Tea Party leaders not swayed by Lugar meeting

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
tea-party-leaders-not-swayed-by-lugar-meeting
CNN:

Washington (CNN) - Hoping to head off a primary challenge from the right, Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Indiana, sat down with Tea Party leaders last month but did little to persuade them of his conservative credentials.

The two-hour meeting, which took place over breakfast on Dec. 13th at a Marriott hotel in downtown Indianapolis, was described by participants on both sides as "cordial," but the Tea Party activists left vowing to oppose Lugar's bid for a seventh term.

"The Senator said he hoped he could earn the support of the Tea Party, and that he is conservative," said Greg Fettig, the co-founder of Hoosier Patriots. Fettig was joined in the meeting by Monica Boyer of Kosciusko "Silent No More," a Tea Party group in northeast Indiana.

"We obviously would beg to differ that he is conservative, and our experience is that he won't get the support of any Tea Party group across the state," Fettig told CNN. "This is something that has really been building for years. A lot of Tea Party people have said, 'Who is this guy? He might as well have a 'D' in front of his name.'"

Fettig and Boyer originally requested the meeting as representatives of Hoosiers for Conservative Senate, an organization of roughly 60 Tea Party groups formed to find a conservative primary challenger to Lugar, or force his retirement.

Lugar and a pair of staffers discussed a range of federal issues, including the role of earmarks and the Federal Reserve. Fettig and Boyer objected to Lugar's sponsorship of the DREAM Act, his support for the ratification of the START nuclear arms treaty during the lame-duck session of Congress, and his votes to confirm Supreme Court Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

Mark Hayes, a spokesman for Lugar, was in the room and acknowledged that "not everybody is going to agree with everything" the senator has done in his long career.

But, Hayes told CNN, "[Lugar's] preference is to sit down and have a conversation, to understand where they're coming from, and really to point out the high degree of similarities, for the most part, on a lot of different issues. It was a good conversation."

Fettig called Lugar "likeable" and "a lovely human being," but said Lugar should prepare for a Tea Party challenge.

"We weren't swayed," he told CNN. "We equated it to going out on a football field, shaking hands, flipping the coins, and game on. He wants to win, and we want to win."
________

Complacent Republicans should be challenged on their records (and, if necessary, voted out of office) but as long as Republicans have the majority the GOP and Tea Party should find ways to hold their noses and work together. If the Tea Party goes third party that only helps the other side IMO.

ErnstBlofeld

Richard Lugar may be a moron, but he is is the senior United States Senator from Indiana and been Senator of Indiana since 1976. In other words, he has been around the block more than once.He also sits on the powerful Foreign Relations committee where he has been Chairman from 1985 to 1987 and 2003 to 2007 .Lugar is currently the third most senior senator and the most senior Republican member of the Senate, putting him in place to be elected President pro tempore of the Senate should Republicans gain control of the body.

Richard Lugar may be a moron, but he is is the senior United States Senator from Indiana and been Senator of Indiana since 1976. He also sits on the powerful Foreign Relations committee where he has been Chairman.Lugar is currently the third most senior senator and the most senior Republican member of the Senate, putting him in place to be elected President pro tempore of the Senate should Republicans gain control of the body.

The fact that he has been a Senator since 1976 is reason #1, I would like to see him gone. #2 is his love affair with his "rock star" buddy, Obama, #3 is his Russian connections to #2.

He is certainly not a moron, but his time in the Senate should be done. I feel that towards anyone who has been there that long. Orrin Hatch included.

Richard Lugar may be a moron, but he is is the senior United States Senator from Indiana and been Senator of Indiana since 1976. In other words, he has been around the block more than once.He also sits on the powerful Foreign Relations committee where he has been Chairman from 1985 to 1987 and 2003 to 2007 .Lugar is currently the third most senior senator and the most senior Republican member of the Senate, putting him in place to be elected President pro tempore of the Senate should Republicans gain control of the body.

See......reason enough right there to get him gone!

pollyannaish

Too long is too complacent. You get used to doing things the Washington way.

I believe there is one simple question to ask when it comes to knowing how long is too long:

If your senator or congressman was voted out of office today, would he drop his residence in your state and permanently make his home in DC?

The minute you say "I'm not sure" it's time for him/her to go.

pollyannaish

By the way, I don't think Lugar is a moron. I think he is smart and probably effective in his job at being a DC insider/power broker. Unfortunately, what he is effective at is exactly what we're trying to get rid of.

ErnstBlofeld

Richard Lugar may be a moron, but he is is the senior United States Senator from Indiana and been Senator of Indiana since 1976. He also sits on the powerful Foreign Relations committee where he has been Chairman.Lugar is currently the third most senior senator and the most senior Republican member of the Senate, putting him in place to be elected President pro tempore of the Senate should Republicans gain control of the body.

fact that he has been a Senator since 1976 is reason #1, I The would like to see him gone. #2 is his love affair with his "rock star" buddy, Obama, #3 is his Russian connections to #2.

He is certainly not a moron, but his time in the Senate should be done. I feel that towards anyone who has been there that long. Orrin Hatch included.

There is a dispute of who has been there the longest.The dispute is over the interpretation of the Republican Conference seniority rules.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/13/AR2009091302371.html

The fact that he has been a Senator since 1976 is reason #1, I would like to see him gone. #2 is his love affair with his "rock star" buddy, Obama, #3 is his Russian connections to #2.

There is a dispute of who has been there the longest.The dispute is over the interpretation of the Republican Conference seniority rules.

Any member whose years in service is in dispute, has been there too dang long.

ErnstBlofeld

The dispute might come to a head when the the Senate falls under Republican rule.Seems both lawmakers were sworn in on the same day -- Jan. 3, 1977.

fact that he has been a Senator since 1976 is reason #1, I The would like to see him gone. #2 is his love affair with his "rock star" buddy, Obama, #3 is his Russian connections to #2.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/13/AR2009091302371.html

I don't believe anybody here gives a rat's patoot where he fits in the Seniority Beauty Pageant. We all know you have the Republican Boy Scout merit badges, Ernst, but with all due respect; seniority & working with the "dark" side, is soon to be out of vogue.

ErnstBlofeld

I don't believe anybody here gives a rat's patoot where he fits in the Seniority Beauty Pageant. We all know you have the Republican Boy Scout merit badges, Ernst, but with all due respect; seniority & working with the other side, is soon to be out of vogue.

The Senate operate with totally different rules than The House of Representatives. The have far more perks.Generally, senior senators will have more power, though being a member of the majority party is more advantageous than being senior. In addition, by custom the senior senators from the president's party control federal patronage appointments in their states. Thus being the junior senator is disadvantageous if the senior one is from the same party. But this is the key and very important point.Senators are given preferential treatment in choosing committee assignments based on seniority.If you are the junior Senator you might be assigned to the Science committee. As time passes and you can seniority, you will be assigned to the bigger committees such as Appropriations or Armed Services committee. Greater seniority enables a senator to choose a desk closer to the front of the Senate Chamber.There are 11 factors considered in calculating seniority

The dispute might come to a head when the the Senate falls under Republican rule.Seems both lawmakers were sworn in on the same day -- Jan. 3, 1977.

Then they both should retire! Indiana and Utah best have some good candidates to run.

ErnstBlofeld

Then they both should retire! Indiana and Utah best have some good candidates to run.

Well, they do not want to retire because they will give up their power and PAC money.

ErnstBlofeld

Well then, more the reason they should go. I will be interested to see who Indiana and Utah put forth as candidates.

They will but a trapped animal expect them to fight back. I will tell you my experience with a United States Senator. This meeting was at the height the Monica Lewinsky affair. I met John Ashcroft at a fundraiser meeting and speech here in Irvine, California at the Mariott Hotel. I made the mistake of making a comment about the way it was being handled that the senator did not like. The only person that saved from being ejected was former Attorney General Ed Meese who I met earlier in the evening.I later learned he was the only dissenter in my Senatorial Medal Of Freedom nomination.I learned to respect their position because they can crush your nuts.

Well then, more the reason they should go. I will be interested to see who Indiana and Utah put forth as candidates.

They will but a trapped animal expect them to fight back. I will tell you my experience with a United States Senator. This meeting was at the height the Monica Lewinsky affair. I met John Ashcroft at a fundraiser meeting and speech here in Irvine, California at the Mariott Hotel. I made the mistake of making a comment about the way it was being handled that the senator did not like. The only person that saved from being ejected was former Attorney General Ed Meese who I met earlier in the evening.I later learned he was the only dissenter in my Senatorial Medal Of Freedom nomination.I learned to respect their position because they can crush your nuts.

They can fight back all they want, the voters in that district will make the determination. I hope the voters are given a better choice...if not, they get Lugar and Hatch...and so do we.

ErnstBlofeld

They can fight back all they want, the voters in that district will make the determination. I hope the voters are given a better choice...if not, they get Lugar and Hatch...and so do we.

Senator is not a district office but a statewide office. Remember, every state has a different dynamic.A senator can do poorly in one region but win in most other regions.A House member are elected directly by voters in districts drawn by their State governments. Each district would contain approximately 30,000 people.The Founders intended that the House be seen as more closely representing the will of the people than the Senate.The Founders hoped Senators would be more likely to consider the long-term effects of legislation and practice a more mature, thoughtful and deeply deliberative approach in their deliberations

ErnstBlofeld

I learned to respect their position because they can crush your nuts.

Wear. A. Cup.

Actually their assistants will. Thank you Mr.Meese

ErnstBlofeld

Senator is not a district office but a statewide office. Remember, every state has a different dynamic.A senator can do poorly in one region but win in most other regions.A House member are elected directly by voters in districts drawn by their State governments. Each district would contain approximately 30,000 people.The Founders intended that the House be seen as more closely representing the will of the people than the Senate.The Founders hoped Senators would be more likely to consider the long-term effects of legislation and practice a more mature, thoughtful and deeply deliberative approach in their deliberations

The Senate, whose members represent entire states and which needs 60 votes to pass almost anything, is all about compromise and deal making; the House, whose members represent mostly safe congressional districts, is much more polarized.However, each senator is a very powerful public official himself. Each one of them has certain powers that can actually stop almost anything. To limit this power, the Senate operates under the principle of unanimous consent agreement.s

I think that Lugar's days are numbered. Have been since he proclaimed Obama his idol and rock star as they did the Russian behind the scene deals.

Don't trust him and want him gone.

I'm hoping Indiana feels the same and makes it happen with a good, conservative alternative. I feel confident as the state was confident in Mitch Daniels.

IMHO