Primary 2012

Valin

ABC: Rick Santorum Drops Presidential Bid After Bella's Health Worsens

AMY BINGHAM

April 10, 2012

For presidential candidates, there's usually no five-day work week, no holiday vacations, no time for family emergencies and no leeway for personal problems.

Running for president is a 24/7 affair, but when Rick Santorum's 3-year-old daughter, Bella, was taken to the hospital last weekend, the GOP contender made a rare move to take two days off from his arduous campaign schedule to stay by his daughter's side.

Today Santorum announced that he would suspend his presidential campaign in part to spend more time with Bella, who has the rare, and nearly always fatal, genetic chromosomal disorder Trisomy 18.

(Snip)

WestVirginiaRebel

Rolly: Newt Gingrich stiffs Utah

Utah Elections Director Mark Thomas said a designated agent for the Gingrich campaign brought the filing papers and a check for $500 in March, but the state was notified by the bank that the check had bounced. He said the office has tried to contact the Gingrich campaign through the telephone number and email provided on the application, but has not received a response.

Recently, the state sent a certified letter to the campaign, stating that if the fee isn’t paid by April 20, Gingrich will be disqualified and will not be on the ballot.

We're All in Trouble

Quin Hillyer

(Snip)

Nonetheless, every conservative, and everybody who loves this country and cares about its traditions, its Constitution, and its freedom, should do nothing other than help that establishment succeed in this election. Objectively speaking, almost any analyst would say that from the standpoint of a conservative of conscience and a lover of liberty as conservatives understand it, Romney certainly should appear a better choice than Obama -- by an almost astronomical degree. Conservatives would do far better for themselves to hold their noses and work hard for Romney than they would if they stood back, stayed home, and watched the forces of Big Government complete their extreme makeover of American society.

(Snip)

A bold insightful analysis of why Mitt is the one....or something.

pollyannaish

Seriously, their first attack is on Ann Romney for not "working"?

The thing that shocks me is how incredibly clumsy and transparent that is. Ann is a stay at home mom, so she must sit around and eat bon bons all day and women will hate her and vote for Obama.

It's ironic coming from an administration that on average pays women $10K a year less and has a laughably diversity-challenged reelection team.

Oh well. Just the opening salvo I guess. It's gonna get harder, but this really surprised me. I am glad to be turning to fight the Obama Admin now. Bring it on.

Ann is a stay at home mom, so she must sit around and eat bon bons all day and women will hate her and vote for Obama.

It's a tough job but somebody has got to do it...

6a0120a66c8606970b0133f22da8a3970b-.jpg

Seriously... this really set me off!

You can imagine the reaction of S.A.H.M. Righteousmomma this morning. blink.png

• Like 1

The thing that shocks me is how incredibly clumsy and transparent that is. Ann is a stay at home mom, so she must sit around and eat bon bons all day and women will hate her and vote for Obama.

It's ironic coming from an administration that on average pays women $10K a year less and has a laughably diversity-challenged reelection team.

Oh well. Just the opening salvo I guess. It's gonna get harder, but this really surprised me. I am glad to be turning to fight the Obama Admin now. Bring it on.

Get used to being outraged, we are seeing the opening salvo of the Obama campaign.

I have always hated that question "Do you work?"

My response to that question is always...Tried that work once, it's not for me. Oh sure 10-15 minutes a month is good for you....but anything more than that is a little excessive I think.

• Like 1

pollyannaish

@Valin You are right.

It's the stupidity of it that especially offends me. With all that is available...they open with that. I like to be impressed with my opponents.

I'm sure they are saving the rest for later...

• Like 1

I like to be impressed with my opponents.

Standby to be disappointed with the Obamaphiles.

Michelle-Obama.jpeg Vs. Sarah-Palin-hunting.jpg

Eric_Holder.jpg Vs. westImage2.jpg

Lets just say I am...less than impressed with the opposition.

The DNC is now saying conservatives are attacking Rosen because she is a lesbian mother.

These people are nuts.

Stupid thing for them to bring up, I had 5 children and yes there is a lot of work, just because she never worked outside the home is stupid to whine about

The DNC is now saying conservatives are attacking Rosen because she is a lesbian mother.

These people are nuts.

Is that a trick question? biggrin.png

These people are nuts.

Is that a trick question? biggrin.png

Then and Now

Bill McGurn

To follow up on Mollie, as well as some of the comments in her thread, here in one place are a few related items dealing with Democratic attitudes toward women, work, and family. It's interesting that though these people would all tell you women have the right to make their own choices, they don't do much to hide their disdain for the choices women such as Ann Romney or Laura Bush or Barbara Bush have made.

Here's the original Hillary:

(Snip)

And finally, remember the furor at Wellesley in 1990 after a group of 150 students had protested the selection of First Lady Barbara Bush for commencement speaker, arguing that she was somehow beneath them? Here's the relevant objection from their letter of protest:

''Wellesley teaches that we will be rewarded on the basis of our own merit, not on that of a spouse. To honor Barbara Bush as a commencement speaker is to honor a woman who has gained recognition through the achievements of her husband, which contravenes what we have been taught over the last four years at Wellesley.''

And here's how the lady dealt with it:

In 2008, Rosen derided Republican attacks against Michelle Obama as an example as “stupid strategy.”

“You know essentially, you’ve taken on sort of the most sympathetic person in the candidate’s realm, the wife, who is taking care of the children, supporting the husband, doing everything she can because she loves him,” Rosen said on Anderson Cooper 360 according to a CNN transcript from May 19, 2008.

Update: Hilary Rosen is out with a new statement:

“Let’s put the faux ‘war against stay at home moms’ to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his poor record on the plight of women’s financial struggles...

“As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let’s declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.”

Update: Hilary Rosen is out with a new statement:

“Let’s put the faux ‘war against stay at home moms’ to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his poor record on the plight of women’s financial struggles...

“As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let’s declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance.”

Spin.jpg