Egypt’s al-Sisi Makes Extraordinary Speech on Islam

Valin

egypts-al-sisi-makes-extraordinary-speech-on-islamPJ Media:

Roger L Simon

Jan. 3 2015

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi made an extraordinary speech on New Year’s Day to Cairo’s Al-Azhar and the Awqaf Ministry calling for a long overdue virtual ecclesiastical revolution in Islam. This is something no Western leader has the had the courage to do, certainly not Barack Obama, despite his Muslim education.

Accusing the umma (world Islamic population) of encouraging the hostility of the entire world, al-Sisi’s speech is so dramatic and essentially revolutionary it brings to mind Khrushchev’s famous speech exposing Stalin. Many have called for a reformation of Islam, but for the leader of the largest Arab nation to do so has world-changing implications.

Here are the key parts as translated on Raymond Ibrahim’s blog:

I am referring here to the religious clerics. We have to think hard about what we are facing—and I have, in fact, addressed this topic a couple of times before. It’s inconceivable that the thinking that we hold most sacred should cause the entire umma [islamic world] to be a source of anxiety, danger, killing and destruction for the rest of the world. Impossible!

That thinking—I am not saying “religion” but “thinking”—that corpus of texts and ideas that we have sacralized over the years, to the point that departing from them has become almost impossible, is antagonizing the entire world. It’s antagonizing the entire world!

Is it possible that 1.6 billion people [Muslims] should want to kill the rest of the world’s inhabitants—that is 7 billion—so that they themselves may live? Impossible!

I am saying these words here at Al Azhar, before this assembly of scholars and ulema—Allah Almighty be witness to your truth on Judgment Day concerning that which I’m talking about now.

All this that I am telling you, you cannot feel it if you remain trapped within this mindset. You need to step outside of yourselves to be able to observe it and reflect on it from a more enlightened perspective.

I say and repeat again that we are in need of a religious revolution. You, imams, are responsible before Allah. The entire world, I say it again, the entire world is waiting for your next move… because this umma is being torn, it is being destroyed, it is being lost—and it is being lost by our own hands. [bolds mine]

• Like 1

Epic Call by Egypt, Tunisia Leaders for Islamic Reformation

An ideological battle in the Muslim world between secular-democratic reformers and Islamists is happening. The question now is which side will win.

Ryan Mauro

Sun, January 4, 2015

The newly elected President of Tunisia Beji Caid Essebsi and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi recently issued loud calls for progressive reformations in Islamic thought to modernize outdated doctrine. Both of them explicitly identify the Islamist ideology as the core problem.

Raymond Ibrahim reports that Egyptian President El-Sisi gave a momentous speech during the celebrations of the birthday of Mohammed, the founder of Islam, where he told Muslims to have a “religious revolution” to change Islamic “thinking.”

The location is equally as important as the timing. He did this at Al-Azhar University, the world's most prominent Sunni school of learning.

El-Sisi confronted Islamist propaganda that changing Islamic doctrine is tantamount to blasphemy. He emphasized that there’s a difference between the interpretation of the religion and the religion itself. He argued that the ones who are actually hurting Islam are those who oppose the reformers.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Soon To Be Noticed by The NY Times...assuming they can get their heads out of there asses.

• Like 2

Sisi Becomes First Egyptian President to Attend Coptic Christmas Mass
Patrick Brennan
January 7, 2015

Egypt’s Coptic Christians celebrated Christmas on Wednesday, and the country’s Muslim president, Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, gave them an extra reason to be optimistic: this year He stopped by the Coptic cathedral in Cairo, the first Egyptian president ever to do so, on Christmas Eve. Al-Ahram reports:

(Snip)

Just over a year and a half ago, the cathedral, St. Mark’s, fell under attack from a Muslim mob that killed two Christians, and the Egyptian security forces, then under the command of elected Muslim Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi, did nothing to stop the attacks or actually joined in them.

Sadly, the battles are not over in Egypt: Sisi has ruled with some degree of authoritarianism, though he’s also popular. Two policemen were shot on Tuesday outside a church in southern Egypt — but it’s a far cry from when police were watching those Upper Egyptian churches burn.

A translation of Sisi’s short speech is here.

Cyber_Liberty

What I find interesting (and not in a good way) is this did not make it into the MSM.

Newspapers aren't going to cover this. They don't want their offices shot up and employees killed.

What I find interesting (and not in a good way) is this did not make it into the MSM.

Newspapers aren't going to cover this. They don't want their offices shot up and employees killed.

?

Cyber_Liberty

?

Muslims don't like people criticizing them. News coverage would be considered criticizing, so they'd take it out on the papers if they can't get the person who uttered the words. "Shooting the messenger" is SOP. At least, that's what the NYT says when they don't cover stories not favorable to Islam.

?

Muslims don't like people criticizing them. News coverage would be considered criticizing, so they'd take it out on the papers if they can't get the person who uttered the words. "Shooting the messenger" is SOP. At least, that's what the NYT says when they don't cover stories not favorable to Islam.

Well the NY Times says a great many things. Some of them even have a nodding acquaintance with reality.

Point is this sort of thing doesn't get covered all that much. This and the Tunisian elections could be a very big deal.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

?

Well the NY Times says a great many things. Some of them even have a nodding acquaintance with reality.

Point is this sort of thing doesn't get covered all that much. This and the Tunisian elections could be a very big deal.

I can't disagree with that. When the media decides to hide a story, it leaves us guessing as to why. My guess is just that, a guess.

@Cyber_Liberty

The thing is I've seen stories like this (Muslims speaking/acting against the Islamic terrorists) many times, and very rarely do they get the attention they (IMO) deserve. If this war is to be won, it will be Muslims who do it. In order for this to happen they need to see others see what is happening and support what they are doing.

• Like 3

Cyber_Liberty

@Cyber_Liberty

The thing is I've seen stories like this (Muslims speaking/acting against the Islamic terrorists) many times, and very rarely do they get the attention they (IMO) deserve. If this war is to be won, it will be Muslims who do it. In order for this to happen they need to see others see what is happening and support what they are doing.

I agree with that. They pretty much need to fix themselves, the alternative is we end up in a real shooting war with a billion or so people. It would be nice to see some coverage, but we're not getting it from the MSM. It might be they can't cover stories with that much nuance...J-school grads are down at the bottom for mental acuity (apologies to any here who might see me describing them. Present company is excepted). Or they just might be afraid to, like Dan Rather in Iraq before the war, when he was pals with Saddam Hussein.

• Like 2

Draggingtree

Is a Muslim Reformation possible?

It's clear that the religion of Islam hasn't adapted to modernity, as all other religions have. But in order for there to be peace in the Middle East and in many other areas of the world, it must. The question is how, and who will lead the way?

By: cantenucci04 (Diary) | January 7th, 2015 at 03:21 AM

I should begin this diary entry with a disclaimer: I’ve already written about the roots of Muslim antisemitism and why it’s so prevalent in today’s world. However, I recently came across a speech given by President al-Sisi of Egypt that really caught my attention, and I thought I’d tie it in to my previous writing. In the speech, he talked about and called for the very things I wrote about over a year ago, including such things as the need for a revolution within Islam and for Imams and scholars to change the way they think about adhering to the Qu’ran. What makes this a big deal is the fact that this is the first well-known Muslim leader who’s said anything like this. What makes it even more notable is that he’s the president of an important country with a huge Muslim population in it. Scissors-32x32.png

But his speech raises an important question, which is why is Islam still stuck in the Middle Ages? Why haven’t some of its most problematic elements been updated or removed to fit with the times in which we live? Why is antisemitism so rampant within Muslim countries? Moreover, what leader(s) or group(s) will spark the fire that leads to a modern revolution within Islam? My next diary entry will be an attempt to answer those questions or at least raise more questions so that people who are more educated on this topic can join in on the discussion and provide insight I might be missing. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/diary/cantenucci04/2015/01/07/muslim-reformation-possible/

Draggingtree
Is a Muslim Reformation possible? (part 2)

By: cantenucci04 (Diary) | January 7th, 2015 at 09:26 AM

This is the second part of my thoughts on al-Sisi’s speech but will be more broadly about the roots of Muslim antisemitism and resistance to assimilating into the modern world.

To all the people who hate Jews and say Jews all over the world are evil I ask the following question: what have the Jews done to you? Even if you hate Israel and believe that gov’t has oppressed the Palestinians, (obviously not true) are all Israelis responsible for the actions and policies of their gov’t? Of course not, just like all Palestinians aren’t responsible for the horrible actions of Hamas. But even if you were to make the insane claim that all Israelis are responsible for what Israel does because they’re Israeli citizens and therefore support what their gov’t does, what about the rest of the Jews around the world who don’t live in Israel? Why do you hate them?

Surely they can’t be guilty or have blood on their hands for the fighting between Israel and Palestine, right? So the only explanation is you were brainwashed as a young child into believing all Jews are evil because they are an evil race who have oppressed Muslims throughout history (again, not true). Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/diary/cantenucci04/2015/01/07/muslim-reformation-possible-part-2/

Sisi’s Return to Business as Usual

Jan. 13 2015

A string of Egyptian court rulings has slowly but surely been sending a message to liberals and hard-liners alike: business as usual is back. The biggest of these decision came yesterday, as an appeals court overturned former President Hosni Mubarak’s last remaining conviction. The Financial Times reports:

(Snip)

Mubarak’s old kleptocratic cronies, who still occupy many prominent government positions, will breathe a sigh of relief; liberals who had high hopes for the Arab Spring in Egypt will feel the latest in a series of deep disappointments. But there’s something for them, too: another court ordered the release of a group of men arrested in a raid on a gay bathhouse. And a third ordered a retrial (and probable eventual release) of three al Jazeera journalists who have been jailed for over a year.

The message is clear—there’s a little bit for everyone (or a lot if you’re a regime supporter), provided you’re not Muslim Brotherhood and/or that you don’t challenge the regime. The Al Jazeera ruling also placates Western governments and Qatar, with whom Saudi Arabia is trying to reconcile.

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...

January 25, 2015

El-Sisi Modifies Stance on Islamic Reform at Davos

By Michele Antaki

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Thursday, Egyptian President Abdelfattah el-Sisi had strong words against global terrorism and islamic extremism, but he nonetheless took a step back from his now famous al-Azhar New Year’s speech, interpreted as historic by some Western media.

In his address to world leaders Thursday, el-Sisi started by hailing the millions who took to the streets in the wake of recent terrorist attacks that rocked the French capital, comparing them to the crowds that had descended on the Egyptian streets in July 2013 to remove the Muslim Brotherhood from power. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/01/elsisi_modifies_stance_on_islamic_reform_at_davos.html

January 25, 2015

El-Sisi Modifies Stance on Islamic Reform at Davos

At Davos, President el-Sisi used equally emphatic words, but their meaning was not quite the same: “I assert with all firmness that Islam is a religion whose values of tolerance embraced by more than a billion followers should not be evaluated through the acts of criminals and murderers.”

He added that Muslims must “seek reform” and “re-evaluate their positions” so as not to allow a “minority” to “distort” their history, jeopardize their present and threaten their future on the basis of a “mistaken understanding or inadequate interpretation of the principles of religion.”

Not really much of a modification.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Valin

Hope they didn't take him out later to get stoned.

More From MEMRI

http://youtu.be/9tse0PEAq_Y

Published on Jan 30, 2015

On a Friday sermon in the Brooklyn Oulel-Albab Mosque, Imam Tareq Yousef Al-Masri spoke about the terror attacks in Paris, and said that Muslims are like time bombs. He further said that Muslims should admit that they hate Christians. Imam Al-Masri explained that Wahhabi ideology is responsible for instilling hatred in the hearts of Muslims, which leads to terrorism worldwide.

@Valin

Hope they didn't take him out later to get stoned.

More From MEMRI

http://youtu.be/9tse0PEAq_Y

Published on Jan 30, 2015

On a Friday sermon in the Brooklyn Oulel-Albab Mosque, Imam Tareq Yousef Al-Masri spoke about the terror attacks in Paris, and said that Muslims are like time bombs. He further said that Muslims should admit that they hate Christians. Imam Al-Masri explained that Wahhabi ideology is responsible for instilling hatred in the hearts of Muslims, which leads to terrorism worldwide.

@Valin

How convenient.

It saves them from using taqiyya and kitman....and salves whatever minuscule "haram" ort of conscience they possess...on their trek to extinguish other Abrahamic "people of the book" in Dar-al-Harb.

Edited to add: The Imam is a single voice crying in the desert.....but may God bless any good intentions that he has, or can stimulate. I won't hold my breath.

Edited by SrWoodchuck

@SrWoodchuck

Taqiyya

In the Middle East, but especially Islam, the concealment of belief, as a method of self-protection. Taqiyya is allowed, and performed, when necessary to avoid death or injury to oneself or other Muslims. Taqiyya is mainly considered as a part of Shi'i theology or modern-day Islamism.

Taqiyya may be translated with 'fear' and 'caution'. It is closely related to the term katm or kitman, 'concealment'. Taqiyya is in many cases linked with regulations of how Muslims should act with non-Muslims.

The rules concerning the true intention of taqiyya are strict, and abusers of taqiyya will be punished by God.

The permission to conceal the faith is believed to be admitted by the Koran:

(Snip)

Traditionally, a majority of Sunnis will not accept taqiyya, arguing that it is an expression of lack of faith in God. Yet, there are Sunni theologians who defend the use of taqiyya, stating that the faith in the heart is what counts, not outward expressions, like with the historian and theologian at-Tabari (dead 923).

(Snip)

With modern day's immigration to Western societies, it appears that even Sunnis have applied a Shi'i-like use of taqiyya to avoid different problems with their new societies.

Rules as to when taqiyya is permitted and not, has been set down. A Muslim facing corporal punishment or imprisonment may not perform taqiyya to avoid this. A male with family responsibilities may perform taqiyya if his wife(s) and children are in danger.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Point being way too many people use this word without really know what it means, or it's history.

@SrWoodchuck

Taqiyya

In the Middle East, but especially Islam, the concealment of belief, as a method of self-protection. Taqiyya is allowed, and performed, when necessary to avoid death or injury to oneself or other Muslims. Taqiyya is mainly considered as a part of Shi'i theology or modern-day Islamism.

Taqiyya may be translated with 'fear' and 'caution'. It is closely related to the term katm or kitman, 'concealment'. Taqiyya is in many cases linked with regulations of how Muslims should act with non-Muslims.

The rules concerning the true intention of taqiyya are strict, and abusers of taqiyya will be punished by God.

(Snip)

Traditionally, a majority of Sunnis will not accept taqiyya, arguing that it is an expression of lack of faith in God. Yet, there are Sunni theologians who defend the use of taqiyya, stating that the faith in the heart is what counts, not outward expressions, like with the historian and theologian at-Tabari (dead 923).

(Snip)

With modern day's immigration to Western societies, it appears that even Sunnis have applied a Shi'i-like use of taqiyya to avoid different problems with their new societies.

Rules as to when taqiyya is permitted and not, has been set down. A Muslim facing corporal punishment or imprisonment may not perform taqiyya to avoid this. A male with family responsibilities may perform taqiyya if his wife(s) and children are in danger.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Point being way too many people use this word without really know what it means, or it's history.

Thanks for the primer, @Valin.

In other words....they employ a varying & changing concept of the "rules" of their religion.

Based on what the "perfect man" of Islam did in his pre & post-Medina periods.

Based on whether they are in Dar-al-Islam [Lands that are subjected to Islam] ....or.....

......Dar-al-Harb [Lands that remain to BE subjected to Islam]<------BTW: That's the one we're in....with them....right now.

Based on their individual sects & cultures.

Based on their advantage, timing & power at the moment.

Unlike Judeo-Christian ethic....they have excused themselves from the truth, if and when it gives them an advantage.

Once they have the advantage.....Islamic truth, regardless of how bitter to infidels....may be spoken & doled out, with relish.

@SrWoodchuck

Taqiyya

(Snip)

(Snip)

(Snip)

In other words....they employ a varying & changing concept of the "rules" of their religion.

Not unlike every other religion.

@SrWoodchuck

Taqiyya

(Snip)

(Snip)

(Snip)

Not unlike every other religion.

Except the other two, Abrahamic religions, are bound by the Commandments.....as in..... a written command from God.....not a suggestion that's available for interpretation.

You can break a commandment of God, but you invite His wrath & condemnation.....unless you confess & ask for His forgiveness. It's not supposed to be available for interpretation....depending on where you're traveling, who may asking or for what reason.

Witness the high number of Christian & Jewish martyrs in Muslim held lands around the globe....testifying to the truth, at their own peril.