Five Things to Watch for in Tuesday’s Democratic Debate

Geee

democratic-presidential-debate-las-vegas-previewNational Review:

When Hillary Clinton takes the stage at the first Democratic primary debate in Las Vegas Tuesday night, it won’t be the coronation her campaign hoped for earlier this year. With her claim to the throne undermined by a slow-burning e-mail scandal, the proper line of succession is in doubt and the pretenders are sharpening their swords.

Whether those swords will draw blood remains an open question. Though Clinton’s dominant lead has shriveled, she remains the Democratic front-runner and commands the loyalty of her party’s elite. The insurgent who represents the would-be queen’s biggest threat, Vermont senator Bernie Sanders, continues to exercise extreme caution in criticizing her directly. And looming over all is the specter of a possible Joe Biden campaign, which would fundamentally transform the race in ways no one can accurately predict.

Discretion may for once prove the better part of valor in Las Vegas.

With that in mind, here are five things to watch for in Tuesday’s Sin City face-off:

WILL SANDERS GO NEGATIVE ON CLINTON?

Until Biden enters the fray, the most important fight in the Democratic campaign is still between Clinton and Sanders. The Vermont senator benefited immensely from the former secretary of state’s summer e-mail troubles, pulling ahead of her in New Hampshire and nipping at her heels in Iowa. And he did it without directly attacking Clinton for her perceived untrustworthiness — a tactic Democratic strategists say he should continue.Scissors-32x32.png

Former Obama Campaign Staffer Stephanie Cutter On The DNC’s Mistake In Limiting Debates And Lack Of Depth On Their Bench
Duane Patterson
Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Audio

HH: From the MGM Grand Hotel, the Washington Post is doing a special pregame special of which I am a part tonight at the MGM Grand, as is Stephanie Cutter sitting across from me on the radio row here, which is one radio show. Of course, you know her from Crossfire. You know her from the Obama White House and the Obama campaign. You know her from the Clinton White House. She is now a partner at Precision Strategies. You can follow her on Twitter, @SefCutter, and it’s STEF, not PH, @StefCutter. Stephanie Cutter, welcome back, good to have you on the Hugh Hewitt Show.

SC: Thanks for having me.

HH: You’ve been in these rooms before. What are they doing tonight in the suites over at the Wynn, where I assume they’re all staying?

SC: Well, I would imagine they all have their own, you know, preparation moments happening right now. I know for President Obama, when we were preparing for a debate, he needed some alone time, and then to see one or two people just before he walked on stage. So I would imagine people have their rituals and they’re following them. There’s nothing more you can prep for at this point. You just have to get yourself psychologically ready to walk out on that stage.

HH: So we’ve seen a million boxing movies. And there’s always the locker room moment right before you go out and do the fight and touch gloves and all that kind of thing. President Obama wanted to see a couple of people. I assume David Axelrod would be one of them, right?

SC: Absolutely.

(Snip)

Now it's time for the first Democratic debate of the election cycle, airing on CNN Tuesday night. So what approach will the moderator Anderson Cooper take?

He's veering toward the first, for the simple reason that he, and his producers don't think the Democrats have as much willingness to spar as the Republicans do right now.

In an interview on Sunday's "Reliable Sources," Cooper said his plan calls for "pointed questions" to each contender.

"Going into the Republican debates, you pretty much knew there were a number of candidates who were willing to [attack each other]," he said. "Some lower-level candidates wanted to punch up and try to make a name for themselves. That's not the case, so far as we've seen, on the Democratic side."

LINK

CNN host Anderson Cooper, who is set to moderate tonight's Democratic debate, was listed as a "notable past member" the Clinton Global Initiative's website along with a number of other big name journalists:

The list includes: CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Christiane Amanpour, Fox’s Greta Van Susteren, NBC’s Matt Lauer and Tom Brokaw, New York Times‘s Thomas Friedman and Nicholas Kristof, Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo, Yahoo’s Katie Couric, The Economist‘s Matthew Bishop, and Financial Times‘ Lionel Barber.

The Clinton Foundation later told Mediaite that none of these journalists were asked to pay the $20,000 membership fee required of members. However, it's safe to say that access to big name journalists was a key selling point for paying Clinton Global Initiative members. In a nutshell, Anderson Cooper helped Hillary Clinton raise money, and now he's presented as an impartial moderator for tonight's debate.

LINK

• Like 1

CNN SOLICITS DEBATE QUESTIONS FROM CELEBRITIES

Ahead of Tuesday night’s first Democratic presidential debate, CNN rounded up a group of Hollywood celebrities and other public figures to ask, “If you could pose a question to the presidential candidates at the Democratic debate on Tuesday night, what would you ask?”

As one might expect, Hollywood’s biggest names offered up some soft ball questions relating to familiar DNC causes, and other commentary on current hot button issues.

Stars like Katy Perry, Elton John, and Margaret Cho asked questions relating to LGBT rights, HIV/AIDS, and abortion/Planned Parenthood, while other celebs expressed concerns about medical marijuana, jobs for the middle class, and gun control.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/13/cnn-debate-hollywood-stars-ask-dems-about-abortion-gun-control-gay-rights/

At CNN, a double standard for Dem, GOP debates

Before the Republican presidential debate at the Reagan Library Sept. 16, CNN promised to stage what it called "actual debating."

"Is one of the goals for you … to spur more actual debating?" CNN's Brian Stelter asked debate moderator Jake Tapper a few days before the event. Stelter pointed to a moment in the August Fox News debate in which two candidates, Chris Christie and Rand Paul, had an extended and heated — and illuminating — exchange with each other.*

"That was my favorite moment from the debate," Tapper said. "Let's have as many of those as possible. So, yes, what the team and I have been doing is trying to craft questions that, in most cases, pit candidates against the other, specific candidates on the stage, on issues where they disagree, whether it's policy or politics or leadership. Let's actually have them discuss and debate."Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/at-cnn-a-double-standard-for-dem-gop-debates/article/2573943

According to PC Magizine the live stream will not be behind the paywall.

The livestream begins at 8 p.m. ET with some pre-debate banter from CNN anchors, followed by the three-hour debate at 8:30 p.m. ET. It will be available on CNN's homepage and across the channel's various mobile platforms

Otherwise KFYI-AM (550) will broadcast it.

I may keep the video on for a good laugh but not sure that I can deal with turning the sound on....

I have decided that life is to short to spend 2 hours watching/listening to this. So I'm off to play some Mechwarrior Online Do something useful...ie blow things up and kill bad guys.

Just saw a HD closeup of Anderson Cooper... A fitting intro to the freak show that's coming up. They just brought up Paul Begala and Donna Brazille.

One of the others said that she needs to play to her strength.... and then struggled to say what that might be.

MaxheadroomMpegMan.jpgAnderson-Cooper_Vanderbilt-Family-Upbrin

WestVirginiaRebel

Hillary and Bernie going after each other over gun control. She says everyone else has to be accountable (except her, of course.)