Liz Cheney censured in Wyoming for vote to impeach Trump: 'Did not represent our voice'

Valin

liz-cheney-censured-wyoming-vote-impeach-donald-tr
Washington Times

S.A. Miller

Monday, January 18, 2021

The Republican Party Central Committee in Carbon County, Wyoming, has censured Rep. Liz Cheney for voting to impeach President Trump, as support for the one-time rising GOP star crumbles in her home state.

The censure resolution passed in a unanimous vote by the 45-member central committee. It included a demand that Ms. Cheney appear before the committee to explain her actions.

“Our representative did not represent our voice,” said Carbon County GOP Chairman Joey Correnti IV, who presented the resolution to the central committee at a Saturday meeting where the vote took place.

The resolution condemns Ms. Cheney for conduct described as defying the will of most Wyoming Republican voters and joining in a rushed impeachment that did not examine all the facts and denied Mr. Trump due process.

The resolution also declared that a “vocal majority of Wyoming Republicans recognize there were significant irregularities” in the Nov. 3 presidential election. 

(Snip)

Liz Cheney gets 2022 primary challenger after Trump impeachment vote

Wyoming state Sen. Anthony Bouchard throws his hat in the ring

Evie Fordham

Jan. 21 2021

Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., one of the top Republicans in the House of Representatives, has a primary challenger for the 2022 election after voting to impeach President Donald Trump.

Wyoming state Sen. Anthony Bouchard threw his hat in the ring, according to a statement of candidacy filed Wednesday with the Federal Election Commission. Bouchard has represented District 6 of Wyoming since 2017, according to Ballotpedia.

WYOMING REPUBLICANS BLAST CHENEY OVER TRUMP IMPEACHMENT VOTE

"I expect Never Trumpers to do this stuff. But Cheney should be run out of town, and back to Virginia for joining the blame game!" Bouchard wrote on Facebook in January after Cheney's impeachment vote.

(Snip)

H/T Legal Insurrection

Few GOP Senators likely to vote for convicting Trump

Paul Mirengoff

January 22, 2021

(Snip)

To me, that seems somewhere between “you’ve got to be kidding” and “not on your life.”

Manchin is a Democrat. Maybe, he’ll vote with his party in the end, assuming he isn’t interested in running for reelection.

But look at some of the Republicans the Post lists as open to conviction: James Inhofe (because he refused to comment), James Lankford (same reason), and Thom Tillis (who said it is “time to move on”). It’s hard for me to imagine any of them voting to convict Trump.

Voting to convict Trump would likely be suicidal for almost any GOP Senator who wants to be reelected in the next two cycles. Trump still enjoys plenty of support among Republican and non-aligned voters. Voting with the Democrats on impeachment would invite a primary and, if the Senator survived it, invite enough Republican defections in the general election to ensure defeat.

And what’s to gain by voting with the Democrats on impeachment? If Trump is convicted, he could then be barred from holding public office in the future by a simple majority vote of the Senate. I assume that many GOP Senators would like that.

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________

Never underestimate the Stupidity of some Republican politicians....See Liz Cheney.

Liz Cheney's theme song

On 1/19/2021 at 8:15 AM, Valin said:
liz-cheney-censured-wyoming-vote-impeach-donald-tr
Washington Times

S.A. Miller

Monday, January 18, 2021

The Republican Party Central Committee in Carbon County, Wyoming, has censured Rep. Liz Cheney for voting to impeach President Trump, as support for the one-time rising GOP star crumbles in her home state.

The censure resolution passed in a unanimous vote by the 45-member central committee. It included a demand that Ms. Cheney appear before the committee to explain her actions.

“Our representative did not represent our voice,” said Carbon County GOP Chairman Joey Correnti IV, who presented the resolution to the central committee at a Saturday meeting where the vote took place.

The resolution condemns Ms. Cheney for conduct described as defying the will of most Wyoming Republican voters and joining in a rushed impeachment that did not examine all the facts and denied Mr. Trump due process.

The resolution also declared that a “vocal majority of Wyoming Republicans recognize there were significant irregularities” in the Nov. 3 presidential election. 

(Snip)

Once upon a time in what seems like a time 'far far away' I used to like Liz Cheney, then the Swamp swallowed her.

2 minutes ago, Geee said:

Once upon a time in what seems like a time 'far far away' I used to like Liz Cheney, then the Swamp swallowed her.

I would like to ask her, What The Hell Were You Thinking! I suspect there were those who were not Fans of Donald Trump, but voted against impeachment, because that wanted to get reelected...ie had a clue.

3 minutes ago, Valin said:

I would like to ask her, What The Hell Were You Thinking! I suspect there were those who were not Fans of Donald Trump, but voted against impeachment, because that wanted to get reelected...ie had a clue.

Yes, I could half ass understand if she was from a liberal state but Wyoming? 

57 minutes ago, Geee said:

Yes, I could half ass understand if she was from a liberal state but Wyoming? 

3 options 1. Her staff in Wyoming are a bunch of morons. 2. They told her and she didn't listen/believe them. 3. She has no plans for getting reelected, or being involved in Republican politics.

• Like 1

Liz Cheney Should Step Away From Leadership For The Sake Of GOP Voters

Mollie Hemingway

January 25, 2021

Liz Cheney’s problems are piling up, according to Politico. The Republican Conference chair has lost the confidence of more than half of the members she purports to lead as the third-highest ranking GOP member in the House of Representatives. She has also garnered a primary challenge and censure back in Wyoming.

“There’s a lot of concern in the conference,” Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, an influential conservative leader, said about Cheney last week.

Much of the disappointment stems from her decision to give her full-throated support to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s rushed second impeachment of President Donald Trump days before he left office. Cheney sided with Democrats and the media in blaming Trump for a mob that attacked the U.S. Capitol.

(Snip)

The House Republican conference can tolerate a member who caters to the Democratic media complex in order to further her personal agenda. However, she can’t be in leadership. The party leadership must be unified in order to effectively fight against the left-wing assaults in the years to come.

This is a fraught time for the republic and for tens of millions of Americans. McCarthy, Scalise, and the other leaders of the House Republicans need to show some leadership on behalf of tens of millions of voters who are genuinely worried about the left’s assaults on the Constitution, the economy, and rule of law. Cheney miscalculated the wisdom of histrionically joining with Democrats in their latest stunt. She should step down. If she needs help to step down, she should be provided that help quickly.

Cheney spending more time back in Wyoming to get more acquainted with the voters she represents, rather than the D.C. peers she’s spent much of her life around, may be just what everyone needs.

Yikes: Liz Cheney trails primary challenger by 33 points in new poll by Trump PAC

Allahpundit

January 28, 2021

Take this with a grain of salt because it’s obviously in Team Trump’s interest for everyone to believe that Cheney’s a dead duck in 2022. There’s a Senate trial coming up, after all. If she’s 33 points behind a no-name challenger, that’s a powerful incentive for any Senate Republicans who might be thinking of voting to convict to think again.

Although … there aren’t any Senate Republicans up for reelection soon who were thinking of voting to convict, so why would Trump need a new poll to scare them? Of the seven who might vote against him, only Lisa Murkowski is on the ballot in 2022. And for various reasons unique to Alaska, Murkowski will be the hardest Republican to unseat.

So I don’t think this poll is chiefly aimed at the Senate trial. It’s aimed at congressional Republicans broadly, going forward: Do not cross Donald Trump. Your career depends on it.

(Snip)

• Shocked 1

@Geee

I have to ask the question. Liz, What In The Hell Were You Thinking? Anyone with the brains god gave an animal cracker Knew voting For impeachment was not going to be seen in a positive light by the Republicans...no matter if they were big Trump supporters or not. 

Liz Cheney’s GOP Civil War Is Here, And She’s Losing

January 29, 2021 By The Federalist Staff

On this episode of “The Federalist Radio Hour,” Federalist Western Correspondent Tristan Justice joins Culture Editor Emily Jashinsky to discuss his dispatch from Rep. Matt Gaetz’s anti-Liz Cheney rally and what it means for the future of the GOP.

“He really branded Liz Cheney as emblematic of the old way of doing things and what the Republican Party had gotten away from under Donald Trump, and what the Republican Party needs to stay away from if they’re going to be successful in the future, and the crowd loved it,” Justice said. “Every single person I spoke to in the crowd, they complained about Liz Cheney, not necessarily because of her impeachment vote. A lot of them said that impeachment was just the last straw, they were already upset with Cheney. … They really just attacked her for being a symbol of the past.”

(Snip)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adam Kinzinger Shouldn’t Be Proud His Family Disowned Him, He Should Be Ashamed

John Daniel Davidson

February 2, 2021

Politics sometimes does strange and sad things to people, especially to elected officials in Washington. Sometimes it makes them forget who they are—or become someone else entirely. In the case of Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger, it seems to have confused his loyalties: in exchange for attaboys from Twitter blue-checks and MSNBC, he turned on his own family.

Kinzinger is one of just 10 GOP lawmakers who last month voted to impeach former President Donald Trump. He and the other Republicans who broke with their party—including Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 House Republican—have understandably faced harsh criticism from their constituents and fellow Republicans over what many view as a craven betrayal, not just of Trump but of the voters they are supposed to represent.

In Kinzinger’s case, it seems some of his own family members are among those who feel angry and betrayed. They told him so in no uncertain terms, sending his office a certified letter disowning him and, in a bizarre twist, *claiming he is possessed by the devil.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

* Is there such a thing as a Demon of Stupidity?

House Republicans Prepare To Oust Liz Cheney From Leadership

Republicans are gearing up for a referendum on Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney's role in House leadership this week.

Tristan Justice

February 2, 2021

House Republicans are gearing up for a referendum on Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney’s role in leadership this week after she supported Democrats’ rushed second impeachment of former President Donald Trump.

(Snip)

“I like Liz personally,” said another member on condition of anonymity, “but she should not be in leadership. You can’t throw your members under the bus. You can’t be a talking point Democrats use against every other member.”

A poll out last week reveals Cheney’s popularity in Wyoming plummeted following her latest stunt. A survey conducted by Trump pollster John McLaughlin found only 10 percent of GOP primary voters reported willingness to vote for their at-large representative in next year’s party contest. Only 13 percent said they would support the incumbent’s re-election in the general pending survival in the primary.

“If Liz Cheney had a rally with all of her supporters, they could likely meet inside one of the elevators in the capital, and still have plenty of room for social distancing,” Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz blasted outside the Wyoming statehouse to hundreds demonstrating their opposition to Cheney in Cheyenne last week.

(Snip)

• Like 1

Liz Cheney adopts Democrat talking point

Paul Mirengoff

February 4, 2021

I like Liz Cheney and respect that she followed her conscience by voting to impeach Donald Trump. There was a case for impeaching him, though not one that I found persuasive.

But there’s little to like in Cheney’s remarks to colleagues at last night’s closed-door GOP House conference meeting, as reported here. Cheney lectured the caucus, saying:

I have to tell you I am really, deeply, deeply concerned about where we are as a party. . . .

I’m also concerned we have to stand up. I owe you the truth, I owe my constituents the truth, you owe us the truth, we all owe each other that, and the truth is: We cannot become the party of QAnon, we cannot become the party of Holocaust denial, we cannot become the party of white supremacy.

We all watched in horror on what happened on January 6. We had a memorial service this morning for Officer Sicknick, one of the things that we saw on January 6 were members of the mob attempting to break into this building and breaking into this building wearing badges of Neo-Nazis, wearing the symbols of white supremacy—that can never be us.

If we ever want to win another election, if we ever want to get back to the point where we are fighting and battling and convincing people that they ought to support us, we have to do it on ideals. We are the party of Lincoln. We are the party of Reagan. We believe in honor and courage, limited government and low taxes. We believe in a stronger national defense and, mostly, we believe in fidelity to the Constitution of the United States.

(Emphasis added)

The Republican Party is not the party of QAnon, Holocaust denial, or white supremacy. It is in no danger of becoming that.

(Snip)

Top Comment

metanoia an hour ago

I wonder if that is the same speech she would give to her constituents who think her stance on impeachment stinks to high heaven? Cheney is an embarrassment...but she doesn't care.

1 hour ago, Valin said:

We cannot become the party of QAnon, we cannot become the party of Holocaust denial, we cannot become the party of white supremacy.

She forgot deplorables:angry:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Geee said:

She forgot deplorables:angry:

Once again I ask Liz the question What The Hell Are You Thinking Lady?  Too much time in DC., bad for your soul.

Thing is any number of those who voted Not to impeach Trump Don't like him. They understood something Liz doesn't. There are times when despite your personal feeling, You Vote The Tribe. Donald Trump Is the chief of The GOP Tribe...you vote for the Tribe....Doubley so if you're from Wy.

• 5 months later...

Gosh, Never Saw This One Coming! :D

Cheney in trouble: 77% GOP would not reelect, 53% call her ‘liberal’

Paul Bedard, Washington Secrets Columnist

July 30, 2021

Embattled Rep. Liz Cheney’s position on charges President Donald Trump played a role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has not turned around her negative ratings back home in Wyoming, and now she’s on the verge of losing her reelection.

In polling data provided to Secrets, just 23% of regular primary Republicans plan to vote for her, 77% said they won’t.

And as bad, her image as a conservative like her father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, has also been hurt. In the McLaughlin & Associates survey, 53% described her as liberal, and only 26% labeled her conservative.

(Snip)

As I have said before What The Hell Was She Thinking!