American killed in attack on US Consulate in Libya, security official says, following Egyptian protest at US embassy

WestVirginiaRebel

Even if Obama thought first — or even only — about reelection, how could he have chosen to lie the way he did about Libya?

Ann Althouse

10/11/12

Snip)

Quite aside from the wrongness of lying, generally and specifically, in this case, and quite aside from the motivation to lie — I'm going to presume, without more, it was campaign politics — why did Obama think he could get away with this lie long enough, and why was he not daunted by the risk entailed in going on and on, doubling down on the lie, and even lying in a U.N. speech? How did he have the nerve to co-opt our U.N. ambassador, Susan Rice, and subvert her credibility and honor? How did he get this millstone around the neck of Hillary Clinton, who has such a strong interest in her independent career and who knows a thing or two about the devastation of getting caught lying? (And this lie can't be waved away as as lie "about sex." It's a lie at the very heart of our trust in the President.)

(Snip)

And this inane and unnecessary display of concern for the feelings of Muslims depended on thinking about Muslims as a bunch of idiots and criminals. It wasn't respectful at all to promote this caricature of Muslims as people who look at a stupid video and lose their minds, take to the streets, and work themselves up into a murderous rage. The video story could only work as a cover for the truth if it could be leveraged on an offensive stereotype of Muslims. It is the story about the response to the video — far more the video itself — that has "a deeply cynical purpose, to denigrate a great religion"! Why didn't Obama care that he was insulting Muslims in this weird charade about caring for Muslims?

Why was any of this worth doing, even cynically? Even if you assume Obama put his own reelection first, how could he possibly have selected this lie and thought it was a good idea? Yes, the planned terrorist attack in Libya hurts the image he would like to have as the vanquisher of al Qaeda, but the truth about that has already come out, with 3 weeks left to go before the election. By handling the matter the way he did, we have — on top of the damage to the vanquisher of al Qaeda image — a glaring lie and plain evidence of extremely poor judgment.

KELLY: Libya security cut while Vienna embassy gained Chevy Volts

Examining the State Department’s misplaced green priorities

Rep. Mike Kelly

October 10, 2012

In a May 3, 2012, email, the State Department denied a request by a group of Special Forces assigned to protect the U.S. embassy in Libya to continue their use of a DC- 3 airplane for security operations throughout the country.

The subject line of the email, on which slain Ambassador Chris Stevens was copied, read: “Termination of Tripoli DC-3 Support.”

Four days later, on May 7, the State Department authorized the U.S. embassy in Vienna to purchase a $108,000 electric vehicle charging station for the embassy motor pool’s new Chevrolet Volts. The purchase was a part of the State Department’s “Energy Efficiency Sweep of Europe” initiative, which included hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on green program expenditures at various U.S. Embassies.

(Snip)

Video shows Tunisia's Ghannouchi backing Salafists

TUNIS: The head of Tunisia's ruling Islamist party has advised radical Salafists to behave wisely in order to consolidate their gains over secularists, according to a video posted Wednesday on the Internet.

But Rached Ghannouchi's Ennahda party said the controversial comments he made during a meeting with Salafist youths were taken out of context and dated back to February.

During the meeting Ghannouchi urged Salafists to hold on to what they have gained "with wisdom," as the secularists "could make a comeback after their failure" in last October's elections.

(Snip)

Mother still trying to find out what happened to son in Benghazi

Ted Malave

October 11, 2012

Mother of man killed in the raid on the Benghazi U.S. Consulate is still trying to find out what happened to her son. In an emotional interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Patricia Smith, mother of slain consulate employee Sean Smith, says she is getting no clear answer of what happened to her son the night of September 11th, 2012.

Watch the video here

(Snip)

This was the big surprise for me coming out of the hearings...although I don't know why it should have.

There Is Video of the Benghazi Night Battle

DANIEL HALPER

10/12/12

Eli Lake reports:

Video footage from the United States consulate in Benghazi, Libya, taken the night of the Sept. 11 anniversary attacks, shows an organized group of armed men attacking the compound, according to two U.S. intelligence officials who have seen the footage and are involved in the ongoing investigation. The footage, which was recovered from the site last week by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, offers some of the most tangible evidence yet that a military-style assault took place, according to these officials.

The videos could also play into an expanding investigation by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform that is looking at whether security steps could have been taken that would have saved the life of Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans killed that day. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who is one of the Republicans leading the House investigation, says he hasn’t been given the footage.

(Snip)

Question...how long until it is leaked?

October 12, 2012

White House: Obama & Biden Were Never Aware Of Requests For More Libya Security

During the hearing on Benghazi this week, it was known several requests were made to at least keep the security they had and even more was needed. The requests were denied repeatedly.

Joe Biden, during the debate last night, denied there were security requests. He used the word "we" never knew. Why, especially leading up to the 9/11 anniversary, didn't they know and who is "we"?

I call BS

This video says it all "Question: Doesn't The Buck Stop At The White House On Libya"?

Scissors-32x32.pngH/T to Stable Hand at RedState

BBC: Syria: Rebels 'seize air defence base' near Aleppo

10/12/12

Syrian rebels have taken an air defence base from government forces near the northern city of Aleppo, activists say.

(Snip)

But Wait!

Haaretz: Syrian rebels, jihadists seize regime missile base

10/12/12

Anti-regime activists say jihadist fighters linked to al-Qaida fought with rebels to capture a Syrian military air defense base near Aleppo.

(Snip)

Let's play Spot The Difference.

I have two responses to the Fox News Panel.

First, quit sitting around a desk yakking about doing it right...and do it right. (Edited to add: I used to work for a couple of companies that did this and it drove me nuts there too! :lol:)

Second, if Laura Ingraham was this measured on her radio show, I would listen to her more often. She was direct, without being shrill and I really appreciated that.

Thank for posting @Valin! Off to watch more.

• Like 1

The Mystery of Benghazi

ROSS DOUTHAT

October 13, 2012

TWENTY-FOUR hours after the American compound in Benghazi was attacked and our ambassador murdered, the tragedy seemed more likely to help President Obama’s re-election campaign than to damage it.

The White House already enjoyed more public credibility on foreign policy than on almost any other issue. When Mitt Romney reacted to the attack with a partisan broadside, portraying a news release sent out by the Cairo embassy before any violence began as a White House apology to the attackers, the president’s path forward seemed clear. He would be disciplined and careful, show anger and steel but also coolness under pressure, and let the rally-round-the-flag effect do its natural work.

What happened instead was very strange. Having first repudiated the embassy’s apology to Muslims offended by a movie impugning their prophet, the Obama administration decided to embrace that apology’s premise, and insist that the movie was the crucial ingredient in the Sept. 11 anniversary violence.

(Snip)

First, quit sitting around a desk yakking about doing it right...and do it right. (Edited to add: I used to work for a couple of companies that did this and it drove me nuts there too! :lol:)

Second, if Laura Ingraham was this measured on her radio show, I would listen to her more often. She was direct, without being shrill and I really appreciated that.

Not a big fan of shouters in general and on talk radio in particular, Don't get me wrong I love Rush & Mark Levin, but there are times when I can only take so much. Prefer Bill Bennett, Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt.

First, quit sitting around a desk yakking about doing it right...and do it right. (Edited to add: I used to work for a couple of companies that did this and it drove me nuts there too! laugh.png)

Not a big fan of shouters in general and on talk radio in particular, Don't get me wrong I love Rush & Mark Levin, but there are times when I can only take so much. Prefer Bill Bennett, Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt.

Those are my favorites...with the inclusion of Michael Medved. I'm a huge fan of his as well. I've grown out of the shouting. ;)

@pollyannaish

Medved...I don't know how he puts up with those callers!

Sometimes his debate is so politely devastating it slays me. Plus I love his take on pop culture. Does that make me shallow? Don't answer that! ;)

(CBS News) Below is a transcript of "Face the Nation" on October 14, 2012, hosted by CBS News' Bob Schieffer.
Guests include: Senator Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. A roundtable includes David Corn of Mother Jones magazine, Katrina Vanden Heuvel of The Nation, Bay Buchanan of the Romney campaign, pollster Frank Luntz and CBS News' John Dickerson.

BOB SCHIEFFER: Today on FACE THE NATION, what really happened in Libya? It's been more than a month since the American ambassador in Libya and three other Americans died in an attack on the diplomatic compound there. But it's become the subject of an explosive congressional hearing.

(Snip)

CURL: The lies pile up on Benghazi

By Joseph Curl Sunday, October 14, 2012

The killing of a U.S. ambassador and three other Americans in Libya on the anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks has turned into a massive scandal that threatens to unravel in the final three weeks of the 2012 presidential campaign.

Even the mainstream media, after falling for and parroting the administration’s absurd lie that the Benghazi consulate was attacked after a protest over a short video posted on YouTube in June, seems to be taking notice. The question is whether reporters will follow the trail of lies and deceit or leave off just as the whole mess is imploding.

Last week brought shocking developments. On the eve of a House oversight committee hearing, the State Department called Scissors-32x32.png

They sped through the gates in an armored vehicle Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/14/curl-will-the-press-follow-trail-of-lies-to-bengha/