Ron DeSantis Signs Bill That Takes Sledgehammer To Squatters’ Rights

Geee

Daily Caller

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Wednesday to crack down on squatters taking over homes in the state.

A TikToker recently went viral for telling illegal migrants how to use squatters’ rights to steal Americans’ homes, and there have been reports of squatters in states like New York. DeSantis said this new legislation will speed up and simplify the process to remove squatters from homes during a press conference on the bill in Orlando.

“We are putting an end to the squatters scam in Florida,” DeSantis said. “While other states are siding with the squatters, we are protecting property owners and punishing criminals looking to game the system.”

The previous judicial process could be lengthy, but HB 621 streamlines it, DeSantis said. It allows homeowners to ask a sheriff’s officer to remove squatters from their property and will go into effect on July 1, according to its summary.:snip:

Squatters Invaded His Mom's House—so He Fought Back - John Stossel

Thanks to "squatters' rights" laws, evicting a squatter can be so expensive and cumbersome that some people simply walk away from their homes.

What if you come home and find strangers living in your house?

I assumed you order the squatters out, and if they resist, call the police, and they will kick them out.

Wrong.

Pro-tenant laws passed by anti-capitalist politicians now protect squatters. If a squatter just lies about having a lease, the police won't intervene.

"It's a civil matter," they'll say. "Sort it out in court."

Great. Court might cost $20,000. Or more. And courts are so slow, eviction might take years.:snip:

Anti-squatting 'professional' celebrates Florida ban, as other state laws frustrate homeowners

The practice of squatting — or living in a home against the wishes of homeowners, often being protected by Byzantine civil statutes — is becoming a trend in the United States.

However, upon the passage of a bipartisan state law in Florida that effectively bans the ability for unwanted house guests to stay as long as they want, a self-described anti-squatting activist and "professional" squatter-remover told Fox News he hopes more states will follow suit.

Flash Shelton first encountered squatting when individuals made themselves at home long-term at his mother's California house after his father died. 

Shelton recounted to "America Reports" on Wednesday how police informed him that their hands were tied on a criminal justice level, and that evicting the squatters would have to be a civil matter.

"I decided to break the laws down and figured out that if they could take a house, I could take a house, and I got my squatters out in less than a day, and I decided to devote the attention I was getting from my YouTube channel to do something good," Shelton, who is the founder of the United Handymans Association, said.:snip:

Venezuelan Migrant Who Instructs Illegal Aliens on How to Invade American Homes and Invoke Squatter’s Rights is Now a Fugitive

Leonel Moreno, a Venezuelan illegal immigrant who has gained notorious attention for instructing illegal aliens on how to squat in American homes, is now evading authorities, as confirmed by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) according to the New York Post.

Moreno’s activities came to light when his TikTok account @leitooficial_25 was suspended for violating the platform’s policies against promoting criminal behavior. He had attracted a following of over 500,000 before the suspension.

“If a house is not inhabited, we can seize it,” he asserts in the video, which has now been viewed nearly 4 million times.

In the controversial clip, Moreno speaks in Spanish, elaborating on his plans to squat in the U.S.:snip:

Ron DeSantis Signs Bill That Insures Poor People Have No Place To Live.

@Geee

I think I'm ready for MSNBC.

35 minutes ago, Valin said:

Ron DeSantis Signs Bill That Insures Poor People Have No Place To Live.

@Geee

I think I'm ready for MSNBC.

I think you've been checking in to DU too long :P

• Haha 1

SDwaters
1 hour ago, Geee said:

California elite enraged after squatters invade $5M home in LeBron James, Jennifer Lopez's luxury neighborhood

Wealthy Californians in a neighborhood on the outskirts of Beverly Hills are reportedly enraged after a $5 million home was invaded by squatters and became a source of rowdy parties. 

:snip:

"The neighbors heard through the grapevine that someone from the [George Gascón] DA’s office, apparently having heard about the situation at 1316, had said, ‘Squatters have rights.’ This set the group chat aflame. ‘Welcome to California,’ one wrote. ‘Thanks Liberals,’" Curbed reported. 

I wonder of many of the same neighbors donated to Gascón's campaign and/or voted against his recall.

• Like 1

Investigative Issues: Squatters' Rights Laws Violate the Takings Clause

In recent weeks, there has been a lot of media coverage of squatters' rights laws that sometimes have the effect of blocking property owners from removing trespassers who occupy their houses without the owners' permission. ...

As often happens when an issue attracts media attention, it is hard to tell from early reports how widespread the issue actually is. But even a few cases of successful squatting may be problematic, because they could incentivize imitation. Media attention could accelerate that process.

Ideally, state and local governments should make it easy for property owners to swiftly remove squatters, and should subject the trespassers to civil and criminal sanctions. But where they instead facilitate this violation of property rights, the laws that do so violate the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment, which requires payment of "just compensation" whenever the government takes "private property.":snip:

SDwaters

Acedemic question:  If someone who keeps firearms in their home comes back from a trip to find "squatters" in the house immediately calls the police to report the fact, think they'd get more of a response? 

54 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

Acedemic question:  If someone who keeps firearms in their home comes back from a trip to find "squatters" in the house immediately calls the police to report the fact, think they'd get more of a response? 

Well, that's probably a yes (even if you were doing a sarc) - but it does raise questions. Does possession of the home include possession of possessions? What if you left a car in the garage? 

• Like 1

SDwaters
30 minutes ago, Geee said:

What if you left a car in the garage? 

That occurred to me too.  I'd certainly report all of my possessions stolen.  

Wasn't being sarcastic with the question.  Several friends/relatives have significant collections.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDwaters said:

I'd certainly report all of my possessions stolen.  

So, does it count as stolen??? This is SO confusing.

1 hour ago, Geee said:

@SDwaters

'Fairly big problem': Squatters invade homes and refuse to leave. How is this legal?

In this article, they sold the furniture and the car and go NO penalty.

Part of the problem is The Laws governing this (squatting) have not caught up with the Reality on the ground. I recall stories from Years ago where the police say (rightly) this is a civil matter not a criminal matter, we have no jurisdiction. Its not Right in any way...But...ya know. Then when you do get them out  there's a REAL good chance you're gonna have to redo  the house.

SDwaters
1 hour ago, Geee said:

8 illegal immigrants squatting near Bronx school arrested on drug, gun charges

Eight illegal immigrants have been arrested after being caught squatting in a Bronx property filled with weapons and drugs. A 7-year-old child was also discovered in the basement of the home, which was located next to a school.

Mayor Adams to sue the property owner in 3. . . .2 . . . 1. . . .

36 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

Mayor Adams to sue the property owner in 3. . . .2 . . . 1. . . .

The-Bizarro-World-2-170806384.jpg

• Like 1

NYC squatters are cashing in on legal loopholes and crowded courts to take over homes — and good luck getting them out: experts

The Big Apple is seeing a troublesome trend of unwelcome squatters illegally bedding down in private homes and apartments in the five boroughs — and it’s gotten much harder to kick them out.

A backlog of housing court cases and changes in the law in recent years have made it a bigger and longer-lasting headache for landlords to boot unwelcome tenants, legal experts tell The Post.

“This is happening far more now than in the past,” real estate attorney Josh Price said. “Squatters have become far more sophisticated than before. They set up elaborate schemes, fake documents and investigate the homes before breaking in.”

Two changes in city law in 2019 now dictate that landlords can’t just boot a squatter without a “special proceeding,” and have to file a lawsuit to get them out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Geee said:

NYC squatters are cashing in on legal loopholes and crowded courts to take over homes — and good luck getting them out: experts

Two changes in city law in 2019 now dictate that landlords can’t just boot a squatter without a “special proceeding,” and have to file a lawsuit to get them out.

The problem is n most places its civil not criminal.

24 minutes ago, Valin said:

The problem is n most places its civil not criminal.

Doesn't make sense. Stealing your car is criminal - stealing your house is not:blink: