Candidate - Michele Bachmann

Geee

WestVirginiaRebel

Bachmann: Rivals' 'money is changing hands'

Michele Bachmann, asked just now by CNN’s John King about a statement from her South Carolina spokesman saying Newt Gingrich is buying votes, said her campaign has heard that “money is changing hands.”

Her S.C. spokesman Wesley Donohue made the accusation against Gingrich last month in an interview with the Columbia Free-Times:

Bachmann is trying to grow an organic base of supporters, and Newt Gingrich is trying to buy off tea party groups. … Newt Gingrich knows the only way he can get the tea party vote is to buy it.

When King asked Bachmann tonight to support or deny it, she deferred to Donohue but said she’s been “hearing” about these occurrences around the country:

Well, Wesley would have to speak to that himself with what evidence he has, but this is something that we’ve been hearing all across the country, that money is changing hands, and that’s not how I do business. In fact I’ve told people, I’ve told evangelicals, I’ve told tea partiers, I don’t pay people to come out and be my supporters, that’s not what I do. When we have tea party groups and all of the rest, I don’t do that because I’m just a real person.

Bachmann's gotten in hot water before for making claims without backup, and it's not clear whether there is more to this one. I’ve emailed Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond for a response.

Is her campaign's desperation showing? :huh:

Bachmann: Rivals' 'money is changing hands'

Michele Bachmann, asked just now by CNN’s John King about a statement from her South Carolina spokesman saying Newt Gingrich is buying votes, said her campaign has heard that “money is changing hands.”

Her S.C. spokesman Wesley Donohue made the accusation against Gingrich last month in an interview with the Columbia Free-Times:

Bachmann is trying to grow an organic base of supporters, and Newt Gingrich is trying to buy off tea party groups. … Newt Gingrich knows the only way he can get the tea party vote is to buy it.

When King asked Bachmann tonight to support or deny it, she deferred to Donohue but said she’s been “hearing” about these occurrences around the country:

Well, Wesley would have to speak to that himself with what evidence he has, but this is something that we’ve been hearing all across the country, that money is changing hands, and that’s not how I do business. In fact I’ve told people, I’ve told evangelicals, I’ve told tea partiers, I don’t pay people to come out and be my supporters, that’s not what I do. When we have tea party groups and all of the rest, I don’t do that because I’m just a real person.

Bachmann's gotten in hot water before for making claims without backup, and it's not clear whether there is more to this one. I’ve emailed Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond for a response.

Is her campaign's desperation showing? :huh:

Okay, my ignorance is showing here, but how does one go about buying votes in a primary race? In this day and age, how do you buy enough votes to matter without it becoming public knowledge, and where do you get enough money to make it happen?

I know that in caucus states money and political muscle do sometimes come into play.......the Obama campaign showed a certain adeptness for this practice during the '08 race. But, South Carolina is a simple ballot race.....how do you buy this, especially given Newt's rather dismal war chest?

• 2 weeks later...

Townhall: Bachmann Staffer Quits Campaign to Endorse Ron Paul

Helen Whalen Cohen

12/28/11

Well, this is awkward. Hours after quitting his post, Michele Bachmann's Iowa Chair went on to endorse...Ron Paul. From the Washington Post:

Talk about fairweather friends. Iowa state Sen. Kent Sorenson ®, who was Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann’s state campaign chairman, endorsed Texas Rep. Ron PaulWednesday night.

At a rally in Des Moines, Sorenson told the crowd, “We’re going to take Ron Paul all the way to the White House.”

(Snip)

More Here at Hot Air

This is just getting worse!

Bachmann campaign loses second key staffer in Ron Paul flap

Jamie Novogrod and Alex Moe

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann's campaign lost another high-ranking staff member on Thursday after that staffer defended another former Bachmann official's defection to a rival campaign.

Wes Enos, Bachmann's political director, has left the campaign, spokeswoman Alice Stewart confirmed to NBC News on Thursday evening.

CBS: Michele Bachmann drops out of GOP race

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- In the wake of a disappointing finish in Tuesday's Iowa caucuses, Rep. Michele Bachmann announced Wednesday that she is suspending her campaign for president.

"Last night, the people of Iowa spoke with a very clear voice, and so I have decided to stand aside," she said at a hastily-arranged news conference here.

"I have no regrets," she added. "None whatsoever. We never compromised our principles." She said she "looks forward to the next chapter in God's plan."

Bachmann did not endorse another candidate.

(Snip)

It gets mighty cold in Iowa in Jan.