Coffee Shop

Rheo

All politics aside, there is something creepily unnerving about this picture. I can't quite identify it, but it makes me uneasy.

Newt-and-Callista_2135329b.jpg

Edited to add: And I'm stunned that she is only 45. I would have guessed her to be at least ten years older than that.

Stunned for sure! I would have guessed 20 years older.

She looks like the Queen from the Snow White movie when she was disguised as the old peddler woman.

She shoud lie and says she's 65, more believable

NY POST

Troubled queen of pop gone at 48; will be honored at tonight's Grammys

Troubled icon is gone at 48

By TIM PERONE and EMILY SMITH

with Post Wire Services

Last Updated: 4:37 AM, February 12, 2012

Posted: 2:44 AM, February 12, 2012

More icon_print.gif Print

Scissors-32x32.pngWhitney Houston, the pop singer whose towering voice helped her ascend to the top of the entertainment world before drug abuse brought her crashing back down, died yesterday. She was 48.

Houston — who sold 200 million albums and singles worldwide and rose to fame in the middle of the 1980s with such hits as “Saving All My Love For You” and “How Will I Know” — was found dead in her fourth-floor room in the Beverly Hilton Hotel, sources told The Post.

Police said emergency responders were on the scene in less than three minutes and administered CPR, but were unable to revive her. She was pronounced dead at 6:55 p.m. New York time.

12.1n006-7.whitney.c.ta--300x300.jpg

Ebet Roberts/Redferns/Getty Images

SONG IS OVER: Whitney Houston went from being a fresh-faced pop singer (left and right) and a co-star with Kevin Costner (above right) in “The Bodyguard” to looking like hell a week ago in LA (above, left).

12.2N007.whitney2.C--300x450.jpg

David Tonnessen/Ben Dome, Pacifi

No cause of death was revealed but authorities said there were no signs of foul play.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/whitney_death_shocker_l78lfhHM6iEbQLIEdAohxJ#ixzz1mA4Cs6Ka

Boston Herald

Freezin’ of speech

howie_carr.gif?1=1 By Howie Carr

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - Updated 5 hours ago

Scissors-32x32.pngWhat if Bruins [team stats] goalie Tim Thomas [stats] had posted on his Facebook page that he was in favor of gay marriage?

He’d be up for a Profiles in Courage award, even though it required no courage, only Political Correctness.

But instead the Boston Bruins goalie wrote these 11 fightin’ words: “I Stand with the Catholics in the fight for Religious Freedom.”

Us Weekly

Bobby Brown Sobs at Concert Hours After Whitney Houston's Death

Celebrity News February 11, 2012 AT 11:56PM By Justin Ravitz

1329013220_bobby-brown.jpg

Credit: Allen Berezovsky/Getty Images

Scissors-32x32.pngJust hours after the shocking death of his ex-wife Whitney Houston, the show went on for Bobby Brown on Saturday night.

PHOTOS: Whitney Houston's life remembered

The R&B singer, 43, went ahead with a planned concert in Mississippi with his famed group New Edition as news hit that Houston had died at age 48 in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.

NY POST

Archbishop attacks Obama's birth-control compromise as not enough

By KATHIANNE BONIELLO

Posted: 1:04 AM, February 12, 2012

Scissors-32x32.pngIn a scathing letter to his flock, Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan said the Obama administration “violate(s) our religious freedom” with rules about contraception.

On Friday, President Obama said religious groups like the Catholic Church would not have to directly pay for birth control with the health insurance they offer employees. But that “compromise” doesn’t go far enough, Dolan says.

“We have grave reservations that the government is intruding in the definition of who is and who is not a religious employer,” Dolan and other church leaders proclaimed in a letter to fellow bishops.

12.1N008.dolan1.C.TA--300x300.jpg

Reuters

MAD AS HELL: Archbishop Timothy Dolan (pictured) lashed out yesterday at President Obama for his revision on birth-control coverage for women who work in Catholic organizations.

12.1N008.dolan2.C--300x300.jpg

President Obama

The statements were made public hours before Dolan departed last night for Rome, where he’ll be installed Saturday as a cardinal.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...J#ixzz1mAAT6gwg

NY POST

Archbishop attacks Obama's birth-control compromise as not enough

By KATHIANNE BONIELLO

Posted: 1:04 AM, February 12, 2012

Scissors-32x32.pngIn a scathing letter to his flock, Cardinal-designate Timothy Dolan said the Obama administration “violate(s) our religious freedom” with rules about contraception.

On Friday, President Obama said religious groups like the Catholic Church would not have to directly pay for birth control with the health insurance they offer employees. But that “compromise” doesn’t go far enough, Dolan says.

“We have grave reservations that the government is intruding in the definition of who is and who is not a religious employer,” Dolan and other church leaders proclaimed in a letter to fellow bishops.

12.1N008.dolan1.C.TA--300x300.jpg

Reuters

MAD AS HELL: Archbishop Timothy Dolan (pictured) lashed out yesterday at President Obama for his revision on birth-control coverage for women who work in Catholic organizations.

12.1N008.dolan2.C--300x300.jpg

President Obama

The statements were made public hours before Dolan departed last night for Rome, where he’ll be installed Saturday as a cardinal.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...J#ixzz1mAAT6gwg

The question is, when does human life begin? That question has been the real question right from the start.

All politics aside, there is something creepily unnerving about this picture. I can't quite identify it, but it makes me uneasy.

Edited to add: And I'm stunned that she is only 45. I would have guessed her to be at least ten years older than that.

Maybe life with Newt is like "dog years"...

How long have they been together?

That might have done the trick!

Instapundit

Scissors-32x32.pngHEALTH CARE: Supply of a Cancer Drug May Run Out Within Weeks. “A crucial medicine to treat childhood leukemia is in such short supply that hospitals across the country may exhaust their stores within the next two weeks, leaving hundreds and perhaps thousands of children at risk of dying from a largely curable disease, federal officials and cancer doctors say.”

This seems kinda third-worldish to me. And these shortages keep happening.

UPDATE: Reader Don Jansen writes: “So price controls are imposed on injectable drugs and lo and behold a shortage arises. Who would have thunk it?” Indeed.

[Read the whole thing.]

WestVirginiaRebel

Ugh. Guess who agrees with John McCain?

Leader Of Al Qaeda Calls On Muslims To Help Syrian Rebels

The head of Al Qaeda is calling on Muslims across the Arab world and beyond to support rebels in Syria who are seeking to overthrow President Bashar Assad, and says they cannot depend on the West for help.

In a new videotaped statement, Ayman al-Zawahri calls on Muslims in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey to join the uprising against Assad's "pernicious, cancerous regime."

In the video titled "Onwards, Lions of Syria," Zawahiri criticized the Syrian regime for crimes against its citizens, and praised those rising up against the government.

WestVirginiaRebel

Samuel L. Jackson: ‘I Voted for Barack Because He Was Black’

“I voted for Barack because he was black. ’Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them,” Jackson said. "That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama’s] message didn’t mean sh-t to me. In the end, he’s a politician. I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do.

According to the New York Post, the "Pulp Fiction" legend repeatedly dropped the N-word during his cover story interview.

“When it comes down to it, they wouldn’t have elected a [bleep]," Jackson said. "Because, what’s a [bleep]? A [bleep] is scary. Obama ain’t scary at all. [bleeps] don’t have beers at the White House. [bleeps] don’t let some white dude, while you in the middle of a speech, call [him] a liar" -- an apparent reference to Rep. Joe Wilson's "You lie!" outburst during Obama's health care address to a joint session of Congress in 2009.

Jackson continued, "A [bleep] would have stopped the meeting right there and said, ‘Who the [bleep] said that?’ I hope Obama gets scary in the next four years, ’cuz he ain’t gotta worry about getting re-elected.”

Defending his repeated use of the racial epithet, Jackson said it "became a part of my vocabulary when I was born."

"Because it was used on me in my house, often . . . I know the word [bleep] as an admonishment, an endearment, a criticism and an invective. So I use it; I don’t run from it. I don’t have an issue with it or who says it. I always put it in the context of how it was used on me," he said.

Maybe life with Newt is like "dog years"...

How long have they been together?

That might have done the trick!

hmmm...Mars Attacks comes to mind