BEFORE AP: DOJ TARGETED FOX NEWS' JAMES ROSEN

Geee

Obama-Administration-Pursued-Cases-Like-AP-s-In-2009Breitbart:

The Obama Administration, which has pursued more cases involving leaks from the government to the press than all other administrations combined, has been acting in this fashion since 2009, well before the current AP scandal. A case in point is thecase of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, who was a State Department arms expert with security clearance, and his leaks to James Rosen of Fox News.

Rosen wrote on his blog that U.S. intelligence officials felt that North Korea would respond to United Nations sanctions with more nuclear tests. That information was apparently given him by Kim.

Even though it has not been proven to this day that it’s illegal for a reporter to solicit information, because of the First Amendment’s protection of the press, the Obama Administration went to work. The Justice Department not only grabbed Rosen’s telephone records, they used security badge access records to track the Rosen’s visits to the State Department, traced the timing of his calls with Kim, and obtained a search warrant for Rosen’s e-mails.

The Justice Department has claimed in both the AP and Kim cases that it had obeyed “all applicable laws, regulations, and longstanding Department of Justice policies intended to safeguard the First Amendment interests of the press in reporting the news and the public in receiving it.”Scissors-32x32.png

Washington Post

Ann E. Marimow

5/19/13

When the Justice Department began investigating possible leaks of classified information about North Korea in 2009, investigators did more than obtain telephone records of a working journalist suspected of receiving the secret material.

They used security badge access records to track the reporters comings and goings from the State Department, according to a newly obtained court affidavit. They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporters personal e-mails.

The case of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, the government adviser, and James Rosen, the chief Washington correspondent for Fox News, bears striking similarities to a sweeping leaks investigation disclosed last week in which federal investigators obtained records over two months of more than 20 telephone lines assigned to the Associated Press

(Snip)

Obama last week defended the Justice Departments handling of the investigation involving the AP, which is focused on who leaked information to the news organization about a foiled plot involving the al-Qaeda affiliate in Yemen. AP executives and First Amendment watchdogs have criticized the Justice Department in part for the broad scope of the phone records it secretly subpoenaed from AP offices in Washington, Hartford, Conn., and New York.

(I always suspected James Rosen of being an anti-American spy)sarcasm

He is one of the straight stand up guys

Also a Fox producer and William LaJennese(sp) another reporter. Wonder how many other of these drips drips are going to come out?

Can anyone imagine the Libs and Media outrage if this were GWB and John Ashcroft targeting Chris Matthews and Piers Morgan?

REMEMBER WHEN FOX NEWS WASN’T ‘REAL NEWS’?

We now know that the Justice Department kept exceptionally close tabs on Fox News reporter James Rosen in 2010, following his trips in and out of the State Department, hacking his personal emails and phone calls. Normal newsgathering activities are being treated as criminal activities by the White House. But consider what the same White House had to say about Fox News back in 2009.

You might remember the concerted effort by White House officials to brand the right-leaning Fox News as a bogus news outlet, unworthy of attention. I’m not talking administration partners like Media Matters or Think Progress, but high ranking officials.

There was Anita Dunn, then communications director, who attempted to defang Fox coverage of the White House by claiming:

They are — they’re widely viewed as, you know, part of the Republican Party. Take their talking points and put them on the air. Take their opposition research and put them on the air, and that’s fine. But let’s not pretend they’re a news network the way CNN is.

Scissors-32x32.png

Justice Department’s scrutiny of Fox News reporter James Rosen in leak case draws fire

Ann E. Marimow

5/20/13

Journalists, First Amendment watchdogs and government transparency advocates reacted with outrage Monday to the revelation that the Justice Department had investigated the newsgathering activities of a Fox News reporter as a potential crime in a probe of classified leaks.

Critics said the government’s suggestion that James Rosen, Fox News’s chief Washington correspondent, was a “co-conspirator” for soliciting classified information threatened to criminalize press freedoms protected by the First Amendment. Others also suggested that the Justice Department’s claim in pursuing an alleged leak from the State Department was little more than pretext to seize his e-mails to build their case against the suspected leaker.

(Snip)

Steven Aftergood, director of the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists, said, “Asking for information has never been deemed a crime.”

Placing here as well.

----

Sharyl Attkisson's computers compromised

Sharyl Attkisson, the Emmy-award winning CBS News investigative reporter, says that her personal and work computers have been compromised and are under investigation.

"I can confirm that an intrusion of my computers has been under some investigation on my end for some months but I'm not prepared to make an allegation against a specific entity today as I've been patient and methodical about this matter," Attkisson told POLITICO on Tuesday. "I need to check with my attorney and CBS to get their recommendations on info we make public."

In an earlier interview with WPHT Philadelphia, Attkisson said that though she did not know the full details of the intrustion, "there could be some relationship between these things and what's happened to James [Rosen]," the Fox News reporter who became the subject of a Justice Dept. investigation after reporting on CIA intelligence about North Korea in 2009.

Scissors-32x32.png

Placing here as well.

----

Sharyl Attkisson, the Emmy-award winning CBS News investigative reporter, says that her personal and work computers have been compromised and are under investigation.

"I can confirm that an intrusion of my computers has been under some investigation on my end for some months but I'm not prepared to make an allegation against a specific entity today as I've been patient and methodical about this matter," Attkisson told POLITICO on Tuesday. "I need to check with my attorney and CBS to get their recommendations on info we make public."

In an earlier interview with WPHT Philadelphia, Attkisson said that though she did not know the full details of the intrustion, "there could be some relationship between these things and what's happened to James [Rosen]," the Fox News reporter who became the subject of a Justice Dept. investigation after reporting on CIA intelligence about North Korea in 2009.

Scissors-32x32.png

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

We should file this under...What Were They Thinking!

Placing here as well.

----

Scissors-32x32.png

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

We should file this under...What Were They Thinking!

Bret Baier: Justice Department targeted James Rosen’s parents as well

On Tuesday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, host Bret Baier revealed that the intrusions into James Rosen’s privacy went beyond Rosen himself and also involved his parents.

Baier laid out the specifics of Rosen’s situation during the panel segment, first reported by The Washington Post earlier this week.Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://dailycaller.com/2013/05/22/bret-baier-justice-department-targeted-james-rosens-parents-as-well/

REPORT: DOJ SEIZED RECORDS OF FIVE FOX NEWS PHONE NUMBERS

The Obama Justice Department has seized the phone records of numbers that are associated with White House staffers and, apparently, with Fox News reporters, according to a document filed on October 13, 2011, in the case of Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, a former State Department contractor accused of violating the Espionage Act for allegedly leaking classified information to James Rosen, a Fox News reporter. Ronald C. Machen, Jr., the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, who is prosecuting the case, has seized records associated with two phone numbers at the White House, at least five numbers associated with Fox News, and one that has the same area code and exchange as Rosen’s personal-cell-phone number (the last four numbers are redacted).Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/05/21/Report-DOJ-Seized-Records-of-Five-Fox-News-Phone-Records

U.S. ATTORNEY INVESTIGATING FOX NEWS DONATED TO OBAMA

The US Attorney for the District of Columbia, Ronald C. Machen - the man responsible for the aggressive surveillance and phone record scrutiny at Fox News - is also a big donor to the Obama Campaigns. At the time of his appointment, the Washington Post wrote a profile on Machen including this tidbit:
Over the years, he has donated $4,350 to Obama's campaigns. He gave $250 to Obama's U.S. Senate campaign in 2003, a year before Obama, then an Illinois state senator, emerged on the nation's political radar, according to campaign finance records.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/21/US-Attorney-Investigating-Fox-News-Big-Obama-Donor

Even The The Left Gets It.

Justice Department's Overreaching on Leaks Threatens Freedom of the Press

Gabe Rottman

A week after the Department of Justice notified the Associated Press that it had secretly seized records for more than 20 phone lines in a leak investigation, The Washington Post uncovered an overlooked search warrant in another leak case that raises similar – and perhaps more serious – constitutional concerns.

(Snip)

Stephen Kim, an analyst with the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, is now under indictment for that leak. He has pled not guilty, and his case is one of the six ongoing leak investigations under the Obama administration (twice as many cases as have ever been prosecuted under all previous administrations combined).

(Snip)

There are a couple of angles here that make the Rosen warrant unique and uniquely troubling.

In recognition of the special status of news gathering under the First Amendment, a federal law—the Privacy Protection Act—bars federal investigators from demanding materials from reporters unless there is probable cause to believe that the reporter himself has committed a crime. That's exactly what the FBI claimed here—that "Reporter has committed or is committing a violation of [the Espionage Act], as an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator." (The Espionage Act is the primary statute used to target "leaks," and bars the unauthorized disclosure of classified information if the person doing the disclosing has reason to know disclosure could harm the United States).

What's astonishing here is that never before has the government argued that simple newsgathering—that is, asking a source to comment on a news story—is itself illegal. That would, quite literally, make virtually any question by a reporter implicating classified information a potential felony........(Snip)

Bret Baier: Justice Department targeted James Rosen’s parents as well

On Tuesday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel, host Bret Baier revealed that the intrusions into James Rosen’s privacy went beyond Rosen himself and also involved his parents.

Baier laid out the specifics of Rosen’s situation during the panel segment, first reported by The Washington Post earlier this week.Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://dailycaller.com/2013/05/22/bret-baier-justice-department-targeted-james-rosens-parents-as-well/

Ann Coulter ‏@AnnCoulter 21 May
MSNBC wasn’t worried about the White House reading their emails. Most MSNBC emails were to the White House.

Claim: Holder 'Beginning to Feel a Creeping Sense of Personal Remorse'

DANIEL HALPER

5/28/13

President Barack Obama's attorney general, Eric Holder, is "beginning to feel a creeping sense of personal remorse." The feelings of "remorse" began for Holder after he read an article in the Washington Post about how the Justice Department, which he heads, investigated Fox News reporter James Rosen.

At least, this is the story unnamed aides are telling the Daily Beast.

"[F]or Attorney General Eric Holder, the gravity of the situation didnt fully sink in until Monday morning when he read the Posts front-page story, sitting at his kitchen table. Quoting from the affidavit, the story detailed how agents had tracked Rosens movements in and out of the State Department, perused his private emails, and traced the timing of his calls to the State Department security adviser suspected of leaking to him. Then the story, quoting the stark, clinical language of the affidavit, described Rosen as 'at the very least ... an aider, abettor and/or co-conspirator' in the crime," reports the Daily Beast.

"Holder knew that Justice would be besieged by the twin leak probes; but, according to aides, he was also beginning to feel a creeping sense of personal remorse."

(Snip)

Hey Eric....I got your personal remorse....right here.

Holder in trouble: Why can’t they just tell the truth?

Jennifer Rubin

May 28, 2013

The Hill reports:

The House Judiciary Committee is investigating whether Attorney General Eric Holder lied under oath during his May 15 testimony on the Justice Department’s (DOJ) surveillance of reporters, an aide close to the matter told The Hill.

The panel is looking at a statement Holder made during a back and forth with Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) about whether the DOJ could prosecute reporters under the Espionage Act of 1917.

“In regard to potential prosecution of the press for the disclosure of material — this is not something I’ve ever been involved in, heard of, or would think would be wise policy,” Holder said during the hearing.

As I and some other right-leaning journalists pointed out last week, this cannot be squared with the revelation that Holder signed off on the James Rosen search warrant.

The catch is this: If Holder never considered prosecution of journalists including Rosen, then the affidavit laying out a purported criminal case against Rosen was a ruse, a false statement under oath, directed to the court to conduct a wide-ranging dragnet. If, on the other hand, the affidavit which Holder signed off on is true in laying out the case against Rosen, then he didn’t level with Congress. In either event, he needs to come back and explain himself. If he refuses or takes the Fifth, there is no alternative but to name a special prosecutor.

(Snip)

My gut tells me Holder will be the next to feel the treads of the ObamaBus.

Sad thing is he'll be replaced with a clone or worse... all courtesy of the Bystander in Chief.

Sad thing is he'll be replaced with a clone or worse... all courtesy of the Bystander in Chief.

Maybe....remember he knows where a lot of bones are buried.

Wow. That could be dangerous for himohmy.png

Wow. That could be dangerous for him:o

Wow. That could be dangerous for him:o

He may be forced to resign (or not) but is that the same as being thrown under the bus? Also Eric is a big boy.

Draggingtree

The Perjury Rap Sheet of an Attorney General

May 29, 2013 By Arnold Ahlert

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder remains in the eye of a largely self-inflicted storm. The House Judiciary Committee is initiating an investigation into whether Holder lied under oath when he testified before the Committee on May 15th regarding the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) seizure of Fox News reporter James Rosen’s emails. Furthermore, in a revelation likely to add weight to that investigation, The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza reports that the DOJ essentially went “judge shopping” to procure a search warrant to access Rosen’s files. snip

Thus, Holder’s track record for truth-telling is tattered at best. Yet even as the House Judiciary Committee proceeds, the left has begun circling the wagons around the embattled Attorney General. A Daily Beast column, “Holder Regrets and Repairs,” which contends the embattled Attorney General is, according to aides, “beginning to feel a creeping sense of personal remorse,” is a pathetically transparent effort aimed at rehabilitating Holder’s image. snip

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/arnold-ahlert/the-perjury-rap-sheet-of-an-attorney-general/