Primary 2012

Rheo

I didn't realize David Axelrod's daughter suffered brain damage as an infant from massive epileptic seizures.

carry on.

Previewing the blame game

Bryan Jacoutot

January 29, 2012

The latest polls in Florida point to a significant Romney victory on Tuesday, possibly double digits.

If Romney does win by a double digit margin in Florida, the pressure will be for those who do not support Romney to stop criticizing Romney in the name of defeating Obama. A Romney defeat in a general election will be blamed on the lanuage used against Romney in the primaries.

But that standard was not applied by Romney supporters when, in turn, Perry, Cain and Gingrich were leading.

(Snip)

Ann Coulter, in one of her less bombastic moments, called Gingrich ‘pompous and boring’. Drudge ran a false banner claiming “Newt Repeatedly Insulted Reagan”. Emmett Tyrell, III, called Gingrich “Our Bill Clinton.” Earlier, National Review ran a cover entitled, “Newt’s World.” Jennifer Rubin declared: “With Gingrich, you never have the peace of mind that you’ve gotten to the bottom of his well of sleaze.” And so on and so on.

Much of the conservative punditry didn’t seem to care if their attacks on Gingrich would hurt him in the general election, yet they will blame others for doing far less in response. All the Stalin-esque re-writing of history can’t change that.

So the question is, why is ok for one candidate to run negative ads, and bad for another?

I was doing a google search...mitt Romney criticism negative ads. A very curious thing turned up...or rather didn't turn up.

I didn't realize David Axelrod's daughter suffered brain damage as an infant from massive epileptic seizures.

carry on.

About a year ago they had a two episode interview with him on FOX(that's right FOX) with him and his wife and visited Misacordia home where his daughter lives. I watched it because that organization is one of my son's accounts. She had an extremely bad case with episodes multiple times a day. New medications and this home have helped her tremendously.

• Like 1

CNN Anchor Goes Personal on Vitter; He Says 'The Good News Is...It's Not Up to CNN' to Pick GOP Nominee

Bill Clinton has done hundreds of TV interviews since leaving office in 2001, and journalists have very rarely found it appropriate to revisit his sex scandals. But for CNN, Republicans merit an entirely different standard of coverage.

On Monday's Early Start, co-host Ashleigh Banfield insisted to Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) that "I got to" bring up his 2007 prostitution scandal, so she could ask how Newt Gingrich could "manage the baggage" of his personal sex life. Vitter fired back that "the good news is, in America, it's not up to CNN" how the GOP presidential nominee is chosen.

Scissors-32x32.pngVitter's response started a testy exchange between him and Banfield. She defended her question and tried again to elicit an answer, but he tersely refused.

He told her that she was "outdoing" CNN's John King, who led off CNN's South Carolina GOP Debate with a question to Gingrich about salacious accusations from his ex-wife.

"You're personally, in my opinion, outdoing out King, but go for it – John King – but go for it," the senator rebuked Banfield. At the end of the interview, she icily thanked him for the comparison "because I think he [King] is pretty great."

"Great. Go for it," Vitter shot back.

video at link

@Rheo

Double standard from the MSM! ohmy.png

I wish it were shocking. Anymore it is just blatant arrogance. I'm loving that we are finally fighting back against it.

Calling out the media is crucial for this election. If they don't, the media and the DNC win...and that is not an option!

@Rheo

The thing is the left continues to push this line.

I've fought it at CGP by using the words evil ultra/radical/extremest/hate mongering/racist/sexist/islamaphobe/homophobe Republican...that want to kill cute little bunny rabbits. As Rush says, Illustrating Absurdity by being Absurd. I mean how do you fight someone who you accuse of racism, when he takes 37 steps farther on, without looking like a fool? And Rush is the master at this. Its linguistic Judo....not to mention a great deal of fun.

@Rheo

I've fought it at CGP by using the words evil ultra/radical/extremest/hate mongering/racist/sexist/islamaphobe/homophobe Republican...that want to kill cute little bunny rabbits. As Rush says, Illustrating Absurdity by being Absurd. I mean how do you fight someone who you accuse of racism, when he takes 37 steps farther on, without looking like a fool? And Rush is the master at this. Its linguistic Judo....not to mention a great deal of fun.

They will continue to do so until it stops being so comfortable for them to do so. I think the politicians are figuring out that we the people....demand it and will give them cover and support them. Going to be a crazy year.

WestVirginiaRebel

McCain: "We've Got To Stop The Debates"

MR. GREGORY: Can Newt Gingrich beat President Obama?

SEN. McCAIN: I think any of our candidates can, but you just showed the numbers up there. We've got to stop the debates. Enough with the debates because they are driving up our candidates, all of them, unfavorabilities. We've had enough of that. They've turned into mud wrestling instead of exposition of the candidates' views on the issues. We've had enough of that and it's time to recognize who the real adversary is and that's not each other.

Gingrich: I won't debate Obama if media moderates

"The reporters who run the debates have no interest in asking any question which will affect Obama," Gingrich told a crowd gathered to see him at the Pensacola airport. "That's why, as your nominee, I will not accept debates in the fall in which the reporters are the moderators because you don't need to have a second Obama person on the debate."

@Rheo

They will continue to do so until it stops being so comfortable for them to do so. I think the politicians are figuring out that we the people....demand it and will give them cover and support them. Going to be a crazy year.

World class understatement!

WestVirginiaRebel

Stop Whining About Negative Campaigning!

I'm gonna speak just for me. I am getting tired of the whining about negative campaigning. I'm getting tired of the whining from everybody about it. Not just the candidates, I'm getting tired hearing about it from everyone. What in the world is politics? What is it, if not this? I'm gonna say something to the Gingrich people here. Newt is really caught up in this notion that Romney is saying things about him that aren't true. I'm telling you, I'm having a tough time relating to being upset about that. As someone who is routinely lied about every day and has been for 25 years, it comes with the territory.

McCain: "We've Got To Stop The Debates"

MR. GREGORY: Can Newt Gingrich beat President Obama?

SEN. McCAIN: I think any of our candidates can, but you just showed the numbers up there. We've got to stop the debates. Enough with the debates because they are driving up our candidates, all of them, unfavorabilities. We've had enough of that. They've turned into mud wrestling instead of exposition of the candidates' views on the issues. We've had enough of that and it's time to recognize who the real adversary is and that's not each other.

No surprise there, without these debates, this race would be over.

Gingrich: I won't debate Obama if media moderates

"The reporters who run the debates have no interest in asking any question which will affect Obama," Gingrich told a crowd gathered to see him at the Pensacola airport. "That's why, as your nominee, I will not accept debates in the fall in which the reporters are the moderators because you don't need to have a second Obama person on the debate."

Good for Newt!

For What it's worth

Hot Air Pre-Florida Survey Results

todatefla.png

(Snip)

I was polled with similar questions tonight. It was a recording asking to respond by pushing numbers on my phone. I am probably the only strongly anti-abortion, Gingrich supporting, female, Muslim they polled tonight. A couple weeks ago I got polled and the first question aske for my party affiliation. I pressed democrat and the line went dead. They called again the next night and I pressed independent and the line went dead. They haven't called back, but I'll be interesting to see what follows after I press Republican.

WestVirginiaRebel

Romney headed for Florida victory

PPP's tracking of the Florida Republican primary wraps up with Mitt Romney at 39%, Newt Gingrich at 31%, Rick Santorum at 15%, and Ron Paul at 11%. Our three days of tracking found very little movement in the race: Romney was at 39-40% every day, Gingrich was at 31-32% every day, Santorum was at 14-15% every day, and Paul was at 9-11% every day.

The lack of movement in the final 72 hours of the campaign is a far cry from the dramatic shifts Florida Republicans made in their preferences over the last four months. In late September we found Mitt Romney ahead of Newt Gingrich by 20 points in the state. By late November, as he surged nationally, Gingrich had taken a 30 point led over Romney. But then our first poll in early January, after poor performances by Gingrich in Iowa and New Hampshire, found Romney back on top by 15 points. Riding a (short lived) wave of momentum off his South Carolina victory, Gingrich led our Florida poll last week by 5 points. By the end of the week the race had swung back to Romney and over the last three days his lead has been steady in the 7-8 point range.

One thing Romney did a great job of was getting his voters out early. With the third of the electorate who have already cast their ballots he leads 45-32. That means Gingrich would have to win election day voters by somewhere in the 6-8 point range to pull off the Florida upset, but we find that Romney still has a 36-30 advantage with those are waiting to vote tomorrow.

Romney will win in Florida tomorrow because he's winning his core groups of support by wide margins, while holding Gingrich to single digit advantages with his key constituencies. Romney is winning moderates by 39 (53-14), seniors by 12 (46-32), and women by 12 (42-30). Meanwhile Gingrich is only up 8 with Tea Partiers (39-31) and 6 with Evangelicals (38-32), groups he won by huge margins in South Carolina.

WestVirginiaRebel

Newt: Conservatives won't let 'Wall Street and Mitt Romney buy the election'

Newt Gingrich unloaded on Mitt Romney in a tough interview with Fox News' Bret Baier, comments that came on the heels of a blistering day on the stump between the two candidates in advance of the Florida vote tomorrow.

He laced into Romney with some of the same language he's used over the last two days, but added in "pro-gay rights," and said there will be a conservative uprising to keep him and Wall Street from "buying the election.

"Look, the conservative movement is not gonna to sit by and let a Massachusetts liberal, who's pro-abortion, pro-gun control, pro-tax increase, pro-gay rights, who's Romney-care in two articles in the last 24 hours were described as the equivalent of Obamacare and who George Soros says is just fine," Gingrich told Baier.

"He'd be happy with either Obama or Romney 'cuz they are both the establishment and that’s just George Soros. The conservative movement is not going to sit back and say "oh yes let's let Wall Street and Mitt Romney buy the election. So you're going to see a real grass roots fight. It will be people power vs. Goldman Sachs and Mitt Romney."