Explosion hits fertilizer plant north of Waco, Texas

clearvision

clearvision

?hpt=hp_t3CNN:

An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas and may have caused dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up at the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.

-----------------

Breaking "local" news. Could be bad.

clearvision

A large explosion rocked the town of West, Texas, 19 miles north of Waco, on Wednesday evening.

A source tells News 8 that a large swath of the small town with a population of 2,800 has been leveled.

According to initial reports, the blast shortly before 8 p.m. was at the West Fertilizer plant at 1471 Jerry Mashek Drive, about a half-mile east of Interstate 35.

The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed there were multiple injuries.

An emergency dispatcher appealed for more more help. "I need anybody and everybody," she said.

At least 10 structures are on fire in the town, including a school which is next door to the plant.

clearvision

The spokesman, D.L. Wilson, added that a nearby nursing home collapsed from the blast and that people were believed to be trapped inside.

clearvision

The West Fertilizer facility had an anhydrous ammonia explosion, Waco Assistant Fire Chief Don Yeager told AFP by phone. The cause was not immediately known.

clearvision

The nursing home does not look good. Hopefully they were not in their rooms and in some place not hit so hard.

clearvision

hortly after 9 p.m., Vanek was talking to personnel near the scene, visibly upset with his head in his hands, bent over at the waist. One of the people speaking with Vanek said “he lost a lot of his buddies out there.”

Asked if he knew if any of the firefighters were killed, Vanek replied, “I fear for the worst, but I’m praying for the best.”

hortly after 9 p.m., Vanek was talking to personnel near the scene, visibly upset with his head in his hands, bent over at the waist. One of the people speaking with Vanek said “he lost a lot of his buddies out there.”

Asked if he knew if any of the firefighters were killed, Vanek replied, “I fear for the worst, but I’m praying for the best.”

There are some very bad numbers being stated on Twitter, but hopefully, like most first reports, they are wrong.

clearvision

West EMS Director Dr. George Smith says as many as 60 or 70 people died and hundreds were injured Wednesday night in a fertilizer plant explosion in West.

A rescuer earlier said he knew of five deaths.

Meanwhile, emergency crews were pulling back late Wednesday night because of concerns about the possibility of a second explosion.

Emergency crews from throughout Central Texas responded just before 8 p.m. Wednesday after the first explosion at the plant in the small town north of Waco.

clearvision

Smith on CNN now, very shaky, does not seem to have exact numbers, lots of guessing, says 3 to 7 deaths. He expects more from what he is hearing..... I'm leery of this guy being the main source for all of this 60 to 70 people dead.

clearvision

60 homes, 1 apartment, 1 nursing home flattened or heavily damaged. Like a nuclear bomb says Mayor, who is also a fire fighter, was on the way to the fire when the explosion happened.

clearvision

local resident on the phone, fire fighters wife.... her house was destroyed, dogs dead, she and her mom were either outside, or elsewhere, and she says they would be dead if in house.

clearvision

I fear the biggest loss will be the first responders and fire fighters trying to put out the blaze before the explosion.

clearvision

CNN videos are devastating. Vehicles and houses with blown out windows, perforations from flying debris, folded metal. So sad.

saveliberty

I am just reading about this now, in the NY Post - they have old coverage. Thank you for posting, @clearvision.

'Like a nuclear bomb': Deadly fertilizer plant blast devastates Texas town

By Lateef Mungin, CNN

updated 3:28 AM EDT, Thu April 18, 2013

Source: CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Fire officials fear casualties could rise as high as 70 dead
  • The danger may not be over
  • Firefighters are concerned about anhydrous ammonia
  • "It has been overwhelming," a resident says

Are you there? <a href="http://ireport.cnn.com/community/assignment">Please send photos and videos to iReport, but please stay safe.

Scissors-32x32.png

(CNN) -- The full extent of the devastation will have to wait until the light of day Thursday. But residents of the small Texas town of West already know what to expect.

"There are a lot of people that got hurt," West Mayor Tommy Muska forewarned Wednesday night. "There are a lot of people that will not be here tomorrow."

A massive explosion at a fertilizer plant on the edge of the town killed at least two people, wounded more than 150, leveled dozens of homes and prompted authorities to evacuate half their community of 2,800

saveliberty

Lord Jesus, please be swift to welcome those who have died into Your Heavenly Kingdom. Please grant love and healing to those who are suffering and afflicted and please help us to help them. Amen.

• Like 1

I am just reading about this now, in the NY Post - they have old coverage. Thank you for posting, @clearvision.

'Like a nuclear bomb': Deadly fertilizer plant blast devastates Texas town

Anhydrous Ammonia is really nasty stuff.

Anhydrous-Ammonia-Chemical-Label-LB-1591-013.gif

And it is everywhere. Just something to remember when driving down the road and seeing the above (or similar sign) on a tanker truck.