Coffee Shop

Rheo

Republican ahead in race for Giffords’ former seat

Paul Mirengoff

11/8/12

Republican Martha McSally holds a very fragile 400 vote lead over Democrat Ron Barber in the race for Arizona’s Second Congressional District, formerly held by Gabrielle Giffords. McSally is a retired United States Air Force colonel. She was the first American woman to fly in combat following the 1991 lifting of the prohibition of women in combat, and the first woman to command a USAF fighter squadron. Barber was a career bureaucrat and a congressional staffer for Gabrielle Gifford whom he succeeded in Congress.

More than 228,000 votes have been counted. However, it appears that more than 70,000 have not.

(Snip)

Pulling for McSally. Terrfic lady. However, so was Mia Lovesad.png

• Like 1

George P. Bush eyes campaign in Texas

George P. Bush has filed the paperwork necessary for a bid for office in Texas, the latest sign the rising GOP star will run for something next year.

The Hispanic son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush ® is a Texas-based GOP consultant and heads the Hispanic Republicans of Texas. He's been viewed as a rising star in Texas Republican politics, and on top of his family connections is known as a compelling speaker and savvy campaign strategist. Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 2

Bret Baier ‏@BretBaier

President Obama: "At a time when our economy is still recovering from the Great Recession, our top priority has to be jobs & growth."

Bret Baier ‏@BretBaier

President Obama: "I am not wedded to every detail of my plan--I am open to compromise."

---

We'll be watching that.

POTUS: Senate has passed a bill, need House to act - I've got my pen and I'm ready to sign

Retweeted by Bret Baier

Which bill would that be? See how the blaming of the House is going to go.

Petraeus(sp) just resigned?? Details to follow as they say.

UPDATE

Central Intelligence Agency Director David Petraeus has resigned, citing an extra-marital affair, NBC News reported.

"Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position," Petraeus said in his resignation letter. "After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."

"This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation," Petraeus said in the letter.

Refresh fhttp://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/NATL-CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns-Cites-Extra-Marital-Affair-for more updates to this breaking story.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/NATL-CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns-Cites-Extra-Marital-Affair-178159541.html

Just saw this headline... "JCPenney: With Sales Sliding, Believers Getting Harder to Find

By Chris Nichols | Daily Ticker – 1 hour 45 minutes ago"

Huge irony there. Ever since they made a very public point of depicting same sex couples in their sale ads, I've used my Constitutional right to forget JCPenney exists.

• Like 1

From an e-mail today:

+ A 2,500-Year-Old Letter Written for Today

I want to share with you a letter that, although 2,500 years old, it could have been written this morning. For us. For faithful patriots who feel like they just discovered they will have to live at least the next four years in exile. This letter was written to Jewish exiles who had been pushed out of Jerusalem and forced to live under a tyrannical ruler named Nebuchadnezzar.

The exiles wanted one thing: they wanted to be re-established back in Israel. They even had a prophet named Hananiah come to them and tell them that their time of exile would only last two years. You can read about it in Jeremiah 28.

Hananiah was a false prophet. He died.

And so Jeremiah wrote a letter to the exiles. You've probably heard a part of that letter recited many times. It's one of the most commonly quoted passages in the entire Bible. Unfortunately, this passage is mostly taken out of its proper context and delivered as a "feel good" word that everything is going to be O.K. One of my friends was quoting this verse yesterday morning:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
"

Those words sound so good. The future is bright. God has a plan for prosperity, for a real hope and a real future. On the eve of the election, it must have meant a Romney win, the GOP takes the Senate and we start the rollback of the Obama regime, right? Not exactly.

+ + The Plan Was Exile

Here's the shocking context of Jeremiah 29 (and I offer to you, the context for November 6, 2012): the plan was exile. That was the "plan" Jeremiah's letter was talking about. I encourage you to go read all of Jeremiah 29. Here is the immediate context:

This is what the Lord says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you ..."

The plan was 70 years of exile. Keep that in mind the next time someone quotes Jeremiah 29:11 to encourage you that your time of trouble will soon end. Not only was the exile going to last 70 years, the exile WAS the plan!

If you don't believe me, go back and read the beginning of the letter, from Jeremiah 29:4. Here you'll see the Lord (through Jeremiah) giving the Jewish exiles specific instructions on how to conduct themselves in exile:

--Build houses and settle down.

--Plan gardens and eat what they produce.

--Marry and have sons and daughters.

--Marry off your sons and daughters so they can have children.

--Increase in number; do not decrease

Again, remember the context. A false prophet had just come and said the time of exile would only last two years. That prophet died. The truth is, the people will be in exile for 70 years. And the directive is to build families, grow businesses, think trans-generationally and increase.

+ + Seek the Welfare of the Land

It gets better. Because Jeremiah's letter makes it clear that building and marrying is not enough. People in exile must do something else -- they must be a blessing to the land.

"Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper."

So let's review. First, the plan is exile. Second, build. Third, bless. Simple, clear instructions.

But why was this important? Why a "plan" for exile with specific instructions on how to act in exile?

Historians tell us it was during the Babylonian captivity that the Israelites moved from a Temple/Jerusalem focused society to a synagogue and community focused society. Simply put ...It was the lessons learned during their time in exile which enabled the Jews to survive 2,500 years in exile. But not just survive -- but to thrive and become the most prosperous, most successful and most innovative people group in the history of civilization. Exile was the plan.

So that's why, today, I'm going to build. And I'm going to plant. I'm going to bless. And I'm going to pray.

For that is the final piece to the puzzle ...

"Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

So let's get building. Let's get planting. And let's get praying. And let's bless this land. There are lessons to be learned in exile.

Steve Elliott, Grassfire

SrWoodchuck this is the passage I was hoping for a link to. I googled Grassfire and Steve Elliot but couldn't find this.

Thanks.

@tapper47

Sorry about that.....I got as an e-mail, so went back and got this link.....hope it works for you!

http://grassrootsact...=7&RID=31025852

Edited to add: I found this @ the link.....I think he'd be alright with sharing:

P.S. If this message is an encouragement to you, please share it with your friends by using the tools below. Thanks!

• Like 1

Obama's plans for his next term.....look closely at how things are going to be better......it's optimal!

you+figure+it+out.jpg

H/T:TheFeralIrishman

Since Obama's FEMA at hard at work in New Jersey, New Yorkers have to fend for themselves.

Residents displaced by Sandy are staring at life in Staten Island 'jail'

Will they be able to Pass Go & Collect $200?

I have a question:

I heard that insurance payments may be cut or denied, due to the fact that Sandy became a Tropical Storm shortly after landfall, and so moved out of a higher risk category of Hurricane. The major part of the damage appears to be "Storm Surge" though, happening before landfall & caused by Hurricane Sandy. Does that not change the classification?

@SrWoodchuck

And some insurance covers flood damage and some excludes it specifically.

Anyway you look at it, those who suffered loss of family, loss of home, damage, due to Sandy are triple screwed... plus they get Obama, Cankles, little Nappy and FEMA for 4 more years.

Since Obama's FEMA at hard at work in New Jersey, New Yorkers have to fend for themselves.

Residents displaced by Sandy are staring at life in Staten Island 'jail'

Will they be able to Pass Go & Collect $200?

I have a question:

I heard that insurance payments may be cut or denied, due to the fact that Sandy became a Tropical Storm shortly after landfall, and so moved out of a higher risk category of Hurricane. The major part of the damage appears to be "Storm Surge" though, happening before landfall & caused by Hurricane Sandy. Does that not change the classification?

I think that is why the media and political talking heads are all calling it "SuperStorm" Sandy. They don't want to use hurricane as insurance companies benefit, and they don't want to say TS Sandy as that is boring.

• Like 1

So, here's a little something that should be looked into regarding this election. If this was said in 2004, what does it mean for 2012? (I'm not suggesting this election was stolen, but we do need to look into this on a bipartisan basis.)

I dunno, I someone made a point that the number of Republican votes have been declining by millions each Presidential election.

There is a case to be made that people are tuning out.