Rush Limbaugh passes away

clearvision

Rush Limbaugh, influential talk radio pioneer who helped shape modern-day GOP, dead at 70

Rush Limbaugh, the monumentally influential media icon who transformed talk radio and politics in his decades behind the microphone, helping shape the modern-day Republican Party, died Wednesday morning at the age of 70 after a battle with lung cancer, his family announced.

Limbaugh's wife, Kathryn, made the announcement on his radio show. "Losing a loved one is terribly difficult, even more so when that loved one is larger than life," she said. "Rush will forever be the greatest of all time."

The radio icon learned he had Stage IV lung cancer in January 2020 and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Trump at the State of the Union address days later. First lady Melania Trump then presented America’s highest civilian honor to Limbaugh in an emotional moment on the heels of his devastating cancer diagnosis.:snip:

The Era of Limbaugh

Column: Why Rush Limbaugh matters

Florida governor Ron DeSantis spoke to Rush Limbaugh last fall at a gala dinner for the National Review Institute. The radio host was there to receive the William F. Buckley Jr. award. "He actually gave me one of the greatest compliments I've ever had," Limbaugh told his audience the next day. "He listed five great conservatives and put me in the list." DeSantis's pantheon: William F. Buckley Jr., Ronald Reagan, Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, and Limbaugh.

Good list. No media figure since Buckley has had a more lasting influence on American conservatism than Limbaugh, whose cumulative weekly audience is more than 20 million people. Since national syndication in 1988, Limbaugh has been the voice of conservatism, his three-hour program blending news, politics, and entertainment in a powerful and polarizing cocktail. His shocking announcement this week that he has advanced lung cancer, and his appearance at the State of the Union, where President Trump awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, are occasions to reflect on his impact.:snip:

• Like 1

Kayleigh McEnany remembers Rush Limbaugh: ‘I am the definition of a Rush Baby’

Former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany remembered Rush Limbaugh, who passed away Wednesday, as someone who "exhibited unrelenting boldness to share the truth," saying the United States is "better because of him."

"America has lost the giant of conservatism, a man who inspired tens of thousands of Rush Babies like me to enter politics and media," McEnany said. "I can say without hesitation I would not have entered this field if it were not for those rides in my dad’s pickup truck listening to Rush.":snip:

Tributes pour in for conservative 'legend' Rush Limbaugh: 'A hero for this country'

Tributes are pouring in for conservative radio giant Rush Limbaugh, who passed away on Wednesday at age 70 after a long battle with lung cancer. 

"God Bless you Rush. I love you. Always and ever," James Golden, known by his pseudonym Bo Snerdley and longtime producer of "The Rush Limbaugh Show" wrote on Twitter. 

"No words ... I just got news the Rush Limbaugh has passed away. thanks Rush for all you taught, gave and were. A hero to many. An icon. A patriot. A revolutionary that saved radio. Heavens gain, our loss," conservative radio host Glenn Beck reacted.

"RIP Rush Limbaugh, the creator of talk radio and by extension the alternative media, an indispensable and iconic conservative voice," The Daily Wire's Ben Shapiro said.

"There isn’t a broadcaster today who cannot give credit to Limbaugh," radio host Dana Loesch declared. "He created the industry and 'infotainment.' The modern conservative movement wouldn’t be what it is without his contribution before social media, before the Internet.":snip:

Donald Trump Jr. Retweeted

John Rich

@johnrich

When I was on Celebrity Apprentice, Rush Limbaugh made a donation of $100,000 dollars to St Jude Children's Hospital to support them, and my mission on the TV Show under the condition that he remained anonymous. I never said a word until now. He will be missed. #RIPRushLimbaugh

• Like 1

The 20 Greatest Quotes From Rush Limbaugh

Rush Limbaugh was one of the greatest figures of the last half-century and he could personally take credit for millions of people becoming conservative. He was a legend, an icon and he will be missed. In honor of a great man, here are Rush’s 20 greatest quotes.

20) “The liberals, you see, do not want to confront conservative ideas; they just attack conservatives as a group, and particularly their motives. If you believe what they say about us, you would think that if someone like Bill Bennett, or Jack Kemp, or myself were driving through South Central Los Angeles and looking at the slums and poverty, we would go: Oh, man, this is great – they’ve got nothing, so that means we get more. It’s simply preposterous. We all want to live in a great country. And for the country to fulfill its potential, you need individuals to be the best they can be – not the government taking care of people.”

19) “For government to give, it must first take away.”

18) “The people that make this country work, the people who pay on their mortgages, the people getting up and going to work, striving in this recession to not participate in it, they’re not the enemy. They’re the people that hire you. They’re the people that are going to give you a job.”:snip:

Limbaugh became synonymous with talk radio during his career, transforming the medium in the process

The man who boasted of having "talent on loan from God" has been called home.

Rush Limbaugh, the most prominent voice in conservative radio for 30-plus years, died of lung cancer today at the age of 70.

Limbaugh had been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer Jan. 20, 2019 but didn't share the information with his massive audience until a few days later, Feb. 3. He continued to host his nationally syndicated show during his treatments, spelled by a succession of guest hosts including Mark Steyn.

Limbaugh became synonymous with talk radio during his career, transforming the medium in the process. His success paved the way for a crush of younger stars including Mark Levin, Sean Hannity, Dennis Prager and, most recently, Ben Shapiro.:snip:

Rush Limbaugh Was My 'Radio Dad'

I knew this day would come. And when he wasn’t behind the “Golden EIB Microphone” for an extended period in the past week or so I knew it was coming soon. But I couldn’t bring myself to think about talk radio without Rush Limbaugh. The world – not just the terrestrial radio world – is poorer without him in it.

You’ll hear this from a lot of people, but Rush Limbaugh changed my life. He really did.

Millions will say how he changed their views about politics. Politicians will point to his support for the “Contract With America” helping Republicans sweep into office and taking the House back after 40 years. Younger politicians will say they were first inspired to speak their minds from Rush Limbaugh. People would often say “he just said what I was thinking!” Listeners would shake their heads at the absurdities, guffaw at the nonsense, and indulge their righteous indignation along with Rush Limbaugh. But mostly they’d laugh with him.

The radio icon gave birth to millions of “Rush Babies,” though he never had children of his own.

But he was my radio dad.:snip:

• Like 1

'American hero': Tributes pour in for Rush Limbaugh

:snip:"Rush Limbaugh was a giant. With his straightforward, simple articulation of conservatism, he inspired millions. He was one-of-a-kind and he will be missed," said Sen. Tom Cotton, a Republican from Arkansas.

Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz called the host a "giant," sending condolences to his family.

"Rush was a giant. We will miss his clarity on the airwaves and the kindness he brought to those around him. We wish his family comfort in these difficult times," Gaetz said.

Ohio Republican Rep. Jim Jordan praised Limbaugh by dubbing him the "greatest radio host of all-time."

"Rush Limbaugh was an icon, patriot, and American hero. No one fought harder for freedom and liberty. The greatest radio host of all-time will be missed by millions. God bless his family," Jordan said.:snip:

Nick Searcy: The Saddest Day

:snip:

Because to so many of us, Rush Limbaugh wasn’t just a guy on the radio that we agree with. He was part of our daily life. He was someone we talked to five days a week, for three hours a day. We laughed with him, cried with him, seethed with him, and blew off steam with him. He was who we turned to when the events of the day seemed impossible to process, when tragedy happened, when the actions of the government were incomprehensibly stupid and unfair — he was there with us.

He was more than a friend. He was a member of the family.:snip:

Rush Limbaugh Changed America

It is hard to say something about Rush Limbaugh that hasn’t already been said, but I’ll try.

I was there on the day of his debut.

I was working at WPBR, an ocean-front radio station in Palm Beach, Florida. It was August of 1988 and I was doing one of a number of commercial radio gigs while in college. At WPBR, I did news on the hour but also ran the board. This particular day, a new and different show was debuting at noon – a talk show with a point of view.

For me, the news of this new show was a technical headache. I had to capture the commercials off of the satellite for the Associated Press newscast to run through the Limbaugh show. I also had to frantically change satellite frequencies at the top of the hour and six minutes after the top to get the Limbaugh frequency. These were sharp little dials at floor level on the receiver. It might sound easy, but in the days of tape, it wasn’t.

Before Rush, talk radio was different. Talk radio was about cotton-candy issues.  Larry King on the Mutual Broadcast Network hosted an overnight parade of callers talking about pets, childhood memories, landscaping, and just how they were doing. Scores of local talk show hosts – like Perry Marshall at KDKA in Pittsburgh – entertained with friendly chat, the sweet cotton candy that dissolves away quick into meaninglessness.

That was radio B.R. – Before Rush.:snip:

@Geee

Christian Adams has this piece: “The Mob Tears at the Foundations of Civilization in London and America,” and normally what I do when I go through a piece, I’ll highlight it. I figure, “I’m not gonna read the whole thing.”

I mean, not everything is worth being read. So I went through this, every paragraph and said, “Yeah, gotta read that. Yeah, gotta read that. Yeah, gotta read that.”  J. Christian Adams was in the civil rights division of Justice Department. He quit when Eric Holder and the DOJ decided not to prosecute the New Black Panther Party in Philadelphia for voter intimidation. When the Justice Department under Obama and Holder said, “Ah, there is no such thing as black-on-white crime; we’re not gonna prosecute that,” he said, well, I’m outta here. “Watching London burn, one cannot help but sense something has gone awry in the west. London, the cradle of our law, spins toward lawlessness. The law, the steady framework of our civilization, seems incapable of response,” and, by the way, that is ever-so-true here as well.

How soon we forget. The London Riots...Eric Holder...etc.

I fear we are in for more of the same...if not worse.

The Rush Limbaugh I Knew -  Cal Thomas

The man who picked me up at an airport too many years ago to recall the date asked if I had ever heard of a guy named Rush Limbaugh. When I said I had not, he turned on the car radio and said, “listen.” After 15 minutes I was hooked.

Limbaugh, who died of lung cancer on Wednesday at age 70, spoke my values. He didn’t tell people what or how to think, as his detractors often charged, but reflected what many conservative Americans already believed.

He often used humor and satire to drive home his points and he was so good at it that he attracted a huge audience. More than 600 radio stations carried his three-hour program.

He was loved by millions who had never met him. When I finally met him, I was surprised at his humility. Don’t laugh. He was an entertainer, as well as a commentator, and he understood that to hold the attention of an audience one must do both. In person he was not who you heard on the radio.:snip:

Hillsdale College’s Dr. Larry Arnn: Rush Limbaugh ‘A Force of Nature’

:snip:Arnn said:

My friend Rush Limbaugh, who died today, was a force of nature. More than any other individual, he was responsible for breaking the Left’s media monopoly. His voice on the radio, where he has promoted Hillsdale College for more than 10 years, will never be equaled. He loved our country always, and came to a deep love of God. His massive audience will miss him, I will miss him, and the country will miss him. Our prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace.:snip:

Rush Limbaugh, RIP - David Horowitz

A great American is gone. Rush Limbaugh devoted his life and his great talents to defending the country he loved against its enemies without and within. Therefore, we have also lost a great warrior in the struggle for human freedom. For America remains – as Lincoln said, “the last best hope of earth.” In the same breath, Lincoln also warned that “we shall nobly save, or meanly lose” this hope. Rush was a shining model for all those patriots who are fighting to nobly save this great human experiment, which is under siege today.

Rush Limbaugh was as generous a human being as he was a stalwart fighter for the cause all of us who loved him and this country share. It was our pleasure and great honor to know him and call him a friend. He was a speaker at several Restoration Weekends hosted by the Center and on his radio show helped us to spread our message. I am forever grateful for the attention he drew to my own books, beginning with Radical Son, which were all written in the service of our common cause.:snip: