12 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says

clearvision

Neighbors say the family belonged to a Presbyterian church and hosted a Christmas party for residents.

There you go. A church going right wing lunatic.

Well you know out on the edge those Calvinists can get!

One of the fatally wounded victims of the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting early Friday morning was Jessica Ghawi, an aspiring sportscaster and journalist who survived a mall shooting in Toronto just last month, Deadspin first reported.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/20/victim-of-aurora-theater-shooting-survived-toronto-mall-shooting-last-month/#ixzz21CTfOtfZ

clearvision

Warner Bros. is evidently pulling all gun scenes from the batman trailers... will they do the same to the movie? What will be left? Bam! Pow! KaPow! splats over any scene with a gun...

Warner Bros. is evidently pulling all gun scenes from the batman trailers... will they do the same to the movie? What will be left? Bam! Pow! KaPow! splats over any scene with a gun...

My head Hurts.

Draggingtree

12 Dead... 50 Wounded

Sounds like a typical long weekend in Obama's Southside Chicago.

Was it a Gun Free Zone?

With Obama having the flags to fly at half mask is nothing but a political decision I hope the American people see through this -- people are murdered every day just go to the Chicago papers (CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, CHICAGO TRIB).

pollyannaish

I heard Romney's response played immediately following Obama's response.

Romney's response was thoughtful, heartfelt, warm and moving. I was very pleased with it and felt comforted.

Obama's response was cold, distant and odd. There was nothing wrong with it...it just had a "Ok Captain Obvious" feel to it. Maybe he was trying to play off the superhero meme.

captain-obvious.jpg

• Like 3

I've had nausea all day. But us ex-military have to hold it together, eh? Regardless of specialty, e.g., cooks, moter pool, weather, clerks etc The Marines have their motto proper: rifleman before all else.

First off: if you are ever in that situation, I pray for everthing that I'm worth - and that aint much - but hopefully with my faith in the shed blood of the risen Christ Jesus clouding the Father God's judgment in that regard, IF you are in that situation you'll have the gumption to tackle the terrorist when they're reloading and bash their face into the cement.

"Lets roll!"

Secondly, I hope there is enough outcry that Brian Ross gets taken down. There was NO appology nor intimatino whatsoever that anything was innappropriately stated during the 1830 EDT broadcast.

Finally, I hope that the lame-Stream Media alphabet soup takes a cue from the Aurora Police Chief's briefing today w/respect to taking internet postings at face value.

To accuse some guy of a heinous crime of which they were totally innocent in the court of world opionion with out vetting the source or information being reported is beyond pale.

Why is nobody talking about Mohammed Amal and the second shooter? BOTH of these pieces of information were reported by the local news when the story first broke..

• Like 1

For What it's worth

Police looking for second “person of interest” in theater shooting

AURORA, Colo. — Sources tell FOX31 Denver reporter Justin Joseph that a second man is now a person-of-interest in the Aurora theater shooting investigation. We are not disclosing his identity because he has not been charged.

(Snip)

Sources tell Justin Joseph someone made either a call or a text from the person of interest’s phone threatening violence if James Egan Holmes was not released from jail. That call prompted police to issue an alert to find and detain him.

(Snip)

If I were to guess I would say this is someone who A. is reality challenged B. looking for there 15 minutes of fame. C. Both

• Like 1

What We Learn from Raw Unabated Evil

Kevin McCullough

Given that he injured and killed 71 people at the theater, with a goal of blowing up perhaps hundreds more, practical issues of justice emerge. I'm sure most decent Americans would have a hard time arguing against the death penalty for someone who was guilty of all this.

Other practical questions also haunt us. Questions like, "If theaters weren't considered a gun-free zone, would more people have survived?"

Yet at the end of this day, my thoughts return to the larger picture of what we saw--evil in it's rawest form.

(Snip)

Missing the Point about Aurora

We need a new system of care for the mentally ill.

Mona Charen

7/24/12

(Snip)

For years, mental-health authorities assured us that the mentally ill were no more dangerous than the average person. That’s true of most, but not all. As Dr. E. Fuller Torrey documents in his essential book, The Insanity Offense, rates of violence among the untreated mentally ill are significantly higher than among the general population and also much higher than among those receiving medication. Between 5 and 10 percent of the untreated seriously mentally ill will commit violent crimes in any given year, accounting for at least 5 percent of homicides in the United States (a huge number in a nation of more than 300 million). For rampage crimes such as the Aurora attack, the percentage of mentally ill perpetrators is much greater, as high as 50 percent.

Since the 1960s, when deinstitutionalization became intellectually fashionable and fiscally alluring to states looking to save money, the mentally ill have been dumped onto the streets. Today, 95 percent of the inpatient beds that were available for psychiatric patients in 1955 are gone. The Treatment Advocacy Center explains that “the consequences of the severe shortage of public psychiatric beds include increased homelessness; the incarceration of mentally ill individuals in jails and prisons; emergency rooms being overrun with patients waiting for a psychiatric bed; and an increase in violent behavior, including homicides, in communities across the nation.” Imagine if we treated the mentally retarded this way.

In many cases of mental illness, a belief that one is not in need of treatment is part of the sickness. Yet most studies show that the majority of those who are medicated against their wishes retroactively approve and believe it should be done again if necessary. In New York, 62 percent reported that being ordered by a court into treatment was a good thing for them.

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...
Draggingtree

RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event – English

The City of Houston, Texas in the aftermath of the event that took placed in Aurora, Colorado has released a video on key steps to take if you find yourself in that position