Primary 2012

Rheo

Ricochet: Mitt and Newt: Equally Unpopular?

Ben Domenech

The piece is good, but from the comments

"Pseudodionysius

Ben,

I'll sum it up in one observation on a Canadian friend of mine who walked into a room when the debate was on tv. He doesn't follow US politics at all and is a financial exec. 1 minute of Mitt elicited this response:

"Mutual fund salesman."

Ouch."

If I may, What I think is going on. (and for the record I am a Newt guy so....) a series of videos

Set Up

Rush Yesterday

Ann Coulter makes Rush's point, We'er a bunch of rubes

Mitt could end up under the bus

Point is the leadership of the party don't think "The One" can be beat. If Rush is right, they are more interested in keeping their power and if it means we have a rerun of 08...oh well.

Well that's my take on it....today

See the above post

Draft Jeb Bush

A charismatic and accomplished governor can save the Republican party.

By Artur Davis

(Snip)Second, Bush would have a pathway to victory in November. His brand of reform-oriented conservatism might actually be his party’s only pathway: Unlike Romney, whose leadership of Massachusetts produced one signature achievement — a hodgepodge of a health-care law that he likely wishes he could take back — Bush’s legacy is an issue that Republicans ought to own but are ignoring, education reform. He also turned Florida into a national laboratory for controlling health-care costs and reining in medical tort liability, both soft spots in Obama’s record.(Snip)

The answer to a maidens prayer, or the designated fall guy?

See the above post

Draft Jeb Bush

By Artur Davis

(Snip)Second, Bush would have a pathway to victory in November. His brand of reform-oriented conservatism might actually be his party’s only pathway: Unlike Romney, whose leadership of Massachusetts produced one signature achievement — a hodgepodge of a health-care law that he likely wishes he could take back — Bush’s legacy is an issue that Republicans ought to own but are ignoring, education reform. He also turned Florida into a national laboratory for controlling health-care costs and reining in medical tort liability, both soft spots in Obama’s record.(Snip)

I lived in Florida during Jeb Bush's tenure there as governor... and he was indeed a good one. He would be a good candidate, a good campaigner and, IMO, a good president. He is a better speaker, thinker and doer than either his dad or his brother... and more conservative than either one.

But I don't think he will run.

See the above post

Draft Jeb Bush

By Artur Davis

I recall reading that the plan was for Jeb to run for President not George W.

I lived in Florida during Jeb Bush's tenure there as governor... and he was indeed a good one. He would be a good candidate, a good campaigner and, IMO, a good president. He is a better speaker, thinker and doer than either his dad or his brother... and more conservative than either one.

See the above post

Draft Jeb Bush

By Artur Davis

Too bad he can't change his last name....

Palm Beach Post: Gingrich draws thousands in Fla. while Romney's, Santorum's crowds number in hundreds

Andrew Abramson, Jane Musgrave and George Bennett

Jan. 25, 2012

If former Florida frontrunner Mitt Romney hoped Newt Gingrich's rise in popularity was a temporary blip, Gingrich's campaign appeared to prove otherwise Tuesday as it drew crowds estimated at 4,000 in Sarasota and 6,000 in Naples.

The size of the early afternoon rally at a hangar at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport surprised even Gingrich. "When they told me how big the crowd was, I was stunned," he said.

(Snip)

Re the Nancy Pelosi claim she knows something about Newt, Twitter has a new thread:

What Nancy Knows

There may be something there, but I believe if it was so bad A. Newt would know it and so would not have run. B. Someone else would also know it, and it would be out there. C. Given all the warts we know about Newt, what is it,.....caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl?

Re the Nancy Pelosi claim she knows something about Newt, Twitter has a new thread:

What Nancy Knows

:lol: some pretty creative people!

Legal Insurrection: Nancy Pelosi’s evil mind games (Update: Pelosi backs off)

William A. Jacobson

January 25, 2012

(Snip)

Update: Newt to Pelosi – ‘Put up or shut up…bring it on’

“I have a simple challenge for Speaker Pelosi…you know, put up or shut up. I mean, I have no idea what she’s talking about. I don’t think she has any idea what she’s talking about, but bring it on,” he said.

(Snip)

Update No. 2: Pelosi backs off, Pelosi’s office says she has no new dirt on ex-Speaker Newt Gingrich:

”The ‘something’ Leader Pelosi knows is that Newt Gingrich will not be President of the United States. She made that clear last night,” Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said in a statement….

(Snip)

National Review Online

Campaign Spot

When Gingrich Tried, and Failed, to Intimidate Tom Coburn

Jim Geraghty

snip

Coburn offers this easily forgotten, but quite revealing, anecdote about a fight over increasing funding for House committees. The following is from Breach of Trust, pp. 73–76:

Leadership said the increase was necessary to give Dan Burton (R-Indiana), chairman of the Government Reform and Oversight Committee, the extra money he needed to continue his investigation into the White House’s campaign abuses. They also talked about how important oversight is and how the little we spend on oversight saves the taxpayers billions. This argument wasn’t terribly persuasive. First, oversight is a good investment only if the majority party has the political will to cut waste from the budget, which we weren’t doing. Second we knew the real need that triggered this spending binge had more to do with partisan politics than doing the hard work of scouring federal agencies for fraud and waste. Gingrich was convinced he could make political hay out of someone else’s miscues and became focused on Clinton rather than the job we promised the country we would do. Burton’s investigation into the White House campaign abuses was an appropriate, necessary, and essential function of his committee. Yet it was the right policy that was being pursued for the wrong reasons. Leadership was so obsessed with the political dimension of Burton’s investigation they lacked the focus and discipline to make an exception to increase spending for Burton alone while slamming the vault door on other chairmen . . .

The rule failed 210 to 213 . . . A few minutes later, the whip’s office announced a mandatory meeting of the conference at 7 p.m. A few of us met in [Lindsey] Graham’s office before the meeting to prepare ourselves for what we expected to be the ultimate woodshed experience. After a short pep rally, we walked over to HC-5, the room where Republicans and Democrats hold their caucuses.

When we filed in, it was immediately obvious that Newt Gingrich was furious. The meeting began with a roll call, and Gingrich said every Republican would be meeting in HC-5 in the basement of the Capitol even if he had to send the sergeant at arms — the police — to track members down…

When Gingrich said, “The eleven geniuses who thought they knew more than the rest of the Congress are going to come up and explain their votes,” someone leaned over to [then-Rep.] Mark Sanford and said, “I have never heard of anyone having to explain their vote.” Gingrich continued, “Those of you who had planned to go to John Kasich’s wedding on Saturday are not going. No one is going anywhere until we get the votes we need to pass this rule.”

. . . [steve] Largent, an NFL Hall of Famer, went straight to the podium after [Dick] Armey finished speaking. A surprised Boehner recognized him. “Mr. Speaker,” Largent said calmly and directly to Gingrich who was no more than ten feet away, “I am not intimidated. I have been in rooms much smaller than this one when I was on the opposite side of teammates during a player’s strike against the NFL. The guys in those rooms weighed 280, 320 pounds and not only wanted to kill me, if they had gotten hold of me they probably could have. This isn’t the case here tonight. More seriously, I am not intimidated because I feel good about this vote and the principles behind it . . . if, as a matter of conscience, I believe a vote is in the best interest of the American taxpayer I represent back home, well, then I just have to vote that way.” . . .

“Many of us were elected in 1994, and before that election we signed a document called the Contract with America. One of its pledges was to cut Washington committee funding by one third. We kept our word and did just that. Yet this proposal would reverse that cut. We owe it to those same folks to whom we pledged our word to either keep it, or go back to them and say, we’re new to the business of government. We cut too much and need to change our committee staffing numbers. Whatever we do, we shouldn’t do what was proposed today, which typified the Washington way of doing business so many came here to change — take credit for cutting by a third and then below the radar screen quietly add back the spending.” . . .

Then I got up and said, “I’m just a doctor from Oklahoma. I admit I’m not much of a politician, but I know the difference between right and wrong. When you tell people you’re going to lead by example, then turn around and increase our own budgets, but ask them to make cuts, you lose all credibility. Maybe I don’t belong in the Republican conference, Mr. Speaker.”

Every one of the eleven members who voted against the rule said something and no one backed down or apologized for their vote. We believed we were doing the right thing, leaving no place for apologies. Gingrich’s tactic backfired. He thought he could embarrass and intimidate us, but not one person was intimidated . . .

The event exposed a more disturbing trend that we all understood but weren’t ready to accept: the Republican “team” was no longer being held together by principles but by careerism and the desire for power for its own sake . . . Gingrich’s vitriolic response to us bringing down the rule for the bill confirmed to us he was willing to trade our principles for short term political advantage over the Democrats.

Now we know why Tom Coburn won't support Newt.

Edited by saveliberty

Hit and run post... looks like a good day to not have enough time to read the news. Night flying might be the best thing that could happen for my mental health.

Santorum does hate gays, except he calls them sodomites. His stance on homosexuals is what cost him his re-election to the Senate. I disturbs me that he would try to foist his religious beliefs on others. I probably share the same beliefs, but am comfortable enough with myself that I don't feel the need to tell others what they can engage in behind closed doors.

What disturbs me most about him, though, is that he has expressed the belief that the Federal government has the right to regulate what he calls "unacceptable sexual behavior". While he was targeting gays in particular, such a broad statement could be far reaching when it comes to even the experimenting that married couples do privately, behind their own locked doors.

I like his stance on many issues, and dislike him for more reasons than this. But, his stance on insinuating his own conventions toward sexual behavior is dangerous, IMOHO.

Send Us Newt

The arguments against Gingrich are not compelling

Melissa O’Sullivan

Last fall, people in Washington told me, “Get over it, Melissa. Newt’s not going to be the nominee.” Later, in New York City over Thanksgiving, I was told, “Get over it, Melissa. It’s going to be Romney. There’s still so much stuff out there on Newt that’s just waiting to drop.”

Well, here we are in the thick of the race, and I’m still not over it.

Many years ago, I spent a frustrating morning trying to ice skate when it hit me: I wasn’t trying to ice skate; I was trying not to fall. I submit that the Republican establishment is repeating my mistake. They are trying not to fall by endorsing — or at least accepting — the supposed safe bet. It is reminiscent of an encounter I had with some editorial types during another presidential-primary season.

(Snip)

Now, Newt is a great debater. He has not failed to deliver in any debate I have seen. More important to me, however, is that as president he’ll hit the ground running on Day One. He is firmly grounded in the kind of knowledge someone acquires by spending the better part of 30 years studying and advocating various public policies. More than that, though, he possesses the contextual knowledge — the historian’s perspective — that enables someone to stand back and draw on past events to understand current crises. And that gives him a larger philosophical understanding of our past, present, and future role in world affairs. He’s not wandering in the dark; he knows where he wants this country to go and — just as important — where he doesn’t.

(Snip)

What disturbs me most about him, though, is that he has expressed the belief that the Federal government has the right to regulate what he calls "unacceptable sexual behavior". While he was targeting gays in particular, such a broad statement could be far reaching when it comes to even the experimenting that married couples do privately, behind their own locked doors.

Incest Polygamy? From this it gets really....interesting. I mean there are some really sick people out there. It goes without saying any law can and has been abused, but does that mean government should not have a say in this?

This leads to just what is the role of government, and what are the limits. One of the reasons I am not a Libertarian, they go too far.

I would also ask when criticizing something became hate speech?

NRO POLL

Would you welcome Daniels or Bush getting in the race?

Yes...... 58 %

No.....42 %

19,136 votes

For the record I voted no.

Reason being, if they were to get in now, it would be seen as an attempt by the *GOP establishment to shove a candidate down our throat.

If electability is an important issue to you (and it should be) then I don't see how bringing in another candidate at this late date, would doom the party to a 1964 type of defeat.

The candidates we have, are the candidates we have. To quote Don Rumsfeld, "You go to war with the army you have."