FBI Director James Comey to Face Congress over Clinton Email Investigation

Valin

fbi-director-james-comey-to-face-congress-over-clinton-email-investigationFortune/AP:

The Associated Press

July 7, 2016

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director James Comey is set to make his first appearance before Congress since announcing the agency’s recommendation to not prosecute Hillary Clinton over her private email setup.

Comey will field questions Thursday from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee about an FBI announcement that dispersed the threat of criminal charges but also revived public scrutiny of Clinton’s handling of classified information.

(Snip)

Comey’s decision, and the way he delivered it, infuriated Republicans who felt that the FBI director in his unusually detailed and critical televised statement Tuesday had laid out a sufficient basis for prosecution.

“The FBI’s recommendation is surprising and confusing. The fact pattern presented by Director Comey makes clear Secretary Clinton violated the law,” said House oversight committee chairman Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican. “Individuals who intentionally skirt the law must be held accountable.”

House Speaker Paul Ryan has also said that “there are a lot more questions that need to be answered” and, in a letter to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, requested that Clinton be barred from receiving classified briefings for the rest of the campaign — a move that “certainly constitutes appropriate sanctions.” Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump complained that the system was “rigged.”

(Snip)

The Difference between The Republicans & The Democrats is...simply astounding. So far the Republicans are asking (hard) questions of Comey, the Democrats are saying Republicans are bad terrible people and this is just politics....oh and they hate that nice Mrs Clinton.

• Like 2

SrWoodchuck

The Difference between The Republicans & The Democrats is...simply astounding. So far the Republicans are asking (hard) questions of Comey, the Democrats are saying Republicans are bad terrible people and this is just politics....oh and they hate that nice Mrs Clinton.

@Valin!

Sweet E just loves this DC Kabuki theater & Social-Progressive, soap opera "flunkery"...while my BP just spikes. Luckily for me, she just relieved me at my post, baby-sitting grandkids...so while she watches, there & keeps my grandson from Minecraft...I'm at home watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent reruns....

• Like 1

FBI’s Comey: Hillary Clinton not ‘sophisticated enough’ to understand classified markings

FBI Director James Comey said Thursday that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton may not have been “sophisticated enough” to understand the classified markings on emails she sent and received, which explains why did didn’t know she was breaking the letter of the law.

Under intense questioning from Republicans, Mr. Comey said Mrs. Clinton’s public explanations of her behavior were not true. But he said his investigators couldn’t find evidence that Mrs. Clinton intended to break the law, which he said is the key to making a criminal case.

“I know that frustrates people but that’s the way the law is, that’s the practice in the Department of Justice,” Mr. Comey said.

Mr. Comey said there were three emails Mrs. Clinton sent or received that contained a “©” marking next to some paragraphs, which under U.S. rules means that information was marked classified.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/7/fbis-comey-hillary-clinton-not-sophisticated-enoug/

Comey: FBI didn’t put Clinton under oath

Hillary Clinton was not put under oath and there is no transcript of her interview with the FBI, Director James Comey told Congress on Thursday.

Mr. Comey said it’s still a crime if she lied to his agents — though he said he doesn’t believe that happened.

Republicans have called for the FBI’s interview with Mrs. Clinton to be released so her public defense of her secret email system can be stacked up with what she told agents. But Mr. Comey said no transcript exists.

Testifying to the House Oversight Committee, Mr. Comey revealed other new details both about Mrs. Clinton’s secret email account, and about the parameters of his bureau’s investigation into it.

He indicated they did see evidence that foreign governments tried to gain access to Mrs. Clinton’s server, though it’s impossible to know whether they succeeded. He said they didn’t find definitive evidence one way or the other.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/7/comey-fbi-didnt-put-clinton-under-oath/

clearvision

Hillary not recorded? Not under Oath? Wow.

She is not sophisticated enough to know top secret info..... Sigh.

He indicated they did see evidence that foreign governments tried to gain access to Mrs. Clinton’s server, though it’s impossible to know whether they succeeded. He said they didn’t find definitive evidence one way or the other.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/7/comey-fbi-didnt-put-clinton-under-oath/

ohmy.png What You Mean They Didn't Leave a Notice?

I suspect the fact that she was not recorded, not under oath and there's no transcript was the real reason behind the clandestine meeting between Billy Jeff and Loretta Lynch.

• Like 1

SrWoodchuck

I suspect the fact that she was not recorded, not under oath and there's no transcript was the real reason behind the clandestine meeting between Billy Jeff and Loretta Lynch.

...but...but...golf....and...grandkids...

Draggingtree
7/7/2016

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 7:35 am

Watching Jim Comey’s testimony this morning, I note that he said the FBI has not reviewed the truth of Hillary’s statements under oath to Congress. The questioner said that one of those statements was that she sent or received no information marked classified. Had the FBI reviewed that statement? No, replied Comey, we have not received a referral from Congress.

The questioner replied: “You’ll have one within a few hours.”

Scissors-32x32.png

Comments (111

http://patterico.com/2016/07/07/new-investigation-of-hillary-for-false-statements-to-congress/

Draggingtree
7/6/2016

Filed under: General — Dana @ 4:12 pm

[guest post by Dana]

Unsurprisingly:

Late this afternoon, I met with FBI Director James Comey and career prosecutors and agents who conducted the investigation of Secretary Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email system during her time as Secretary of State. I received and accepted their unanimous recommendation that the thorough, year-long investigation be closed and that no charges be brought against any individuals within the scope of the investigation. Scissors-32x32.png

http://patterico.com/2016/07/06/ag-lynch-guess-what-i-decided-to-take-the-fbi-recommendation-after-all/

Draggingtree

Filed under: General — JVW @ 12:59 pm

[guest post by JVW]

This is just too sad and depressing for words. The Los Angeles Times opinion section, knowing that they needed to deliver a defense of former Secretary of State and IT whiz, Hillary! Rodham Clinton, apparently couldn’t rouse any of the feeble minds on their editorial board — which coughed up a tepid editorial managing to both vindicate and rebuke Her Clintonic Majesty — nor any of the laughably otiose columnists on the payroll (looking at you Patttt Morrison and Jon Healey) to undertake the thankless task. And David Horse’s Ass Horsey is apparently incapable of thinking up a way to link Secretary Clinton’s email crimes directly to the GOP, so he too is taking a pass. Thus, in casting about the op/ed department to find the one person who will rise up to mount a defense of the woman whom everyone on staff with the exception of Jonah Goldberg wants to see win in November, they finally found their patsy champion:

The freaking intern.

Seriously, folks, today’s paper carries an opinion piece written by one Melissa Batchelor Warnke bearing the headline “Hillary Clinton didn’t go where David Petraeus and Scooter Libby did.” Scissors-32x32.png

http://patterico.com/2016/07/06/dog-trainer-sends-out-the-intern-to-defend-hillary/

Draggingtree

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 7:36 am

Remember John Deutch? He had secrets on a home computer:

Former CIA director John M. Deutch publicly apologized yesterday for mishandling top-secret information on unsecure home computers, saying he never intended to violate security rules and believes none of the information was compromised.

“The director of central intelligence is not above the rules,” a contrite Deutch told reporters after testifying behind closed doors for 2 1/2 hours before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. “I very much regret my errors.”

Deutch was about to be prosecuted by DoJ when Bubba Clinton pardoned him.

This guy was prosecuted and was not pardoned (i.e. he is a little, unimportant guy) for keeping classified information on a home computer:

Bryan H. Nishimura, 50, of Folsom, pleaded guilty today to unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials, United States Attorney Benjamin B. Wagner announced. Scissors-32x32.png

http://patterico.com/2016/07/06/when-the-fbi-cared-about-classified-information-on-home-computers/

@nickydog

Or You Could Say He Did What He Could, Given The Situation.

The Situation?

The Political Situation..the AG, POTUS were not (IMO) going to try very hard to 1. get an indictment 2. If they did get an indictment prosecute the case to the best of their ability.

So he may have been thinking "OK, I'm going to at least get this out in the public, and make it hard for the democrats to hide or spin this, and I'll take the flack for doing this."

Right now this is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Draggingtree
The Director Of The FBI Wants Us To Believe Hillary Is A Moron

She's not

By David Harsanyi JULY 8, 2016

We surrender. Hillary Clinton is innocent.

For this to work, though, we now have to accept that the woman Barack Obama christened the most qualified presidential nominee in history can’t understand the most basic workings of an email account. Although she served as both a U.S. senator and as secretary of State of the most powerful nation ever, she’s incapable of following basic directions. And, despite extensive training in the proper handling of classified information, she probably couldn’t get clearance as a White House intern.

“One of the things I’ve learned in this case,” an unconvincing Comey ruminated during the hearing, “is that the secretary might not have been as sophisticated as people assume.” Then he took to the awkward task of convincing America that Clinton was Mrs. Magoo rather than a rock-ribbed veteran of decades of federal investigations.

Well, the now-famous 18 U.S.C. 793(f) states that if you mishandle classified information you can be fined or be thrown in prison or both. There is not yet an exemption for politicians with inhibited cognitive abilities, although perhaps such concessions should be made for future presidents. Scissors-32x32.png

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/08/the-director-of-the-fbi-wants-us-to-believe-hillary-is-a-moron/