Primary 2012

Rheo

WSJ: Why Gingrich's Tax Plan Beats Romney's

Newt's flat tax would do a lot more to attract capital, spur growth and reduce compliance costs.

ARTHUR B. LAFFER

1/31/12

If we judge both leading contenders in the Republican primary, Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney, by what they've done in life and by what they propose to do if elected, either one could be an excellent president. But when it comes to the election's core issue—restoring a healthy economy—the key is a good tax plan and the ability to implement it.

Mr. Gingrich has a significantly better plan than does Mr. Romney, and he has twice before been instrumental in implementing a successful tax plan on a national level—once when he served in Congress as a Reagan supporter in the 1980s and again when he was President Clinton's partner as speaker of the House of Representatives in the 1990s. During both of these periods the economy prospered incredibly—in good part because of Mr. Gingrich.

Jobs and wealth are created by those who are taxed, not by those who do the taxing. Government, by its very nature, doesn't create resources but redistributes resources. To minimize the damages taxes cause the economy, the best way for government to raise revenue is a broad-based, low-rate flat tax that provides people and businesses with the fewest incentives to avoid or otherwise not report taxable income, and the least number of places where they can escape taxation. On these counts it doesn't get any better than Mr. Gingrich's optional 15% flat tax for individuals and his 12.5% flat tax for business. Each of these taxes has been tried and tested and found to be enormously successful.

(Snip)

WSJ: Why Gingrich's Tax Plan Beats Romney's

Newt's flat tax would do a lot more to attract capital, spur growth and reduce compliance costs.

ARTHUR B. LAFFER

1/31/12

If we judge both leading contenders in the Republican primary, Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney, by what they've done in life and by what they propose to do if elected, either one could be an excellent president. But when it comes to the election's core issue—restoring a healthy economy—the key is a good tax plan and the ability to implement it.

Mr. Gingrich has a significantly better plan than does Mr. Romney, and he has twice before been instrumental in implementing a successful tax plan on a national level—once when he served in Congress as a Reagan supporter in the 1980s and again when he was President Clinton's partner as speaker of the House of Representatives in the 1990s. During both of these periods the economy prospered incredibly—in good part because of Mr. Gingrich.

Jobs and wealth are created by those who are taxed, not by those who do the taxing. Government, by its very nature, doesn't create resources but redistributes resources. To minimize the damages taxes cause the economy, the best way for government to raise revenue is a broad-based, low-rate flat tax that provides people and businesses with the fewest incentives to avoid or otherwise not report taxable income, and the least number of places where they can escape taxation. On these counts it doesn't get any better than Mr. Gingrich's optional 15% flat tax for individuals and his 12.5% flat tax for business. Each of these taxes has been tried and tested and found to be enormously successful.

(Snip)

Romney's tax plan is essentially to maintain the status quo Bush left behind. Plus, Romney wants to eliminate the death tax. That's about it. I would like to see something a little more bold than that. Actually, a lot more bold than that. The status quo really isn't moving the country forward. Of course, it is better than what Obama is promising. But that is a pretty low bar to jump over.

Ricochet: We Must Lead From The Front

Rick Santorum

1/31/12

The president says "the threat of war is receding" but he’s wrong. The war is on, and its front lines are advancing towards us and our allies, above all toward Israel.

We're facing a global alliance that includes Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and of course Cuba. They are outspoken in their desire to weaken us and drive us out of their regions. Some of them--Iran, and the radical Islamists whose rise to power has been facilitated by this president--speak eagerly of destroying us, and our allies, especially Israel.

We have no strategy to deal with this gathering storm. Indeed, our leaders act as if things are getting better every day.

President Obama seems to believe that sanctions on Iran will compel the fanatical rulers in Tehran to abandon their nuclear weapons program, fearing they will lose power if our sanctions continue and intensify. Has he considered the case of North Korea? Fanatical rulers do not care if their people go hungry. Indeed they do not care about their people at all. If their people complain, they go to prison or to the torturer or the hangman. And then they laugh at us, and organize thousands of people to chant "Death to America!"

What does President Obama think they mean? It certainly doesn't mean "yes, America, you are right, let's reason together."

(Snip)

Ricochet: We Must Lead From The Front

Rick Santorum

1/31/12

The president says "the threat of war is receding" but he’s wrong. The war is on, and its front lines are advancing towards us and our allies, above all toward Israel.

We're facing a global alliance that includes Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Ecuador and of course Cuba. They are outspoken in their desire to weaken us and drive us out of their regions. Some of them--Iran, and the radical Islamists whose rise to power has been facilitated by this president--speak eagerly of destroying us, and our allies, especially Israel.

We have no strategy to deal with this gathering storm. Indeed, our leaders act as if things are getting better every day.

President Obama seems to believe that sanctions on Iran will compel the fanatical rulers in Tehran to abandon their nuclear weapons program, fearing they will lose power if our sanctions continue and intensify. Has he considered the case of North Korea? Fanatical rulers do not care if their people go hungry. Indeed they do not care about their people at all. If their people complain, they go to prison or to the torturer or the hangman. And then they laugh at us, and organize thousands of people to chant "Death to America!"

What does President Obama think they mean? It certainly doesn't mean "yes, America, you are right, let's reason together."

(Snip)

I don't think Obama cares about the atrocities, etc that are going on in other countries. The only country he wants to change is ours.

He is content just to placate the radical countries until the election. And if he wins the election, he will be content to placate them for four more years, too.

WestVirginiaRebel

Gingrich Pushes Santorum To Drop Out

GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich says rival Rick Santorum should take a look at the poll numbers, which show Gingrich beating him, and drop out. “The longer conservatives stay split, the harder it’s going to be for us to [beat Romney],” Gingrich said on FOX and Friends on Tuesday. “And I think that we risk not being able to beat Obama unless we get a conservative. I have to win the nomination.” Santorum is sapping conservative votes from Gingrich, the former House speaker said.

Santorum's response:

Santorum tells Fox News Channel that one candidate shouldn’t tell another “to get out of the race and get out of the way.” … Santorum says he thinks he’s the better, more conservative candidate himself — but that wouldn’t justify asking Gingrich to quit. He says, “Everybody should run.”

From poster Jailbreak, via the comments at Hot Air:

Soon to be held conversation:

“Hi, Rick. It’s me, undoubtedly the most incredible and uncanny candidate of all time who will…”

“Hi, Newt. I know it’s you. *yawn* Man, I’m tired after all this craziness at the hospital and the campaign.”

“I can understand those hospital establisment types are the most dishonest in the history of health care. Why, in 1974 as Reagan, my protege, and I were grandiosely planning to take down the USSR…”

“Got it, Newt. Thsnks for not calling about Bella. So, why the call?”

“You are impeding my insurgent campaign, Rick. Truthfully, if you were to cease and desist all your campaign and become one of my minions…I mean, “consultants,” *heh heh* we could take out that liberal rich maniacal liar…”

“Whoah, Newt. I want to beat Mitt but that’s a little bit much, don’t you think it’d be better to…”

“That is a NONSENSE statement. That is the most DESPICABLE thing I’ve ever heard, you defending Mitt. YOU shouldn’t have…Callista, not now! I’m scolding a moderator! If you keep this up, I’ll send you where the other two…”

“Newt, calm down. I also saw you said he was anti-religion? Really? Look, I don’t think our party should…”

“You, sir, are the Mitt-stamp candidate! …Where’s the stupid applause? Awwww, man…”

“Newt, man! Calm down! I’m not a spineless reporter you can beat up! I’m not a fan of Mitt, but I don’t want to lie about his record, either. ALSO, CUT OUT THE DROP OUT OF THE RACE DRIVEL! Look, in all the polls, if I drop out, you lose by MORE to MITT anyway! I also think you’re imploding now and that conservatives will support me more than you once you’re done blowing yourself up.”

“WRah! Grrr! Agghhh! *tazmanian devil spinning sound* sbbblah! sbbblah!”

“Newt? Are you still there?”

“Grrr! Agggh! I can’t take it anymore! My hyperbole and hypocrisy are elevating my own intracranial pressures around my gigantic, Galileo-like brain! Help me, Sarah Palin! My own cerebrum is raging against the machine! Somebody….”

***high-pitched whistling sound then loud but controlled explosion audible***

“Newt? Newt?!”

“Rick? Is that you?”

“Newt! I thought you…”

“No, it’s Callista. Newt’s grandiosity just blew himself up. He was too great even for himself.”

“Callista, I’m so sorry. I…”

“Hey, Rick, what are you wearing?”

“Uh, a sweater vest, Callista, but…”

“Ummm….I like sweater vests.”

*Click!*

I do think Newt's desperation is showing.

I'm ignoring the title. What I've noticed is complaints about Gingrich's negative ads (ok that's fair0, what I have yet to see is any complaints about Romney's negative ads. If anyone has seen this on the MSM or from the "leading lights" of the right wing, I'd be happy to see it.

Hmmm.

Townhall Election Results 2012

Florida Primary

Candidate

Votes

Mitt Romney Votes: 446,029 49%

Newt Gingrich Votes: 277,546 30%

Rick

Santorum Votes: 114,447 13%

Ron Paul Votes: 61,731 7%

last updated: 1/31/2012 7:40:03pm

29% of precincts reporting

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney takes early lead over Gingrich in Florida presidential primary

Mitt Romney is leading Newt Gingrich in early returns out of the Florida Republican presidential primary, as he looks to secure a victory in the biggest contest to date. With 46 percent of precincts reporting, Romney is leading with 49 percent. Gingrich has 30 percent, followed by Rick Santorum with 13 percent and Ron Paul with 7 percent. All polls in the state will close by 8 p.m. ET. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, also is leading in exit polls among two of Florida's largest constituencies -- seniors and Hispanics.

Gingrich denies knowledge of 'kosher' robocall

Newt Gingrich denied any knowledge of a robocall put out by his campaign Tuesday claiming rival Mitt Romney refused to fund kosher food for Holocaust survivors during his time as Massachusetts governor. Gingrich's campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond confirmed the calls were going out statewide in Florida Tuesday. The call's claim that Romney vetoed a bill providing kosher meals to nursing home residents during his time as governor first arose Monday, when Gingrich cited a report from the New York Post.

The call in question:

Romney takes early lead over Gingrich in Florida presidential primary

Mitt Romney is leading Newt Gingrich in early returns out of the Florida Republican presidential primary, as he looks to secure a victory in the biggest contest to date. With 46 percent of precincts reporting, Romney is leading with 49 percent. Gingrich has 30 percent, followed by Rick Santorum with 13 percent and Ron Paul with 7 percent. All polls in the state will close by 8 p.m. ET. Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, also is leading in exit polls among two of Florida's largest constituencies -- seniors and Hispanics.

Gingrich denies knowledge of 'kosher' robocall

Newt Gingrich denied any knowledge of a robocall put out by his campaign Tuesday claiming rival Mitt Romney refused to fund kosher food for Holocaust survivors during his time as Massachusetts governor. Gingrich's campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond confirmed the calls were going out statewide in Florida Tuesday. The call's claim that Romney vetoed a bill providing kosher meals to nursing home residents during his time as governor first arose Monday, when Gingrich cited a report from the New York Post.

The call in question:

This is a good working definition of STUPID.

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney wins Florida GOP primary, Fox News projects

Mitt Romney has won the Florida Republican presidential primary, Fox News projects.

The victory, in the GOP contest's biggest state to date, is likely to give the former Massachusetts governor a burst of momentum as he and Newt Gingrich battle for the lead in what has become an increasingly negative race.

With 51 percent of precincts reporting, Romney is leading with 48 percent. Gingrich has 31 percent, followed by Rick Santorum with 13 percent and Ron Paul with 7 percent.

Romney is expected to win all 50 of Florida's convention delegates.

Legal Insurrection: Florida primary results

William A. Jacobson Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 6:50pm

(Pro-Gingrich)

Exit polls have Romney and Gingrich tied in North Florida/Panhandle

CNN says Romney won Tea Party voters 40-38, which is very surprising, lost evangelicals by only a few percent. Romney won big for voters who thought electability was most important.

CNN exit polls show Romney with 46-32 over Gingrich, 12 for Santorum, 8 Paul.

(Snip)

The Corner

jimgeraghty Newt won evangelicals narrowly, 39% to 36%.17 minutes ago

jimgeraghty Elderly had been Gingrich's strength so far. Tonight, voters 65 and older: Mitt 51%, Newt 34%.19 minutes ago