State of the Union

Rheo

Behind the Scenes: Sneak Preview of State of the Union Speech

Hoping to build up some excitement for the president’s speech – and provide TV networks and cable channels footage so irresistible its propaganda value is discounted – the White House today released a behind-the-scenes video showing President Obama working on his speech.

snip See link for video

The video features speechwriters Jon Favreau and Cody Keenan in the Oval Office, talking with the president, it shows close-ups of the president’s hand-written edits on the page, and moments with Favreau, Keenan and assorted top White House aides. It offers an explanation by an assistant speechwriter of the Lenny Skutniks* in the gallery….

It’s very “West Wing” in a West Wing “West Wing” way.

-Jake Tapper

*In January 1982, Martin Leonard “Lenny” Skutnik III dove into the Potomac River to save the life of a passenger of Air Florida Flight 90, which had crashed. President Ronald Reagan mentioned Skutnik in the State of the Union address, and gave him a seat of honor in the gallery during the speech. From then on, those Americans picked for that honor have been called “Lenny Skutniks.” Last year, for example, the college student credited with helping to save the life of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Daniel Hernandez, was one of President Obama’s Lenny Skutniks.

Leaked: Obama's SOTU Talking Points

President Obama is making a key leg of his re-election and Tuesday's State of the Union address a new focus on "American Values," according to talking points provided to Whispers.

"Most importantly, the president will call for a return to American Values—of fairness for all, and responsibility from all," say the talking points. [see 3 things missing from Obama's campaign.]

Here are the key points of tonight's speech, according to the White House:snip

Mine must have gotten lost in the mail ;)

Along with mine.

Posted a link up thread that lists all the guests and I do not see any members of TRR listed. :o

I'm more interested in Mitch Daniels giving the rebuttal. Still wish he would have run.

I'm assuming Mr.n. will watch and can call me when Mitch Daniels comes on.

Along with mine.

Posted a link up thread that lists all the guests and I do not see any members of TRR listed. :o

Even if any had been invited, who would go?!

I'll miss this one, but I wouldn't watch it if I could. I don't even think I watched Bush's last couple. I really don't know why this is still done other than to fill some legal requirement. They aren't effective pep rallies because half the audience is cheering for the other team. Hopefully, viewership of tonight's event will be the lowest ever. At least then, Obama can lay claim to another record.

Along with mine.

Even if any had been invited, who would go?!

I know I couldn't. I would be shouting Liar!!!!

I'll miss this one, but I wouldn't watch it if I could. I don't even think I watched Bush's last couple. I really don't know why this is still done other than to fill some legal requirement. They aren't effective pep rallies because half the audience is cheering for the other team. Hopefully, viewership of tonight's event will be the lowest ever. At least then, Obama can lay claim to another record.

I am hoping a lot will boycott this travesty - I am referring to congress (not viewers)

But But It's OBAMA and he has A PLAN And it's going to be a great one. Don't you want to kneel and watch as history is being made? I hear he's going to levitate down the aisle...showering his blessings.

Of coursed I could be wrong and it'll be just another hack speech full of meaningless phrases designed to make the zombies vote to reelect him.

I am hoping a lot will boycott this travesty - I am referring to congress (not viewers)

Hey if we have to watch, why should they get off the hook! Equal justice.

But But It's OBAMA and he has A PLAN And it's going to be a great one. Don't you want to kneel and watch as history is being made? I hear he's going to levitate down the aisle...showering his blessings.

Of coursed I could be wrong and it'll be just another hack speech full of meaningless phrases designed to make the zombies vote to reelect him.

Would seriously LOVE a Teleprompter failure.. LONG one so he is forced to talk or look like the fool that he is

Would seriously LOVE a Teleprompter failure.. LONG one so he is forced to talk or look like the fool that he is

He probably has the media on standby to go to black should that happen. Then, blame the network for blacking him out.

ha.

philipaklein Philip Klein

Obama is to call for an America that "insists on responsibility from everybody.” Ok. How about we start with Eric Holder?

He probably has the media on standby to go to black should that happen. Then, blame the network for blacking him out.

You mean he doesn't speak off the cuff?

ha.

philipaklein Philip Klein

Obama is to call for an America that "insists on responsibility from everybody.” Ok. How about we start with Eric Holder?

RACIST :D