Debate - Smaller names, big intrigue in first GOP presidential debate

clearvision

WestVirginiaRebel

Pawlenty: You either cooperate with us or there will be consequences (Pakistan.) I want to engage Pakistan. They have to be a partner, not an antagonist. They have not been a good partner to us in that region.

Paul: I guess Israel will have to do what's in their best interests...I don't want any of this foreign aide. We should never intrude on what Israel wants to do.

Johnson: Doesn't favor tariffs.

WestVirginiaRebel

Pawlenty getting in good comments on Obama and Libya.

I think Pawlenty is really establishing himself in this debate.

I think that was Santorium that said that, not Pawlenty. Of course, I could very well be wrong.

Pawlenty getting in good comments on Obama and Libya.

I think Pawlenty is really establishing himself in this debate.

Agreed. I'm impressed.

clearvision

Pawlenty still seems the most precise and clear in his answers, but not as much passion as others.

clearvision

Pawlenty effectively dodges ID question (push it to local districts) jumps back to union question.

WestVirginiaRebel

Paul: The government should be out of marriage. I shouldn't have to impose my standards on others. It should be at the state level. This is another area where he and I actually agree.

Defends the Defense of Marriage Act.

Johnson: I support a woman's right to choose up until viability. Public funds should not be used for abortion. For those who see this as their number one issue he knows he won't get their vote.

Pawlenty: Says stem cell research should be adult-derived.

Santorum: Anybody who would suggest we have a truce on social issues doesn't understand what America is about.

Cain: We need to get government out of the way including telling a company where to build a new plant.

Paul: Actually siding with Cain?

Pawlenty: We left intelligent design up to local schools. It should be left up to parents and local school districts, so there, Juan.

clearvision

Juan pushes on what he personally believes, he goes back to his previous answer.

clearvision

Pawlenty looks at camera and says he was wrong on cap™, made a mistake and has opposed it the past couple of years. Points out anyone in executive position will not have perfect record, and if someone does they should get up here.

WestVirginiaRebel

Pawlenty: We would study cap and trade but not impose it. I was wrong, it was a mistake, and I'm sorry. You're going to have a few clunkers in your record. Nobody's perfect.

Santorum: All women's choices should be affirmed including the right to stay at home. Radical feminism has created an atmosphere has created a society where working is affirmed and staying at home is not.

Ron Paul: Protect liberty across the board. He's actually making more sense here, too.

Johnson: Legalize, regulate and tax marijuana. Points out how much of law enforcement is drug related. Both Paul and Johnson actually do rather well here.

LOL. Cain on being asked about not holding previous govt. position. Most of the people in govt have previous experience and how is that working for ya.

WestVirginiaRebel

Paul: People vote with their bellies.

Cain: One bright decision does not a great president make. Zing!

Pawlenty: We can't restore America's promise if we have a President who can't keep his promises to the American people.

Santorum: You want somebody who can beat a Democratic incumbent in tough times? (Thumbs up.)

Johnson: Only Republicans are cabable of solving the problems right now.

clearvision

Why are they going to ask these guys about the "leaders" in the race that did not show?

This is not so much a debate but a framing of the GOP answers to good questions. Well done so far! Mitch Daniels is one I would like to see up there with them.

Why are they going to ask these guys about the "leaders" in the race that did not show?

The ones they showed do not interest me. Bachmann, Gingrich, Huck, Trump, and one more, not sure if Palin.

clearvision

Cain, I supported Romney, but now I don't because he did not win and I want my chance (or something like that).

WestVirginiaRebel

Cain: Romney did not win, so I'm gonna try my time.

Pawlenty: I think momentum is on my side.

Paul: Doesn't feel threatened by Michelle Bachman.

Santorum: Stand up for the truth and let the chips fall where they may (on Gingrich.)

Johnson: I hope to climb the highest mountain...

Paul: Bring troops home and restore sound money policy.

Cain: We need more leadership and not more positionship.

Pawlenty: We need to restore common sense to Washington.

Santorum: It's not just checking the boxes, it's having the courage to lead.

Johnson: Cost-benefit analysis to everything government does.

Debate ends.

Winner (IMO): Tim Pawlenty on substance

Runner-Up: Herman Cain