Government Shutdown/Obamacare Thread II

Valin

The Electoral Aftermath of the Shutdown

By Sean Trende - October 18, 2013

The consensus (more or less) among political analysts was that the GOP was likely to lose in the shutdown showdown, but was unlikely to suffer serious electoral consequences. The first prediction appears to be the case (but see Peter Beinart's smart contrarian take). How about the second one?

It is early, but what evidence we have seems consistent with the idea that the GOP didn’t take on much electoral water from this loss. This isn’t to say that there isn’t any evidence that the shutdown hurt Republicans, but the idea that their prospects were seriously jeopardized is thin.

Start with Wednesday night’s Senate election in New Jersey. Democrat Cory Booker defeated Republican Steve Lonegan by just over 10 points, 54.6 percent to 44.3 percent. This result is right in the middle of previous Republican gubernatorial and Senate performances in the state (gubernatorial races are in odd years; Senate races are typically in even years): Scissors-32x32.png

But for now, there’s really not much evidence that Republicans took it on the chin, Scissors-32x32.png
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/10/18/the_electoral_aftermath_of_the_shutdown.html

Frank Salvato
October 22, 2013

The Opportunistic Politics Rolls On

October 22, 2013 - Just as the American people begin eying the torches and pitchforks, readying their maps of Washington, DC, the establishment politicos have set themselves to brazenly cover their butts yet again. This time, they are proposing a way to absolve themselves from tough votes on raising the debt ceiling.

In the aftermath of our current President's disingenuous declaration that raising the debt ceiling "doesn't necessarily mean adding to the debt," and his infantile temper-tantrum about the government being held "hostage" because House Republicans wouldn't let him have the federal credit card for his "date with destiny," it isn't surprising that the usual suspects are floating a fiscally irresponsible, but politically advantageous, plan to avoid the ugliness of actually governing where the debt and debt ceiling are concerned.

RedState.com reports
:

On Meet the Press, Chuck Schumer, who has enthusiastically praised [senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell, (Ri-KY), for doing his bidding, announced that he would introduce legislation echoing the “McConnell rule.”

"Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) will propose legislation that would make permanent a plan to take the decision to raise the country’s debt limit out of Congress’s hands. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://newmediajournal.us/indx.php/item/9438

22Oct

Obama won the shutdown battle. The prize? Everyone learns how incompetent he is.

By: DrJohn

One of the things the GOP sought during the “shutdown” was a delay in the individual mandate. Obama should have given it to them.

They knew the website was going to fail and fail early:

Days before the launch of President Obama’s online health ­insurance marketplace, government officials and contractors tested a key part of the Web site to see whether it could handle tens of thousands of consumers at the same time. It crashed after a simulation in which just a few hundred people tried to log on simultaneously.

Despite the failed test, federal health officials plowed ahead.

When the Web site went live Oct. 1, it locked up shortly after midnight as about 2,000 users attempted to complete the first step, according to two people familiar with the project.

And don’t you blame anyone in the regime!

http://youtu.be/Py1hsAbN34s

Scissors-32x32.png

http://floppingaces.net/2013/10/22/obama-won-the-shutdown-battle-the-prize-everyone-learns-how-incompetent-he-is/

• Like 1

Super picture, @SrWoodChuk

Thanks, @Pepper! Maybe a couple hundred other boxes for the great Uniter Un-tier!

There definitely needs to be a box with people who are able to fake a fainting spell.

• Like 3

@Pepper

What is scary is Obama's team is bringing in some sort of "National Fellow's" (some sort of Government designated smart people) to fix the problems. My experience with PhD types in general is you don't want them involved in writing code or engineering consumer type products.

@clearvision

True dat: you need to bring in up front your quality DBAs, SAs. PAs and large scale web architects.

You won't find any PhDs in that group 99 times out of a 100.

Putting in pointy heads from the government right now to lead them out of this fluster cluck is asking for trouble.... hmmmmmm

Brooks's law here or here

"adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"

• Like 1

@clearvision

True dat: you need to bring in up front your quality DBAs, SAs. PAs and large scale web architects.

Putting in pointy heads from the government right now to lead them out of this fluster cluck is asking for trouble.... hmmmmmm

ha, from your link:

Brooks adds that "Nine women can't make a baby in one month".

• Like 1

Hmmm.... where was CBS before the law was passed.... this was clearly going to happen.

Arrival of Obamacare forcing insurers to drop customers with low coverage

"I was completely happy with the insurance I had before," Willes said.

So she was surprised when she tried to renew her policy. What did she find out?

"That my insurance was going to be completely different, and they were going to be replaced with 10 new plans that were going to fall under the regulations of the Affordable Care Act," she said.

Her insurer, Kaiser Permanente, is terminating policies for 160,000 people in California and presenting them with new plans that comply with the healthcare law.

"Before I had a plan that I had a $1,500 deductible," she said. "I paid $199 dollars a month. The most similar plan that I would have available to me would be $278 a month. My deductible would be $6,500 dollars, and all of my care after that point would only be covered 70 percent."

@clearvision

ha, from your link:

Brooks adds that "Nine women can't make a baby in one month".

Best quote ever!!

• Like 1