein would be looking to push through Congress if President Obama wins reelection.

This same "pretty good intelligence" says the items that would lead to a ban would ban pistol grips and "high-capacity" magazines, eliminate any grandfathering and ban sales of "weapons in possession". I don't know about you, but if these things come to pass and I'm "in possession" I'm certainly not selling. In fact, the lack of interest in the idea surprised the California liberal's legal staffers. Apparently, they believe no logical person could possible disagree with them.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't begin (or end) with a rumor, but today and tomorrow aren't exactly ordinary days. Today is the final day before the general election, and in case you haven't noticed there are plenty of significant items on ballots across the nation.

Scissors-32x32.png

Good Luck With That!

I agree @Valin. I actually like it because I believe it gives us unprecedented opportunity for personal achievement. There Are stability downsides, but I suspect those will work themselves out.

I have to say I have found that there are often very good reasons why Temps. are Temps., if you know what I mean. What happens today is a company will bring in temps, then as needed hire the best. I was a temp. at Donaldsons, and got hired full time because I knew what a Limit Switch was and how to replace it and was willing to work 3rd shift.

• Like 2

@Valin! You'd give them your gun....bullets first? Me too.

When the Brady Bill looked like it was going to pass, a guy I worked with was happy, he'd spent the previous year buying all the AR-15's he could afford. Turned a very nice profit selling them....doubled his money.

Yeah, Christie Hurt

By Rich Lowry

November 5, 2012

My understanding from checking around the last day or two–after emerging from a semi-news blackout last week–is that Christie’s robust embrace of President Obama did break through and help President Obama rebut part of Romney’s closing argument that he can work across the aisle better than the president. Yesterday, the New York Post ran an editorial begging Christie to make a strong show of support for Romney. That kind of show of support might have been particularly important to Romney (and convenient for Christie) in the Philadelphia suburbs. But now it’s too late.

UPDATE: Jon Ward reports on Christie turning down a Romney request to appear at his Philly-area rally.

angry.png

You got some explaining to do Chris.

Yeah, Christie Hurt

By Rich Lowry

November 5, 2012

My understanding from checking around the last day or two–after emerging from a semi-news blackout last week–is that Christie’s robust embrace of President Obama did break through and help President Obama rebut part of Romney’s closing argument that he can work across the aisle better than the president. Yesterday, the New York Post ran an editorial begging Christie to make a strong show of support for Romney. That kind of show of support might have been particularly important to Romney (and convenient for Christie) in the Philadelphia suburbs. But now it’s too late.

UPDATE: Jon Ward reports on Christie turning down a Romney request to appear at his Philly-area rally.

angry.png

I think this is good. Christie is waaaay more moderate than Mitt Romney. He's his own man & in a small [state sized] parochial way, he's good for New Jersey, but despite what Ann Coulter says about him, he is Republican Lite. Mitt moves away from the center, by having him stay away.....and it's good, Mitt asked to have him included, and he declined.

Yeah, Christie Hurt

By Rich Lowry

November 5, 2012

angry.png

I think this is good. Christie is waaaay more moderate than Mitt Romney. He's his own man & in a small [state sized] parochial way, he's good for New Jersey, but despite what Ann Coulter says about him, he is Republican Lite. Mitt moves away from the center, by having him stay away.....and it's good, Mitt asked to have him included, and he declined.

There was a time when I had a real Man Crush on him....now....not so much. He's got some serious explaining to do!

Hillary Clinton to Speak at Award Ceremony for Ambassador Stevens

With numerous questions about the Benghazi attack still unanswered by the administration, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will speak at a Thursday night soiree in honor of slain Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.

Stevens will be posthumously award one of the Common Ground Awards, which are presented annually by Search for Common Ground to honor outstanding accomplishments in conflict resolution, negotiation, community building, and peacebuilding.

Accepting the award on behalf of Ambassador Stevens will be his sister, Anne Stevens.

snip

-----

Search for Common Ground

Founded in 1982, Search for Common Ground works to transform the way the world deals with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and towards collaborative problem solving. We use a multi-faceted approach, employing media initiatives and working with local partners in government and civil society, to find culturally appropriate means to strengthen societies' capacity to deal with conflicts constructively: to understand the differences and act on the commonalities.

Say your prayers tonight and ask that our nation gets back to founding principles tomorrow. And pray that more Ohio-ans come to their senses.

• Like 1