Candidate - Michele Bachmann

Geee

gallery_3_15_14721.jpg

Michele Bachmann is a principled reformer who holds an unwavering commitment to the conservative values that helped her succeed as a small business owner, a U.S. tax attorney, a state and federal lawmaker, and a wife and mother. She is a Constitutional conservative who understands that our Founding Fathers established a federal government to preserve and protect the nation while fostering an environment where dreams could flourish. It is Michele's single greatest calling in public service to ensure that the liberties enshrined in our founding documents are handed down from this generation to the next.

----

Michele Marie Bachmann (English pronunciation: /ˈbɑːxmən/) (née Amble; born April 6, 1956)is a member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Minnesota's 6th congressional district. She previously served in the Minnesota State Senate and is the first Republican woman to represent the state in Congress.

Bachmann is a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, a supporter of the Tea Party movement and a founder of the House Tea Party Caucus.

Bachmann earned a Master of Laws degree, worked as a tax attorney, and was a foster mother for 23 teenagers. Bachmann grew up in a Democratic family, but she says she became a Republican during her senior year at Winona State. She told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that she was reading Gore Vidal's 1973 novel, Burr: "He was kind of mocking the Founding Fathers and I just thought, I just remember reading the book, putting it in my lap, looking out the window and thinking, 'You know what? I don't think I am a Democrat. I must be a Republican.'"

While she was still a Democrat, Bachmann and her then-fiance Marcus were inspired to join the pro-life movement by Francis Schaeffer's 1976 Christian documentary film, How Should We Then Live?. They frequently prayed outside of clinics and served as sidewalk counselors.

Bachmann was a supporter of Jimmy Carter in 1976 and she and her husband worked on his campaign. During Carter's presidency, Bachmann became disappointed with his liberal approach to public policy, support for legalized abortion and economic decisions she held responsible for increased gas prices. In the 1980 presidential election, she voted for Ronald Reagan and worked for his campaign.

Bachmann's political activism gained media notice at a pro-life protest in 1991. She and approximately 30 other pro-life citizens went to a Ramsey County Board meeting where a $3 million appropriation was to go to build a morgue for the county at St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center (now called Regions Hospital). The Medical Center performed abortions and employed abortion rights pioneer Jane Hodgson. Bachmann attended the meeting to protest public tax dollars going to the hospital; speaking to the Star Tribune, she said that "in effect, since 1973, I have been a landlord of an abortion clinic, and I don’t like that distinction".

In 1993, Bachmann and other parents started a K-12 charter school in Stillwater, and she began speaking against a state-mandated set of educational standards, which propelled her into the world of politics.

Bachmann became a critic and opponent of Minnesota's School-to-Work policies. In a 1999 column, she wrote: "School-to-Work alters the basic mission and purpose of K-12 academic education away from traditional broad-based academic studies geared toward maximizing intellectual achievement of the individual. Instead, School-to-Work utilizes the school day to promote children's acquisition of workplace skills, viewing children as trainees for increased economic productivity."

Wikipedia

gallery_3_15_14721.jpgMichele Bachmann

Presidential 2012

Website

Links to the Candidate News Threads

Herman Cain:

Tim Pawlenty:

Bachmann

Rick Perry

Mitt Romney

Gary E Johnson:

Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum

Jon Huntsman Jr:

Ron Paul: Candidate

Bachmann Says She's Filed to Run for President

DEVELOPING: Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann said Monday night during a debate of declared and potential Republican presidential contenders that she had filed the paperwork needed to enter the race.

Bachmann, a favorite of the the Tea Party movement, said she intended to make a formal announcement of her candidacy soon.

The two-hour debate, hosted by CNN, is being held in Manchester, N.H.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/13/bachmann-says-shes-filed-to-run-for-president/

Michele Bachmann enters presidential race

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, an outspoken Republican with close ties to the tea party, announced Monday that she running for president, a candidacy that could further shake up a volatile fight for the GOP nomination.

The first woman to enter the 2012 race, Bachmann announced her bid during a Republican presidential debate in New Hampshire. The third-term Minnesota congresswoman has been leaning heavily toward a run over the past few months, visiting early primary states, raising money and railing against President Barack Obama.

"Our country needs a leader who understands the hardships that people across America have been facing over the past few years, and who will do what it takes to renew the American dream. We must become a strong and proud America again, and I see clearly a better path to a brighter future," Bachmann said in a statement issued through her new campaign.

She brings high energy, charisma and proven fundraising ability to the Republican race to nominate a challenger to Obama. She also is known for unyielding stances, biting commentary and high-profile gaffes.

Bachmann is attempting the rare leap from the U.S. House to the presidency.snip

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/nation/2011/06/michele-bachmann-enters-presidential-race

The debate is sort of odd. CNN just seems off on moderating it.

It's better now, but I was really getting irritated in the beginning cause he hardly let them get a word out of their mouths before he interrupted them.

clearvision

Someone, I think the host, keeps muttering or trying to stop them over and over and over. Very irritating.

GOP DEBATE: Bachmann grabs spotlight with filing announcement

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) announced during Monday evening's presidential debate that she'd filed paperwork to run for president.

"I filed today my paperwork to run for president of the United States … I wanted you to be the first to know," she said.

She added she would make a formal announcement at a later time.

Bachmann, the conservative congresswoman with ties to the Tea Party movement, made the announcement during her first answer during the Republican debate in Manchester, N.H.

The announcement is somewhat of a move to keep the spotlight on her announcement, and less on the other candidates in the race.

The Minnesota lawmaker had made rumblings to suggest that she would announce during a trip to Iowa, but instead chose to do it in New Hampshire, the first-in-the-nation primary state.

Bachmann has some campaign infrastructure in place; her chief of staff stepped down earlier this month to take a role with the campaign, and Ed Rollins, a veteran GOP strategist who'd served in the past as a strategist for former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee ®, has also signed on to help Bachmann.snip

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/166221-bachmann-files-to-run-for-president

righteousmomma

Not watching. Instead watching remake of "My Favorite Martian".

Makes as much sense.

I like Michelle Bachmann. Finally getting interesting.

WestVirginiaRebel

EXCLUSIVE: Political Insiders Give Early Debate Nod to Romney, Bachmann

A Republican Insider said of Bachmann, “Remarkably impressive and brilliant move announcing for president during debate.”

Democratic Insiders thought Bachmann was delivering a good performance in the multi-candidate debate format.

“Great energy and personality,” said one Democratic Insider. “Excellent answers that were solidly conservative but sounded very reasonable.” Added another Democrat, “Bachmann is proving to be a strong debater, relaxed, concise, and delivering good one-liners.”

Said one Democratic Insider who admitted to being surprised by Bachmann’s showing: “She is coming across as accessible and likeable; she is one of the only candidates up there who has smiled and is trying to connect with the ‘real people’ asking the questions.”

1. I'm a big fan of Michelle Bachmann.

2. My mother has as good a chance of winning to nomination much less the WH...and she's been dead for ten years.

2. My mother has as good a chance of winning to nomination much less the WH...and she's been dead for ten years.

Which is why those "Democratic Insiders" are praising her performance.

Which is why those "Democratic Insiders" are praising her performance.

I didn't watch it, but from what I heard on talk radio today she did well.

that said I have every confidence that she will shoot herself in the foot badly at some point in this race.

I have also heard that she has problem keeping staffers in the Washington office (if true) I find this...disturbing.

Michele Bachmann flexes national security credentials

Just a few months ago, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann’s appointment to the intelligence committee drew mild resistance and private snickering from her Republican colleagues. Now, it’s becoming a central part of the narrative behind a presidential campaign that is quickly gaining steam.

At Monday’s Republican presidential debate, Bachmann flexed her newfound national security credentials: She told the nation that Defense Secretary Robert Gates had been unable to identify a vital national security interest in Libya, and she discussed reports that the Al Qaeda branch in North Africa might be coordinating with the Libyan rebels. In doing so, she demonstrated a facility with national security issues that comes with regular access to high-level secrets.

It was, quite simply, a different Michele Bachmann who emerged on stage at St. Anselm’s College in New Hampshire — a nuanced, focused and polished politician rather than the one-dimensional firebrand she’s been caricatured as in the past. If she is to make a serious run at the presidential nomination, Monday’s debate might be the turning point that gave the GOP establishment a reason to give her a second look.

But Bachmann’s efforts to burnish her security credentials could be a double-edged sword: Talking about her proximity to national secrets gives her a certain cachet difficult for the leading Republicans such as Mitt Romney or Tim Pawlenty to match, but it also opens up the possibility that she will go too far in sharing what she knows publicly.

For now, she’s wielding the blade effectively.snip

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56994.html

righteousmomma

The seek and destroy plan has started.

Salon (really do consider the source) has a snarky article about her that is actually quoting and lauding another article:

War Room

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 12:30 ET

Michele Bachmann, gay-curing theocrat

The surprisingly "serious" presidential candidate is even more extreme than she appears

By Alex Pareene

Michelle Goldberg's Daily Beast/Newsweek piece on Michele Bachmann's history and faith -- a strain of born-againism associated with crackpot history, opposition to science, and virulent intolerance of gays and lesbians -- shows precisely how out-there Bachmann is, even though the congresswoman these days pretends to be run-of-the-mill hard-right-winger. (Yes, her current extremism represents a moderation of her former incarnation.)

The piece begins with a wonderful recounting of the time she accused lesbians of kidnapping her and holding her hostage in a bathroom, because some ladies were talking to her. Minnesotans may know much of this already, but people familiar with Bachmann only from liberal blogs or cable news are missing the evangelical extremism that informs her every public statement. She talks like Ron Paul now, but she's Pat Robertson at heart. Her spiritual influences and advisors explicitly advocate theocracy and are obviously responsible for her garbled and twisted impression of American history.......

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/06/15/bachmann_theocrat/

clearvision

Hopefully the media gets at any Republican candidate now. I'm very concerned about getting 8 months down the road and then having dirt (real or exaggerated) brought out.

Well, I guess that could be a good sign-since I was getting to worry that some of the usual suspects were praising her and I don't trust them not to push her for their own good.

TYRRELL: The charismatic Michele Bachmann

So there are two. Two pulchritudinous ones, that is. Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin are very beautiful, and the feminists ask us, “So what?” Well, they never say “so what” when an attractive male, usually a Democrat, comes on stage. They call him charismatic. Mrs. Bachmann and Mrs. Palin are sufficiently charismatic for me, and both have raised families. Mrs. Bachmann had five children of her own and 23 foster children before entering public life. That is the proper sequence of events: Raise a family, enter public life.

Now Mrs. Bachmann has entered public life in a big way. She declared her candidacy for president Monday night at the Republican presidential debate in New Hampshire. Her answers were crisp and persuasive. She is strong on social and economic issues and also on intelligence and security matters. Rather brilliantly, she suggested her expertise by drawing on her experience on congressional committees, namely intelligence and financial oversight committees. She is a Tea Partyer and a social conservative. In the campaign, both areas need addressing.

But what caught my eye was an answer she gave to Stephen Moore in a Wall Street Journal interview over the weekend. Explaining how she voted for Paul Ryan’s budget, she said she did so “with an asterisk” because the “asterisk is that we’ve got a huge messaging problem [on Medicare]. It needs to be called the 55-and-Under Plan. I can’t tell you the number of 78-year-old women who think we’re going to pull the rug out from under them.” Mrs. Bachmann has faced up to the Democrats’ gaudy lie that people age 56 and older are facing Medicare cuts with the Ryan plan. They are not - not with the Ryan budget. With the Obamacare plan we are all facing the eclipse of Medicare. Medicare will be slashed for everyone very soon, and that is written into the president’s policy. Better it is to note that Mr. Ryan’s reform gives us plenty of time to fix the system before the under 55-year-olds enter the depleted policy and are faced with the cuts that even the older seniors now face.snip

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/15/the-charismatic-michele-bachmann/

NRO: Minnesota Onstage

Kathryn Jean Lopez

6/7/11

Minneapolis attorney Scott Johnson has been a blogging powerhouse since he launched the Power Line group blog in 2002. With two Republican presidential contenders hailing from Minnesota — former governor Tim Pawlenty and congresswoman Michele Bachmann — he talked to NRO this week about the North Star pols and other assorted political questions of the hour.

Kathryn Jean Lopez: Did you ever think you’d live to see the day where two Minnesotans would be popular Republican primary contenders?

Scott Johnson: In 1968, Minnesota had two contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Eugene McCarthy and Vice President Hubert Humphrey. We thought that defied the odds in a major way. Minnesota has not voted Republican at the presidential level for a very long time, roughly since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary. The idea that we would have two serious Republican presidential candidates in the 2012 cycle is unbelievable. Also unbelievable is the lack of interest among the Minnesota media in the phenomenon. You’d think they might want to try to figure it out.

(Snip)

righteousmomma

Thanks Valin.

Good interview and has some excellent points.

Lopez: What’s so special about Bachmann?

Johnson: As my Power Line partner John Hinderaker says, Rep. Bachmann is a force of nature. She is smart, beautiful, conservative, a successful professional and homemaker, and a relentless campaigner who has never lost an election.

Lopez: What would the national media be most surprised to learn about her?

Johnson: The media won’t learn it — they will do their best to propagate a contrary falsehood — but Rep. Bachmann is one smart cookie.

Lopez: What’s her biggest advantage?

Johnson: I think it would be difficult to pick one. Her combination of strengths is her biggest advantage.

Lopez: What’s her greatest liability?

Johnson: The media will be dedicated to her destruction, as they are to Sarah Palin’s.

Lopez: Does it make sense or drive you crazy when Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann are compared?

Johnson: I think that the comparison is apt. I have thought that Michele is our own Sarah Palin. One other striking comparison between them is their support for Israel. Michele is probably the favorite guest of our local chapter of the Republican Jewish Coalition.

Paul, Bachmann rock day two at Republican Leadership Conference

Day two of the 2011 Republican Leadership Conference marked the arrival of fresh blood in the form of younger (and older) supporters of Texas Rep. Ron Paul, in town to support their candidate by voting in the conference’s presidential straw poll.

Their presence was evident during the speech by former Godfather’s Pizza CEO and presidential candidate Herman Cain, who immediately preceded Paul. Cain opened by needling media bigwigs such as Bill O’Reilly, and Karl Rove by telling them, “I didn’t get the memo that I’m not supposed to run! I’m running!”

Cain was generally well-received. But when he moved on to foreign policy and told the audience that, “When you mess with Israel you are messing with the United States of America!,” Paul’s dovish supporters made their presence known by breaking up the applause with just as many boos.

Cain still elicited unanimous cheers form the crowd by hitting on reliable topics such as slashing taxes across the board. When he turned to energy, Cain asked the audience if America could meet its own energy needs and led a call-and-response chorus with the answer being, “Yes we Cain!”

http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/17/paul-bachmann-rock-day-two-at-republican-leadership-conference/

righteousmomma

Cain was generally well-received. But when he moved on to foreign policy and told the audience that, “When you mess with Israel you are messing with the United States of America!,” Paul’s dovish supporters made their presence known by breaking up the applause with just as many boos.

Very bad news for Paul - in the eyes of the majority of us Americans! And extremely sad to see their libertarian isolationist view extends to Israel.

Michele, New-Feminist Belle

‘I’ve given birth to five babies, and I’ve taken 23 foster children into my home,” Michele Bachman explained from the stage of the first major Republican presidential primary debate of the 2012 season.

Jon Stewart would joke the next day that Bachmann was the winner of the primary “baby-off.” Imagining himself moderator, The Daily Show host added: “And I just wanna ask everyone else here up on the dais, Have you ever had to divide a birthday cake into 28 equal pieces?”

The Minnesota congresswoman was answering a question about abortion and brandishing her most authentic credentials as an embodiment of those God-given rights America was established to protect. She also underscored one of the ways she is a formidable challenge to conventional media narratives about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness — a woman who fearlessly and credibly calls President Obama on the “shocking” lack of empathy that his policies demonstrate. She represents a continuing, promising threat to the prevailing view of what exactly social justice (see www.seeksocialjustice.com) and even feminism is.

The entrance of Sarah Palin onto the national political scene in 2008 marked a milestone: No longer could the mainstream media pretend that women in politics were all about liberal Democrats, wedded to the so-called ‘women’s issue,’ legal abortion. Now a candidate for the presidency, Bachmann drives that point home.

“Michele Bachmann’s commanding presence and performance in the debate sealed a political evolution that has been fomenting for some time: the diminution of feminism and the evolution of femininity,” Kellyanne Conway, president of The Polling Company, says.snip

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/269960/michele-new-feminist-belle-kathryn-jean-lopez

Very bad news for Paul - in the eyes of the majority of us Americans! And extremely sad to see their libertarian isolationist view extends to Israel.

The Paulistas don't care, about what others think. And why should they? After all they are always right...don't believe me just ask them. :D