Weekend Fixin's - Trying something new

Draggingtree

Weekend Fixin's - Trying something new

This is a take on a popular Amish dish. The recipe is a classic, upgraded with the wonder of some really unique oils and spices from Artesano's in Indianapolis (they ship anywhere). Everyone is happy when I come home with new products of theirs to try, (One recipe made, not pictured, sweet potatoes cut into chunks, roasted with a drizzle of  their walnut oil and then mashed with a drizzle of their cinnamon pear balsamic, white pepper and  butter).

I've a bunch of travel coming up (I'm not sure I'll be where I can post  or comment with any regularity, but I have saved posts in case).  But for tonight, a recipe from  a recent supper with friends, a home style menu of comfort food at its finest as we gathered round the table in fellowship, with thanks and a prayer for safe travels..

The chicken is coated in seasoned flour and slightly pan fried in walnut oil and butter until just the skin is cooked, golden and crispy, then covered with cream and paprika and cooked covered on low until it's fall off the bone tender and unbelieveably juicy.  Simple,  Uncomplicated. Amazing.  Much like the best kind of friendships.

Chicken Baked in Cream
8-9 pieces of chicken  (I used thighs and some meaty drumsticks)
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon Artisano's Himalaya Salt (the salt is pink in color, loaded with nutrients and really adds a great flavor to food, but regular salt will do).
3/4 teaspoon Pensey's ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 and 3/4 teaspoon Artisano's Poultry Seasoning (or your favorite).
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons Walnut Oil (also from Artisano's)

2 cups heavy cream
sweet, hot  or smoked paprika  (I used the sweet for tonight's supper)

Preheat oven to 300 F.  In large paper bag, mix flour and spices.  Melt the butter and Walnut oil in a well seasoned cast iron skillet on just a bit above medium but not quite medium high.  Moisten chicken with water  and shake in bag to coat. Saute the well floured chicken on both sides until the skin is starting to turn golden brown (the chicken will cook through in the oven, not in the pan and the meat will be still be quite pink at this point). Aim for about  7-9 minutes total. If need be, add a tiny bit more butter and oil as the last few pieces cook, lifting out any burned bits with a spatula to a paper towel. (The kitchen lighting is NOT good for photos but you get the idea of what it looks like when done).

Placed browned chicken on paper towels to absorb any excess oil, then place in a 13 x 9 inch pan when all the chicken is done. Cover chicken pieces with cream (if you don't have access to farm fresh cream, use heavy whipping cream, unwhipped).  Sprinkle with additional paprika.  Cover tightly with foil and bake two hours (no peaking!), while you prepare your side dishes.

I served it with steamed baby potatoes (drizzled with a dash of  chopped roasted garlic and some of the cream sauce), garden green beans cooked with  bacon and French herbs and homemade buttermilk biscuits.

I think my friends will still be around when I return, if only to see what I make for dessert.  Be safe everyone, in your lives and in  your travels.