Government Shutdown/Obamacare Thread II

Valin

Hugh Hewitt Show: Austan Goolsbee and Jake Tapper on The Shutdown

Hugh Hewitt

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Heres the audio of my interview with Jake Tapper from earlier today:

transcript is here.

Heres the audio and transcript of my interview with Austan Goolsbee, former Chair of President Obamas Council of Economic Advisors:

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________-

Brit Hume On Todays D.C.

Quite an interview with Brit Hume today. Dont miss it.

The audio is here

The transcript is here:

(Snip)

Just a little blurb from a longer article about the Nat'l Park Service::

"In what looks like a spiteful move, the NPS even removed handles from water spigots along the NChesapeake and Ohio canal where bikers and joggers exercise as well as along the Great Allegheny Passage, just to ensure people don't get any water from them."

Source: http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=52673&utm_content=buffer3b3fd&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

NRO Slideshows Storming the Barrycades

barrycades_1.jpg?itok=-t9VhN0u

Gettysburg National Military Park (Va.): Twitter user Veritas388 crossed the barricades at the Gettysburg memorial on October 5 to snap these pictures at Civil War monuments, holding a sign reading Catch Us If You Can.

barrycades_20.jpg?itok=_HCkR2kO

Grand Canyon National Park (Ariz.): Park officials report handing out 21 citations to citizens since the closure on October 1. All of the citations come with an order to appear in a federal court. The closure prompted this protest by area business owners. (Image: @myhlee)

barrycades_16.jpg?itok=SF2qzD3T

St Patrick school still in #Yosemite, despite the #shutdown#fun (@LisaArgenABC7)

barrycades_28.jpg?itok=LxJGl_Kv

A group of citizens cross the main gate at Zion. (Image: Occupy Our National Parks Facebook)

RACISM!!!

NOT racism! TRUTH!!

You are of course aware that this shut down is all part of the racist Republican Plot to bring back Jim Crow. And that President Obama had no choice but to shut these things down.

‘Six Weeks’

Robert Costa

October 10, 2013 9:24 AM

On Wednesday afternoon, House Republicans huddled for an hour, mingling and conversing on the floor. As they processed a bill to restore death benefits to military families, they mostly discussed the debt ceiling. According to several members, there is a growing consensus, even among conservatives, to pass a six-week extension. “It’ll be for six weeks,” predicts a leadership aide. “People want to get back to spending cuts and Obamacare, and they know that any concessions will come from extended talks, so we’re moving in that direction.”

Officially, the leadership remains undecided, and the House GOP will hold a conference meeting later this morning to debate its next step. But the quiet acceptance of a short-term extension among rank-and-file Republicans gives Speaker John Boehner, who heads to the White House later today, a chance to avert default and eventually craft a larger fiscal bargain. “We’re telling folks, help us here, and we’ll work together moving forward,” says a veteran House Republican. “We know this isn’t perfect, but we’re not living in fantasyland, thinking we can get everything we want before the deadline.”

(Snip)

Not completely clear, but it seems to only address the debt limit for 6 weeks and not gov. "shutdown".

Boehner’s Six-Week Extension Puts Focus Back on Obamacare Fight

By Jonathan Strong

October 10, 2013 1:22 PM

In front of the cameras, Speaker John Boehner has sold his decision to embrace a short-term debt ceiling extension as meeting President Obama “half way.” But the origin of the plan suggets it’s more ambitious than it is modest.

“I actually proposed this idea to Eric Cantor two days ago,” Idaho representative Raul Labrador tells me. “I was seeing that the two issues” — the continuing resolution and the debt ceiling – ”were being conflated, that they were all coming together . . . I wanted to make sure that we separated the two issues so we could continue to fight on Obamacare on the CR and continue to fight on entitlement reform on the debt ceiling,” he adds.

Seen that way, the decision is not about giving ground but simply delaying one fight to dig in on the other. Labrador and the other conservatives who championed it in recent days, including Heritage Action’s president Michael Needham and RedState founder Erick Erickson, want to achieve an Obamacare victory on the CR and then an entitlement-reform victory on the debt ceiling. In the meeting, Labrador spoke in favor of the plan, as did Representative Michele Bachmann.

(Snip)

AP: White House says Obama 'would likely sign' clean, short term bill raising debt cap

Oct. 10, 2013 1:19 PM EDT

The Daily Caller: "Obama rejects GOP debt ceiling compromise."

Both sides agree: White House talks went nowhere.

President Barack Obama has turned down an offer from House Republicans to raise the debt ceiling and allow the federal government to continue borrowing money after it reaches the so-called debt ceiling next week.

After a 90-minute meeting at the White House, Obama and House Republicans issued statements explaining that they had failed to reach agreement.

From the White House:

The President had a good meeting with members of the House Republican Leadership this evening; the meeting lasted approximately an hour and a half. The President, along with the Vice President, Treasury Secretary Lew, Denis McDonough and Rob Nabors listened to the Republicans present their proposal. After a discussion about potential paths forward, no specific determination was made. The President looks forward to making continued progress with members on both sides of the aisle. The President’s goal remains to ensure we pay the bills we’ve incurred, reopen the government and get back to the business of growing the economy, creating jobs and strengthening the middle class.

From House Speaker John Boehner:

This evening in the Roosevelt Room, the leaders laid out the House proposal to temporarily extend the debt limit, formally appoint budget negotiators, and begin immediate discussions over how to re-open the government. No final decisions were made; however, it was a useful and productive conversation. The President and leaders agreed that communication should continue throughout the night. House Republicans remain committed to good faith negotiations with the president, and we are pleased there was an opportunity to sit down and begin a constructive dialogue tonight.

Scissors-32x32.png

RACISM!!!

NOT racism! TRUTH!!

You are of course aware that this shut down is all part of the racist Republican Plot to bring back Jim Crow. And that President Obama had no choice but to shut these things down.

Yes, so they say.

The Six Big Takeaways From the Government Shutdown

Nate Silver

October 10, 2013

1. The media is probably overstating the magnitude of the shutdown's political impact.

(Snip)

2. The impact of the 1995-96 shutdowns is overrated in Washington's mythology.

(Snip)

3. Democrats face extremely unfavorable conditions in trying to regain the House.

(Snip)

4. The polling data on the shutdown is not yet all that useful, and we lack data on most important measures of voter preferences.

(Snip)

5. President Obama's change in tactics may be less about a change of heart and more about a change in incentives.

(Snip)

Good Nate Silver article @Valin. We might not like what we hear but the biggest lies we tell ourselves are that we have the winning position.

It's more complicated than that. There are a LOT of moving parts.

• Like 1

Good Nate Silver article @Valin. We might not like what we hear but the biggest lies we tell ourselves are that we have the winning position.

I have not criticized either side in this fight. Reason being there are good solid people on both sides, making good arguments.

• Like 1

Michael Needham: The Strategist Behind the Shutdown

The 31-year-old Stanford business grad explains how he outmaneuvered GOP leaders and why he thinks House Republicans can defund ObamaCare.

STEPHEN MOORE

10/11/13

'I really believe we are in a great position right now," says Michael Needham, the 31-year-old president of Heritage Action, the lobbying arm of the nation's largest conservative think tank. By "we" he means the Republican Party and the conservative movement; their "great position" refers to the potential to win the political battle over the government shutdown.

(Snip)

Though Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is the public face of the high-risk strategy to "defund" ObamaCare, the masterminds behind it are a new generation of young conservatives, chief among them Mr. Needham. From a tactical view, the strategy has been deployed with precision. In August, only Mr. Cruz and a band of renegade tea-party Republicans in the House favored this approach, and the media collectively scoffed. But by September, House Republicans couldn't pass a budget without attaching the defunding rider that has grounded much of government.

(Snip)

Mr. Needham is a Stanford business-school grad, conservative to the core, uncompromising and skilled in the smash-mouth politics now played in Washington. His first job was as research assistant—then speech writer and eventually chief of staff—for Heritage founder Ed Feulner, who stepped down as president in April. (Full disclosure: I worked for Mr. Feulner from 1983-88.) Mr. Needham's new boss at Heritage is Jim DeMint, the former South Carolina senator whose former aides populate the staff of Sen. Cruz and other conservative groups and work closely with Mr. Needham.

(Snip)

• Like 2

I have not criticized either side in this fight. Reason being there are good solid people on both sides, making good arguments.

I think the one thing that is like to see is better communication. That is always my frustration with all sides of the GOP. The message is everywhere. It ends up creating no message at all.

I think the one thing that is like to see is better communication. That is always my frustration with all sides of the GOP. The message is everywhere. It ends up creating no message at all.

Good communications? From the GOP?

I forget who but someone last week said "when Democrats get mad, they attack Republicans. When Republicans get mad they attack each other."

From the Vietnam Vets Memorial

Scott Johnson

10/12/13

A reader writes with a report from the Mall in DC yesterday:

My wife and I were in DC from Minneapolis [yesterday], and we thought we would see what this shutdown is all about. At the Lincoln Memorial I talked a couple from California into walking past the ridiculous barriers where the signs state that the monument is closed aside from “First Amendment activities.”

(Snip)

I have spent the day reading about this from as many angles as I can think of. Left, right, establishment, libertarian, black, white, main stream, new media, etc.

I have come up with these conclusions:

1. This will not resolve itself like other shutdowns have been resolved because it essentially represents a dangerous divide in the vales of Americans. And no one is in the mood to negotiate, let alone compromise.

2. The Dems are no less divided than the GOP but the mask of power makes those divisions easier to ignore because it seems like you are ahead.

3. Poll results are idiotic. Huge numbers of the American people believe we are on the wrong track. Well duh! The fact half believe we should be headed one way and half believe we should be headed in the other is the whole reason we are at an impasse. No need to poll that for crying out loud. Also, if a pollster asked me who I thought started this I would say the GOP. That doesn't mean that I disagree with the GOP it just means that they are the majority in congress and therefore the only ones that can make this happen.

4. This would not have been my strategy, but it is going now and so I am praying something positive will come from the mess.

Other than that...nothing.

• Like 1

I have spent the day reading about this from as many angles as I can think of. Left, right, establishment, libertarian, black, white, main stream, new media, etc.

I have come up with these conclusions:

1. This will not resolve itself like other shutdowns have been resolved because it essentially represents a dangerous divide in the vales of Americans. And no one is in the mood to negotiate, let alone compromise.

2. The Dems are no less divided than the GOP but the mask of power makes those divisions easier to ignore because it seems like you are ahead.

3. Poll results are idiotic. Huge numbers of the American people believe we are on the wrong track. Well duh! The fact half believe we should be headed one way and half believe we should be headed in the other is the whole reason we are at an impasse. No need to poll that for crying out loud. Also, if a pollster asked me who I thought started this I would say the GOP. That doesn't mean that I disagree with the GOP it just means that they are the majority in congress and therefore the only ones that can make this happen.

4. This would not have been my strategy, but it is going now and so I am praying something positive will come from the mess.

Other than that...nothing.

1. applause.gif

2. What we are seeing is just more more battle in an ongoing war. One way of putting it is a small question...Who is in charge, Washington or The States.

3. This shutdown battle is a good thing, and needs to happen. It's messy, really confusing, but is a good thing.

"2. The Dems are no less divided than the GOP but the mask of power makes those divisions easier to ignore because it seems like you are ahead."

Sources....Thanks.

• Like 1