Coffee Shop- Open 24/7

Rheo

Debate is going good, shades of Lincoln/Douglas.

Debate

Really liked what Newt said about war and Iran.

Without bells and whistles going off every 60 seconds they all had time to express themselves. I may not have been listening carefully, but I thought even Paul sounded good. Didn't even miss Mitt either.

Just an aside, could you imagine Boehner answering some of the questions? Flood warning!!!

Agree. This is the way they all should be, give them time to answer a question...radical concept I know, but that me always pushing the envelope. :D

What I liked was it made them real people not just walking policy statements and sound bytes.

Even though I disagree with him profoundly Ron Paul did a good job of stating his case on foreign policy

Deacon's Bench

Crystal Cathedral: was the Holy Spirit the highest bidder?

Nov 19th, 2011 by Deacon Greg Kandra

inShare2

snip

Get a load of these intriguing details, courtesy Kathy Schiffer at Seasons of Grace:

According to Tim Busch, one member of the Crystal Cathedral’s board told him as the court proceedings drew to an end,
“I like the way you guys have handled this, and I’m going to convert to Catholicism.”
Wednesday evening in the courtroom, she walked up to the bishop and repeated that.

Schuller himself gave his blessing to the sale.
“I could not abide the thought,” the 85-year-old minister wrote in a letter to the court, “that Chapman might someday use the cathedral for nonreligious purposes.” Catholic leaders had promised that they would “take on your calling of proclaiming Christ’s message to humanity” and “care for the campus like the treasure it is.”

Deacon's Bench

Crystal Cathedral: was the Holy Spirit the highest bidder?

Nov 19th, 2011 by Deacon Greg Kandra

inShare2

snip

Get a load of these intriguing details, courtesy Kathy Schiffer at Seasons of Grace:

According to Tim Busch, one member of the Crystal Cathedral’s board told him as the court proceedings drew to an end,
“I like the way you guys have handled this, and I’m going to convert to Catholicism.”
Wednesday evening in the courtroom, she walked up to the bishop and repeated that.

Schuller himself gave his blessing to the sale.
“I could not abide the thought,” the 85-year-old minister wrote in a letter to the court, “that Chapman might someday use the cathedral for nonreligious purposes.” Catholic leaders had promised that they would “take on your calling of proclaiming Christ’s message to humanity” and “care for the campus like the treasure it is.”

Thanks for this, on a related note...

The Confidence of the Evangelical

Mark Galli

11/17/2011

On a recent trip to Durham, North Carolina, I was asked, "What do you make of all the evangelicals converting to Roman Catholicism?" What immediately came to mind was two recent and well-known conversions of evangelical scholars: Christian Smith, sociologist at Notre Dame, and Francis Beckwith, who at one time was president of the Evangelical Theological Society. Other well-known conversions to Catholicism in my generation—by men whose writings have been important in my intellectual growth—include the late Richard John Neuhaus and Robert Wilken (not from evangelicalism as such, but from Lutheranism).

These are not minds to trifle with! We're talking about men who were and are at the top of their intellectual games, in sociology, theology, and church history. And none of their motives are to be questioned. When it comes to momentous conversions, we usually don't know our own deepest motives. These are often discovered only long after the fact, or maybe never (at least not until we find ourselves in the presence of our Lord—Ah, so that's what I was doing!).

*What I can comment on is the tug of Catholicism on the evangelical heart. Because it is a tug that I must admit has pulled at me and many close friends. But there are tugs and there are tugs. Some tugs come from the Holy Spirit, and these naturally are not to be criticized! But other tugs deserve a little scrutiny.

Like the longing for authority. One of the most frustrating things about being Protestant, and especially evangelical, is that there is really no place to turn when you are ready to end a conversation on a controversial point. There is no authority figure or institution that can silence heterodoxy. No one has your back—well, except the Holy Spirit (we'll come back to this in a moment). The more Protestants there are, the more churches and theologies are birthed. As soon as we say, "The Christian church believes …" we hear someone say, "Well, I'm a Christian, and I don't believe that!" To be an evangelical used to mean one stood for certain theological convictions—penal substitution, inerrancy, and so forth—but now many evangelicals take delight in defining themselves over and against one of these formerly cardinal doctrines, while insisting on the right to be called evangelicals.

So, we understand the pull of the Catholic magisterium.

(Snip)

* I admit over the last couple of years seriously considering returning to Rome, the Church of my youth. It speaks to my heart...rather strongly. Have not taken the leap yet, but I can look down the road and see whats coming.

OTOH..... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFIkeXQI8nI

Interesting. RT @JesseRodriguez NYC Mayor Bloomberg to hold 7:30pm news conference; announcement believed to be terror-related

US Man Arrested In New York City Bomb Plot - Officials

NEW YORK (AFP)--New York authorities announced Sunday they had arrested and charged a U.S. citizen in a plot to build a pipe bomb to kill government workers, elected officials and others.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said 27-year-old Jose Pimentel was an....sympathizer....(Snip)

Come on take a guess...And if you're thinking Shriner's, or NASCAR, well I'm not saying your wrong....but you're a little short on being right.

FBI declined to pursue NYC bomb plot, NYPD says

U.S. authorities declined to pursue a case against an "al-Qaida sympathizer" accused of plotting to bomb police stations and post offices in the New York area because they believed he was mentally unstable and incapable of pulling it off, two law enforcement officials said Monday.

New York Police Department investigators sought to get the FBI involved at least twice as their undercover investigation of Jose Pimentel unfolded, the officials said. Both times, the FBI concluded that he wasn't a serious threat, they said.

The FBI concluded that the 27-year-old Pimentel "didn't have the predisposition or the ability to do anything on his own," one of the officials said.

U.S. authorities declined to pursue a case against an "al-Qaida sympathizer" accused of plotting to bomb police stations and post offices in the New York area because they believed he was mentally unstable and incapable of pulling it off, two law enforcement officials said Monday.

New York Police Department investigators sought to get the FBI involved at least twice as their undercover investigation of Jose Pimentel unfolded, the officials said. Both times, the FBI concluded that he wasn't a serious threat, they said.

The FBI concluded that the 27-year-old Pimentel "didn't have the predisposition or the ability to do anything on his own," one of the officials said.

Plus....................needless bad press for our defacto State Religion [as if the Lame Stream Media would cover] & for the Occupy DC group [I'm not sure whether they are one of the Occubagger groups to have a confirmed kill or not, but "air-kill's" don't count]

Occupy Calgary protesters cool to city deal, again ask for electric hookups

Last Thursday, city officials presented protesters with an informal proposal that would allow them to host several public forums and establish an information booth somewhere near the plaza in exchange for the group leaving the park.

But protesters balked at the offer, citing several concerns including the proposal’s informal nature. Doncaster invited Mayor Naheed Nenshi and other city officials down to the camp for further discussions.

They won’t even come down to our (general assemblies) and recognize us,” he said. “That is an open line of communication that needs to be acknowledged.”

Several protesters called for access to electrical services before they’d continue talks with the city. Bruce said there is no plan to offer power to the camp.

“That’s not on the table from the city’s side,” he said. “Realistically, we’ve cautioned them about the weather.”

The idea of continuing without power didn’t sit well with all the occupiers. Anthony Hall, a University of Lethbridge professor who recently joined the movement, said they have the right to use electrical devices, such as laptops.

Hall would like to see city hall engage the group in a respectful discussion on the matter.

“We’re human beings,” he said. “He (Bruce) deals with bylaws and animals, and he’s dealing with us like we’re animals. We’re humans. It’s winter in Canada.”

h/t smalldeadanimals.com

Weasel Zippers

(IBD) — The Labor Department today announced that it had approved Trade Adjustment Assistance for the former employees of the bankrupt solar panel maker Solyndra.

That means all of the firm’s 1,100 ex-employees are eligible for federal aid packages, including job retraining and income assistance. The department has valued packages at about $13,000 a head.

Taxpayers will have to cough up yet another $14.3 million as a result of Solyndra’s bankruptcy. They are already on the hook for $528 million in federal loan guarantees to the company that are unlikely to ever be paid back.

Weasel Zippers

(IBD) — The Labor Department today announced that it had approved Trade Adjustment Assistance for the former employees of the bankrupt solar panel maker Solyndra.

That means all of the firm’s 1,100 ex-employees are eligible for federal aid packages, including job retraining and income assistance. The department has valued packages at about $13,000 a head.

Taxpayers will have to cough up yet another $14.3 million as a result of Solyndra’s bankruptcy. They are already on the hook for $528 million in federal loan guarantees to the company that are unlikely to ever be paid back.

Can't tell you happy this makes me feel. $13,000 + 99 weeks unemployment.

I find this extremely disturbing. Thank God for the NYPD Counter Terrorism unit!

A question could be asked, will anyone at the FBI have to answer for this?

More proof as to why I do not watch MSNBC........ especially Morning Joe.

But then you will be missing this:

Meghan McCain — daughter of Republican senator John McCain — has been named a contributor by MSNBC.

The younger McCain’s first order of business in her new role will be an appearance today on NOW with Alex Wagner.