Debate - Smaller names, big intrigue in first GOP presidential debate

clearvision

clearvision
?cxntfid=blogs_kyle_wingfield
Atlanta Journal Constitution:

More than eight months before the Iowa caucuses, and almost exactly 18 months before the 2012 general election, a handful of GOP presidential hopefuls will debate tonight in Greenville, S.C. There will be no Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich — to name a couple of Republicans all but in the race; nor Mitch Daniels, Michele Bachmann or Jon Huntsman — to name some folks tip-toeing closer to candidacy; nor Sarah Palin, Chris Christie or Mike Huckabee — to name a few big names who seem closer to not running; nor Donald Trump — to name a guy who’s gone from ubiquitous to irrelevant in less than a week.

Despite all that, I think the debate could be very interesting.

Here’s who’s in: Herman Cain, Gary Johnson, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty and Rick Santorum. And here’s why this could be a fun group to watch tonight... :snip:

----------
9PM Eastern

As president, would you put out dead Osama picture. Herman says no, Pawlenty and I think it was Johnson said they would.

edited to correct Obama to Osama. :huh:

edited to add: all said they would except Cain.

WestVirginiaRebel

Rick Santorum: Says he's not anti-Islam but recognizing reality...says we need to engage Moderate Muslims. Says we can't keep the ideological battle in the closet.

Ron Paul worried about Americans being subject to the same treatment that detainees were getting...

Pawlenty: I support enhanced interrogation techniques under limited circumstances.

Paul and Johnson would not support waterboarding under any circumstances.

Actually really good questions being asked...and answered.

Cain, Pawlenty and Santorium are actually doing well.

WestVirginiaRebel

Pawlenty goes after the Obama administration over Boeing!

He sounds like the adult in this group.

clearvision

So far he is setting himself apart. He has to if he wants to move forward.

Pawlenty goes after the Obama administration over Boeing!

He sounds like the adult in this group.

He really is doing well.

WestVirginiaRebel

Cain: Get our own oil out of the ground.

Pawlenty: Romney's not here to defend himself, lol. Obama broke his promise on health care. He's getting a lot of applause here.

I am impressed w/Santorium's answers, too. These 3 are getting so many good points out there.

WestVirginiaRebel

Paul: Tort reform is a state matter. I actually agree with him on this.

Notice that he and Johnson are on either end of the more serious (IMO) candidates.

Paul: Tort reform is a state matter. I actually agree with him on this.

Notice that he and Johnson are on either end of the more serious (IMO) candidates.

I do, too.

Ha. The bookends.

WestVirginiaRebel

Well, I think Pawlenty has established a possible base for himself in South Carolina, which will be important in the primaries.

WestVirginiaRebel

Ron Paul loves gold?

Cain: A flat tax replaces all Federal tax. Not so rich would benefit with a prebate.

Pawlenty: Every budget of mine has been balanced. Current cycle actually ends in the black. Blames legislature for not making payments permanent.

Johnson: Block-grant Medicare and Medicaid to the states (something else I tend to agree with.)

Cain: Arizona did not go to far; give the states the power to do what the Federal government won't.

Santorum: We're not doing anyone any favors by not teaching them the language of success.

Johnson: Make it as easy as possible for immigrants to work here legally. Let them get a visa.

WestVirginiaRebel

Cain: Re Libya versus Syria: We need a real clear strategy. Inconsistencies in the president's decisions and actions.

Pawlenty: Had the president been decisive, we could have shoved him (Qaddafi) out. Obama has his hands tied by the UN.