Egypt’s al-Sisi Makes Extraordinary Speech on Islam

Valin

@SrWoodchuck

Except the other two, Abrahamic religions, are bound by the Commandments.....as in..... a written command from God.....not a suggestion that's available for interpretation.

I beg to differ. Both Judaism and Christianity have had several changes over time.

@SrWoodchuck

Except the other two, Abrahamic religions, are bound by the Commandments.....as in..... a written command from God.....not a suggestion that's available for interpretation.

I beg to differ. Both Judaism and Christianity have had several changes over time.

@Valin

Is this your version of semantic ping-pong? Maybe you practice a different brand of Christianity? Or are Jewish?

The 10 commandments are essentially the same for both religions, with minor changes in syntax.

Not aware of any changes that threw out the Ten Commandments:

The Ten Commandments

I am the Lord, your God.

Thou shall bring no false idols before me.

Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother.

Thou shall not kill/murder.

Thou shall not commit adultery.

Thou shall not steal.

Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

Thou shall not covet your neighbor's wife (or anything that belongs to your neighbor).

Muslims have looser, differing & even opposite interpretations, feelings & behaviors related to the last five commandments high-lighted.

Yes Christianity had a reformation.

@SrWoodchuck

If you were to get in an Acme Mk IV time machine and go back to (say) 1215, and try to practice the Faith as it is today...well it would not go well with you. Yes the fundamentals...ie The Nicene Creed for example remain. What changes is how they are lived out, practiced in a given society at a given time. That is what I am talking about. The Changes have been even greater in Judaism.

@SrWoodchuck

If you were to get in an Acme Mk IV time machine and go back to (say) 1215, and try to practice the Faith as it is today...well it would not go well with you. Yes the fundamentals...ie The Nicene Creed for example remain. What changes is how they are lived out, practiced in a given society at a given time. That is what I am talking about. The Changes have been even greater in Judaism.

@Valin

I understand your point.

As I see the problem; a significant portion of Muslims [20 million+?] are living out the belief system of a murdering, nomadic pederast from the 7th century.

Next, a majority of the remaining Muslims are not speaking out against this outrage; either due to genuine fear for their lives, or, because their plan is unfolding in the manner that they wish & expect.

I'll admit that a significant group of Muslims are "peaceful"....in a non-violent way, but must follow the destiny of the religion of Islam, which means submission.....submission to that religion.

I admire Al-Sisis.

Living in the real world of our time....those are the conditions existing now.

Can you really tell me that either Christianity or Judaism is equal in it's threat of proselytism by force and death?

@SrWoodchuck

@Valin

I understand your point.

As I see the problem; a significant portion of Muslims [20 million+?] are living out the belief system of a murdering, nomadic pederast from the 7th century.

And that's why they'll lose.

Next, a majority of the remaining Muslims are not speaking out against this outrage; either due to genuine fear for their lives, or, because their plan is unfolding in the manner that they wish & expect.

The Former....for the most part. Although A lot really don't like/understand/approve what's going on..ie modernity.

Can you really tell me that either Christianity or Judaism is equal in it's threat of proselytism by force and death?

Today...no, but there was a time, and not that long ago. St. Bartholomew's Day massacre...The 30 Years War...etc. Judaism doesn't really proselytize, but in the Roman world having Jews as guards was something of a status symbol, the had a Rep.

@SrWoodchuck

@Valin

I understand your point.

And that's why they'll lose.

The Former....for the most part. Although A lot really don't like/understand/approve what's going on..ie modernity.

Today...no, but there was a time, and not that long ago. St. Bartholomew's Day massacre...The 30 Years War...etc. Judaism doesn't really proselytize, but in the Roman world having Jews as guards was something of a status symbol, the had a Rep.

@Valin!

I remember the canard about not remembering history & being doomed to repeat it....but again, we have to base our actions on what is happening now....because the consequences happen now, not 200, 400 or a thousand years ago.

They also happen at the speed of today. We dawdle...we're diddled.

What makes ISIS so evil & dangerous? They're here...and they don't give a rats patoot who they hurt or how. In fact they think up more heinous ways of offing everyone, every day.

We can't afford to coddle people that help them....we can't even allow people who don't speak against them to rest either. If they want to enjoy the benefits of freedom in the American Constitutional Republic....they need to assimilate enough to trust...or GTFO back to the sandy beginnings of Islam and 7th century warlords.

Ain't no middle ground.

@SrWoodchuck

No real disagreements here.

One of the problems is we have people who think, 1. There isn't a problem, and if there is its our fault (much of The Left). 2. There is a problem, but it isn't our problem and we should retreat into fortress America and to hell with them (Libertarians/Paleo-Cons). The problem with both of these is they have (at best) only a nodding acquaintance with the real world.

One of the good things that came out of 9-11 is it brought this into the consciousness of the American people, since then we've been having a conversation about, is there a problem, what should we do if there is. So far we have not come to a conclusion, but its better than pre 9-11 when no one really knew what was going on. So at least there is that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...