Primary 2012

Rheo

WSJ: The Gingrich Challenge

A test for Romney, GOP officials, and the former speaker himself.

1/23/21

Newt Gingrich's sweeping victory in South Carolina throws the GOP Presidential contest into a useful uproar and poses a challenge for Mitt Romney, what's left of the Republican establishment, and not least for Mr. Gingrich himself. We'll see who rises to the occasion.

(Snip)

As for the GOP establishment, such as it still is, Mr. Gingrich's re-emergence is likely to cause a panic attack. They don't believe he is electable. Our advice would be to relax and let the voters decide. If Mr. Romney can't marshal the wit and nerve to defeat the speaker, then he isn't likely to defeat Mr. Obama.

If GOP office-holders had a better candidate, they should have rallied behind one to get into the race, and they still could if the primary contest drags on without a clear winner. In any case the record of elected GOP politicians in picking nominees is hardly inspiring. Rank-and-file voters are likely to have a clearer sense of what the country needs. On to Florida.

That is what started the Tea Party. At what point is the GOP establishment going to realize that rank and file members aren't pleased with what its been doing? I think one of the things helping Gingrich is that elected GOP politicians (and unelected pundits and chattering class) don't like him. At this point, that becomes a plus.

Romney couldn't beat McCain in 2008. McCain couldn't beat Obama. Since then, Obama has inflicted a lot of damage on himself. But has Romney done anything new since 2008? I actually think McCain would have a better chance than Romney of defeating Obama in 2012. I like Romney more than I like McCain. But if they were my only two choices, I'd probably vote for McCain. Actually, unless he picked Palin again, I'd probably just move to the middle of Idaho and cut myself off from the world until 2022.

Sounds like you've listening to Rush.

H/T to Rush

News Max: Romney Campaign Run by Charlie Crist’s Political Aides

Andrew Henry

Monday, 23 Jan 2012

As Mitt Romney puts the South Carolina primary in his rear-view mirror and hits the accelerator in a bid to win Florida, he may discover himself crashing headlong into the bitter legacy of Charlie Crist, the former Florida governor who defected from the GOP and was soundly defeated for the U.S. Senate by Marco Rubio.

Romney’s “Charlie Crist” problem is this: Romney’s chief campaign strategist and several of his most senior campaign staff were Crist’s top political advisers — the same ones who crafted Crist’s moderate, ignore-the-tea-party strategy epitomized in Crist’s famous “hug” of President Barack Obama. That strategy led Crist, once the most popular Republican governor in the nation, to defeat.

Crist’s erstwhile political team was led by controversial GOP strategist Stuart Stevens. Stevens and partner Russ Schriefer are the principals in the high-profile Stevens & Schriefer Group consultant firm and are playing the lead role in crafting Romney’s primary and national campaign strategy.

According to the Stevens & Schriefer website, the firm had a long history with Crist, serving as chief strategists for his bids for education commissioner, attorney general, governor, and later for the U.S. Senate.

(Snip)

It is becoming clearer.

This is not going to help Mitt in Fla.

That is what started the Tea Party. At what point is the GOP establishment going to realize that rank and file members aren't pleased with what its been doing? I think one of the things helping Gingrich is that elected GOP politicians (and unelected pundits and chattering class) don't like him. At this point, that becomes a plus.

Romney couldn't beat McCain in 2008. McCain couldn't beat Obama. Since then, Obama has inflicted a lot of damage on himself. But has Romney done anything new since 2008? I actually think McCain would have a better chance than Romney of defeating Obama in 2012. I like Romney more than I like McCain. But if they were my only two choices, I'd probably vote for McCain. Actually, unless he picked Palin again, I'd probably just move to the middle of Idaho and cut myself off from the world until 2022.

Unfortunately, no. What's his take on what happened in SC?

Unfortunately, no. What's his take on what happened in SC?

Short answer...the vote for Newt was a vote against the GOP establishment. They think Obama will win and are concerned about the House and Senate.

3 states, 3 victors: Now what for Republicans?

The historical record will show that ex-House Speaker Newt Gingrich soundly pounded former Gov. Mitt Romney in Saturday's South Carolina Republican primary, always expected to be the governor's weak spot.

(Snip)

But to put it another way, Romney lost South Carolina more than Gingrich won it. Ten days out, the New Hampshire winner, who walloped Gingrich by 30 points there, was still ahead Down South by 10 points.

(Snip)

But here are worse whiffs: In his five years of virtually non-stop organizing, fundraising and campaigning, how could Romney have missed the palpable fear and now the mounting anger of so many millions, who spawned the tea party and have since moved so far beyond it?

(Snip)

Newt Gingrich who's lived by the Beltway since Carter came and went, for Jimmy's sake. Gingrich the paid Fannie lobbyist. The Pelosi pal. The speaker ousted by his own GOP caucus. The guy campaigning to lead the party of the American family who's been married more often -- and more sordidly -- than Brad Pitt.

(Snip)

Speaking of which, there's a debate in Florida tonight. But already nearly a quarter-million Floridians have voted in the Jan. 31 primary, likely giving Romney a good lead before his current troubles, and time to get tougher.

I notice there are two candidates not mentioned in this article.

'Limited edition' of Ron Paul action figure is now available :rolleyes:

It’s not a bird...or a plane...it’s Rep. Ron Paul — in action figure form!

That’s right, the Texas congressman and GOP presidential candidate now has his own bad guy butt-kickin' doll.

The Ron Paul Revolution PAC, unveiled two 12-inch, talking, limited edition figures on Saturday. The “Commander-in-Chief” Paul wears a traditional suit as he holds a mini copy of the U.S. Constitution. The “Super Hero” Paul dons a white cape and blue boots, with “RP” emblazoned across his chest.

No word on what either of the talking action figures say.snip

ronpaulactionfigure1.jpg

'Limited edition' of Ron Paul action figure is now available :rolleyes:

It’s not a bird...or a plane...it’s Rep. Ron Paul — in action figure form!

That’s right, the Texas congressman and GOP presidential candidate now has his own bad guy butt-kickin' doll.

The Ron Paul Revolution PAC, unveiled two 12-inch, talking, limited edition figures on Saturday. The “Commander-in-Chief” Paul wears a traditional suit as he holds a mini copy of the U.S. Constitution. The “Super Hero” Paul dons a white cape and blue boots, with “RP” emblazoned across his chest.

No word on what either of the talking action figures say.snip

ronpaulactionfigure1.jpg

Does it have the Kung Fu Action grip?

The Caucus: Romney Adds a Top Debate Coach

MICHAEL D. SHEAR

1/23/12

TAMPA, Fla. — With another potentially crucial debate on Monday night, Mitt Romney has apparently recruited a top debate coach to help out.

Brett O’Donnell, who served as one of Michele Bachmann’s top strategists, was standing quietly at the back of the room Monday morning as Mr. Romney held his first event, a round table with Florida residents and small-business owners.

He quietly slipped out again with other top advisers to Mr. Romney, who is holding debate prep sessions in the Sheraton hotel where the morning event took place.

(Snip)

Hot Air: New Romney Florida ad: You don’t really want to nominate a disgraced Freddie Mac shill, do you?

Allahpundit

1/23/12

I understand why he’d want to hit Newt hard on Freddie in Florida, which has taken a beating from the housing downturn. What I don’t understand is what he’ll say when Newt reminds the world tonight that Mitt put more than $250,000 in mutual funds that invested in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, among other government entities. Romney will come prepared with some sort of spin, but I think details are almost meaningless to most voters with tu quoques like this, especially with a candidate like Mitt who’s already perceived as two-faced. (Why is a guy who’s famously worth nine figures calling on anyone to give back some of their earnings, anyway? Terrible optics.) The takeaway will be Newt telling Mitt that his hands are dirty too and therefore he’s in no position to judge, and that’ll be that.

Question: If, like me, you’re clinging to the vaporous hope of a late entrant and/or brokered convention, how should you be rooting in Florida? For Newt, right? If Romney holds off Gingrich there, he’s back on track for the nomination, even if the slog will be longer than he first expected. If Gingrich upsets Romney, establishment Republicans will wet themselves in terror at the thought of an allegedly unelectable candidate becoming the nominee and will scramble to head Newt off. Maybe that means pushing someone new into the race or maybe it means propping the two of them up in various ways so that delegates split three ways between them and Ron Paul and no one has a majority at the convention. The Mitch Daniels fans are pleading with him again to reconsider,.....(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63n6N11mrO4

Well so much for the Florida race not going negative. It was a nice dream while it lasted....all of 1 day

I just don't see this helping Romney.

Romney drops focus on Obama, turns to attacking Gingrich as Florida looms

Just five days ago, Mitt Romney said if he could do one thing over about his campaign, he would spend less time attacking his opponents and more time talking about President Barack Obama.

"I would go back and take every moment I spent talking about one of the guys on the stage and spent that time talking about Barack Obama," Romney said Thursday at a presidential debate sponsored by CNN. "The right course for America is to return to our fundamental principles, and I would be talking about that more, and probably about my colleagues less--because frankly, any one of them would be a better president than the one we've got."

That was before Romney lost by double-digits to Newt Gingrich in South Carolina. Over the last 48 hours, Romney has gone from barely mentioning his rivals on the stump or in news interviews to launching an all-out assault on Gingrich, portraying him as an erratic and unethical leader who would be dangerous for the party.

snip

I like this comment in the article's comments section...

"will not really matter who is president until congress is plowed under and reseeded"

I just don't see this helping Romney.

Romney drops focus on Obama, turns to attacking Gingrich as Florida looms

Just five days ago, Mitt Romney said if he could do one thing over about his campaign, he would spend less time attacking his opponents and more time talking about President Barack Obama.

"I would go back and take every moment I spent talking about one of the guys on the stage and spent that time talking about Barack Obama," Romney said Thursday at a presidential debate sponsored by CNN. "The right course for America is to return to our fundamental principles, and I would be talking about that more, and probably about my colleagues less--because frankly, any one of them would be a better president than the one we've got."

Romney goes negative...what a shock.

He really is turning me off.

I like this comment in the article's comments section...

"will not really matter who is president until congress is plowed under and reseeded"

That is key.

Hot Air: New Romney Florida ad: You don’t really want to nominate a disgraced Freddie Mac shill, do you?

Allahpundit

1/23/12

I understand why he’d want to hit Newt hard on Freddie in Florida, which has taken a beating from the housing downturn. What I don’t understand is what he’ll say when Newt reminds the world tonight that Mitt put more than $250,000 in mutual funds that invested in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, among other government entities. Romney will come prepared with some sort of spin, but I think details are almost meaningless to most voters with tu quoques like this, especially with a candidate like Mitt who’s already perceived as two-faced. (Why is a guy who’s famously worth nine figures calling on anyone to give back some of their earnings, anyway? Terrible optics.) The takeaway will be Newt telling Mitt that his hands are dirty too and therefore he’s in no position to judge, and that’ll be that.

Question: If, like me, you’re clinging to the vaporous hope of a late entrant and/or brokered convention, how should you be rooting in Florida? For Newt, right? If Romney holds off Gingrich there, he’s back on track for the nomination, even if the slog will be longer than he first expected. If Gingrich upsets Romney, establishment Republicans will wet themselves in terror at the thought of an allegedly unelectable candidate becoming the nominee and will scramble to head Newt off. Maybe that means pushing someone new into the race or maybe it means propping the two of them up in various ways so that delegates split three ways between them and Ron Paul and no one has a majority at the convention. The Mitch Daniels fans are pleading with him again to reconsider,.....(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63n6N11mrO4

Well so much for the Florida race not going negative. It was a nice dream while it lasted....all of 1 day

Mitt already had this blow up in his face once.....you'd think he'd learn.

Why Gingrich can rely on Democrats to pay for his campaign in Florida

Ed Lasky

1/23/12

One more sign Democrats are hoping Newt Gingrich becomes the Republican nominee for President: the key union for public employees are paying for deceptive anti-Romney ads in Florida, the site of the next GOP primary battle at the end of the month. With friends like these, does Newt Gingrich have to worry about lack of campaign funds and infrastructure in Florida?

(Snip)

In the anti-Romney ad, which begins airing Saturday, the male voiceover says that while Romney was a director of Damon Corp., a medical testing company acquired by Bain Capital in 1989, "the company was defrauding Medicare of millions." The ad goes on to point out that Romney profited handsomely from his investment in the suburban Boston company (which Bain, the private-equity firm Romney co-founded, sold several years later).

"Prosecutors called it corporate greed run amok," intones the narrator. "The company was fined $100 million. But Romney himself made a fortune." On the screen, a mock newspaper headline says that Romney "personally reaped $473,000." One of the signboards in the ad says that Damon committed "$25 million in Medicare fraud while Romney oversaw the company."

The scandal, which involved overbilling Medicare, did result in Damon paying a $119-million fine.

However, the ad doesn't tell the whole story. For one thing, and significantly, prosecutors never implicated Romney or anyone else from Bain in the fraud.

(Snip)

Also

LA Times: Labor group launching ads in Florida targeting Mitt Romney

(Snip)

However, the ad doesn't tell the whole story. For one thing, and significantly, prosecutors never implicated Romney or anyone else from Bain in the fraud.

An eagle-eyed viewer -- or someone hitting the pause button on YouTube -- might catch a headline on the black-and-white screen that points out Romney profited from a firm "later tied to fraud" and that Damon was "fined after sale by Bain." Those nuances are (deliberately) lost on the average viewer.

Then the kicker, at least for Florida viewers: In the ad, Romney's face morphs into Scott's. "Corporate greed, Medicare fraud. Sound familiar?" asks the narrator, over a closing image of Romney and Scott standing side by side.

(Snip)

Looks like this ad is a twofer attack Romney and Republican Gov. Rick Scott.

Thanks, shoutValin, that was interesting. I couldn't remember what happened way back then. I wonder if CNN would like the play that video again now.

Thanks, shoutValin, that was interesting. I couldn't remember what happened way back then. I wonder if CNN would like the play that video again now.

Wish they would, but that would go again the meme that Newt is a crook....of course they say we all are crooks...except for those who are racists & crooks.