Coffee Shop- Open 24/7

Rheo

Good essay by Lawrence W. Reed:

Great Myths of the Great Depression

Thank you. Good stuff

If you or anyone is interested I highly recommend The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression

Amity Shlaes

Book Description

It's difficult today to imagine how America survived the Great Depression. Only through the stories of the common people who struggled during that era can we really understand how the nation endured. These are the people at the heart of Amity Shlaes's insightful and inspiring history of one of the most crucial events of the twentieth century.

In The Forgotten Man, Amity Shlaes, one of the nation's most respected economic commentators, offers a striking reinterpretation of the Great Depression. Rejecting the old emphasis on the New Deal, she turns to the neglected and moving stories of individual Americans, and shows how through brave leadership they helped establish the steadfast character we developed as a nation. Some of those figures were well known, at least in their day—Andrew Mellon, the Greenspan of the era; Sam Insull of Chicago, hounded as a scapegoat. But there were also unknowns: the Schechters, a family of butchers in Brooklyn who dealt a stunning blow to the New Deal; Bill W., who founded Alcoholics Anonymous in the name of showing that small communities could help themselves; and Father Divine, a black charismatic who steered his thousands of followers through the Depression by preaching a Gospel of Plenty.

Shlaes also traces the mounting agony of the New Dealers themselves as they discovered their errors. She shows how both Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt failed to understand the prosperity of the 1920s and heaped massive burdens on the country that more than offset the benefit of New Deal programs. The real question about the Depression, she argues, is not whether Roosevelt ended it with World War II. It is why the Depression lasted so long. From 1929 to 1940, federal intervention helped to make the Depression great—in part by forgetting the men and women who sought to help one another.

Authoritative, original, and utterly engrossing, The Forgotten Man offers an entirely new look at one of the most important periods in our history.

Google Books

Makes a very good companion to Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism.

Zbigniew Brzezinski & ANDREA MITCHELL agree America is a terrible place

(Video at link)

(Snip)ZBIGNIEW BREZINSKI: The West today is somewhat corrupt, uneasy about its own value system. The United States is becoming rapidly one of the most socially unjust societies in the world. And that is raising basic questions about the relevance of the West to a world that is now universally awakened. Stirring, restless, conflicted.

(Snip)

ZBIGNIEW: The income disparities between the rich and the poor in the United States are now the most severe in the world . . .

MIKA: Andrea.

ANDREA MITCHELL: I agree with just about everything that Dr. Brzezinski has said, except that I'm not as optimistic as you are about the Eurozone [brzezinski had predicted that Europe will solve its financial crisis]. The disparities between rich and poor is this country are the underlying tension. You see the exaggerated forms of it on both sides. With what we saw with the Tea Party, the objection to a social compact on health care a couple of years ago. And then, the emergence of the Occupy movement. That's a real movement. There is real passion and anger there.

Recall yesterday I ask how stupid the left could be, and how I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer? Well now I'm sure I don't want to know the answer!

:wallbash:

I have a small question (pat. pend.) for Mr. Brzezinski. Could you explain to me (in small words I'm not that bright) how poor people would be better off if the richest 1% of Americans had their net worth cut in half? Would they be less poor? Wopuld they have jobs or better jobs? Would their lives be better (however you define better)?

LaurenSivan favorited @Johnnydontlike:

Report: Cain accuser expected to hold a news conference where she'll produce a pizza sauce stained dress.

ANDREA MITCHELL: I agree with just about everything that Dr. Brzezinski has said, except that I'm not as optimistic as you are about the Eurozone [brzezinski had predicted that Europe will solve its financial crisis]. The disparities between rich and poor is this country are the underlying tension. You see the exaggerated forms of it on both sides. With what we saw with the Tea Party, the objection to a social compact on health care a couple of years ago. And then, the emergence of the Occupy movement. That's a real movement. There is real passion and anger there.

With such an exaggerated "disparity" between rich and poor dimming her optimism, Andrea Mitchell has the same opportunities as other liberals to donate 1/2, 3/4, 7/8 or more of their bloated salaries to those less fortunate.... same for other mouthy yet wealthy liberals like David Letterman, Jay Leno, Brian Williams, Diane Sawyer, Michael Moore, George Soros, Nancy Pelosi, John Kerry, Dianne Feinstein, Joy Behar, Whoopie Goldberg, Yoko Ono, Roseanne Barr, Tim Robbins, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hanks, George Clooney et al ad nauseum.

But they do not. They would rather have the government forcibly take money from YOU and ME through taxation.

Arthur Brooks, the author of a book on donors to charity, “Who Really Cares,” cites data that households headed by conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than households headed by liberals. A study by Google found an even greater disproportion: average annual contributions reported by conservatives were almost double those of liberals.

RandyM

Something needs to be remembered Zbigniew Brezinski & Andrea Mitchell are from the sane wing of the left. This is the voice of the left today. In years gone by (30-40 years ago) you would not hear high ranking members of the left/democrat party say things like this. the only place you'd hear it was the "New Left" Ramparts magazine, the weathermen...etc. there was a coup in 68, and by 72 the "New Left" had taken over the Democrat party and the purges began, not to say there aren't some sane people on the left, but at least in the leadership they are becoming an endangered specie. I imagine Brezinski & Mitchell are truly perplexed at the outrage there comments made, in the bubble they live in what they said was not that outrageous. If you go to DU, the Daily Kos, The Nation...etc and you can't swing a dead cat without reading similar things.

Jeane Kirkpatrick nailed it in 84

Can we handle the truth?

by Janine Turner

Janine%20Turner_1.jpg

Added the picture for you guys.

You're welcome. ;)

"Extreme Hotness!"

Dieter

Valins Evil Twin

Today America is on the precipice of demise and Congress cannot see it. Even worse, where is our John Adams? Only a visionary will be able to save the United States and renew her vigor.

My latest favorite Video on the problem

/preaching to the choir

I hereby make this solemn promise to not show up in St. Paul on Jan. 1 2012!
I think this is something all right thinking Americans can really get behind.

@Bret_Baier

A little anxious tonight. My 4 1/2 year old, Paul, goes in for his 5th angioplasty tomorrow. It always puts everything in perspective. He thinks he's going in to get extra superpowers - and I think he is too. ;).

@Bret_Baier

A little anxious tonight. My 4 1/2 year old, Paul, goes in for his 5th angioplasty tomorrow. It always puts everything in perspective. He thinks he's going in to get extra superpowers - and I think he is too. ;).

Oh. Prayers up for the Baier family. Go get those superpowers little man!

I guess if you are stuck up in a tree, using all the bravado you have is what you use. Well done!

Ha.

Sometimes, just someone asking, what ya doing there..is all it takes.

Today America is on the precipice of demise and Congress cannot see it. Even worse, where is our John Adams? Only a visionary will be able to save the United States and renew her vigor.

My latest favorite Video on the problem

/preaching to the choir

That was fantastic.