Republicans object after Sen. Leahy announces he, not Chief Justice Roberts, will preside over impeachment trial

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
republicans-object-after-leahy-announces-he-not-chief-justice-roberts-will-preside-over-impeachment-trial
The Blaze

As the Senate prepares to conduct an impeachment trial for former President Donald Trump, Republicans are criticizing the procedural development — that Chief Justice John Roberts will not preside over the tria

Instead, Senate President Pro Tempore Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) will preside over the trial. Leahy, the most senior Democrat in the chamber, announced Monday he will hold the gavel and pledged to deliver "impartial justice."

"The president pro tempore has historically presided over Senate impeachment trials of non-presidents. When presiding over an impeachment trial, the president pro tempore takes an additional special oath to do impartial justice according to the Constitution and its laws. It is an oath that I take extraordinarily seriously," Leahy said.

"I consider holding the office of the president pro tempore and the responsibilities that come with it to be one of the highest honors and most serious responsibilities of my career. When I preside over the impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump, I will not waver from my constitutional and sworn obligations to administer the trial with fairness, in accordance with the Constitution and the laws."

________

I'm sure it will be totally fair...

Senate President Pro Tempore Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) will preside over the trial.

That's nice. Just one more reason this whole thing is a farce...and a very poor one.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all

Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When *the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

*Donald Trump is no longer President

SOP for the Dems.  Ignore the law as written (election procedures, immigration, the Constitution, etc.) and pretend that it's somehow valid and unifying to just make up stuff to suit their passion of the moment..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

SOP for the Dems.  Ignore the law as written (election procedures, immigration, the Constitution, etc.) and pretend that it's somehow valid and unifying to just make up stuff to suit their passion of the moment..

I feel unified...like the Borg.

37 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

hqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

Jan. 26 2021

Senator Rand Paul recently called the Democrats’ efforts to continue with President Trump’s impeachment trial a ‘sham,’ and he tells Glenn it’s the ‘most divisive’ thing Democrats could do right now. ‘This is an illegitimate process from top to bottom,’ he says, adding that his point will be further proven if Chief Justice John Roberts skips the trial. Plus, Sen. Paul explains why the Dems’ argument that former President Trump ‘incited violence’ is hugely hypocritical: They used similar language in 2017, he says, and it nearly cost the life of Rep. Steve Scalise.

2 hours ago, Valin said:

Jan. 26 2021

Senator Rand Paul recently called the Democrats’ efforts to continue with President Trump’s impeachment trial a ‘sham,’ and he tells Glenn it’s the ‘most divisive’ thing Democrats could do right now. ‘This is an illegitimate process from top to bottom,’ he says, adding that his point will be further proven if Chief Justice John Roberts skips the trial. Plus, Sen. Paul explains why the Dems’ argument that former President Trump ‘incited violence’ is hugely hypocritical: They used similar language in 2017, he says, and it nearly cost the life of Rep. Steve Scalise.

From The Comments

Swolelasaurus Rex 34 seconds ago

Based on his childish logic, a President can just wait until their last day in office to cause sheer anarchy to the US and incite their followers to violence and then by the next day he can just walk free. Yup, I'm sure the Trump Party will totally let it slide if a Dem does that.

George Synan 1 minute ago

"the likes of which has neve been seen in the nation's history". Wow that is something trump would say. Convict trump. It was an insurrection. Trump inspired it. Treason & traitor.

Julian Hall 14 minutes ago

so funny to watch him flailing around with nothing but deflection of blame for trump and trump republicans' role in the riot at the capitol and complaining about the impeachment being "divisive", when he is powerless to stop the process

The Senate just voted on my constitutional point of order. 45 Senators agreed that this sham of a “trial” is unconstitutional. That is more than will be needed to acquit and to eventually end this partisan impeachment process. This “trial” is dead on arrival in the Senate.

:thumbup:

4 hours ago, Valin said:

From The Comments

Swolelasaurus Rex 34 seconds ago

Based on his childish logic, a President can just wait until their last day in office to cause sheer anarchy to the US and incite their followers to violence and then by the next day he can just walk free. Yup, I'm sure the Trump Party will totally let it slide if a Dem does that.

George Synan 1 minute ago

"the likes of which has neve been seen in the nation's history". Wow that is something trump would say. Convict trump. It was an insurrection. Trump inspired it. Treason & traitor.

Julian Hall 14 minutes ago

so funny to watch him flailing around with nothing but deflection of blame for trump and trump republicans' role in the riot at the capitol and complaining about the impeachment being "divisive", when he is powerless to stop the process

@Geee

Also Here