Coffee Shop

Rheo

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can’t opt out

Google said Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a radical shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.

The information will enable Google to develop a fuller picture of how people use its growing empire of Web sites. Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes.

The policy will take effect March 1 and will also impact Android mobile phone users, who are required to log in to Google accounts when they activate their phones. snip

No kidding. I do not like this at all. Especially if it takes from Google calendar. aaaccckkk.

Why do I have alarm bells going off in my head?

James Lileks also has alarm bells in today's Bleat.

I'd make a small wager they are getting mail over this.

Just in case you're wondering Google: search engines list

From the Instapundit...

JUST HEARD FROM MARK LEVIN that his Ameritopia: The Unmaking Of America will debut at #1 for all categories on the New York Times nonfiction bestseller list next week. Congratulations, Mark!

I would also add 1,120 Amazon customer reviews! The book came out January 17, 2012. The Great one certainly has sparked conversation.

Just an FYI, this tv station, WKOW, is going to live stream Gov. Walker's State of the State speech tonite at 7 PM CST.

Thank you. Good to keep an eye on Cheesehead land.

Fail: Manila police try to defuse artillery round with wrench and acetylene torch

Yes. The expected result occurred. Four people were killed.

AN artillery round has accidentally exploded while a welder and police commandos tinkered with it with an acetylene torch, killing four people, including two policemen, in the Philippine capital.

Ten other people, including another policeman, was wounded in yesterday's powerful blast in an ironworks shop in suburban Taguig city in the capital where the policemen brought the explosive apparently to have it defused and opened, police Senior Superintendent Tomas Apolinario Jr said.

Investigators were trying to determine where the policemen got the artillery round and why they brought it to an ironworks shop outside a police camp in Taguig instead of handing it to ordnance experts, who can safely defuse it, said Apolinario, who heads the Taguig police force.

"There was a procedural lapse in the way they handled this artillery round," Apolinario said.

The sprawling police camp in Taguig, southeast of Manila, used to have a depot for unexploded munitions and vintage bombs but a huge, accidental explosion at the site forced authorities to close it years ago.

Apolinario said the policemen failed to defuse and open the artillery round with a wrench, prompting them to bring it to a welder.

(Source)

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can’t opt out

Google said Tuesday it will require users to allow the company to follow their activities across e-mail, search, YouTube and other services, a radical shift in strategy that is expected to invite greater scrutiny of its privacy and competitive practices.

The information will enable Google to develop a fuller picture of how people use its growing empire of Web sites. Consumers will have no choice but to accept the changes.

The policy will take effect March 1 and will also impact Android mobile phone users, who are required to log in to Google accounts when they activate their phones. snip

No kidding. I do not like this at all. Especially if it takes from Google calendar. aaaccckkk.

Why do I have alarm bells going off in my head?

might be time to find another search engine.

I use Bing most of the time. I have also read that FB is mining accounts for political information in alliance with Politico angry.gif

Welcome to the XXIst century

Indiana state Senate passes right to work bill

The Indiana state Senate on Monday approved a controversial measure that would make it the first right-to-work state in the traditional manufacturing heartland of the country.

The Republican-led Senate voted 28 to 22 in favor of the right-to-work legislation after two hours of debate, with nine of the majority Republicans voting against.

The measure still must clear the Republican-majority House of Representatives, where Democrats have been using stalling tactics to prevent a vote.

Under the proposed Indiana law, employees at unionized private businesses would not have to pay union dues. Such statutes are enforced in 22 states, mostly in the South and West.

If the law goes into force, Indiana would become the first right-to-work state in the area considered the country's traditional manufacturing belt. The manufacturing belt of the Midwest and mid-Atlantic states is now sometimes dubbed the rust belt because of the large number of plant closures.snip

This is a big deal.

When Mitch Daniels signs this Indiana unions will have to compete for members....and that's a good thing.