Election Day 2012 LIVE THREAD

clearvision

@pollyannaish

You can add also the MSM as a factor : Zero has 90% of the alphabetic media actively portraying him as the next Lincoln while actively suppressing anything negative about Zero.

• Like 1

But at the end of the day, it is the people who vote. I'm sorry but all the candidates do not get their marching orders from the party.

America voted against achievement. We voted for our own selfishness on the backs of our children's future. We are either too lazy or too blind to see the difference. We did vote with our lady parts afterall. And our lazy parts and our selfish parts.

I am now convinced that more people in this country want European style government than don't. Freedom has lost to security.

It is going to get bad @Valin. But I don't blame the party. This was bigger then the men running. Mitt and his team ran a good campaign. This was about the values the people of this country now have. THAT is what is depressing to me. We can change candidates, we can change messengers, we can change advisors... But we can't change the fact that our country chose the Sandra flukes over the Mia loves and the Elizabeth warrens over the Scott browns. That is a values problem, not a strategic one.

It's Not the Economy After All, Is It?

katievs

11/7/12

The Republican establishment had a definite strategy. Stay away from controversial issues, focus on jobs and the economy, look high-minded, moderate and presidential. Romney did that, brilliantly. Social cons went along. We implicitly agreed to lie low and vote, as long as our candidate discretely mentioned he was pro-life and pro-marriage. Then we crossed our fingers, said our prayers, and hoped the silent majority would arise.

Turns out, we're not a majority anymore. Turns out that social issues trump economic issues for the left. They don't care if the economy is in the toilet. They want abortion and free birth control and same-sex marriage. Like Marx, they're out to marginalize the Church and break down the family. Their voters want hand-outs, not personal responsibility.

The cultural and moral aggressions of the left have gone much farther than we'd hoped in eroding the foundations of the civil society.

(Snip)

I have decided most people don't think a lot and the ones who voted for Obama like him because they think he is cool. Simple as that.

@nickydog

People felt instead of thought = paraphrasing Frank L. He said conservatives definitely need to change how their message is communicated to others, but in that process, the would not need to change their core values. Actually well said, Hannity had him on for a few minutes today. Basically, conservatives (himself included) could benefit by listening and being empathetic = the reality of today's masses.

It's Not the Economy After All, Is It?

katievs

11/7/12

The Republican establishment had a definite strategy. Stay away from controversial issues, focus on jobs and the economy, look high-minded, moderate and presidential. Romney did that, brilliantly. Social cons went along. We implicitly agreed to lie low and vote, as long as our candidate discretely mentioned he was pro-life and pro-marriage. Then we crossed our fingers, said our prayers, and hoped the silent majority would arise.

Turns out, we're not a majority anymore. Turns out that social issues trump economic issues for the left. They don't care if the economy is in the toilet. They want abortion and free birth control and same-sex marriage. Like Marx, they're out to marginalize the Church and break down the family. Their voters want hand-outs, not personal responsibility.

The cultural and moral aggressions of the left have gone much farther than we'd hoped in eroding the foundations of the civil society.

(Snip)

Rush: You can't beat 'Santa'

121107_limbaugh_santa_obama_ap_328.jpg

Rush Limbaugh says voters view Barack Obama as the Christmas icon. | AP Photos

By KEVIN CIRILLI | 11/7/12 2:18 PM EST

Rush Limbaugh said on Wednesday one of the main reasons President Barack Obama won reelection was because voters viewed him as “Santa Claus.”

“Conservatism, in my humble opinion, did not lose last night. It’s just very difficult to beat Santa Claus. It is practically impossible to beat Santa Claus. People are not going to vote against Santa Claus, especially if the alternative is being your own Santa Claus,” Limbaugh said on his radio program Wednesday, according to a show transcript. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83517.html#ixzz2BaDRXbY5

• Like 1

Party registration is up. Affiliation higher than democrats. We just can't motivate our party to vote. And we can't count on the dens to do it either.

@Draggingtree

You can't beat 'Santa'

Rush nailed it with that. As I said this morning...We got some work to do.

It starts with how we communicate with the left.

http://www.luntzglobal.com/

Frank Luntz, it's now what you say, it's what they hear

Agree! Of course it also helps to have something worth saying. I wonder how many people at the RNC have something really worth saying?

If you'd like Valin, I can recite about 15 different transcripts from RNC robocalls for you. I'm not sure if they really had anything worth hearing though. I only memorized them because I heard them so often.

After The Elections: Where Is America Now? It’s is Dead, That’s Where

November 7, 2012 | Filed under 2012 Presidential Race,2nd Amendment,Barack Obama,Big government,corruption,Culture Of Corruption,Democrats,Education,Elections,Liberals,Politicians,Politics,Republicans | Posted by Warner Todd Huston

Due to the re-election of Barack Hussein Obama, the United States is officially a failed experiment. In fact, his election in the first place in 2008 signaled the end.

Because so few of you people out there know anything about history any more, I’ll have to explain that opening line above. You see, the founders considered the United States an experiment in self-government. As Ben Franklin is said to have remarked upon leaving the first Constitutional Convention, the founders had given us a republic “if you can keep it.”

By that, Franklin meant that it would be up to our citizens to a). learn what the United States means, B). come to understand it’s philosophy and governing systems, and c). vote accordingly. We have now officially come to an era where only the tiniest handful of Americans have this understanding and the bulk of those voting are uninformed. Worse, they aren’t just uninformed, they are uninterested.

Oh, Barack Obama isn’t the cause of America’s failure. But he is the ultimate result. He is the result of a citizenry that knows nothing about its own country. He is the result of citizens that no longer care about their country and only care about themselves.

Barack Obama is the ultimate example of how anti-American the Democrat Party is today. The Democrats oppose nearly every single truly American principle that the founders gave us.

Democrats oppose Scissors-32x32.png http://wizbangblog.com/2012/11/07/after-the-elections-where-is-america-now-its-is-dead-thats-where/

@Draggingtree

You can't beat 'Santa'

Rush nailed it with that. As I said this morning...We got some work to do.

It starts with how we communicate with the left.

http://www.luntzglobal.com/

Frank Luntz, it's now what you say, it's what they hear

so you also heard Frank this evening, hope more heard him tongue.png

If you'd like Valin, I can recite about 15 different transcripts from RNC robocalls for you.

I've somehow or other managed to reach this stage of the game without hearing RNC robocalls, so thanks but no thanks.

Even though I may regret partaking in what is surely one of lifes small pleasures, I'll just have to live with the loss.

How on earth was turnout lower than it was for McCain? Are we really that much smaller now?

Assuming the GOP turnout was dramatically lower, perhaps it is because the purists and red litmus card holders decided to teach the rest of us a lesson.... and *&^%-ed all of us in the process.

@Pepper, given that appealing to independents wasn't exactly an effective strategy, it might just be time to take another look at appealing to the red litmus card holders.

How on earth was turnout lower than it was for McCain? Are we really that much smaller now?

I have been pondering this the last two days @pollyannaish, since I found out about the numbers. The explanation in my mind was kind of verified by one of Rush's callers today. "If the candidate is not conservative enough for me-I'm not voting for him". Evidence this by FR. I don't absolve Rush or Levin or some of the others from this either. They ravaged (especially Levin) Romney and then when he turned out to be the candidate, then everyone was to forget it. He wasn't 'conservative enough' for a lot of them. I myself thought that there were many things I was not going to agree with him on if he got voted in, but not enough to vote for the alternative-which is what not voting is in my mind. The #1 qualification for the highest office in the land should be character. Romney had character. That you could count on. The present occupant does not. The President has too many things that have to be done behind closed doors that many of us will never know-I like to think that hose things are being done by someone I can trust. How many other Benghazi type decisions are being made behind our back and how many are to come.

• Like 4

A couple of observations as the data is coming in.

1. The fringe keeps our feet to the fire, but to be blunt they can not govern effectively. I know that Reagan will be thrown up as a guy that could, but to be honest if you go back and really study what was happening then you will see that he would be considered way to moderate for a lot of red meat folks. In fact there are many contemporary articles complaining about his caving to democrats from that eras conservatives. The simple fact that Reagan was an ex democrat and governed a liberal state. In all likelihood he was much more like Romney than he was like Gingrich or Santorum.

2. We need to quit talking about Reagan. we love him, but he's over. A very large majority of the voting population views him as roughly equivalent to talking up Abraham Lincoln or JFK. My grandmother loved Eisenhower but that has never, ever had any relevance to me whatsoever. At this point in time, it is not too much of a stretch to say that anyone under 45 is not going to have any attachment to Reagan. And there are a LOT of voters under 45. We need to rework our approach and show how conservative ideas are relevant to the lives of younger people. Right now, they are buying the leftist message. And it is because we have not been communicating much other than "in the good old days." That must stop.

3. I think it was Jonah Goldberg, or perhaps Mark Steyn who pointed out that Reagan put a new face on Goldwater conservatism. We now must put a new face on Reagan conservatism. We need to show its relevance to young, urban, single women and most of all figure out how to connect our values with a browning population. That is not going to change. We have lots to offer, but we do not reach out effectively.

Finally, this self recrimination has to stop. We can not blame each other. We had a terrific candidate. We had a good GOTV effort. What we didn't have, and this includes our bench, is an articulate spokesman who could connect philosophy with personal outcome in a fresh way that connects with what is, rather than what used to be.

Until these things are addressed, we will continue to be out maneuvered. It's time to get to work.

• Like 1